Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DeusExMachinima posted:

I remember that movie! Please tell me stories about his insane behavior because I can totally believe it. :allears:

It was some poo poo he said at a convention, how they had a magical connection or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Rhyno posted:

It was some poo poo he said at a convention, how they had a magical connection or something.

Was this before or after he married a mail-order bride?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Harry Knowles is a perpetual living parody of himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ChickenMedium posted:

Was this before or after he married a mail-order bride?

poo poo I dunno. It'd be in 1998 or whenever that film was made?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Sorry about the massive wait, I have been buried under legal garbage with dealing with my exemployer and have not been up for doing much.

Part 3: Introductions 0:11:00-00:22:50

This time, as opposed to a living body on a stretcher on the brink of death we have a corpse.

Although, once the cover it taken off it shows that it is Quinn. Certainly nothing bad will happen.

Anyways, here we meet Dr. Karen Jenson, a hematologist who works nightshift. We also learn that Curtis, the one morgue worker, is her persistent ex. Karen notices some odd structure to the blood and Curtis convinces her to take a look at the body.

During the autopsy Curtis badgers Karen about why they broke up. Apparently, it is because he is a huge rear end in a top hat.

At this point Quinn snaps back to life and goes right for Curtis.

After taking down Curtis, Quinn quickly turns his sights on Karen.

Blade magically shows up to punch Quinn in the face and then cut off his hand.

The security officers show up in record time and start unloading into Blade. Blade is completely unaffected by the bullets because of his armor.

In this time Quinn runs away by jumping out of the hospital an landing in an ambulance.

As Blade is about to leave he looks down at Karen and is reminded of his mother. There is a second flashback of when he last saw his mother. He decided to try to save her and Blade picks her up.

About half a dozen cops show up and without pausing start attacking and chasing him down.

To escape Blade throws Karen across a street and onto another building, and he quickly follows himself.

Blade and Karen hide behind the roof entrance of the building they are on. Karen informs Blade that she has a dislocated shoulder and Blade does what Blade does and fixes it.

For some reason a SWAT team dude with a backwards baseball cap is already on the scene and right has he starts shooting Blade and Karen manager to escape through the roof entrance.

Blade takes Karen back to his home base and Whistler(Kris Kristofferson) is there. Whistler is a great addition to the film. He is Blade sidekick and weapons maker. He is callous and blunt in his opinions of Karen and mentioned that Blade should have just killed her. After giving her a garlic shot to stabilize her transformation he just walks away and says he gives her 50/50 if she makes it through the night.

Welcome to the House of Erebus. They are the old guard of vampires. Dragonetti(Udi Kier!!!) looks through the photos of the blood rave massacre and has Frost meet with them.

Frost is called a disgrace to the vampire nation because he broke the treaty between humans and vampires. They give him poo poo for not being a pure blood vampire. In Frost's parting words he declares "You may wake up one day and find yourself extinct."

The morgue scene is pretty interesting because it works by repeating, in a way, the precredit scene in the hospital. They work on opposites though, in the first scene it takes place in an operating room where Blade is born into this world, and in this scene it is in the morgue of a hospital where Quinn comes back to life from death. These scenes focus on the brink of where life starts and ends. The entire movie kinda toys with the idea of what is death and where does it begin. I would argue that once you are turned you are dead and no longer human. Outside of the purebloods it seems that vampires are purely fueled by id and ego and seem to completely lack any level of humility that almost all of the humans seem to have in the movie. This loss of humanity might not be a literal death, but it is certainly a metaphorical one. The humanity that he has for Karen immediately shows that he is not a monster at all. He may be more aggressive, even going as far as torture Quinn, but at the end of the day he only attacks violent vampires. Even when the police shoot at him he practically shrugs it off and just tries to avoid them.

I really like Whistler as an addition to the movie. Going with the idea that the film cribs off of the Blaxploitation aesthetic it luckily seems to sidestep the trope of having a handicapped white male as the villain and instead makes Whistler the helper to Blade and the person who rescued him.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I absolutely love the little non-chalant looking away Blade does, almost towards the camera, at the moment he resets her shoulder. So early in the film and already so many little moments like that from Snipes.

Snipes inhabited and embodied his character better than any other actor in a comic book movie with the probable exception of Robert Downey Jr.

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
i love a charred quinn all blackened shouting "get out of my way you freak" at blade. like he sounds so annoyed at having gotten his rear end kicked and been set aflame and then having blade rock up to finish the job.
and yeah snipes owns this character so well, all his weird mannerisms and movements.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The jump of him waking up is pretty well earned too since the character's actions and the way it's shot is just textbook autopsy scene enough and so casual. I mean of course it's not Exorcist III hospital but it's pretty cool for a late nineties action flick.

Speaking of the film constantly toying with the idea of where life and dead end and begin, the slow motion of Blade meditating and then destroying his shrine, followed by him cutting the roots of the plant he had growing before rolling out for the final battle is amazing.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Fat Lou posted:

]Dragonetti(Udi Kier!!!)

I forgot Udo Kier was in this!

He is perhaps the greatest bad actor of our time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

revdrkevind posted:

"YOU bore me."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Somebody summed it up in a Photoshopped poster many years ago. "When Christopher Walken just isn't European enough, Udo Kier is...The Creepy Foreign Guy."
I wish I could find it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Christopher Walken is not European at all so that wouldn't make any sense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

revdrkevind posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWFEoIbMkFE

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Bad actor?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Somebody summed it up in a Photoshopped poster many years ago. "When Christopher Walken just isn't European enough, Udo Kier is...The Creepy Foreign Guy."
I wish I could find it.

revdrkevind posted:

Between these comments he may be the least understood actor of our time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I think the best comparison to Udo Kier would be Christopher Lee. A good actor who starred in a ton of films, most of which weren't all that good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I don't see why that doesn't also describe Walken

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't see why that doesn't also describe Walken

Did Udo Kier or Christopher Walken do Charlemagne-themed metal? I don't think so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

Udo Kier is like an extravagant spice. It's not about whether it's "good", it's about how it gets used.

Von Trier knows how to spice a movie with Udo Kier. Most directors... don't.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was always mildly curious, was the Blade TV series with Sticky Fingaz any good, or was it the Crow: Stairway to Heaven kind of bad?

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Not really. It had a few promising episodes, but had a really lovely finale, with all the main bad guys being defeated in battle but then miraculously running away to fight another day.

They tried to do the big over-arching narrative thing, but it was pretty lame, with lots of vampire politics stuff that had nothing to do with blade killing fools.
Fingaz wasn't a martial artist so it didn't really have good action going for it either.

If they had made it more of a "here's who blade has to fight this week" show, it probably could've worked.
Or if they'd cast Michael Jai White.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The best thing about Blade 2 is Harry Knowle's amazing review.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/11793

Pretty sure that's the worst thing about anything anywhere.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bullet3 posted:

Not really. It had a few promising episodes, but had a really lovely finale, with all the main bad guys being defeated in battle but then miraculously running away to fight another day.

They tried to do the big over-arching narrative thing, but it was pretty lame, with lots of vampire politics stuff that had nothing to do with blade killing fools.
Fingaz wasn't a martial artist so it didn't really have good action going for it either.

If they had made it more of a "here's who blade has to fight this week" show, it probably could've worked.
Or if they'd cast Michael Jai White.

Snipes was supposed to star in the show like up to the week before they started shooting. Sticky was like an emergency drop in replacement.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Snipes was supposed to star in the show like up to the week before they started shooting. Sticky was like an emergency drop in replacement.

What happened? Was this when he got busted?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Neo Rasa posted:

What happened? Was this when he got busted?

No, this was in relation to a lawsuit with New Line Cinema

"In a suit filed in the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Snipes alleges that in violation of his contract, the director, screenplay and supporting cast of “Blade: Trinity” were forced on him. He also claims he’s still owed a portion of his fee and that he was harassed and defamed because of his race. New Line declined to comment.
Goyer penned all three “Blade” scripts. According to the complaint, however, Snipes had concerns about him directing the third film in the trilogy and was not informed until six weeks before filming began that Goyer would direct. Similarly, he was not given an opportunity to object to the “juvenile level of humor” in the screenplay and the change in focus from the Blade character to two sidekicks. Snipes claims the real purpose of “Blade III” was to set the stage for spinoffs featuring other cast members."

http://variety.com/2005/biz/markets-festivals/snipes-throwing-legal-blade-at-trinity-team-1117921445/

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Bohemian Nights posted:

No, this was in relation to a lawsuit with New Line Cinema

"In a suit filed in the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, Snipes alleges that in violation of his contract, the director, screenplay and supporting cast of “Blade: Trinity” were forced on him. He also claims he’s still owed a portion of his fee and that he was harassed and defamed because of his race. New Line declined to comment.
Goyer penned all three “Blade” scripts. According to the complaint, however, Snipes had concerns about him directing the third film in the trilogy and was not informed until six weeks before filming began that Goyer would direct. Similarly, he was not given an opportunity to object to the “juvenile level of humor” in the screenplay and the change in focus from the Blade character to two sidekicks. Snipes claims the real purpose of “Blade III” was to set the stage for spinoffs featuring other cast members."

http://variety.com/2005/biz/markets-festivals/snipes-throwing-legal-blade-at-trinity-team-1117921445/

This is yet another reason why writers should never direct.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah this is awful, much like Blade III's script and direction.

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
Also, the morgue scene is amazing for the real life injury Logue suffered where he dislocated his jaw during the shoot, and had to go to an actual emergency room.

In the burnt and bloodied make-up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wait, no mention of "Motherfucker are you out of your drat mind?"

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Wait, no mention of "Motherfucker are you out of your drat mind?"

I love this bit because Snipes delivers it in a completely different tone to everything else he says in the entire movie, all high-pitched and frantic rather than slow and gruff. And his expression is absolutely priceless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quote-Unquote posted:

I love this bit because Snipes delivers it in a completely different tone to everything else he says in the entire movie, all high-pitched and frantic rather than slow and gruff. And his expression is absolutely priceless.

It's almost out of place but I still love it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

I kinda take it as he is just confused why humans are even trying to attack him when the best they are going to do is cause a minor injury and maybe kill some bystanders . There is practically no threat from humans since normal bullets are not going to drop vampires, so Blade's response is in line with a god being attacked by a human. He is pretty much just laughing at them. Later in the scene when he is running away from them it is not because he is afraid of getting hit, but he is afraid of Karen being hit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I love it, and it's perfectly in place because it tells us not so far into the movie that Blade gives zero fucks about anything that doesn't involve killing vampires or getting revenge on his mom's killer.

Victorian Brigade
Apr 30, 2004
I am neither furry nor moist

Quote-Unquote posted:

One of the great things about this quote is that it is said in the same exact tone as that of an incredulous parent who can't believe they just saw their children trying to pull something really ineffectual and stupid. If you picture a parent seeing a young child placing a rickety box on top of a teetering chair to try and get some cookies that are on top of a refrigerator, with the child thinking they are pulling the wool over the parent's eyes, you kind of get the idea.

I'd even go so far to say as I wouldn't be surprised if Wesley Snipes added it. It wasn't exactly an uncommon colloquialism within that context in the Black community in Southern California in the late 80's early 90's. Minus the motherfucker part of course.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Oh yeah it reeks of being ad libbed, and it's amazing. It seems massively out of character at first but yeah, take it in the context of Blade being completely bewildered at the stupidity of the cops to try to shoot him when there's a fried dead guy rushing about and it makes a lot of sense.

I can never decide which is my favourite line out of that, "some mother fuckers always trying to ice skate up hill" or "catch you fuckers at a bad time?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quote-Unquote posted:

"catch you fuckers at a bad time?"

Man, Kristofferson sells the gently caress out of that one. I grin like a fool every time I watch that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viNfg6b9wvA

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Rhyno posted:

Man, Kristofferson sells the gently caress out of that one. I grin like a fool every time I watch that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viNfg6b9wvA

This line, and "Motherfucker are you out of your mind?" are definitely my favorite lines in the entire movie. They both just seem so loving natural, even though the latter is somewhat out of character for Blade.

I also always have to laugh at the way Blade just casually jabs the blonde vamp lady who is barely paying attention as he grabs Karen and escapes while Whistler covers them. It's simultaneously effortless and somehow vindictively petty at the same time.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I started taking screenshots of the next update, and the music for when Karen is at Blade's place is just amazing. It is very John Carpenter in all the right ways.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

I can never decide which is my favourite line out of that, "some mother fuckers always trying to ice skate up hill" or "catch you fuckers at a bad time?"

The silent 'what the fuuuuck?' during the end fight is also amazingly delivered.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My favorite non-badass line in the movie is easily when Whistler's telling Karen about the vampire that killed his wife and kids. "He tried to make me choose" is such a great line that implies so much. I want that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I've always appreciated "Well, you already met Mr. Crispy at the hospital" when Karen expressed doubt on the existence of vampires. It's just the deadpan and casual way Wesley Snipes says it that still cracks me up.

I love this movie; it's so drat quotable and every badass line is delivered perfectly.

• Locked thread