Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Snowman_McK posted:

The thing that does mark it as an early comic book movie is how much exposition is in it. At the time, you can see the film makers didn't know how much they can trust the audience to keep up with, and so we get lots of scenes making sure we get exactly how Blade and his world work. By comparison, things like Guardians of the Galaxy and Winter Soldier spend about two minutes on exposition and trust you to keep up.
The thing that has aged incredibly well is just how crazy Snipes plays Blade as. He's not a surly good guy so much as a bad guy let loose on other bad guys. It is committed to the idea of him being a monster.

I think that's mostly just lovely direction. Although Guardians wasn't directly poorly, it's just that we're following an idiot who's as lost as we are so let's dive into this world with him, etc.

At least the first Iron Man and the suit tests, there's constant wold-building there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Jack's Flow posted:

I love Blade, it's my favorite comic book movie by far. But man, I hate Blade 2 and Blade Jessica-Biel-iPod-Killing-Playlist-Edition.

You cock-juggling thundercunt.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Fat Lou posted:

]Dragonetti(Udi Kier!!!)

I forgot Udo Kier was in this!

He is perhaps the greatest bad actor of our time.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't see why that doesn't also describe Walken

Did Udo Kier or Christopher Walken do Charlemagne-themed metal? I don't think so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvKRbi2ovDY

Udo Kier is like an extravagant spice. It's not about whether it's "good", it's about how it gets used.

Von Trier knows how to spice a movie with Udo Kier. Most directors... don't.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Speaking of Vampire, wasn't the whole impetus of Requiem initially just trying to make a vampire universe that wasn't completely generic so it would be easier to sue?

The old Vampire was really, really generic so while I get there were specific works that may have been close enough to warrant a look, you really have to take a step back and see how hard it would be to enforce most of it. The vampires are led by a council of Old Guys who try to protect the Great Secret- so original. And the vampires are all decked out in black leather and they have automatic guns and sunglasses at night- just like any pack of 80s movie thugs. If you were to ask any given group of kids in the 90s to write an RPG about modern-day vampires you probably would have gotten something that would look a lot like a Vampire book. Or Blade. Or most any vampire movie since the 80s. John Carpenter's Vampires comes to mind.

Fat Lou posted:

And Chekhov's GunSword. This room has always interested me because it is the only time you get a look into what Blade does in his downtime. Kung Fu movies, and generally Eastern philosophy, has always been kinda reappropriated into blacksploitation movies, so this is not that far of a step from that. However, the two individual other pieces of media that I associate with this scene is Wu-Tang Clan and Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

Not to be a nitpicking dick just tossing it out. "Reappropriated" is wrong here. You mean "appropriation", the re- would be taking it back.

The time of the Civil Rights movement was the same time a lot of people were seeing their first Kung-Fu movies, and the era when the first major scholars of the East were becoming popular (along with tons of awful gurus). People thought everyone in Asia learned martial arts because knowing how to defend yourself makes you more confident, an oppressor can't overtake your village if every farmer knows martial arts, all your people learn proper discipline, it was a whole picture of a community that resonated at the time. Martial arts became a symbol for how the black community could both build their sense of community and also kill (or at least defend themselves from) whitey. So in a lot of cases there were very good intentions, and people were often going off the best scholarship available to them. Which was awful and racist, but it would be a while before people really knew that.

So not as much "culturally appropriated", as they'd just heard this cool vision for a society and were projecting their experience onto that. There wasn't any intention of malice or stealing, just see how Wu Tang actually point people toward the old Kung Fu films.

• Locked thread