Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good OP TychoCelchuuu.
I'm not a vegan, but I eat a lot of vegan meals due to budget and sometimes being sick of meat.
The weather is cold right now, so I'm making a vegetable soup (probably with butternut squash and spinach), a bean stew, and either aloo gobi or tikil gomen this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm a doctor on the internet. You need a dose of chilli peppers. Go buy some fresh chillies to chop up and practice your chopping for 1hr, or lube up with a good hot sauce for a quickie.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
What's everyone's favorite hummus recipe?
I just had hummus and some celery for dinner today and was just winging it from memory.

I used 3/4 cup chana dal (it's peeled and split chickpeas so quicker cook time and you don't have to worry about skins)
juice of 1/2 a lemon (need more acidity in the end so I added 1T of vinegar as well, but the juice of a whole lemon would be better and not need any vinegar)
1tsp cumin seeds crushed in a mortar and pestle
1/4 t salt
2 T of some old tahini I homemade a couple of months ago (it's only sesame seeds and oil and keeps for ages in the fridge)
pinch of black pepper
pinch strongly smoked paprika
3 cloves garlic (found it very strong, suggest 2)
1/4 t smoked dried yellow 7 pot chilli pepper (add whatever chilli you like, I only needed 1/4 t since these are 800000 shus)
dash olive oil

I pressure cooked the channa dal (unsoaked) for 9 min, chilled them and reserved 1/4 cup of cooking water (chilled that too)

Blended everything, ate 2 celery sticks with hummus, feel pretty boss. (My partner went out for dinner with their family, leaving me home alone). They all wanted to go to a $45 buffet. gently caress that, bit too pricey for me and I don't eat that much, I hate buffets, and all you can eat places are a rip off in prices here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 2, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thanks for that, I've never heard of an Indian potatoes and cabbage curry. I do that combo quite frequently but base it on the Ethiopian dish "Tikil Gomen", though it's evolved from the traditional basic one pot dish to "roast potatoes, onions, garlic with braised cabbage, carrots, ginger, chilli, tumeric and cumin".

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 5, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I always like it when you post pics and recipes.
What''s the story about your homemade dijon mustard though?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thanks. I'll have to look up where to even buy yellow mustard seeds. I only have Indian black/brown seeds and mustard powder

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Thanks. I've done missir wat before a few times but now I'm going to look up yetakelt wet, plus also mograbieh.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Stinky_Pete posted:

Hi everyone, I've found a simple meal I like in the morning called toast with canned salmon salad with pickled red onions and microgreens on top. I figured I don't really need to eat canned salmon all the time, so does anyone have ideas for what I can use in its place?

Some kind of black bean mash?

A lot of people make vege patties with mashed black beans (E: or pinto beans). Some add oats, others breadcrumbs.
grated onion and carrot, with cumin, chili, mustard, ketchup, soy sauce/tamari are the usual additions (2E: grating some onion is important as it works well as a binder)

Otherwise make some hummus with chickpeas (or buy it). I like olives so I'd love to be able to buy shitloads of tapenade instead.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 19, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'd be interested in some bean salad recipes as it's summer here right now. I was thinking of picking up some cans of 4 bean mix or lentils as they are on sale and doing some sort of salad with them.
I've already picked up 2 cans each of black beans, kidney beans, cannelinni beans, pinto beans and chickpeas for my meals below when the weather gets cooler. The cans are half price again so works out the same as dried beans, and not having my own kitchen anymore sucks when I want to do lots of bean cooking or any stew in general. I have to share the kitchen and hardly get any time in it.

For black beans, I do something similar to the above frijoles negros. With dried beans I have read old (maybe traditional recipes) where half the trinity goes in with the unsoaked beans and they are simmered for hours. The beans absorbing some flavour, the veg turning into some sort of stock. Then the rest of the trinity and spices are sauted and added.
Can version is just saute the veg, the spices, add drained beans and cover with veg stock for 30min-1 hr

For cannellini beans I do pasta e fagioli. I've posted a non vegetarian and non vegan recipe before but I can clean it up if anyone cares.

For kidney beans I do a creole beans and rice (posted before), or skip some creole spices and sauces and up the chilli to make a "bean chili"

For chickpeas I do an Indian curry. Mustard seed, cumin seed, onion or aestofida. pumpkin or butternut, cauliflower, turmeric and garam masala or curry powder in a tomato or coconut milk sauce, optional spinach. Pro-move is roast the pumpkin with garam masala and roast the cauliflower with the turmeric before adding to the curry.

E: for pinto beans I just do a veg version of frijole charros with tomato or borrachos/drunken beans with some beer or spirits or make refried beans for wraps and salad

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Also not all beans are dried or canned. About 8 weeks ago I planted some chinese red long noodle/yardlong noodle beans and starting to get some. The seeds were 6 years old from 2 house moves before and I had no idea if they were still viable or if they would go OK in a pot. 3 out of 4 seeds germinated and started growing real quick

The beans grow about 1-2" a day. Only 1 plant got the head start on a pair of beans but others are now flowering and growing beans.
Going to make a nice veg stirfry when I get a couple more large ones and after I buy some veg and nuts.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Nah, I've done it with pinto beans and black beans many times before, years ago
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post452059948
Heaps of people here and elsewhere have said they cook beans without soaking as well (either pressure cooker, stove top or crockpot)

I only started doing it because I read so many recipes that did it that way too. It's only kidney beans I worry about (soak and precook plain if dry)

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/soaking-salting-dried-bean-myths-article

plus whatever place that ken or something guy writes for that this forum loves.

E: serious eats and to be fair it wasn't kenji that wrote it http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/beans-legumes-pulses-varieties-recipes-cooking-tips.html but Kenji has said it too (see the LA times article later)

quote:

So I'm going dried. Do I need to soak my beans?
The idea behind soaking your beans is that an extended bath will soften the seed coat, reducing the ultimate cook time while simultaneously leaching out some of the flatulent elements in the bean (more on that in a minute). But we've found that black beans (and likely other thin-skinned beans, such as black-eyed peas, pinto beans, and lentils) can actually fare better without a soak. Unsoaked, they take only a bit longer to cook, and there's no significant impact on their, erm, digestibility.

nyt says soak or don't soak, doesn't matter
https://cooking.nytimes.com/guides/21-how-to-cook-beans

la times
http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-dont-soak-dried-beans-20140911-story.html

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I've never seen them with olives or wine before, what the hell is that poo poo? Cumin seeds is superior to cumin powder so you did nothing wrong - 1/2 tsp is nothing anyway.
Frijoles negros has always the been the best bean stew for me too, although it is not photogenic.
As soon as black beans were easily available here it's my go to for bean stews. Apple cider, red wine or balsamic vinegar usually works fine anyway - I usually do 1tsp of one type and 1 tsp of another so it's not just 'one note' vinegar flavour. (E: adjust for more at the end of course)

But anyway, there's a bean thread I guess, so it shouldn't be all about beans here. Looking forward to frying up the remainder of my veg for a stirfry with garlic and soy tomorrow.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 28, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Berbere spice is good. I made some for missir wat ages ago, and when I went for a creole, texmex or mexican spice mix last week I found my home premade stuff missing and most needed components as well. Ever since I moved here stuff has been thrown out. So I went with berbere mix instead and it was good .
Nearly every missir wat recipe I have uses tomato: some just tomato paste, others a whole can, or 1-2 fresh ones. Normally a lot of onion too: 1 large - 2 medium. Personally I use more ginger and less berbere powder (my stuff was hot!)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 31, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Zenithe posted:

Salt did help, and cooking it with stock will probably help a lot with that, so I'll try that next time. The lemon is a good suggestion too, I'll put some on the leftovers and see how that goes.

A surprising amount of them contain dairy, but there are usually plenty of vegan varieties.

Every time I cook something simple like that I always use stock, plenty of seasoning and finish with lemon and a green. A vinegar can work as long if it's a nice one, but lemon is the best. For a green - spinach, silverbeet, kale, mustard greens, beet greens etc

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I bought some ages ago to make soy milk and tofu. I tried a couple of times but stopped bothering.
I tried them as a regular bean substitute and they were underwhelming to eat like that. About a year later they became a pantry moth breeding ground so I threw them out and I doubt I'd ever buy them again.
I found out later they are best roasted if not making milk or tofu.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 23, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Zenithe posted:

Had some mixed success with some lentil burgers, or rather, lentil hash.

1 cup dried lentil of choice (I used channa dal, which I think is the split inside of a chickpea?)
1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds
1/2 a cup of oats (I used the smashed up type that cooks faster)
1 diced onion
1 diced carrot.
salt, pepper

Fry carrot and onion until soft.
Shape everything into patties which immediately break into a dozen pieces and fry it up.

Tasted great, but wasn't according to plan.

Channa dal is split chickpeas, but not the regular large ones, they are desi chickpeas (smaller and have a dark skin). Regular chickpeas have white/light skin and are larger so they are usually kept whole. Similar flavour but not quite as 'nutty'.
I've used chana dal as a substitute for chickpeas a few times as they cook quick from dry and it's faster to make hummus with them compared to dry chickpeas

E: also I mentioned this before, don't precook the onion next time. Just grate it and add raw and it's gooey liquid works well as a binder.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 4, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Harissa goes good in kisir. Or you could put some in with a caponata and pasta (E; but a caponata is pretty close to what you cooked, but missing capers and olives).

Next time you do something like that recipe, I would probably use butternut pumpkin and cauliflower - they're my go to veg for simmering. Or if you want to use things like zucchini, eggplant and capsicum then roast or grill them separately and add them near the end.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 9, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Today I veganed.
No money but my brother gave me a lemon and my mum gave me a leek. So what the hell, chana masala with a leek and 1/2 a lemon and dino.'s lemon rice with the other half a lemon and all the zest. Plus I threw in some green chillies and silverbeet I grow. If anyone cares I'll add start point recipes.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

dino. posted:

Wait, I actually wrote down the drat lemon rice recipe? I thought I just threw out a quick youtube video of it. What is this recipe you speak of.

I have 3 versions! I used to prod and ask questions to you about it often, getting slight changes each time

The last one I used:

quote:

Dinos lemon rice
Cook the rice then spread it out onto a surface to cool off. It doesn't need to get cold, but it needs to be cooled down so that you can easily mix it with your hands, (the best way to mix it all together is with your hands. Any stirring or serving utensil will mush the rice too much. )

The white urad daal is there for a nutty flavor. If you have other nuts, use those in addition to white urad daal. If you cannot get white urad daal, simply use sesame seed or any other nut, be they cashews, or peanuts, or almond slivers. Asafoetida is there for authentic flavor and aroma. If you don’t have it, don’t use it.

Ingredients:
4 cups cooked and cooled rice
2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
½ teaspoon whole mustard seeds
½ teaspoon whole cumin seeds
¼ teaspoon turmeric
Juice and zest of one to two lemons
Optional:
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida (if you can’t find it, omit it)
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root (not powdered—if you don’t have fresh, omit it)
¼ teaspoon white urad daal, or sesame seeds
Salt, to taste

Traditional Method:
Cook the rice and cool down to room temperature.
Use a skillet or wok to heat up the peanut or canola oil. When the oil gets hot enough that a small wisp of smoke escapes the surface, add the mustard seeds. The mustard seeds should begin popping.

When the popping subsides, add the cumin seeds and urad daal or sesame. Add the asafoetida, and wait for the popping of the cumin to subside.

Add optional nuts and cook until are toasted. Add the turmeric. Stir it through well, and make sure that the turmeric cooks for about 30 - 45 seconds over the heat. If it doesn't cook well, turmeric has a horrible taste.
{fo3 edit: stir through the rice now)
Finally, add the grated ginger, and turn off the heat. Ginger cooks extremely quickly, and does not require the flame to be on. Slam on the lid, and walk away from the stove. The ginger will cook in the residual heat.

While you wait for the ginger to "cook", zest and juice your lemon. Feel comfortable in knowing that your ginger and spices won't burn, because the stove is off. Life is good.

Open the lid of the spice pot, and pour in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir gently to combine.

Variations: There are many times when the situation is less than ideal. I may have forgotten to buy the lemons, or the lemon juice, and I've got all of a teaspoon of the stuff lying around. I can't find my ginger, because I used it in something else in a fit of inspiration. I used up the last of the nuts the night before while sitting on my duff, and watching Golden Girls. Either way, life can sometimes end up in ways you don't want for it to end up.

1) If I'm running extremely low on lemon juice, I sprinkle in a small dab of citric acid (which can be found in bulk in most Indian stores) to amp up the lemony taste. Citrc acid keeps forever, and is good for when I've not got the time to make lemons happen.

3) When I run out of ginger, I don't panic at all. That's when I slide in a few cloves of smashed garlic, or a bit of chopped onion. As I come from a Brahmin house, this is strictly Not Done, but seeing as how my family does eat garlic and onion, many of those recipes are done from tradition or not having garlic or onion lying around. These days, however, I find that it's easier to keep garlic or onion in stock than ginger, which tends to turn on me rather quickly.

The one from the GWS link is one of the versions I had, I went with the above one for more variations. There's another that I had that was mainly preamble, so I condensed whatever was in that one and added to the above, omitting stuff I already knew or didn't want.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 18, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Buy a big bag of sesame seeds. When you want some tahini pan roast or broil sesame seeds and grind them up. voila tahini

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Chana masala, kerala kadala, korma curry style (no authentic name as it's a mixture of authentic and hipster poo poo I think, I just meddled with recipes that have want I want and like)
I often don't serve it with rice, just load the curry with veg like roasted butternut pumpkin/squash and cauliflower, or potato, peas and spinach.
I some times do it with tomatoes, onion, garlic, garam masala, chilli; or other times I do it with ginger, coconut milk, curry powder and tamarind (kind of southern style)

E: I like them in warm or cold salads too. Cook them, add cumin and oil and then broil grill or roast them, serve them with some kissir, tabbouleh and bbq grilled or roasted pumpkin and zuchinni with some greens and tomato and cucs or with lemon couscous or something.
Also of course raw chickpeas are great for falafels but I'm trying to avoid suggesting that and hummus

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 11, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Zenithe posted:

I made Ful Medames for the first time using this recipe.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/ful-medames-slow-cooked-fava-beans-lentils

It wasn't great, but I've heard good things about this dish so if anyone has a favourite recipe they'd like to share I'm keen to try it again.

e. also this dish is easily the most disgusting looking meal I've ever made.

Think of it as a real simple recipe with basic flavours, like the bean version of the pasta dish aglio e olio. It can be good but there's nowhere to hide if quality of ingredients aren't top notch. Has to be freshly roasted and ground cumin, has to be a good lemon, has to be not too stale beans.

Personally I skip simpler recipes like that and the only bean recipes I cook are either mire poix, sofrito, trinity or curry based - so recipes from Europe, America, Mexico, Caribbean and Indian. (exception of chickpea based ones, ie I don't have the same restrictions on them and they work well in simpler dishes)
I start with either a pantry worth of curry spices for Indian, or I only use recepies based on needs celery, onion, garlic, carrot or capsicum (mire poix, sofrito, trinity based ones).
All my bean recipes are ones that need herbs (parsley, basil, thyme, rosemary or coriander), needs pepper or chilli, needs spice like cumin, coriander, allspice, paprika or tumeric. Needs umami either from tomato paste, soy or something (taste it and if it's not there add it with those is my method), and pro move is if you separately caramelize the onions first and then remove ( to add back later after sauteing the rest of the veg and spices) there will be sweetness you can balance with lemon juice, lime, apple cider/red wine/balsamic vinegar (or cheat and add brown sugar)
E: of course lemon can work with a recipe that just has some rich fruity evoo drizzled on top and parsley as well, no need for sugar or caramelizing onions really - I'm just a big fan of sofritto/mirepoix or trinity based recipes that have some depth and sweetness.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 3, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

The Midniter posted:

Curry powder is also awesome on roasted chickpeas.

I reckon either sumac or garam masala would be great too. I usually just use fresh ground cumin though.

I made my own berbere spice mix about a year ago and I must of added too much of something, or used something stale because while it smelled great when fried something in it was overbearing in my bean stews.
E; My berbere was:
Makes about 4T, most recipes only need 2T
2T sweet paprika – (maybe add ¼ tsp smoked paprika too.)
2 tsp chilli powder or flakes (I used my own grown chillies that were really hot so I cut back here, 1-2 T is the norm)
1 tsp cumin seeds or powdered cumin
1/2 tsp coriander seed (or powder)
1/2 tsp cardamom seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fenugreek seed (or powder)
1/4 tsp black peppercorns
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

It could have old ground cloves or fenugreek that put me off it

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 11, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Every time it's on sale I buy a can or two but I immediately use them with some Thai curry paste for a curry because I love some thai curry.

Most of the time I feel like a thai curry I don't have any coconut milk because I already used it and it's not on sale so I don't bother for a month or two :(
When that happens I do a veg stirfry with fried rice because you can throw anything in it, finish off with some rice wine vinegar, soy, sesame oil, lao gan ma chilli oil, green onions and sesame seeds and dinner is done.
It's a nice change of pace from veg and beans and rice or beans and salad pita wraps etc so that's what I did tonight. Last week was all falafels and salad wraps, week before was black beans or kidney bean chili and rice.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 21, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

froglet posted:

It tastes fine? Like I'm usually wary of anything that calls for a whole tablespoon of some spice but it seemed to work out okay. I fed it to my volunteering buddies and they asked if they could take home leftovers... So it must have been ok and my tastebuds aren't just crazy.

A tablespoon of cumin seeds, which are then toasted and ground isn't a huge amount for a big pot of something that makes enough to feed a crew of workmates.
Though you got to be aware as an aussie that our tablespoons are bigger than US or whatever country the recipe comes from. US standard tablespoon is 3 tsp/15ml. Aus standard tablespoon is 4tsp/20ml for some dumb CWA reason.
E: should be right if you bought your measuring spoons from china :D

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 5, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
The original british tablespoon was 18ml, we rounded up while everyone else rounded down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Eeyo posted:

I've been thinking about making some vegan sushi (or kimbap). Any good filling ideas? I'd like to try to make a few different varieties. Cucumber and Avocado obviously. I was also thinking about fried tofu or some kind of chickpea preparation. I figure hummus could replace the rich/creamy element that's missing. What other vegetables would be good?

I usually do the standard cucumber and carrot, as well as shitake mushroom and green (Usually raw spinach or silverbeet tossed in a pan to wilt while the mushrooms are finishing).
Avocado with carrot, tofu with shitake, Bell pepper (capsicum) with greens or herbs like coriander roots or even scallions sound good too, but I've never tried those combos.