Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Snowman_McK posted:

The thing that has aged incredibly well is just how crazy Snipes plays Blade as. He's not a surly good guy so much as a bad guy let loose on other bad guys. It is committed to the idea of him being a monster.

This is always what makes the movie interesting to me compared to the modern era of comic book movies: Blade isn't really a hero. He's a monster killing other monsters, it just happens that vampires are monsters who feed on humans, so we perceive him as a good guy. He has a handful of connections to the human world (Whistler, Karen Jensen, various side characters we see snippets of) but that's about as far as his sympathy or concern for people extends. Every current Marvel hero (and like half the villains) are portrayed as inherently good people in extraordinary circumstances. Blade is just a dude waging his own war in a way that's just slightly more moral than the monsters he's fighting against and anything that gets in the way of that is collateral damage.

It's a shame that Marvel seemingly has no interest in folding the Blade franchise into the current Marvel universe, although given their adherence to certain themes and aesthetics maybe it's for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Helsing posted:

I was thinking as I read this thread that it's really surprising that they haven't decided to remake Blade yet. Then I looked it up and found out Blade is a Marvel character. Given the output of the MCU it's hard to imagine Marvel greenlighting an R rated movie with buckets of blood, swearing and violence.

I don't think I realized until recently just how much more bloody and violent a lot of my favourite 80s and 90s movies are compared to contemporary action movies.

It's very bloody, much bloodier than any of the recent Marvel stuff, although I haven't seen Daredevil yet and I've heard that show is fairly brutal in the action scenes. Blade is also one of those 90's action movies where the protagonist is either shooting at or beating up uniformed cops, something that's very hard to get away with in the current culture. Even as much as people distrust cops now there's still a lot of deference given to police unions and such. You can't show a hero beating the poo poo out of police in riot armor any more.

A Blade film could be super interesting in the modern context of police brutality, distrust of government, hyper-connectivity and media saturation, etc. but given that Marvel is very much set in their ways as far as how movies are structured and the tone there's not much hope for something that really stands out. Not to say that you couldn't make a good Blade movie without violence, swearing, and bloody action, but it'd be a completely different beast and probably be nowhere near as well thought of as the original.

Although if they got Udo Kier and Kris Kristofferson to come back, and gave Donal Lough a bit part where he wore cornrows, that would go a long way. I always found it interesting that apparently Krisofferson had a huge problem with all the swearing he had to do in the movie, even though he hits that gruff old man note perfectly.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 9, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Agreed, though I would kill for like a separate ultra violent MCU they can use for Punisher/Blade/Ghost Rider/whatever.

I think this was a thing for like 5 minutes back around the time the Ghost Rider movies got made. The second Ghost Rider movie even has the "Marvel Knights" placard in the opening credits, which was the imprint that a lot of the harder edged comics were getting published under at the time. Unfortunately, given the stinker quality of the Ghost Rider movies, the Marvel Knights thing probably got axed permanently in favor of the more lucrative, family friendly stuff. Daredevil and Winter Soldier are probably about as edgy and/or violent as the MCU is going to get for the time being, although we'll see how the Punisher series shakes out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Serendipitous timing: http://deadline.com/2015/07/wesley-snipes-blade-comic-con-interview-blade-the-player-1201472733/

Wesley Snipes posted:

DEADLINE: Well, will you be bringing the vampire hunter back?

SNIPES: The project is controlled by Marvel and we did have a really productive and a wonderful meeting and we discussed a number of things. I don’t know where it’s on their schedule at this point, that hasn’t been decided. I guess it’s still up in the air.

DEADLINE: Could we see you going the ever expanding Marvel Universe in another way?

SNIPES: That’s a possibility too. I’ve always been a fan of these pieces and adaptations and I’d be nice to be a part of the family again. But if we don’t to a Blade 4 or something else with Marvel, we’ll do something else. We have some other characters and some other concepts that are going to be just as exciting and hopefully just as successful. The first season of The Player will be interesting as well because we have drama and action, which is what I like. It gives me a chance to do a number of different things.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 10, 2015

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Man, Kristofferson sells the gently caress out of that one. I grin like a fool every time I watch that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viNfg6b9wvA

This line, and "Motherfucker are you out of your mind?" are definitely my favorite lines in the entire movie. They both just seem so loving natural, even though the latter is somewhat out of character for Blade.

I also always have to laugh at the way Blade just casually jabs the blonde vamp lady who is barely paying attention as he grabs Karen and escapes while Whistler covers them. It's simultaneously effortless and somehow vindictively petty at the same time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

n3wt posted:

I don't think there will be a Blade 4: no one wants to work with Wesley Snipes.

Snipes is having a little bit of a career resurgence, so I wouldn't count it out, but it's not likely either. I think someone posted earlier ITT about speculation around a series or new movie series where Blade has a daughter who takes over the vampire hunting part and Blade is in the Whistler role, which would be fun to see if they cast it right and let the writer/director run with a R rating like the original.

Again, unlikely, but there's been some creative shake-ups at Marvel recently and if Snipes can mend some bridges maybe we'll get to see a return to the cinematic Blade stories in a few years.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

n3wt posted:

There's the little matter of him having beat the crap out of Halle Berry so bad she lost 80% of her hearing in one ear. More importantly for hollywood, he demands big salaries for uncertain returns.

When did this happen? I've literally never heard about it, although I don't disbelieve it.

Edit: Nvm, googled it. Goddamn, are there any actors out there that HAVEN'T beat up a woman?

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...not that many have, dude. Out of the current crop of big-name actors, you've got Fassbender (who may or may not have actually done it), Terence Howard, and Josh Brolin. Snipes, Charlie Sheen, Mel Gibson, Mickey Rourke, Sean Penn, Sean Connery, etc. also, but their stars have all faded pretty badly, so it seems like a fair bet that nobody in Hollywood likes domestic abusers either.

Of the top of my head, you've got Bill Murray, Christian Bale, David O Russell, and Nic Cage that have all been accused of domestic violence and still get plenty of work. It's not like any of those dudes are blacklisted.

• Locked thread