Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Alhazred posted:

And it did itself no favor by having the opening narration start with "movies are full of poo poo."

The idea behind that line isn't really much different than the whole "Forget what you know here's what does and doesn't work" speech in the first one, except targeted directly at Dracula instead of vampires in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I guess my biggest problem with Blade 3 is that I'm a huge Dracula fan. I try to see every adaptation I can get my hands on and my standards aren't even that high, I'm just a sucker(no pun intended, I swear) for Dracula.

So to see the character played by Dominic Purcell was just painful. When you've saved The Vampire of all vampires for the third film in a series, you better make sure he doesn't end up as the least memorable villain of them all. Both Frost and Nomak are more effective villains than loving Dracula. Even mediocre films like Dracula 2000(Gerard Butler) have performances that blow Purcell out of the water.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The script wasn't too helpful either.

THESE PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING OF HONOR OR LIVING BY THE SWORD!! *dangles a recently kidnapped infant off the side of a buiding* NOT LIKE YOU AND ME BLADE! *runs away like a punk because they need to fill 45 more minutes*

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basically, Blade Trinity could've been a decent movie if it hadn't been for the script, directing or acting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Basically, Blade Trinity could've been a decent movie if it hadn't been for the script, directing or acting.

You forgot casting. I don't blame Purcell, I blame whoever thought it was a good idea to cast him. I really would like to hear what that thought process was.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alhazred posted:

There was a lot of demand for it too. There would be articles in magazines constantly like "where is Blade III? What is going on with Blade III?" From like a year after Blade II came out until Trinity was released. All the concepts they were talking about sounded way cooler than what we got though. At one point it was going to be in a Terminator-esque future war setting where vampires rule the night and humans can move about a bit in the day time like The Omega Man. One was going to have Blade be waaay older in it and have it straight up be in the future, etc.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The fight choreography was weird. There's a bit later on where I swear Blade lightly slaps one of the armoured guards to death.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Alhazred posted:

Its fun to watch Ryan Reynolds trying to piss of Snipes but on the whole its a really bland movie. And it did itself no favor by having the opening narration start with "movies are full of poo poo."

I thought Ryan Reynolds was pretty good in Blade 3, especially when he was mouthing off at triple h, and it does make me pumped for the Deadpool movie...

(But it has been a LONG time since I saw it)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

A Blade film could be super interesting in the modern context of police brutality, distrust of government, hyper-connectivity and media saturation, etc. but given that Marvel is very much set in their ways as far as how movies are structured and the tone there's not much hope for something that really stands out.

You realize Marvel was also behind the Kick-rear end movies right? There's room for htem to do some wild poo poo that isn't directly tied into the MCU, especially since Blade operates on a whole other plane from the Avengers (much like how Daredevil and the Street Level Shows are set in the same universe but barely reference it)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

You realize Marvel was also behind the Kick-rear end movies right? There's room for htem to do some wild poo poo that isn't directly tied into the MCU, especially since Blade operates on a whole other plane from the Avengers (much like how Daredevil and the Street Level Shows are set in the same universe but barely reference it)

They were not, the original comic was published under Marvel's creator-owned imprint, and few years later Mark Millar took it elsewhere.

Although Millar did a comic with Blade joining Avengers - it involved a vampire young Daredevil (modelled after Kick-rear end), Blade chasing Twilight kids in his dream, vampires getting roasted with a sick teleport to Sahara and this scene:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress, Steve Dillon is the wooooooorst

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That whole bottom panel is totally designed to make you associate that lamp as a breast with (is that Captain America?) Captain America suckling on Hulk.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

A Blade film could be super interesting in the modern context of police brutality, distrust of government, hyper-connectivity and media saturation, etc.

Leaked footage from this movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMBjAhJjChY

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

fatherboxx posted:

They were not, the original comic was published under Marvel's creator-owned imprint, and few years later Mark Millar took it elsewhere.

Thanks for the education on things I was already more than aware of, guy.

I was referring to the production company, which for some reason I thought was another division of Marvel Studios. I'm well aware of the history of the comic that chronicles Mark Millar dealing with the fact that he is Mark Millar, the man writing Mark Millar comics, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hakkesshu posted:

Get loving wrecked.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Not to roll this page back but...

This is always what makes the movie interesting to me compared to the modern era of comic book movies: Blade isn't really a hero. He's a monster killing other monsters, it just happens that vampires are monsters who feed on humans, so we perceive him as a good guy. He has a handful of connections to the human world (Whistler, Karen Jensen, various side characters we see snippets of) but that's about as far as his sympathy or concern for people extends. Every current Marvel hero (and like half the villains) are portrayed as inherently good people in extraordinary circumstances. Blade is just a dude waging his own war in a way that's just slightly more moral than the monsters he's fighting against and anything that gets in the way of that is collateral damage.

It's a shame that Marvel seemingly has no interest in folding the Blade franchise into the current Marvel universe, although given their adherence to certain themes and aesthetics maybe it's for the best.

Your description of Blade could also be used for Frank Castle in the fantastic 2004 Punisher film (that they never made a sequel for, nope). Dark, brooding, and very different from what most people were expecting out of a comic book thanks to the bright, noble-good, and kinda goofy Spiderman. Blade was different in the 90's but still supernatural. Punisher took people who'd just seen Spiderman and drowned them in the sucky life of a normal guy with no superpowers 2 years before Batman Begins was released.

But it'd be a bad idea to try them in the MCU proper. Although the Punisher (played by SHAAAAANE!!! from Walking Dead) is going to be in season 2 of Daredevil so maybe a rebooted Blade can exist in some gaiden plot.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
War Zone is another reboot, so you're right, they didn't make a sequel. War Zone owns tho.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

mediocre films like Dracula 2000

This is by no means intended to be a defense of Blade Trinity, but calling Dracula 2000 simply mediocre does a disservice to honest mediocre films like Blade.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zombies' Downfall posted:

mediocre films like Blade.

Reported for heresy

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fat Lou posted:

Part 2: Blood Rave 0:02:05-0:11:00

You missed the part where a random female vampire attacks him and he takes a moment to hit her in the crotch with his shotgun before shooting her. Just because.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

jabby posted:

You missed the part where a random female vampire attacks him and he takes a moment to hit her in the crotch with his shotgun before shooting her. Just because.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

"HEY! I'm gonna rip yer fuckin' head off!"

LORD OF BUTT posted:

War Zone is another reboot, so you're right, they didn't make a sequel. War Zone owns tho.

Well it did give rise to this video at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCbgjrb75fg

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Now critically analyse it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

jabby posted:

A man raises his phallic object to a woman's head, it discharges and she blows up. The dangers of blow jobs.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

jabby posted:

Racquel is clearly the primary sexual force in the opening of the movie and hypersexuality is one of the primary characterizations that make up Frost's subsection of the vampire nation. What Blade is doing is neutering her with his first hit and killing her with the gunshot. Critically speaking he is attacking the sexuality of the vampires, with his phallic gun, in order to weaken and kill them proving that his raw sexuality is superior and not to be trifled with. It is not unlike many blacksploitation movies, in line with Shaft, where the main character is thought of being completely unmatched in terms of his sexual and physical strength.

Is that good enough for just waking up?

Sorry for the slow updates my week has been interesting. Hopefully part three will be up tonight.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 12, 2015

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Fat Lou posted:

Racquel is clearly the primary sexual force in the opening of the movie and hypersexuality is one of the primary characterizations that make up Frost's subsection of the vampire nation. What Blade is doing is neutering her with his first hit and killing her with the gunshot. Critically speaking he is attacking the sexuality of the vampires, with his phallic gun, in order to weaken and kill them proving that his raw sexuality is superior and not to be trifled with. It is not unlike many blacksploitation movies, in line with Shaft, where the main character is thought of being completely unmatched in terms of his sexually and physically strength.

Is that good enough for just waking up?

Sorry for the slow updates my week has been interesting. Hopefully part three will be up tonight.

:golfclap:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
This thread made me go back and rewatch Blade for the first time in years, and I was honestly surprised at how well it had held up.

I can't wait until you get to the part where Blade brutalizes a bleeding and unarmed police officer in the middle of a crowded street and no-one does anything about it. Actually, that seems to be kind of a recurring theme in this movie- bystanders just completely oblivious to what's going on around them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"You better wake up. The world you live in is just a sugar coated topping. There is another world beneath it: The real world. And if you want to survive it, you better learn, to pull, the trigger."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I thoroughly enjoy all three faces that Steve Dillon can draw. :colbert:

:haw:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

"You better wake up. The world you live in is just a sugar coated topping. There is another world beneath it: The real world. And if you want to survive it, you better learn, to pull, the trigger."

There's a war goin' on outside, no man is safe from.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

This is by no means intended to be a defense of Blade Trinity, but calling Dracula 2000 simply mediocre does a disservice to honest mediocre films like Blade.

Well even if you think Dracula 2000 is an insulting abomination, my point stands. Gerard Butler's Dracula is miles better than Purcell's, and look at what Butler had to work with!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

The script wasn't too helpful either.

THESE PEOPLE KNOW NOTHING OF HONOR OR LIVING BY THE SWORD!! *dangles a recently kidnapped infant off the side of a buiding* NOT LIKE YOU AND ME BLADE! *runs away like a punk because they need to fill 45 more minutes*

I thought that was a sweet part of the movie. Love me some blade 3.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Well even if you think Dracula 2000 is an insulting abomination, my point stands. Gerard Butler's Dracula is miles better than Purcell's, and look at what Butler had to work with!

Butler and Purcell's Draculas kind of form an unholy trinity of lovely Draculas with Richard Roxburgh's from Van Helsing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Reported for heresy

Some motherfuckers always tryin' to shitpost uphill

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Gyges posted:

Still a criminal under-use of Donny Yen though.
I will never forgive Guillermo Del Toro for this.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing about Blade 2 is Harry Knowle's amazing review.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/11793

a redheaded creep posted:

This is where Guillermo Del Toro goes down on the audience. It starts with long licks with a nose bump on the joy button slowly. He smiles as he does this… Watching the audience begin to squirm, then he takes the audiences’ clit in his mouth and just licks it like crazy, the audience is ready, on that precipice, then calm. He backs off… long licks again, brings in a finger to massage a bit, licks from the bottom to the top… The audience is cooing… He has them, they want release. He acts like he’s going to give it to you, takes you right to the edge, the audiences’ backs arched, ready to cum…. Backs off pinching the nipples just so, his head bobbing up to say, "You like?" The audience shifts around needing release, he builds again… The pressure at a near boiling point… Each stroke and moment a hypersensitive place… Two fingers to the sweet spot, the audience is there… right there at that point… suddenly he’s relentless taking the audience through a rampage of orgasms… trying to get away, trying to escape… back back back, but he has you, and he’s never going to let you forget this moment, the audience was electric… Frenetically frothing… Guillermo hears them begging no more, when he decides to stop for a moment, there is that relaxed calm… The audience relaxes… labored breathing… a sated smile, WHEN SUDDENLY THE RELENTLESS BASTARD IS AT IT AGAIN!!!! You begin laughing, trying to push him away, but no… more pleasure, more joy, more fun… You can’t handle it, you start giggling and screaming… And it goes like this for quite some time, till at the end… The credits roll, the theater lights come up… You look at the screen, you realize you want that tongue again… You want that feeling again, and you watch it again and again, because drat he respects the clit!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Left out the immortal "Blade II will kick your rear end and eat out your girlfriend's pussy."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The best thing about Blade 2 is Harry Knowle's amazing review.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/11793

While this seems like the worst thing anyone could ever write about a piece of entertainment its also important to remember that Knowles also wrote a piece about Claire's (from Heroes) regenerating hymen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alhazred posted:

While this seems like the worst thing anyone could ever write about a piece of entertainment its also important to remember that Knowles also wrote a piece about Claire's (from Heroes) regenerating hymen.

He was also psychotically obsessed with Salma Hyaak after their one scene together in the Faculty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Rhyno posted:

He was also psychotically obsessed with Salma Hyaak after their one scene together in the Faculty.

I remember that movie! Please tell me stories about his insane behavior because I can totally believe it. :allears:

• Locked thread