Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Awesome post, thank you. My local groceries only carry the vegan shreds that don't melt and taste chalky, so making my own cheese looks to be a good option.

Now I just need to find a source of semi-cheap cashews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

coolanimedad posted:

Amazon has a huge planters tub of 3 lb for like 16$

They sure do, thanks for the heads up!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

My first time cooking from the Veganomicon. Made the Greek tofu Benedict and it's DELICIOUS.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah TVP can be fried up and flavored however to give a nice crispy crunchy texture to tacos or chili or whatever. It rules

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Any tips on making rejuvelac and other cultured things?

I made a batch of rejuvelac using quinoa, but by the time it was fermented a bit and ready to use (2-3 days), it had bluish mold floating on top. It's supposed to sit in a room temperature area, so how can I avoid that?

Same thing happened when I tried to use it to make vegan cheese, it had to sit for a couple days, and ended up getting moldy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ras Het posted:

rejuvelac (what the gently caress is that anyway)

It's just sprouted grains left in water for a few days til it turns tangy, basically.

Thanks for the tips, folks. I may not return to making cheese the rejuvelac way, adding something from the store pre-fermented might be an easier option.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
We had an all-vegan Thanksgiving and it was SO GOOD.

- Mushroom wellington
- Mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy
- Green bean casserole
- Cranberry sauce (homemade, of course)
- Apple pie with homemade crust (Martha Stewart's recipe!)

It was all so good and I can 1000% vouch for those recipes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Skwirl posted:

Are most vegan mayo's the same?
Hellman's is the best tasting, in my opinion.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah I think my go to recipe every year was basically that with an egg cracked in for binding, but I'm going to try some flax instead. How does flax fry up?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You can just leave the flax out!

Fair point!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

scuz posted:

I bought 5 pounds of cashews cuz they were on sale ($22 for the bag) and my first attempt at cheese REALLY sucked, please share your favorite cashew cheese recipes.

Also curious about this. I tried a few recipes from miyokos book and they turned out bad

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

OMGVBFLOL posted:

ive never had latkes but as a kid i was always kinda envious at the idea of having as a holiday tradition of what i imagined were hashbrowns

Celebrating Hanukkah rules because it's literally a mitvah to eat a lot of oily food. Hella donuts and latkes.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Man, I appreciate my family and my in law family making an effort to provide vegan food options at family gatherings, but come on there are more vegan options than hummus. I must have eaten 3 pounds of hummus over the last couple weeks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mango Polo posted:

Celebrated 2 years as a vegan last week, never knew there was a thread here :3:

One recipe from home I've yet to nail down is the Peruvian huancaina sauce. It's a far cry, but if anyone here has some recommendations I'd gladly take them.

New year's day was one year for me :3:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Tarte tatin is basically just... saute some stuff in a pan, cover with puff pastry, and put in the oven, right? Because I have about a hundred ideas of ways to use that.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait how is pressing/freezing tofu a white people thing

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Echoing what others have said, this thread is great and has a great OP and thank you for the work you've done TC <3

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've been dying to try out this recipe, just obviously minus any animal products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqoyt4vsPA

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
We had a completely vegan seder yesterday, and it was awesome. Ignore the dirty stove, that was after 4 hours of frantic cooking because we had a Zoom date and I was hurrying.

Vegetable soup with homemade matzo balls, cast iron shepherd's pie with parsnip, mushroom, red wine, walnuts, etc. It was soo goood...

And a vegan seder plate! It's acceptable to replace the egg with an avocado, and replace the lamb shank with a roasted beet. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'd have to find the recipe again (fiancee has it in an ebook on her phone), but it was matzo meal, potato starch, baking soda, water, oil, spices. The key was refrigerating first, then boiling, then letting them sit for a while to get hard before adding them to the soup right before serving. It's tough to keep them binded without any egg.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's really interesting, thanks for explaining!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Bulgar wheat adds a great texture to chili :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mata posted:

Lao Gan Ma is a popular brand of chili oil with Szechuan peppers and is downright addictive. It does a lot more work in a dish than normal chili oil

Lan Gao Ma is the secret weapon to turn any vegetable from "good" to "HOLY poo poo"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm making Roy Choi's recipe this weekend:
https://www.poketo.com/blogs/journal/recipe-roy-choi-s-kimchi

I'm just leaving out the fish sauce/oyster sauce and the seafood (though using a little miso paste sounds like a great idea, maybe a touch of hoisin to make up for the oyster sauce)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I dived into Ethiopian cuisine recently with shiro wat, and I'm shocked at how easy it is to make.

Mix up some chick pea flour and berbere spice, mix with water; fry up some onions/garlic/tomato and then dump in the liquid and cook for ten minutes. I don't have access to injera, but dipping sourdough into it was so delicious. I even made a vegan nitter kibeh by just infusing some olive oil with a bunch of spices and kosseret.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for vegan Ethiopian food? I have all this berbere, kosseret, and black cardamom I ordered that I want to use in fun ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You're the best, Tycho