Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rhyno posted:

Didn't White Wolf sue over the similarities?

A quick google search show that no, they only sued over Underworld, which to me seems weird. Blade has a lot more blatant similarities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rhyno posted:

Didn't White Wolf sue over the similarities?

They couldn't touch Blade because how do you touch one of the raddest movies and, the basic idea of vampires running things from behind the scenes isn't new. They did sue Sony over Underworld though. I'm sure someone else can give details but long story short Sony tried to claim that the makers of Underworld had never heard of World of Darkness or White Wolf and that any similarities (even in some of the terminology used) are a coincidence because of course it's a story about werewolves and vampires so it will seem similar but come on, it's not like White Wolf invented vampires and werewolves. But then White Wolf presented footage of some of the people behind Underworld from a con where they straight up talk about how important White Wolf is and how much influence it had on their ideas for Underworld so that basically ended it.

EDIT: I feel like Underworld is waaaaay more blatant in its imitation, but besides that, the Blade comic character had been around since 1973. Even if White Wolf thought Blade was too close I'm sure they figured with that long of a run pretty much any incarnation of "overlord vampires" was covered in the comics somewhere. The other big difference in that the actual abilities the various vampires use are often very similar to how vampires can act in the White Wolf games, while in Blade there's the more basic being killed by prolonged sunlight and being able to regenerate, which has been around forever.

It seems like a thin line but Underworld very clearly imitates Vampire in the terminology used for its groups, the way the social order is structured, etc., while Blade does its own thing.

Finally, regarding Blade and Vampire: The Masquerade, vampires and vampire hunters roaming from city to city until one is picked clean of the other? Ancient blood gods with secrets revealed via forbidden scriptures? Very limited walking around in daylight for vampires that have less pure blood? All of that stuff is in the White Wolf book Guide to the Sabbat, from 1999.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 10, 2015

FlowerPattern
Aug 10, 2015
Fat Lou, thank you for the continued scene by scene work. This is a public service of some kind you are doing. Seriously. I haven't seen this movie in years but it is oddly fascinating to go through here haha.

This movie is amazing though. I still use the iceskate uphill line. Sadly, few people seem to care for the reference in my personal circles.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

New Line Cinema should've sued the poo poo out of the developers/publishers of SiN game, they had a black guy named Blade as the protagonist using the same gun from the first movie.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fat Lou posted:

Frost continues to listen to his kickin rad techno until Dragonetti yells at him. Frost then gets up and tells Dragonetti to keep his voice down because they are in a library.

What was this kickin' rad techno? It sounded almost like an already abstract song rendered in reverse and I liked it. I want more.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The most Captain Obvious-esque video title ever: http://youtu.be/34bDl63vWzk
Not sure if it classifies as drum'n'bass or jungle, I could never tell those two apart.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 10, 2015

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Thanks for all of this. I played World of Darkness for all of like an afternoon, so I have no clue about anything related to it.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 10, 2015

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Fat Lou posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, I don't know why I completely forgot about that part.

So is that an allegory for something? I can't put my finger on what it is though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

This driving right here is when I noticed that a lot of the ambiance music seems to be styled after John Carpenter. Right here has a minimal beat that kinda resembles a heartbeat.

The city in general is very white and sterile looking and the music matches it. This changes noticeably after Blade has the "You better wake up..." dialogue with Karen. The score is generally Carpenter-esque but from that point on is much more sinister and urgent.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 11, 2015

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Neo Rasa posted:

They couldn't touch Blade because how do you touch one of the raddest movies and, the basic idea of vampires running things from behind the scenes isn't new. They did sue Sony over Underworld though. I'm sure someone else can give details but long story short Sony tried to claim that the makers of Underworld had never heard of World of Darkness or White Wolf and that any similarities (even in some of the terminology used) are a coincidence because of course it's a story about werewolves and vampires so it will seem similar but come on, it's not like White Wolf invented vampires and werewolves. But then White Wolf presented footage of some of the people behind Underworld from a con where they straight up talk about how important White Wolf is and how much influence it had on their ideas for Underworld so that basically ended it.

EDIT: I feel like Underworld is waaaaay more blatant in its imitation, but besides that, the Blade comic character had been around since 1973. Even if White Wolf thought Blade was too close I'm sure they figured with that long of a run pretty much any incarnation of "overlord vampires" was covered in the comics somewhere. The other big difference in that the actual abilities the various vampires use are often very similar to how vampires can act in the White Wolf games, while in Blade there's the more basic being killed by prolonged sunlight and being able to regenerate, which has been around forever.

It seems like a thin line but Underworld very clearly imitates Vampire in the terminology used for its groups, the way the social order is structured, etc., while Blade does its own thing.

Finally, regarding Blade and Vampire: The Masquerade, vampires and vampire hunters roaming from city to city until one is picked clean of the other? Ancient blood gods with secrets revealed via forbidden scriptures? Very limited walking around in daylight for vampires that have less pure blood? All of that stuff is in the White Wolf book Guide to the Sabbat, from 1999.

The Underworld law suit was because there was a specific short story in some Vampire: the Masquerade fiction anthology that was basically the same plot, in addition to using a bunch of the same terminology and such. It was kinda blatant.

Also, while Guide to the Sabbat was released in 1999, the Player's Guide to the Sabbat, for an earlier edition of Vampire, was released in 1992. I personally think it's pretty likely that V:tM was a big influence on Blade's vampire culture, which is a good thing because it's cool.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Gilok posted:

Also, while Guide to the Sabbat was released in 1999, the Player's Guide to the Sabbat, for an earlier edition of Vampire, was released in 1992. I personally think it's pretty likely that V:tM was a big influence on Blade's vampire culture, which is a good thing because it's cool.

I'm sure there was some influence, but the specific examples I mentioned IIRC didn't appear until the 1999 guide. But in general yeah I'm glad Blade took it in a different direction and made it less gothic and more smarmy. Either way unlike with Underworld (that's crazy that they straight up ripped one of the novels that blatantly) I think Blade does more than enough to differentiate itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

All I'm saying is, it would be cool to see Blade fight the crazy elder vampires from V:tM, like the scientist who'd discovered how vampires work by vivisecting other vamps or those who had time manipulating powers for no reasons (maybe the writers had read too much Jojo?).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That would mega own. They tried to play up Drake in Blade III like he was going to have crazy abilities like that but, uh...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

MonsieurChoc posted:

All I'm saying is, it would be cool to see Blade fight the crazy elder vampires from V:tM, like the scientist who'd discovered how vampires work by vivisecting other vamps or those who had time manipulating powers for no reasons (maybe the writers had read too much Jojo?).

Blade: Trinity would have been a great movie if, in the first scene, the vampires don't uncover Dracula, they uncover Malak.

Just an unknowable eating machine. An insane whirlwind of teeth that create storm clouds that rain blood so that he and his followers may walk in the day. poo poo, you don't kill the elders. You have to survive their onslaught until they get tired and meld back into the earth.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Blade: Trinity would have been a great movie if, in the first scene, the vampires don't uncover Dracula, they uncover Malak.

Just an unknowable eating machine. An insane whirlwind of teeth that create storm clouds that rain blood so that he and his followers may walk in the day. poo poo, you don't kill the elders. You have to survive their onslaught until they get tired and meld back into the earth.

The Antedeluvians (the founder of the clans) are all pretty insane. One is a gigantic flesh mosntrosity that can take over anyone who drank his blood when he dies (and by modern times, that's a lot of vampires), another one has melded with the Earth and at one point in the Gehenna book eats a city. There's one that survives as a mind-network infecting his entire clan with madness. There's one that wants to wipe out his own clan and has bred an army of huge blood mosnters in the Arctic. There's the evil snake god who's cult is trying to resurrect.

Blade taking on something on that level of crazy and winning would make for a pretty awesome fight.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My favorite was how the Malkavian antideluvian, whose clan was universally insane on some level, basically transcended vampirism to become a self-aware mass hallucination.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Inzombiac posted:

Hi I need a source for this

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Literally The Worst posted:

Hi I need a source for this

I think it's in the Gehena book. It talks about what happens when the ancients wake up.
The Tzimitzie (?) clan can mold flesh and their elder is now The Flesh Cathedral. It presumably rests beneath Manhattan or maybe the Collusieum, no one knows, and moves about underground. It rises to those that can find it and they add themselves the pulsing, undulating architecture.

Like the guy above said, I think it's the ancient Bruja that is disgusted with his "thin blood" clan that he wants to eat them all to make himself alpha-vampire supreme and fire blood spikes out if his eyes.

White Wolf writes the stupidest poo poo and I adore it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This why I always kind of liked the alternate end fight they tried for Blade. In the movie, Frost completes the ritual and then Blade fights him. Frost has special powers because he completed the ritual and now he's a "blood god" These powers are basically only showcased in the "you cut me in half but blood puts me back together" scene which is great, but it's kind of underwhelming. On dvd, you can see an incomplete version of what they originally planned. Instead of staying a humanoid vampire, Frost becomes essentially a giant fountain of CGI blood. This crazy blood elemental that fills the whole room in a vortex of blood. He beats it the same way, with the serum that reacts violently with vampire blood, but instead of an underwhelming martial arts fight, it's man against literally blood-god.

Here is an interview about it, skip to 8:00 in for the test footage (not sure if this is the correct term) of what the ending was originally going to be like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnzen9QCmrs

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

With modern CG and more actual fighting, that would be kickin' rad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

With modern CG and more actual fighting, that would be kickin' rad.

yeah, you can see why they didn't go with what they have, but with modern CGI on an MCU budget, that would have been amazing. Frost is literally the most forgettable part of Blade to me. He's a generic antagonist and the threat is: "An rear end in a top hat will be powerful". The True La Magra is much more interesting be it is explicitly non-human. Humanoid vampires have this thing where they are basically standins for evil humans. Udo Kier is the old-money industrial control while Frost is the tech startup. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Meet La Magra, and it's a literal apocalypse.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snak posted:

yeah, you can see why they didn't go with what they have, but with modern CGI on an MCU budget, that would have been amazing. Frost is literally the most forgettable part of Blade to me. He's a generic antagonist and the threat is: "An rear end in a top hat will be powerful". The True La Magra is much more interesting be it is explicitly non-human. Humanoid vampires have this thing where they are basically standins for evil humans. Udo Kier is the old-money industrial control while Frost is the tech startup. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Meet La Magra, and it's a literal apocalypse.

On the other hand, "villain is/turns into a cloud" has been done before in comic book movies. I agree that it would be amazing if it were something akin to the ending of new Evild Dead, but I'd expect Rise of the Silver Surfer before I'd expect Evil Dead.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

"Hero fights a giant cgi blob" as the climatic fight is the worst idea for any movie, no matter the year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

fatherboxx posted:

"Hero fights a giant cgi blob" as the climatic fight is the worst idea for any movie, no matter the year.

Eh. It depends what kind of story it is. Yeah if you need a manifest antagonist to tell your story, go with that. If your story comes to an existential conclusion, the cgi blob might just work. Guardians of the Galaxy basically pulls this off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

On the other hand, "villain is/turns into a cloud" has been done before in comic book movies. I agree that it would be amazing if it were something akin to the ending of new Evild Dead, but I'd expect Rise of the Silver Surfer before I'd expect Evil Dead.

Plus wasn't a lot of new Evil Dead's final struggle done with practical effects (save the hand/etc.) anyway?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Eh. It depends what kind of story it is. Yeah if you need a manifest antagonist to tell your story, go with that. If your story comes to an existential conclusion, the cgi blob might just work. Guardians of the Galaxy basically pulls this off.

Not exactly a blob, and I'd expect plenty of people to disagree with me, but I feel like Hellboy pulled it off as well. The whole Nazis building a portal to the Elder Gods thing was great and I don't think just a super-powered Rasputin would have been as good as what they went with.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Basebf555 posted:

Not exactly a blob, and I'd expect plenty of people to disagree with me, but I feel like Hellboy pulled it off as well. The whole Nazis building a portal to the Elder Gods thing was great and I don't think just a super-powered Rasputin would have been as good as what they went with.

No yeah, the first Hellboy was great, and the Ogdru Jahad worked really well. Haven't seen the second so no comment on that.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Second one has an actual boss fight, it's pretty sweet

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Hellboy 2 is a very beautiful mess.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gilok posted:

Yeah, He2boy in general is pretty underrated and that final fight was really satisfying. Coincidentally, the final boss from that movie was also the final boss in Blade 2.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I haven't watched it since it came out, but I was disappointed at the time. I seem to recall the second movie losing a lot of its horror vibe and that's a big part of what makes hellboy, hellboy

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like pacing and tone were HB1's biggest problems, for which there is no easy fix. HB2 multiplies all of them by 100. I should really watch it again some time though, because even though I thought it was really bad, a lot of the visuals have stuck with me, since they were so fantastic.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

I haven't watched it since it came out, but I was disappointed at the time. I seem to recall the second movie losing a lot of its horror vibe and that's a big part of what makes hellboy, hellboy

That's certainly true about the horror elements, but HB2 replaced those horror elements with fantasy elements straight out of the pages of Neil Gaiman, which worked fine enough for me.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

That's certainly true about the horror elements, but HB2 replaced those horror elements with fantasy elements straight out of the pages of Neil Gaiman, which worked fine enough for me.

Fantasy has always been a huge part of Hellboy. The main theme in the comic and the movie was fairy tales versus the real world.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Wasn't Gaiman even involved in the movie in some off-the-books way, since del Toro was at the same time working with him on the failed Death movie?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hellboy 2 still has the ebst depiction of an angel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl8q9jezU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hellboy 2 still has the ebst depiction of an angel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl8q9jezU

Alright, that is a loving old testament angel, none of that pretty man with swan wings bullshit, but a deformed giant with eyed wings. I'm gonna watch that movie for sure.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Hellboy 2 is one of the most gorgeous spectacles I've ever seen put to film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't Gaiman even involved in the movie in some off-the-books way, since del Toro was at the same time working with him on the failed Death movie?

Gaiman stopped by the set to get some directing pointers from del Toro. The fairytale stuff was decided early on by both Guillermo and Mike Mignola. In the documentary Mignola mentions how the first movie was "a little lite on monsters", so the sequel gets jam packed with them.

• Locked thread