Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Bonfire Lit posted:

I've played this game (a bit), but I'm pretty sure I've never managed to finish one of these retro areas. But then again, I'm fairly bad at anything that auto-scrolls.

Is the "perfect" mark on a level dependent on score (i.e., do you have to kick down all of these purple barriers), or is it just collecting all of the gold pieces (and maybe the score multipliers)?

Perfect runs are just dependent on getting all gold pieces and the cores. Score has nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I think the 2nd world is the only world in which its impossible to get a Perfect without getting a perfect score. There's a couple of breakable objects you can miss in the 1st world, and you can duck under the beats in the 3rd one.

Also, good luck with 3-2's challenge level. That's the only challenge stage that I could never get a Perfect on. There's way too many pixel perfect jumps in that one. :argh: At least the actual level is one of the shortest stages in the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Is there an achievement for carefully dodging every gold that isn't inescapably jammed in your way?

No, because there's an easy mode in the game. All it does is get rid of the gold. None of the levels change whatsoever.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The scoring system is something that's been in all the other BIT.TRIP games. But all the BIT.TRIP games are pretty much different games. BEAT and FLUX are basically pong, but more elaborate. FATE is a SHMUP. CORE is the only game that actually plays like a rhythm game. I dunno what to classify VOID as. Those games have arcade style gameplay, so the scoring system makes sense there. It's pretty pointless in RUNNER since it's far easier to get a perfect in there than in any other BIT.TRIP games. For reference, a world in RUNNER would equate to one stage in a different BIT.TRIP game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

gently caress 3-2's retro stage. If you still think that looked easy, let me tell you that those jumps and hovers have to be nearly pixel perfect. If you're off by a little bit... Well you can see in the video. And it's not just one jump. That stage has several ways to trip you up. None of the other retro stages come close to being as insane as that one. Yeah, Runner's not too good at the whole difficulty curve thing.

Yeah the retro challenges were handled terribly. The fact that you can only get another shot at them by completing perfecting the stage again was a terrible decision. Runner 2 handled those a lot better. Retro stages have to be found in a level, and there's only 5 of them. And despite the fact that you have "lives", you can actually try again as much as you want, without having to waste time by playing through a stage. Though Runner 2 has a minigame (shoot a cannon at a target.) that you can only play by perfecting a stage, but the minigame is simple and Runner 2 actually has checkpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And More posted:

I wish it gave you the option to practice isolated sections of the level. That's what I'd do with a difficult song, too. Playing all the stuff you already know by heart over and over is a bit pointless.

But but my old school difficulty! :qq: Yeah, that's a big problem I have with BIT.TRIP RUNNER and Odyssey was pretty much a stopping point for a lot of players due to how long it is and there's no checkpoints for it. Runner 2 has checkpoints, but it lets you jump over them for a score bonus at a risk of having to start the level over if you make a mistake from that point. Which I think is much better than how RUNNER handled things.

• Locked thread