Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Hey vegan goons, I don't recall if I've ever actually posted in here, but I've been vegan for about a year and a half and have been following the thread since around then, and one of my goals for the new year has been to be more proactive and engage more often with the cooking/recipe community since about 6 months ago I transitioned from junk food/fast food vegan to pretty much entirely cooking meals from scratch at home. Also big thank you to everyone who shares recipes and especially Tycho 'cause the kinds of recipes that form a kind of thread trend has given me a ton of help in building my own toolkit.

I'm pretty budget-focused with my cooking (read: Poor) so I prioritized putting together a rudimentary Indian-focused spice pantry because I loving love pulses, and have found myself in a decent spot playing around with dal dishes using coconut fat as a base. Historically, though, I've preferred vinegar-based dishes since coconut fat gets a little too sweet for my tastes (I don't overtly care for Thai curries either), and am planning to start playing around with vinegar more actively soon. Does anyone here have any brand or style they prefer to use in cooking? Most recipes seem to just call for white vinegar, nebulously, which I imagine is probably fine to leave nebulous but if there's an alternative or preferred brand that'd kick it up a notch I'm looking to invest in a bottle.

And as a small regional brag, here in Phoenix a lot of Mexican families I grew up around supplement their income by doing urban gardening, and I bought a bunch of hatch-style chiles from a family (who loving hooked me up) earlier in the year and it was an absurdly good choice. I'm just running out now and am very stoked for when they start growing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Vinestalk posted:

I know this isn't the thread for it, but there are some awesome vegan restaurants in Phoenix. I can post them in the Arizona / Phoenix LAN thread if you'd like.

https://ohsheglows.com/2009/05/30/banana-apple-coconut-curry/

Don't I know it. Tempe local, born and raised, I don't really feel the urge to eat out much, but when I do we are absolutely loving spoiled with good options. I'll also be adding that recipe to my list--even if I'm not super into sweet curries the ingredients hit a curiosity nerve and now I gotta try it.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Glad to hear it!

Also, ThePagey, I forgot to mention - you talk about coconut fat...

Oh for sure, the choice of coconut fat was 100% a convenience decision since it's relatively cheap and I can pick it up when I do my daily shopping at the grocer on the corner when I plan my meals. For the most part the post was intended to be a hey, what's up, and to see if anyone has a take on if I should try to find a choice of white vinegar beyond the cheap poo poo I can get at Albertsons--which I figured wouldn't be the case but that's cool with me.

We have a huge selection of family-owned Punjabi-style restaurants here and a tofu-based saag "paneer" is next up on my list of dishes to learn once I go through my current stock of perishables.

ETA: Though, Vinestalk, 100% do pop over to the Arizona thread 'cause I'll take any opportunity to gush about my favorite vegan joints peppered across (mostly) the East Valley, see you there.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 16, 2020

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
I made a lentil bolognese the other day and I'm proud to say that it was bad!

The recipe I used as a base (which I will not be sharing for hopefully obvious reasons) made some weird calls for how to cook the lentils themselves which I should have trusted my gut and cooked them normally since I, like, am quite confident I know how to not gently caress up lentils--but it ended up requiring a lot of adjustments mid-cooking in order to avoid them being unacceptably crunchy. I'm certain most of it was my fault in the end, but it was a good opportunity for learning, and I'm glad for it at least.

It has also prompted me to start loving around with making tomato sauces from scratch instead of using jarred sauces wholecloth or mixing and matching, which isn't really all that complicated or groundbreaking but is something I should have done a long time ago.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

lord1234 posted:

My new GF is vegan, and also gluten-free. I’m not a vegan, but am trying vegetarianism. Valentine’s Day is coming up quickly, and I’d like to cook a dinner together for V Day(primarily because her dining restrictions make it really hard to go out, second cuz I couldn’t find a proper reservation!).

Can someone recommend a nice dinner to cook at home that would be fun for a couple to cook together? Ideally two courses, paired with wine(wine is gluten free right?!)

I have access to all sorts of tools and such(blender/instant pot/kitchen aid/sous vide)

I 100% recommend making a pasta dish together from scratch--it's more fun if you don't have a machine, too, imo. I've done spinach pasta in the past, which you can make into, functionally, any style you want. Hanging out, sipping white wine, and loving around trying to make like pumpkin-filled ravioli is 100% my style of Valentine's day evening, but the options are functionally unlimited. That, and it's pretty easy to make things you know you'll like since, I assume, you've had various pasta dishes before.

Tomato-based sauces are an option, though that requires a bit of waiting around to let them cook which can be fine if you budget time for it (or just say gently caress it and let it take however long it takes). BUT I've had a lot of success in the past making pestos with other people. You can make them out of basically any green vegetable you want and adjust to taste and if you gently caress it up you can always have a jar of Prego or some poo poo on hand to save the meal.

Also put that blender to use and learn to make some cashew-based Not Parmesan(TM). It's absurdly simple and the results are super worth having on hand for dishes that call for it.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Also echoing the positive sentiments from the last two dozen posts or so, the thread's been excellent and the OP has helped a lot and it's genuinely, unironically really nice to participate in an environment with other vegans/plant-based food eaters that is primarily positive and supportive and clearly allows the chance to address any conflict that does come up in a healthy mostly drama-free way.

On the topic of cooking: This isn't even remotely something I'd even call a "dish" but I thought it was funny so I'm sharing it anyway.

I woke up at 5PM after getting way drunker than I meant to last night and was craving salt like a motherfucker, and for neighborhood-children based reasons I didn't want to walk the 5 minutes to the store to pick up any veggies and decided to just make an absurdly simple miso broth instead of the hangover stew/soup I had in mind.

Lemme tell you, there's something very funny-sad about standing in front of a stove, nauseous as hell, looking into a saucepan that is currently boiling nothing but 2 cups of water and a few half-crushed thai chilis knowing you're about to squirt some store-bought squeeze-tube miso paste in and call it a meal.

Tasted pretty good though.

On that same note: Does anyone have any experience with making their own miso paste that might be able to toss some methods or recipes (it feels weird calling it a recipe? I'm not sure why) they prefer? I've been wanting to get into fermenting and pickling stuff a lot lately and figure I might as well start with miso for the former and ginger for the latter. I'm guessing early on it might be a lot of trial and error?

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Yo, does anyone use any particular recipe for a teriyaki-style sauce they happen to like? Preferably something super Americanized that I can just dump on whatever I happen to be making instead of the (also obviously Americanized) marinade.

I've been free-wheeling it for a while now to varying degrees of success. I have it down to something, like, comfortable, with soy sauce, mirin, sugar, spice rack ginger, and cornstarch as a thickener. I usually just make enough of it to handle whatever I'm making (which, is usually just some poor-man's fried rice), but I'm thinking I want to make a batch in bulk and see if I can get something I like consistently down.

And this is completely unrelated to that--but does anyone have any grocer they like or advice in general on picking up (and, if possible, storing) some kind of versatile mushroom? And, with that, what kind they happen to like? Paying like $5 for 8oz of white mushrooms at Albertsons feels loving bad. If the answer is "Go to your farmers market like you should be doing anyway" that makes a lot of sense, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

Jaded Burnout posted:

What are your preferences for animal milk replacements for breakfast cereals? Doesn't have to taste like milk, just taste good with your typical flaked grain cereals.

I drink vanilla almond milk for a long loving time, right up until I tried oat milk and I haven't even considered going back. It is definitely a personal taste thing, and my lactase deficient-rear end never really drank milk before switching to a vegan diet anyway, but vanilla oat milk has the sweetness and the consistency that hits in a way other plant-based milks don't. I don't really do boxed cereal anymore but when I do it rules, and it's 100% my opinion that it's the best option for oatmeal--at least when you basically turn it into a dessert like I do.

Unsweetened oat milk is also my preference by far for when I actually do buy storebought junk food (Read: Literally only mint oreos) so it's, uh, versatile?