Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a forbidden love
Apr 28, 2005

"It was never meant to beep boop be"
Thanks for making this thread! I can't wait to see what y'all post.

I recently stopped eating meat, eggs, and dairy; I plan on executing this diet change for at least a year (2 months down 10 to go). I still eat honey on my banana pancakes so I guess in the strictest sense of the word I'm not "vegan", but the rest of my diet is completely vegan. I'm lazy when it comes to cooking but I'm lucky enough to be stationed in San Diego where vegan and vegan friendly vegetarian restaurants are plentiful. That being said I still like lot's of variety and sometimes Native Cafe, as delicious as it is, gets a bit repetitive. So, if it's cool with the OP could we also post hidden gems that serve vegan food and we've been to?

My go to recipe recently has been lentil chili. You can swap the beans for any hardy bean and the lentil for any variety as well. The best thing about the recipe is that it doesn't need to be perfect or precise.

2 cups (or whatever) of dry lentils
2 cups " " dry beans of your choice. I stick with red or pinto.
2 large diced red potatoes or a couple of the little red, purple, and blue ones (also diced).
2 chopped carrots
3 diced roma tomatoes
1 chopped onion
some wine
some oil, I use avocado oil because it has a high smoke point.
some cloves of chopped/crushed/minced garlic
some tomato paste
some tomato sauce
about 2 cups water

Sort and soak beans and lentils for about 2 hours the longer the better, drain and then:

This next part may happen fast so be ready

Put about a tbsp of oil in a saute pan and sweat the onions on med-to-hi heat.
Add garlic.
When the onions begin to caramelize add about 2 second of wine, stir and make sure you scrape the bottom of the pan until nothing is stuck to the bottom.

Throw in the rest of the ingredients, just make sure you add the water slowly making sure to cover the food with about .5 to 1 inch of water. Combine and mix well. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce heat to simmer until the beans and lentils are soft. For me it's usually about 40 minutes.

The beans are the hardest thing to get right, though it's been my experience that the longer the soak the better they'll cook. You could also used canned beans instead.

Serve with sliced avocados and tortilla chips/pita chips/vegan garlic naan bread.

I also use daiya "cheeze" on the chili and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU