Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The thing that does mark it as an early comic book movie is how much exposition is in it. At the time, you can see the film makers didn't know how much they can trust the audience to keep up with, and so we get lots of scenes making sure we get exactly how Blade and his world work. By comparison, things like Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier spend about two minutes on exposition and trust you to keep up.
The thing that has aged incredibly well is just how crazy Snipes plays Blade as. He's not a surly good guy so much as a bad guy let loose on other bad guys. It is committed to the idea of him being a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's also just possible that Wesley Snipes doesn't know what year it is. He may think it's 1997 and he just left the meeting.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The fight choreography was weird. There's a bit later on where I swear Blade lightly slaps one of the armoured guards to death.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Harry Knowles is a perpetual living parody of himself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Somebody summed it up in a Photoshopped poster many years ago. "When Christopher Walken just isn't European enough, Udo Kier is...The Creepy Foreign Guy."
I wish I could find it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I don't see why that doesn't also describe Walken

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This was the dumbest thing in Blade 2 because the make a big deal about how they all have these UV guns and stuff that will completely own the reapers/vampires and then they just stroll into that sewer and get completely clowned anyway because they decide not to use them for no reason at all.

Nah, they get clowned because Lighthammer turns and Chupa is an idiot. Also, there's way more of them than they anticipated. Honestly, Del Toro's pretty good at letting you understand why fights turn out particular ways.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The third film has that terrible scene right when they bust Blade out and their driver dude just roll sup in his lovely truck, runs right through the police barricades, jumps out and yells "WHOOP! COME ON!" and they all manage to get in the truck and drive away while the police that are like 5 feet away manage to not land a single shot.

I hate Blade 3.

It's sort of weird that a film written and directed by the same person has a scene where they're written into a situation they can't get out of. I remember listening to the commentary, and that scene involved about twenty cop cars. (somehow feeling like less) So they specifically shot a scene to give a certain impression, then undid the scene straight away. It's weird, because the confusion of the corridors is depicted quite well. Like, you get that they escape the building because the Vampires and FBI are almost as busy fighting each other.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...not that many have, dude. Out of the current crop of big-name actors, you've got Fassbender (who may or may not have actually done it), Terence Howard, and Josh Brolin. Snipes, Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson, Mickey Rourke, Sean Penn, Sean Connery, etc. also, but their stars have all faded pretty badly, so it seems like a fair bet that nobody in Hollywood likes domestic abusers either.

It quickly caught up with Connery after a mere 40 years as a megastar and icon and his own retirement. That'll show him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

effectual posted:

Oh man, I haven't watched that in 15 years. Is it worth revisiting? I see it's on youtube in full.

There was some other vampire anime back around then...Helsing? With some sniper rifle girl? Any good? Also some other vampire series or movie ending with a castle and some lovely song that sounded like some crap from Ani Difranco or something like that. And maybe in one of these movies or series, but there was a cool scenes with a vampire attacking wooden sail boats?

Hellsing Ultimate is really good. It took 7 years or so for all 10 episodes to come out, but it's finished now.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

On the talk of what a new Blade series should be like I'm gonna go off the rails and say I'd love to see a series with Blade and his Howling Commandos or a Midnight Sons series. The Howling Commandos have shown up in the Ultimate Spider Man and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH so they are somewhat relevant as agents of SHIELD, and the Midnight Sons would be a good way to pass the torch of Ghost Rider from Blaze to Danny.

As for the movies, I got my hands on the set that has all three movies and what was shown of the HBO? series. I still only watch Blade 1 & 2 and am still aggravated to this day that they didn't utilize Donnie Yen more in the second movie.

He wasn't even supposed to be in it. He was one of the many choreographers they had and ended up in the movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Two Finger posted:

It's not like he's a bad actor either

It is. It really is. After seeing Special ID, he seems like a choreographer with a lot of good ideas that have to make their way past a lot of bad ones on the way out of his brain. In Flash Point, he expertly fused modern sports martial arts, grappling and traditional stuff into something really kinetic and rad. In Special ID, he just has a bad grappling fight with another bad grappler.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Killzone SPL will always be Yen's best movie. Hong Kong shot like a neon urban hell, melodrama for days, insane finishing fight, it's got it all.

There's a sequel (in the sense that it had the same name) anyone know if it's any good?

Also, yes, SPL is hilariously melodramatic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Two Finger posted:

i thought he was top notch in Ip Man for what it's worth

Aside from the ridiculously one sided final fight and the literal worship of him by a crowd, yeah, Ip Man is pretty solid.
And the sequel has probably the most mean-spirited character death ever, it's fantastic.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 21, 2015

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snak posted:

Eh. The point of the final fight is that it's ridiculously one-sided.
things that are deliberately bad are still bad

quote:

. I really want to see a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon style movie based on the origin legend of Wing Chun. The story goes that a princess, Yim Wing Chun, did not want to marry this badass, but because she was super hardcore, she told him if he could beat her in a fight, she might reconsider. Then she trained with a Shaolin monk who invented a new style of kung fu specifically for a woman to beat a larger, stronger man. She won, then married a guy that she actually like and trained him her new martial art. He named it after her.
I do want to see this movie, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Spike TV always feels like a comedy sketch that escaped into our world

"We can't have women watch our channel full of fit, shirtless men"

• Locked thread