Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where exactly is this mythical 1:1 potato:mole population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, preemptive apology that this question is right at the edge of this thread’s boundaries:

I’ve been making vegan black beans for a little over a year now, trying different variants of prep methods, seasonings, vegetables, etc. What I’ve had to come to terms with is that they still don’t taste as “well rounded” as beans that include a little bacon etc. I briefly tried MSG to increase the umaminess, and it didn’t work; also left a weird taste. I tried a batch with some olive oil and couldn’t tell a difference—maybe I didn’t use enough?

My question is, are there recommended substitutes for animal fats? I found a product called “Magic Vegan Bacon Grease” (or just “Vegan Magic”) that seemed like it might be what I’m looking for, but by all appearances it fell off the face of the earth in spring of 2019.

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Update on my quest to make better-tasting beans...

Allstone posted:

For vegan baked beans I try to use a combination of oil, msg (or msg-providing components), and (liquid) smoke. If you have soy sauce or vegan fish sauce that might taste more rounded to you than powdered msg. You may also need to use more oil than you expect; I just used a neutral oil, but something that's solid at room temperature might be worth trying.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Tamari and vegan worcestershire also work if you don't have soy sauce.

Animal fat is just fat so anything like oil, shortening, and margarine will work.

Yup, this was it. I added more fat (still used 2 tbsp for browning everything, added 4 tbsp along with the 4 cups of vegetable broth and 1 cup of water) and added 1tbsp soy sauce, and it’s drastically improved. Still tweaking it, will report back if I ever get it perfect

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On the subject of Indian food and veganizing recipes that use ghee etc, I love this dum aloo recipe but it uses ghee and also calls for soaking cashews in milk and then making that into a purée.

It says you can use water instead of milk — is that the best play, or is there something better to use? Also, since I’ve had a devil of a time finding cashews that isn’t a huge bag, is there something good to substitute in place of the cashew purée?

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve had great results with Cookie and Kate’s hummus recipe

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Instant Pot Brown Rice

Instant Pot Barley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

for fucks sake posted:

Any kind of low- or no-fat vegetable soup would fit your requirements.

The three macronutrients that provide energy are fat, carbs and protein. Fat has by far the highest caloric density so it makes sense to focus on carbs and protein while keeping fat levels low if your goal is to reduce caloric intake.

Everything about this is true and it’s the best way to start, but it’s worth noting that some people (and I’m one of them) have satiety issues with carbs — counterintuitively, I eat fewer calories overall if I’m leaning more heavily into fats than carbs.

If you’re prepping meals with macro dials tuned away from fat but you’re still always wanting to eat, don’t be afraid to try adding it back in and seeing if you can find a balance point.