Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Made some Hummus! Pretty good, it actually tastes a bit like chickpeas (how I like it). I burned my garlic though since I read a recipe that said to roast cloves at 375 for an hour and I said "sure why not". Got singed after like 10m so I pulled them. Also I used peanut butter because I never use enough tahini to justify buying it. I used my immersion blender. I did an initial blending of just the chickpeas and some lemon juice. After I added in the nut butter, oil, and a bit of chickpea water it blended really easily in my immersion blender cup.

I also attempted to use the chickpea cooking water for aquafaba stuff, but it failed. Anyone try making the meringues with homemade chickpea liquid? I avoided adding any oils, so it was just chickpea and water. I did a quick soak since I forgot to soak them last night.

Does the aquafaba + sugar/tartar mixture need an excessive amount of beating? I got nowhere with a whisk and then I tried my cleaned immersion blender (also nowhere).

Should I add some of the chickpea 'sediment' at the bottom of what I saved? I didn't keep the large bits with the chickpea water but there's a decent amount of other stuff that settles at the bottom. I've still got a lot of it left so I can try again if the sediment would help the whipping process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well the traditional easter food (at least in the midwest) is ham.

Are you looking to stick with the traditional holiday feast format? If so I'd recommend looking for a baked seitan recipe of some sort. Seitan is good on its own merits in my opinion. It's got a nice texture, and is easily seasoned to your liking. Plus it makes good sandwiches, so you can send your sister home with whatever's left!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

schadenfraud posted:

Ham? Really? It's lamb here (UK) - ham if for like Christmas Eve or Boxing Day (26th).

Thanks for the advice, though re Seitan. I've found a baked tofu recipe too that I'm going to try out myself this evening too (not going to serve it unless I know it's nice) - wish me luck!

Good luck! Make sure you drain it really well if it's firm tofu and meant to get crispy/chewy. You really need to weigh it down a lot to get the water out so the outside texture turns out well.

I use a tofu press that's 2 boards that press down with 2 screws. So you really need to weigh it down pretty heavily. Too much can break the tofu so just use your best judgment. It can reform quite a bit before breaking.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Made some chickpea curry and bulgur today. I got it in under an hour, thanks to my trusty old Presto pressure cooker. The chickpeas had bad QA. Lots of messed up ones. Then after soaking there were a bunch with dark spots on them, which I've never seen before.

I put a little tamarind in it, about as much as I could squeeze out of 3 pods. Maybe not enough.

I used fine Bulgur since you can cook it just like couscous.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tactical Shitpost posted:

"Taco" cups:
- webm: ---
- text: http://www.wearesovegan.com/taco-cups/

Didn't really care much about the vegan side, just wanted to test out a sufficiently easy "party" food before doing a thing next week.

While making them i noticed i actually ran out of some spices, so instead of what's on the recipe I've used caraway, basil, chilli, turmeric and ginger (all already powdered, 1/2 tbsp each) plus 1/4 tbsp salt. Even though I've used pre-made tortillas and ditched the sour cream they turned out pretty great - super easy to make, very filling and with fantastic taste. Just don't move them too much because the tortillas have a tendency to break up.

You might have better luck if you heat up the tortillas a bit first (microwave shortly so they're warm). They're more pliable then. And I'd bet they'd be even better if you got some oil in the muffin pan/on the tortillas.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone tried to make Tempeh before? I want to give it a go again (first time I tried it with an alternate bean source which was probably a mistake for a first attempt).

I need a good source for the starter and a simple/cheap incubation chamber.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

No, but I'm very interested in it, so if you end up figuring it out, please document your results! I think it looked like it wouldn't be much cheaper if I made my own, so the only benefit would be taste and fun and so on, but if yours ends up cheap too, that would be great to know.

Is that mostly the starter? I'd think the soybeans would be dirt cheap.

You can turn the fermentation into giving you some more starter, but you have to let it run long so the mould gets to its fruiting stage. Not sure of the exact details though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I've been thinking about making some vegan sushi (or kimbap). Any good filling ideas? I'd like to try to make a few different varieties. Cucumber and Avocado obviously. I was also thinking about fried tofu or some kind of chickpea preparation. I figure hummus could replace the rich/creamy element that's missing. What other vegetables would be good?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How about refried beans? You can make them fairly thin consistency and mash them well. Polenta may me soft enough to be no-chew as well (potentially needs longer cooking and/or more liquid), and that would give you the complete protein along with beans.

Smoothies are also an obvious option. I like to use frozen banana as a base (slice into ~1 cm thickness, then freeze). Use some kind of plant milk and/or tofu for the liquid and another frozen fruit as an accent. For one banana, I use about 1 cup of liquid (milk/tofu), and non-banana fruit to taste (blueberry is good).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

crazyvanman posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've always appreciated the mushiness of many Indian dishes, and never moreso than now! Might have to get some brown rice in the house again so I can make dino's delicious pongal recipe.

Refried beans is definitely a great shout too, I'll give that a go! What is a good go-to recipe? I've made them before but they're not such a big thing here (UK).

I usually make mine with vegetable shortening; most recipes will call for lard but it's totally ok to substitute the fat. For the process and proportions, the recipe from foodwishes is about what I do (except I don't add onion/chiles) https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/02/refried-beans-cooked-well-not-twice.html again just ignore whatever he says about lard or whatever. I use a little less fat, but that's up to you.

The keys are to use the bean cooking liquid to adjust the consistency, and to add enough salt in the end to make it taste good. As he says, insufficiently salted refried beans don't taste good at all. I'd aim on the more liquid side, they'll thicken as they cool.

Pinto beans are the typical variety used. Black beans are also occasionally used. Mayacoba a.k.a. Peruano beans are also used for refried beans often but may be hard to find in the UK.

Edit: Pinto beans will have the distinct pinto bean flavor. Quite meaty and maybe a little smoky. Black beans will have the distinct flavor from the black pigment, the slightly bitter, earthy, and savory flavor. Peruanos in my experience have a little less flavor than pintos but are slightly sweet and creamy.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 7, 2019

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Tastes like MSG. Asian stores will have it, usually.

It has a light hint of the ocean too. Not super strong, and as long as you don't use more than you need you won't notice that.

Cooks Illustrated seems to think Kombu also improves texture of dried beans as well. They say it makes them more tender when you soak beans with it/cook them with it. I haven't tested it either way so I have no idea how accurate that is.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Crakkerjakk posted:

I mean, it's just shredded and dehydrated soybeans.

They take the fat out too. It's more like corn puffs or something (note: don't eat them raw). Take the soybeans, grind them, extract the oil (for soybean oil), then form them into bits.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

big dyke energy posted:

Vegan thread, I am in need of more beans recipes. I am trying to cut back on my food budget, and all I want to eat is beans and rice anyways, so I'm going back to vegan cooking. Right now the only beans I really make are a kinda mexican/southwest black beans with tomatoes and stuff, and non-refried pinto beans. Mostly I eat them in burritos or burrito bowl type things. I've also made stuff like tang yuan in red bean soup and adzuki paste, but those are more dessert things.

Unfortunately my girlfriend has IBS and something about lentils/chickpeas triggers it so those are out for us. I'm just looking for some variety. I'm also gonna be going through the thread again to pick out some recipes.

How about rajma? It's Indian red beans cooked with curry-like spices (and tomato of course). dino's got a recipe here: http://goonswithspoons.com/Raajma

I really like making refried beans, I just use shortening. Probably unhealthy, but whatever. Maybe a 1/4 cup (or maybe a bit less) for 1 pound of dried beans? The trick is to salt them enough. Good in burritos, good in tacos, even good just with some rice.

Common bean (black, pinto, navy, etc. etc.) are good in soups. I'm usually pretty lazy and use some better than bouillon vegetable stock (maybe like half or 3/4 the recommended amount), plus some bean broth, then an assortment of veggies. Start with frying up some onion & garlic, then fry up some carrots. Then add bean broth, veggie stock, and some tomato paste. Simmer with cooked beans until the carrots are about half done, then add something like broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, whatever you want and finish the cooking. Optionally throw in some noodles. The trick is getting the timing of the additions right so it's all done right at the end.

You can do a lot of variations with bean salads too, if you'd want a cold dish.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I need to make these. The grocer I go to these days is run by Greeks, so they've got the real deal huge dried gigantes, plus good olive oil.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hmm. Interesting. I guess I was wrong on this one, I had no idea! I think the ones I randomly googled as "dark" weren't enough cacao percentage and still had milk fats in them.

Good to know and good to keep an eye out for.

Yeah some of the more mass-market chocolates (for example the hershey's special dark) have milk fat. But something like Lindt or Green and Blacks has a higher chance of being just cocoa and sugar (and emulsifiers sometimes).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Tahini and miso is pretty good too. You get a nice creaminess from the tahini and a sweet fermentiness/savoriness from the miso. With vinegar it makes a good salad dressing for brassica (like a broccoli slaw or coleslaw).

I usually do it by feel, so toss some miso into a prep bowl, add vinegar/liquids to get a loose consistency, then add enough tahini to get the creaminess you want. It might thicken up a bit when you add the tahini.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Chelb posted:

My question: are there any vegan-friendly Japanese soups/stews/broths I can make with ingredients available from Amazon and/or American supermarkets? We have a yellow miso (or at least I think so, its branded as a "mild miso" and has a dull yellow-brown color) just sitting unused in the fridge. We also got some dried wakame seaweed, non-alcoholic mirin and ponzu. Anything else to make with these ingredients are also welcome ofc.

The obvious one for Japanese cuisine is dashi, it's a foundational broth for Japanese cuisine. This recipe has been good for me: https://www.messyvegancook.com/japanese-vegan-dashi-recipe/. You want the Kombu/shiitake recipe. The kombu/shiitake are synergistic; supposedly the umami aspect of both of them are greater than they are separate. They're both dried as well so it should be easy enough to get those through the internet if necessary. With that you can make miso soup (most miso soup you'll get won't be vegan). Add about a tablespoon of miso paste per cup of dashi (to taste), then add rehydrated wakame (note, that's different from kombu), tofu cubes, and scallions. Mix a bit of dashi into the miso paste first so it incorporates better.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Does anyone have a good vegan/vegetarian Kimchi recipe? I found an ok one on Minimalist baker, but I didn't know if there was other options I hadnt seen in the thread. I do like fishy flavors but have a shellfish allergy so it can be fraught for me.

The last time I made it I used Kenji's recipe https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/homemade-vegan-kimchi-recipe.html I think the miso worked fairly well, it gives a nice rounded savoriness.

Kenji's recipe diverges from traditional kimchi (as in the way it's most often prepared) in a few ways. One is the use of miso instead of fish sauce/shrimp paste for the umami flavor. Another is he did not use a rice flour paste in the gochugaru mixture. He also made the kimchi more like sauerkraut in that the napa cabbage is not rinsed after salting. That being said, when I've used that general outline (napa cabbage, miso, garlic, ginger, gochugaru, and chives prepared more like sauerkraut) I've like the results. But I can't compare it to traditional methods since I've never made it that way before.

If you do try out this recipe, I'll also note some things which need adjustment:

- Kenji calls for "1 large head napa cabbage ... about 1 pound total". I don't know what kind of napa cabbages that guy has been buying, but in no way is a large cabbage only 1 pound. Maybe 2-3 pounds. The about 1 cup water was just about right for a large head I think. The garlic may be a little too much, can't remember how much I used. Add the miso to taste, you may want a little more/less depending on your miso.
- For salt, it may just be better to weigh it out based on your cabbage weight. The general recommendation for kraut is 1.5-2% by weight of veggies. So add 2% the weight of your cabbage + radish, if using. When using brines it's 5% so last time I adjusted the salt content of the gochugaru paste (gochugaru, garlic, ginger, water, and miso) to be 5%. If you weigh it out there's no way for it to be too salty.
- The times I made it I just microplaned the garlic and ginger and didn't bother blending. Seemed to work fine, so if you don't have a blender or don't want to use one just do that.
- You can let it go for longer than a day on the counter. It's personal preference really. Kimchi is different from saurkraut in that kraut is fermented much longer at room temp.

Googling around, Hyosun from koreanbapsang.com (generally regarded to be a good source for Korean food) mentioned the use of kelp broth which sounded interesting. That may add in a little sea taste but I've never tried it before. Her recipe uses the traditional steps (rinsing the wilted cabbage and using rice flour paste) like I mentioned before, but I've never made her recipe so I can't say if it's good or not. https://www.koreanbapsang.com/vegan-kimchi/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

This looks really good and I want to make it. When you talk about the size discrepancy with Kenji's tiny cabbages, did you end up going with using "1 large head napa cabbage" or "about 1 pound total?"

I just used one large cabbage.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah sunflower seeds can be nice (although I haven't tried them in a creamy sauce recipe before). One nice thing is that they take to pan-roasting very well and develop a strong meaty/nutty taste. Goes well in like a broccoli salad or something like that where it can add some savory character.

I've been snacking on them a lot recently too. I get a russian brand (babkiny or "grandmother") which I like a lot more than the usual kind I find in the US. I think they may be some oil-type sunflower seed, or at least a hybrid, since some are noticeably oily, all-black seed coat, and thin-shelled. They're way easier to crack and eat than the big striped kind. The sunflower also takes up proportionally more of the seed as well so they're more dense. I kind of feel like a bird eating them sometimes though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I think that’s usually called Burmese tofu if you wanted to look up more (the guy in the video could have called it that but I watched without sound). I’ve never had it so I can’t say what it tastes like.

Not really tofu at all since it’s not coagulated, but that’s what it’s called for some reason.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

crazyvanman posted:

In the interest of eating locally where possible, I'd be really interested in what is required of a bean/pea to be made into tofu. What aspect of its beanicity is it that makes it suitable?
It's now possible to get UK-grown soya beans and their derivatives but if I could make tofu out of beans I can grow more easily I would be :allears:

I looked this up briefly. It appears that the process is not totally understood at this point. I found one 2017 article (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2016.07.022 but I get a paywall) where the abstract says "Sugars, alcohols, or salts, when added to food, affects the heat denaturation of proteins and the sol-gel transition of macromolecules. Such an effect of cosolvents has long been known and exploited; yet understanding how they work at a molecular level has been a matter of scientific debate for decades, because of the lack of a definitive theory which can provide a microscopic explanation."

An article (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323676422_Tofu_technological_and_nutritional_potential) in an Indian food industry magazine briefly reviews a few theories of tofu formation. My reading is that it's an interaction between the coagulant, the protein and lipid content in soy, and some other structural components in soy that allows coagulation and formation of tofu. So it's probably a combination of the specific proteins in soy being easy to make into tofu and the fat content being just right for formation of a good end-product. Soy has a few different proteins that coagulate at different rates so maybe other beans don't have similar properties.

Apparently peanuts can be somehow coagulated like tofu, which seems to indicate that the fat content is fairly important. Soybeans actually contain a decent amount of fat along with protein, they have about a 2:1 protein:fat ratio. Chickpeas have a little less fat at about a 3:1 ratio and common beans (pinto, black beans, navy beans, etc) have an even lower content more like 20:1.

IMO you should look into tempeh. It's not really like tofu, but it's a processed bean product that you can fry up and it's pretty delicious. Traditionally made with soy, but other beans work well as far as I know. For tempeh you're fermenting beans with a specific mold that binds the beans together forming a cohesive brick. Then you can cook/fry/whatever. So you could use common beans or other beans that you can grow in the UK without much issue. The only difficulty is you have to ferment it fairly warm.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm going to go ahead and try to make some tempeh. Any opinion on places to get the starter? 2 sources from the US I've been able to find so far are

https://thetempehlab.com/the-tempeh-lab-summertown-tn/tempeh-lab-starters/

and

https://shop.culturesforhealth.com/products/tempeh-starter

I thought you used to be able to get tempeh starter from GEM cultures (another well-known source for this kind of thing) but apparently they've discontinued that product.

I'll probably just culture it in my oven with the light on and door cracked. I tested the temperature out in there a while back and I think it was in the 90s, so maybe a slightly more open door and I can get a good temperature going.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

What’s up vegan thread. Does anyone have a good vegan saag paneer recipe? I’ve been making kenji’s but I think it’s sort of bland.

Content: I do like kenji’s chana masala recipe tho. Here is a double batch before cooking down and freezing individual meals. This weekend I will be making a 4x batch and freezing a months worth of lunches.

Did you manage to snap that picture at the exact time the clock changed from 2:21 to 2:22?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Finally got a good batch of tempeh made. I got some starter from one of the US growers and tried a few times to make black bean tempeh. The internet claimed that for black bean tempeh you don't need to hull the beans and the mycelium will grow just fine. First I tried it in my oven without a good thermometer. Got some growth early but never really took off. Next I bought a good thermometer (one of the thermoworks probe thermometers) and put that in one of the bean piles. Again some early growth, but never really took off. I had real trouble regulating the temperature with my oven light, I had figured I could crack the door open just the right amount to balance it out but that just was impossible to maintain reasonably. Third try I bought a cooler and made it into a fermentation chamber with an inkbird controller and a seed heating mat. Again early growth but it failed to take off despite good temperatures, being pretty weak even after 48 hours.

I decided to just go traditional and got some raprima tempeh starter (ragi tempeh) since I think it's the most popular one in Indonesia. Bough some soy beans and got a corona mill to hull the beans, which actually worked pretty well. Got probably a 75% or more crack rate on the beans and most of them were not crushed. With them cracked it was very easy to skim off most of the hulls using my big metal bowl and just swishing them around, the hulls kind of float above the beans.

I put this batch in the fermenter and there was pretty much no growth at all at 12 hours, which I was very discouraged by. But by the time I got back from work (another 12 hours) it had pretty much finished and was in the process of heating itself to death, it got to like 104 F (40C) internal temps. I pulled it out of the chamber but it just kept heating up despite my efforts, so I stopped it a bit early.

Tasted very good fried up and dressed with a bit of soy sauce and shaoxing wine. My wife thought it tasted good but she couldn't keep from thinking of how it was made which was mildly weird to her. Maybe jokingly calling them moldy beans was a bad idea.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That rocks, did you just get the ragi tempeh starter from amazon?

There’s a bunch of re-sellers on etsy/eBay/wherever. Maybe Amazon too, I didn’t check there. The raprima brand is sold in 500g bags only, and the dosage is 2g per kg (tbh I’m not sure if that’s dry or cooked). That’s kind of a lot, so there’s a bunch of small-time resellers splitting up the bags and selling like 50g packets or whatever. Buyer beware on marketplace stuff like that of course.

There are a lot of other US-based manufacturers too. The previous starter I tried may have worked pretty well on the soybeans, but I ran out of it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Lady Disdain posted:

A question:
Does anyone have a satisfying alternative to cheese ?
I've been craving calzone, but all the recipes I can find for vegan calzone call for vegan "cheese," so I'm looking for something else. I'm not concerned with the melty texture or anything, just something to contrast the flavour of the tomato sauce. My only thoughts are some sort of tofu concoction, or a cashew cream.

One way to approach it could be some kind of olive salad kind of thing, like muffuletta or giardiniera or whatever. Misses the texture completely, but it gives a rich and savory flavor and might pick up some of those flavors you’re missing from cheese.

I haven’t fully thought this out, but maybe you could stuff one with a bit of hummus? Like veggies, hummus, and a bit of tomato sauce. I wouldn’t really call it a calzone at that point but it could be interesting. Or maybe not.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Behold some pretty neat cookbooks that you may be interested in:

Vegan Africa
Nistisima
The Vegan Chinese Kitchen
Vegan China
Vegetarian Chinese Soul Food

I actually got vegan Chinese kitchen from the library a while back when I saw it on the new books rack. It looked pretty good but I usually stir fry outside and it wasn’t warm enough so I didn’t make any of the recipes.

It had some interesting flavor/story text about her experiences learning vegan cooking in China which I enjoyed reading. Most of the recipes looked good too. They were different enough but still vanilla if that make sense. No weird veggie/flavor combos just because but definitely some things I hadn’t thought to try.

If I recall correctly it had a decent amount of greens recipes, which is good

She also had a lot of recipes for tofu skin (yuba) which I really want to try. I feel like having something with a nice chewy texture could go well with how I usually stir fry.

I’ll have to scoop that up from the library next time I go.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Question of my own:

Are there any brands of store-bought soy milk that could do a decent soy yogurt? I can get the silk yogurt for a starter, but it’s expensive so I’d like to try to make some.

I’m sure it won’t get too thick, but even if it ends up like kefir in consistency that would be perfectly fine for me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

First shot on soy yogurt: not too bad. I liked the idea of putting in silken tofu to get it a thicker texture, so I did about 1/4 silken tofu 3/4 aldi soy milk (basically like silk original). Put in around 5% of some silk soy yogurt I got from the store as a starter. I think I pitched the yogurt slightly too late, the soy mix was about 105 deg F when I put it in. Took a while for it to eventually get back to around 110 F. Fermented for about 7 hours, it's got a little acid but I'd like more. Next time I'll make sure to get it started at a higher temperature and let it go for 8 or 9 hours. The aldi soy milk has sugar added, it tasted like that's mostly fermented out.

Texture is smoothie-like, definitely not particularly thick. That's fine with me, I mostly just want something to eat along with fruit/preserves for a breakfast/snack.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

On a more traditional note, I've been pan-frying tofu lately and let me tell you: that poo poo's great.

Made some tofu and black bean sauce, mostly based on this: https://thewoksoflife.com/tofu-black-bean-sauce/

They call for waaaay too much cornstarch imo though. Like 1 tsp less than a 1/4 cup liquid! I added more water to mine, you may want to do stock or more water + some msg or something. I used the sichuan style black beans. Kind of cheesy almost? Quite like it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

drat that mango looks like a yukon gold

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

dino. posted:

Honestly few things are satisfying as a sandwich made up of a boat ton of veggies. Lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, pickles, olives, onion, all on a crusty deli roll or something. If you’re into that sort of thing, roasted red pepper, roasted eggplant slices, roasted zucchini, sautéed mushrooms. All of it. Throw on some mashed avocado if you have it.

Yeah pretty much that's how my veggie sandwiches end up and tbh it's better than meat+cheese sandwiches. I usually tend to go with wraps though.

IMO the trick with making tasty sandwiches is getting enough salty stuff in there. So hummus that's well seasoned, some kind of dressing, olives, pickles, sauerkraut, or a litany of other things. Coleslaw can work good too.

That and making sure there's some textural elements going on. Good to have something crunchy, something soft, and something chewy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I made a tempeh slider for lunch. Two slices of fried tempeh (with some soy sauce), half a roll, both steamed over some shallots. Topped with hummus.

Tasted pretty good, but I think it really needs a soft style roll. The hummus was ok, but I think I need better toppings. Any suggestions? Thinking something sour, plus more onions. I wanted the hummus to give a nice richness like cheese does, but it didn't quite work.

First batch of tempeh in over a year, but it went great! Just need to streamline cooking/draining/cooling, plus get a bit better at packaging.

It smelled amazing when I pulled it out of the fermenter.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The meat substitute stuff can work, especially the impossible brand is very close. That said, if you’re on chatting terms with the co-workers in question maybe send them a message asking if they like that. Could be they don’t for whatever reason.

Whenever I make tacos I tend to just go with refried beans or veggies (think like fajita veggies). You’d have to make them vegan by using shortening rather than the traditional ingredients.

For veggies something roasted or fried and spiced would work well. You don’t have to have a protein in tacos, I’m personally fine with just some nice veggies.

The problem with those two suggestions is both those could work in a meat taco too, so if you’re just going to bring a bit of whatever for the vegetarians/vegans just make sure you got a plan so they can get at it. Don’t want them to be last in line with nothing to put on a taco.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I like using those dark red kidney beans from the Indian grocery. They keep their nice dark color during cooking and end up looking like the canned ones.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

cat posts.txt posted:

I recently had to switch to vegan eating because I got an alpha-gal allergy which evolved into a poultry allergy too and I was wondering what everyone's go to quick lunches were. Right now mine's pasta + frozen veggies + noosh but I'm sure I could inject more flavor in there

Also for thanksgiving I'm going to a big one and cooking something so my decision was like 20 sweet potatoes . So everyone can have a sweet potato

For quick meals, I just eat a bunch of veggies and hummus (or whatever dip you like). Wash and cut your pick of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, carrots, tomato, peppers, celery, snap peas, radish, olives, whatever you like). Dip them into some nice hummus. Have it with some bread on the side and a piece of fruit.

IMO vegan sandwiches are extremely good. I like hummus (of course), some kind of salty dressing, olive salad, lettuce/sauerkraut/coleslaw, and some kind of protein. So like fried tofu, roasted tofu, tempeh, seitan, or mushrooms or anything else really. The key is to get enough salty things in there, the hummus makes it nice and moist and works well with veggies.

The soup suggestion is good too, there's really limitless possibilities. I usually use the better than bouillon vegetarian varieties for the stock since I'm lazy. They have veggie stock, fake chicken stock, and a bunch of others I've never tried. Then you can add some nice veggies, some beans, and add in some already-cooked pasta after serving to keep it from getting mushy. You can add potatoes too for an alternate starch. Then just pair it with some bread or fried tofu or a salad, or whatever else. Make a big pot and eat it for a while.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I just like dreaming up ideas so you’re getting these anyway sorry.

Twice baked potatoes stuffed with leeks and whatever else you want.

Mushroom, leek, and coconut milk. Idk could go like Thai curry spices with it or get it a bit sour and do like a stroganoff kinda deal with noodles.

I wonder how miso soup would be with leeks?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How different is the lime pickle from mango pickle? I’ve got some mango pickle and I love the stuff. Bracingly salty and sour, but with a spicy and floral taste to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

IME commercial soy milk or almond milk doesn’t work as well for pancakes compared to cow milk, not sure what it is. They have different physical properties (different protein content, sugar content, and any texture modifiers in the plant milk). So just a drop in replacement may not work, you may want to look for a vegan recipe to start with.