Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Origins is the sixth installment in the popular casual entry-level industry buzzword series Duels of the Planeswalkers. Because Magic 2015 was so bad Because Hearthstone is so successful Because WOTC are forward-thinking and listening to the players' complaints, this is a re-skin complete reboot of the series, featuring:

-- Free to play model. 100% free to play. All cards are unlocked with gold that you can earn from quests and matches, or bought with real money

- As you can see above, Planeswalkers are in! At release, this will be limited to the five Planeswalkers revealed for the Origins paper set, one for each color; Chandra, Jace, Liliana, Gideon, Nissa. Sorry, Garruk. :(

- As with 2015, you will not get more copies of a card than you can actually use. This means 4 of each Common, 3 Uncommon, 2 Rare, 1 Mythic. This is pretty nice news!

- List of confirmed cards can be found here: http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=10211

- New cards will be added every 3 months, just like "real" Magic. Something About Zendikar is alleged to be the first of these expansions.

- Release date? Surely you jest! A pulled article said July 8th for iOS/Steam, and that is still entirely possible. Another source claimed July 15th. It is definitely, certainly, probably gonna be out in July, at any rate! The PS4 and Bone versions have been delayed somewhat indefinitely.

- More info to come. Probably.

precision fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
This looks like a pretty awesome way for someone who was interested in Magic but had no real good way to get started playing to try it out. Hopefully it doesn't suck!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A reporter got a Steam key and will be streaming the game at 5 PM today:

http://www.twitch.tv/PCGamesN

I'd say this means the game should be out either this week or next, barring any weirdness.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

how are the odds of this being better than the last 2 lovely entries

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Davincie posted:

how are the odds of this being better than the last 2 lovely entries

With the revealed card pool so far? Honestly, pretty good, especially since there's no upfront cost for the client and they've committed to doing sizable expansions every 3 months.

:siren: Also that dude is streaming the game right now! :siren:

e: and lots of info in this article by the dude:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/magic-duels/how-magic-duels-origins-is-adapting-to-the-evolution-of-the-digital-ccg

Daily quests, weekly community challenges, lots of ways to earn gold. Battle For Zendikar is the next expansion. Old expansions "could" be added. There will be cosmetic poo poo to spend gold on. Etc.

precision fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 6, 2015

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm going to be playing the everloving crap out of this. As a person who has casually played for ~20 years, I've been waiting for something like this for a long time, ever since i heard they were making mtgo. Since I a: hate paying for cards and b: find the mtg community terrible. Duels 2012 and 2013 were great and this looks like it will be like 2015 except with real cards and a not complete garbage UI. Will be nice to finally play again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here is an imgur gallery showing every card that will be usable by players at release:

http://imgur.com/a/5qHVR

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Finally! Something I can be happy about!

:(

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Heh, it looks like Hearthstone made the Magic dudes change up their gameplan.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That same guy is going to be streaming the game again today, same time. Apparently several other reporters have been given Steam keys. And there's still no confirmed release date.

They did finally say that the PS4 version is coming out in August, though, so not a long delay there.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

precision posted:

Here is an imgur gallery showing every card that will be usable by players at release:

http://imgur.com/a/5qHVR

Nice. So ~250 cards to unlock (around 700 total counting dupes... around 110 packs total to unlock everything?), and we get some amount of cards baseline since that streamer was playing with a lot of blank creatures that aren't in the imgur gallery. Plus it starts you off with 3 boosters and enough gold for ~6 packs just for beating the campaign.

The frito model seems REALLY generous. Packs are 150 gold, 6 cards, no duplicate cards, and you can earn 10 gold vs ai and players, 15 vs hard AI... I think.

I am intensely hype for this. PS Thank you OP, was considering making a thread for this but I was too lazy since WotC was being super stingy about information.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

hahaha 30 deck slots, eat your heart out hearthstone

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

:siren: Also that dude is streaming the game right now! :siren:

e: and lots of info in this article by the dude:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/magic-duels/how-magic-duels-origins-is-adapting-to-the-evolution-of-the-digital-ccg

Daily quests, weekly community challenges, lots of ways to earn gold. Battle For Zendikar is the next expansion. Old expansions "could" be added. There will be cosmetic poo poo to spend gold on. Etc.

Stream is live again. http://www.twitch.tv/PCGamesN

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
At least it doesn't look like this one will continue the MTG: Duels tradition of trimming content and gamemodes with every iteration.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not a massive 2HG fan but them putting it back in is a good sign, because players were super mad about that. In my opinion they left it out of 2015 because they didn't want the additional headache of balancing the card pool for 2HG shenanigans. Thing is, nobody has ever cared about 2HG being balanced, people just like to find one way to break the game and then complain about people who do it in a different way (though, kinda LOL @ the fuckup with Serra Ascendant being in 2014 and needing a patch to shut people up)

e: and the reward for beating someone online is 25 gold, a whopping 10 more gold than beating the AI on hard :catstare:

If you've played previous versions, you know that Duels is full of players who will lose to any Magic player who knows the difference between "Instant" and "Sorcery". Seriously.

precision fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 8, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Game's out on iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/magic-duels/id881106329?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

which means the embargo article was probably true and no Steam version for another week. :rip:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Thanks, was just about to post that!

I love how WOTC don't bother with release dates and just dump the game. A Steam release today is still possible since we know the Steam version is fully playable, but IIRC iOS got it a week early last year too so...

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah, I checked yesterday and it's not even on Steam's upcoming releases list. That's about what people who've been following Duels since the start would expect.

precision posted:

If you've played previous versions, you know that Duels is full of players who will lose to any Magic player who knows the difference between "Instant" and "Sorcery". Seriously.

Maybe I'm just awful at the game -- I never really delved deep into strategy and haven't played the paper game in half a decade -- but on PC the average level of play wasn't so bad. Outside 2HG, that is; 2HG was always either two people who know each other pulling some cheesy strategy or two people who have no idea how to play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Heavy neutrino posted:

Maybe I'm just awful at the game -- I never really delved deep into strategy and haven't played the paper game in half a decade -- but on PC the average level of play wasn't so bad. Outside 2HG, that is; 2HG was always either two people who know each other pulling some cheesy strategy or two people who have no idea how to play.

Well, there are also a lot of variable to take into account that have nothing to do with the game of Magic.

For example:

- People who host games tend to be better than people who join hosted games.

- People may avoid joining your game because of your screen name. If you win a lot, you have to change your screen name a lot, because people avoid memorable screen names they have lost to (especially if they lost badly). Also, people make assumptions about what kind of player you are based on your screen name. If someone is looking for an easy win, and has to choose between "JACE_OWNS_420" and "Goblin King", or between "CALLOFDUTYROX" and "Spatial Distortion". For this reason, I change my name every session, and always use something that makes no sense at all, like "free stairs" or "soda pop"

I dunno, I played Duels on PS3 until 2014, and it seems like the average Steam player was way worse than the average PS3 player - which seems backwards, but there it is.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
For those who have played the Steam and console versions, can you have a shared profile or will you need to redo everything on each system?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ETB posted:

For those who have played the Steam and console versions, can you have a shared profile or will you need to redo everything on each system?

The latter. No account synch period. Given that, I don't know why anyone will get it on PS4 or XB1 unless they just don't realize their PC can play games.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

precision posted:

The latter. No account synch period. Given that, I don't know why anyone will get it on PS4 or XB1 unless they just don't realize their PC can play games.

I have a friend who wants to use his PS4 more, so I guess this is one way... ???

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

No account sharing, but also no crossplay, right? Friend was playing it on iPad and I let him know we might not be able to play since most people will be on PC.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The game is pretty nice so far aside from the dumb account stuff :wow:. Totally not as lovely as the last few dotpw

If they want to compete with hearthstone it's going to need a bit more though. I personally hope they steal hearthstones arena model and let you draft for 200 and just give you a pack and gold depending on how well you did afterwards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ETB posted:

I have a friend who wants to use his PS4 more, so I guess this is one way... ???

Well the PS4 version comes out a month later and gently caress grinding for cards twice t:mad:t

e: I would rather play it on PS4 too, really, since the Steam version will probably be hackable

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
How do I download this game OP.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

How do I download this game OP.

Download it on your iOS device. Otherwise wait for the PC/XBONE release later this month or PS4 later than that.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I like that WOTC is more concerned with making a competitor to Hearthstone with Duels rather than fix the broken rear end mess that is MTGO.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I like that WOTC is more concerned with making a competitor to Hearthstone with Duels rather than fix the broken rear end mess that is MTGO.

They're probably just scrambling for a solution after Hearthstone came out of the loving blue and poached most of their user base. I think it's hilarious that they sat on the entire market for loving years and milked it for everything it had and it's not surprising at all that Hearthstone's business model succeeded.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just a heads up: the game is NOT compatible with the iOS 9 beta just in case anyone is messing around with that. Black screen every time.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Magic is fun but ludicrously, stupidly expensive to get into, and trying to stay up-to-date on the sets (especially since it seems like there's a new one every 3 months or something) is an insane wallet buster. Magic Online is somehow even worse, but Duels is a good middle ground when they aren't dumbing it down to pointlessness or stripping all the features out. Here's hoping this turns out alright.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Magic is fun but ludicrously, stupidly expensive to get into, and trying to stay up-to-date on the sets (especially since it seems like there's a new one every 3 months or something) is an insane wallet buster. Magic Online is somehow even worse, but Duels is a good middle ground when they aren't dumbing it down to pointlessness or stripping all the features out. Here's hoping this turns out alright.

This'll (kindof) have the same problem a year or two down the line, but as long as gold is easily farmable in abundance it won't ever be as bad as Hearthstone. Earning cards at like, quadruple the rate of Hearthstone, and against the AI to boot, makes it a lot easier to enter than Hearthstone is, currently.

I definitely wanna get in right away, if only to future proof myself if this really takes off.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000
Oh hey there is a thread for this. So yeah, been playing this a bit and it's pretty much as horrible as I assumed. I do like Magic more than Hearthstone as a card game, but I'm not really sure I can forgive their UI anymore. I'm playing on a 2nd generation iPad mini and it crashes all the time, including my first ever complete iOS crash that required a reboot. I've also had a full hang-up during the Chandra campaign where the 3 mana 2/2 artifact destroyer guy stopped accepting targets but required one to continue, and also a Flames of the Firebrand where the first damage target I choose simply didn't count. And no this isn't a case of me missing anything, there was nothing with an ability on the board and the 3 tendrils coming from the spell were pretty obvious. Also the UI for building a deck is painful as hell. I really wish Wizards would step up their game because I would really love another Magic 2013.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Meep posted:

Oh hey there is a thread for this. So yeah, been playing this a bit and it's pretty much as horrible as I assumed. I do like Magic more than Hearthstone as a card game, but I'm not really sure I can forgive their UI anymore. I'm playing on a 2nd generation iPad mini and it crashes all the time, including my first ever complete iOS crash that required a reboot. I've also had a full hang-up during the Chandra campaign where the 3 mana 2/2 artifact destroyer guy stopped accepting targets but required one to continue, and also a Flames of the Firebrand where the first damage target I choose simply didn't count. And no this isn't a case of me missing anything, there was nothing with an ability on the board and the 3 tendrils coming from the spell were pretty obvious. Also the UI for building a deck is painful as hell. I really wish Wizards would step up their game because I would really love another Magic 2013.

Yeah the deckbuilding stuff could use some work. If you use the wizard to make a deck you can't every manually modify it. I made an elf deck I liked but I noticed it's bloated by 13 cards I don't really need but I can't just take those cards out because the wizard won't let me go forwards until I put enough cards in the deck.

I deleted the deck and manual mode didn't really help because you can only search by mana and card type so I couldn't say, just search for all my elf cards to see what I have to work with.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Been toying around with the iphone version.

I honestly don't understand how a company as profitable as WotC manages to gently caress up digitization so thoroughly in the year of our lord 2015. I admire the consistency, I guess.

-Huge amount of bugs and network issues. Games regularly desync if players try to do actions at the same time or if the client just feels like it. I have around a 50% completion rate for multiplayer games.

-Worst battery drain of any game I have ever played. Choppy performance despite minimal graphics. Not optimized for iphone 6.

-Bad UI. Primitive in general, as well as lousy layout design. Zoom is clunky, targeting is practically random as cards will frequently layer on top of each other with no way to have them move, swiping only registers if it's very slow, etc.

-Matchmaking is not cross-platform, splintering what is already a tiny community into 5 different groups. I foresee multiplayer to be a wasteland in short order.

-As of writing, it is impossible to earn any gold for any action due to a bug of some sort that has stopped payouts for matches. I kid you not.

-Bad balance choices. Unlocking everything is extremely slow (~700 multiplayer games), so everyone has to run with the base cards, which means most decks are variations of r/u artifact fliers.

-Long tutorial with no way to skip.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 11, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ There was no cross-platform play in any previous Duels, and even the worst entry (2015) still has around 500 people in-game on Steam at any given time of the day or night, unless you meant that the multiplayer on iOS specifically will become a wasteland, which is probably true

Yeah, the iOS release is severely bugged in many ways, according to multiple sources. The Steam version appears to be working just fine, though.

Wizards' official explanation for why the iOS version is so slow and doesn't work on older iMachines - and I am not making this up - is "because we expect this product to be around for several years".

Yup. Yup.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hey, this can't be any worse than Hearthstone, can it? How are they so bad at iOS ports? This is the only game I've tried to download that doesn't work on my iPad!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Check out my stream for 360 no scope Force of Wills erry day.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

precision posted:

edit: ^^^^ There was no cross-platform play in any previous Duels, and even the worst entry (2015) still has around 500 people in-game on Steam at any given time of the day or night, unless you meant that the multiplayer on iOS specifically will become a wasteland, which is probably true

Yeah, the iOS release is severely bugged in many ways, according to multiple sources. The Steam version appears to be working just fine, though.

Wizards' official explanation for why the iOS version is so slow and doesn't work on older iMachines - and I am not making this up - is "because we expect this product to be around for several years".

Yup. Yup.
Good to hear the steam version is out, I'll have to try it. Though I really wish they would make the versions cross platform compatible because holy gently caress I don't want to do the single player campaign again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Meep posted:

Good to hear the steam version is out, I'll have to try it. Though I really wish they would make the versions cross platform compatible because holy gently caress I don't want to do the single player campaign again.

It's not out. Because reasons.

• Locked thread