Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
You know, they did this scene pretty well.

It's not exactly this, but hey.

I still like it enough to keep watching. I just ... sincerely hope the style shifts over time as it did in the manga. I highly doubt it, because that would take a lot of time and money to do. It's better to just pick one style and stick to it - it seems they tried to compromise, but did a bad job at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I wasn't too disappointed with it, though the designs definitely lost something in adaptation. That wasn't unexpected, but it's still vaguely disappointing. The OP wasn't great but it felt truncated, so they may have been holding back on the 'real' OP until all the basic premise secrets have been revealed.

Didn't mind the pacing, though. I'm somewhat interested to see how they splice the content together in order to get a coherent arc by the end.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Yeah, I liked that bit of animation a lot actually. The individual frames don't hold a candle to the manga pages so far, but if they can pull off funny poo poo with the actual movement it'll be worth it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly everything looks about the same to me

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also sometimes shows have to go to air before the op is actually finished, so they use placeholder stuff. the blazblue anime had the same problem, they wound up just using clips from the first and second episodes until the proper op was done.

placeholder op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dJx7QxlTy0

actual op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hFpWJGwoMM

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It's not exactly this, but hey.

I still like it enough to keep watching. I just ... sincerely hope the style shifts over time as it did in the manga. I highly doubt it, because that would take a lot of time and money to do. It's better to just pick one style and stick to it - it seems they tried to compromise, but did a bad job at it.

It looks bland actually. It's missing the vibe all the time. Here it's lacking her little :drac: and the character that shines through it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mindblast posted:

It looks bland actually. It's missing the vibe all the time. Here it's lacking her little :drac: and the character that shines through it.

I thought her flailing her feet around trying to get off the desk without taking her eyes off Kuromine followed shortly after by her thinking very hard to understand why Kuromine might be depressed about spoiling her secret did a pretty good job of illustrating her character, actually.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I felt like the second episode went much better than the first.:)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, some of the comedic timing was off, and it has its rather ugly moments as far as the art goes, but it was a step up. I got used to Aizawa's voice fairly quickly, though Shiragami still doesn't sound right to me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shiragami is starting to become the dork we all love, so that's good. I like the quiz at the end too. Opening and credits songs are still kinda poor, though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I feel like it's rather consistently missed the rather manic tone of the original, though, and if they want to capture that as time goes on it'll be a kind of jarring change. This episode was better but I still don't think it was very good

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
I feel the second episode moved in the right direction, but doesn't quite hit the level it should. How should I put it? It feels like they aren't playing it over the top enough, it still feels a bit generic to me. However the 2nd episode was much better than the 1st so there's still hope it'll be entertaining. Also while they aren't at the manga's level yet this episode had much better faces, I liked this one in particular.

cyrus_zane fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 14, 2015

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked the second episode quite a bit better than the first, little touches like that airplane noise when he ran away and his friends reactions were nice additions.

Kind of makes me want to read the manga now too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Themage posted:

I liked the second episode quite a bit better than the first, little touches like that airplane noise when he ran away and his friends reactions were nice additions.

Kind of makes me want to read the manga now too.

Wait you haven't read it but you're here? Stop whatever you're doing and read the manga. It's a little rough at first (still better than the anime), but once it hits its stride, it never stops being amazing.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
In fact, it just becomes gradually even more amazing.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Wait you haven't read it but you're here? Stop whatever you're doing and read the manga. It's a little rough at first (still better than the anime), but once it hits its stride, it never stops being amazing.

In my experience this sort of thing ruins the experience of the anime/movie. I know when I read The Bourne Identity and then saw the movie I was immensely disappointed. After a few years as the memory of the book faded I was able to enjoy the movie. If I were to redo this, I would watch the movie and then read the book- which is now my general policy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The second episode was way better than the first(especially in sneaking in the ridiculous facial expressions that make the manga hilarious; check out when Shiragami ate the creme puff), so that gives me some confidence.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This series is good and fun.

The nit picking over how this isn't the manga is intriguing and original forum content, please keep it up.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Not a huge fan of most of the voices, but eh whatever.

Also I just realized niconico airs anime (albeit with a delay), so now I'm watching this with the scrolling comments and it's great because they point out all the jokes I miss.

Japan apparently doesn't much like the OP either.

Shimono: Karaage

edit: the constant School live jokes get grating though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

z0glin Warchief posted:

Shimono: Karaage

Is he still doing commercials for that?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I have no idea, but I definitely laughed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So yeah, as expected, they definitely rearranged some more stuff since the manga introduced Mikan before Aizawa, but I didn't expect them to introduce the glasses so soon. Now all bets are off.

For those who've only checked the anime, that doesn't happen until chapter 24. Everything up to this point has been chapters 1-7, though mixed around a bit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I honestly had no idea that the glasses were supposed to be female.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"Heathen" seems like a really strange word to use there. I have no idea what it's supposed to mean like that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nielsm posted:

"Heathen" seems like a really strange word to use there. I have no idea what it's supposed to mean like that.
I've seen "gedou" translated as "heretical." "Witch Queen" might have been clearer.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

They didn't even use this face!! This is like the first of many to come and they didn't use it!!

They're playing up the romance side too hard in this adaptation and the comedy suffers for it, I don't think I can keep watching. Truly A Shame.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

StandardVC10 posted:

I honestly had no idea that the glasses were supposed to be female.

Wait, what? For real?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

They didn't even use this face!! This is like the first of many to come and they didn't use it!!

They're playing up the romance side too hard in this adaptation and the comedy suffers for it, I don't think I can keep watching. Truly A Shame.

Too much Rom, not enough Com.

Lots of cute, not enough dumb.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 21, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

nielsm posted:

The (admittedly poor) early translation of the manga just used "evil".

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kyte posted:

Wait, what? For real?

IDK that's just how it sounded this episode. :shrug:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I've seen "gedou" translated as "heretical." "Witch Queen" might have been clearer.

Here, it basically means twisted/depraved. Gedou can also mean "heretical" and such, but mostly as a Buddhist term (though obviously in a work where religion plays heavily they might use it that way outside of a Buddhist context), your everyday usage of it doesn't really conjure that image.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Shimada is the worst. You-know-who is the best. Funny faces were back in full force!

A good episode.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Wow they're really changing up the order of events. I guess so they can hit the romance beats faster.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 28, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The birth of Eromine-kun :allears:

Getting a remixed order of events is neat. Means every episode is a surprise now and you can get future stuff from the manga earlier. I'm hoping eyes-cream happens soon.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

On one hand, I doubt this anime passed the 3 episode test. On the other hand, it's picking up the pace and getting good.

Shimada is the best worst. :allears:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

On one hand, I doubt this anime passed the 3 episode test. On the other hand, it's picking up the pace and getting good.

Shimada is the best worst. :allears:

It didn't pass the 3 episode test for me. I was going to drop it - but I've heard good things about today's episode, so maybe I'll keep it up?

Edit: yes, Shimada is THE WORST.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well now, this is nice! Good to see that the anime is trying to be its own thing while keeping the manga's story bits. Looking forward to next week's episode!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Yay!

No!

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Tarezax posted:

Wow they're really changing up the order of events. I guess so they can hit the romance beats faster.

Yeah this really confused me. Seeing as I just read the chapter (60 something) where this actually happened. Weird.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I guess the anime recognized that the later parts of the manga were received better than the earlier parts and is trying to get to those stories faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I like dumb hijinks so I'll stick with it unless it gets gross.

• Locked thread