Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I'm not vegan, and I find most meat-substitute recipes to be offensively bad. I prefer to eat vegan food that is good on its own merits, but this is a rare exception.

Vegan Pulled "Pork" BBQ Jackfruit
http://www.moreveganblog.com/2014/06/28/bbq-pulled-jackfruit/

I made this again with some friends last night, and it was a hit. Used Stubb's BBQ sauce which was pretty solid. From the last time I made it:

Instead of simmering the jackfruit in broth, I removed this step altogether. I want crispy caramelized "meat" and boiling is going the wrong direction.
I used a salad spinner, then spread the jackfruit on a few layers of paper towel and patted it down to remove as much moisture as possible before tossing with the spices.
Next time I will add tomato paste and MSG to this spice mix to up the umami quotient. I also toyed with the idea of adding melted butter or shortening to introduce some fat & richness that is otherwise missing.
Use a good amount of oil/butter during pan frying. Don't burn anything.
Use just enough sauce to bind the fruit and then make sure it roasts until caramelized.

I found it to be most convincing when served with pickles and slaw. A buttered, toasted bun also goes a long way. The key is to add as many other elements as possible to distract from the lack of pork (just being honest).

We did half of it with a Mustard BBQ sauce that was a hit, but I preferred the spicy Sweet Baby Rays version.

Next time I'm going to make Jackfruit "char siu" bao, which might be a pretty decent adaptation.

ZetsurinPower fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU