Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Actually, I Am..., also known as "My Monster Secret", "Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa", or "The Truth Is, I Am"(sometimes called Truthism for short), is a popular and hilarious romcom manga that has now gotten its own anime series. It follows Asahi Kuromine, a boy who's a terrible liar, and has to hide the fact that his classmate Youko Shiragami is a vampire from everyone, or she'll be taken back home by her father. As time passes, more cute+dumb characters appear, including Nagisa Aizawa, Mikan Akemi, Shiho Shishido, and more. It's chock full of shenanigans and misunderstandings, but don't mistake it for purgatorial drek like Nisekoi; in MMS things actually happen, and the misunderstandings lead to the great comedy. It's a super fun, funny, adorable series, and I can only hope the reaction faces stand up to the manga's.

Series trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEXDuPAZGT0

Cast of characters(anime representations of each character will be added after the first episode airs):

quote:

Meet Asahi Kuromine. He's you're typical oblivious harem protagonist, a Tenchi-type, sans ancient alien superpowers. He is the Man Who Cannot Lie.

Kuromine has a crush on Youko Shiragami.

Shiragami's a quiet, attractive girl in his class. She also happens to be a vampire. If her secret is ever found out, her father, a vampire lord, will force her to return home. This becomes a problem when the likes of Akemi Mikan, the sadistic school reporter and childhood friend of Kuromine, takes an interest in her.

Nagisa Aizawa keeps her in line as the class rep, but also has her own share of secrets. She's a space alien piloting a "giant" robot version of herself.

Eventually more characters show up to complicate things, including Shiragami's childhood friend, Shiro. They are a werewolf. Shiro is one of my favorite characters in the series.

Cast voice actor list:
Natsuki Hanae as Asahi Kuromine
Yū Serizawa as Yōko Shiragami
Inori Minase as Nagisa Aizawa
Reina Ueda as Mikan Akemi
Aya Uchida as Shiho Shishido
M.A.O as Akane Kōmoto
Emi Nitta as Akari Kōmoto

First episode airs the day after this post!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Does this have more or less anime titty than the other monster girl anime?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Much, much less. There is next to no fanservice in the manga. Unless the anime pumps it up for some un-godly (which I doubt), it will have the least anime tits of most animes this season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's fanservice, but primarily from the character whose entire MO is self-aware fanservice, and is generally played for laughs.

This is the character's ideas of sexy poses, for example. The thread title is not a joke

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Basically zero anime titty, judging from the manga. Also, no panty flashes either, so you can pretty much drop the comparison to a certain other famous vampire girl harem manga right at the premise.

Despite not watching much anime each season, I'm totally on board for this one, if only to see if the team is up to the task of faithfully recreating the manga's amazing, lovely faces.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The anime looks kinda... not like it's capitalizing on the unique style of the manga. Who's making it?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Sheer filth!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

OnimaruXLR posted:

The anime looks kinda... not like it's capitalizing on the unique style of the manga. Who's making it?

It has the same director as Servant x Service and Squid Girl, so that's something to keep in mind.

Also here's a PV since still promotional images aren't that useful here.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Allarion posted:

It has the same director as Servant x Service and Squid Girl, so that's something to keep in mind.

Moé blush everywhere -- all the time!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
This is going to be on crunchyroll? Do we know how many episodes?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Sheer charisma!

Agreed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Allarion posted:

I completely forgot there was a preview. Adding it to the OP!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrSunshine posted:

Moé blush everywhere -- all the time!

Hey, they need to put emphasis on the cute! That way, when the wave of dumb arrives, we can all laugh like retards at the nice balance.

Most of the fanservice is provided by one lone character. A cute character. And dumb. Because it bears repeating: They're all loveable idiots. :allears:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Wark Say posted:

Hey, they need to put emphasis on the cute! That way, when the wave of dumb arrives, we can all laugh like retards at the nice balance.

Most of the fanservice is provided by one lone character. A cute character. And dumb. Because it bears repeating: They're all loveable idiots. :allears:

Except that one. You know which one.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sadly, at only one season's worth of episodes, we'll get some fun stuff, but since the manga only gets better and better as it goes on, the anime won't reach those particularly great ones, unless they cut and replace some stuff.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Soylentbits posted:

Except that one. You know which one.

Yeah, he's the worst.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The manga is brilliant. I have doubts about the anime but hope I'm proven wrong.

Let's hope lewd scenes like this make it through without beams of white light censoring them!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Captain Invictus posted:

There's fanservice, but primarily from the character whose entire MO is self-aware fanservice, and is generally played for laughs.

This is the character's ideas of sexy poses, for example. The thread title is not a joke

Oh, I know exactly why I have this boner! :flashfap:

On a more serious note, am i the only one who doesn't really mind the new animation style? From what i can see, they seem to be trying to strike a balance between the tastes of the common anime audience and the newer Jitsu Wa style.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Invictus posted:

Every time I see this stupid picture I want to reread the series again.

Really want to see how they animate it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Allarion posted:

Man, rewatching that, it's really misleading how innocent Shimada seems.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allarion posted:

Why did they leave the best character out of the PV?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

Let's hope lewd scenes ... beams of white light censoring them!

Anime of the decade if it's that self aware and industry aware.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mikan is really unbearable throught the first couple chapters.

Anyway, this is my kind of story:

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 6, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I forgot that the series doesn't immediately start as the ridiculous farce it actually is.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
So far the anime looks good. It IS hard being the anime of a manga as ungodly awesome as Jitsu wa Watashi wa (what with high expectations and shoes to fill and whatnot) but it certainly looks as though they are going to give a true effort. If anything else some of my fears surrounding the initial images they released of the anime have been alleviated. Though now that the anime has started I must ask... HOW LONG UNTIL WE GET TO MY FAVORITE CHARACTER??? The Candy Addicted Super Demon Principal!

cyrus_zane fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 6, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That OP is a really special kind of terrible

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rodyle posted:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Goddamnit it's so weird to see everybody in color.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I don't know about this.

Maybe once they get out of the boring early game.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Must, continue watching. Mustn't let anons' negativity get to me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
more like Goddamn it's so weird to see characters lacking 99% of the charm and uniqueness the manga art had them blessed with :smith:

e: That was hard to watch. It's like they got the idea of the original designs but threw 99% of it out the window with Shiragami

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 6, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
To be fair, the manga's art looked different early on and was less cartoon-y so it may change over the anime's life cycle like it did with the manga's.

Edit: Nevermind, it is already hyperlinked.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Sakura's voice is really good and also not what I expected at all somehow

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rodyle posted:

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, the song is fine, whatever, but the entire opening is so static and low-budget

Episode itself was fine but dragged things out a bit much. Hopefully it picks up speed, I think it's a show that could go through 3 chapters of the manga in a single episode pretty smoothly.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I liked the first episode, and everyone sounded fine to me.

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy poo poo you're not kidding, the song is fine, whatever, but the entire opening is so static and low-budget

Episode itself was fine but dragged things out a bit much. Hopefully it picks up speed, I think it's a show that could go through 3 chapters of the manga in a single episode pretty smoothly.

It looks like they're shuffling things around a bit to speed through the character introductions since they ended on Aizawa in the first episode. They also had the flashback to the rejection too.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I do not think I will ever comprehend pacing decisions by Anime adaptions as they never seem to make the slightest sense ever.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

As someone who hasn't read the manga, that was a really cute and funny first episode. I'd say it's one of the better ones of the season so far.

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014

Admoon posted:

As someone who hasn't read the manga, that was a really cute and funny first episode. I'd say it's one of the better ones of the season so far.

Agreed, I'm glad I have something to watch now that Jojo's is over. After it ended I was worried I wouldn't have any need of crunchyroll anymore, yesterday I started watching Gintama for the first time and it's pretty awesome but it's nice to have a brand new show that forces you to wait a week for each new episode. Now my friend if you liked this episode even the tiniest bit then I implore you, go read the manga. If you like comedy in your stuff you cannot go wrong with it. This isn't one of those "oh I read the manga first and anyone who hasn't isn't a real fan" type suggestion, this is a "the manga is honestly amazing and you shouldn't miss out on it" type suggestion. If you liked the episode you will love the manga.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Pacing was a little slow, but really what was with that music? Great choices for the voices, though. And I hope they keep the 90's-esque quiz bits each episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I dunno, I was smiling like an idiot all throughout! It's great to see a manga I like animated!

• Locked thread