Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Swagger Dagger posted:

Did these leaked Commentator-In-Traning notes get posted? They're kinda interesting: http://imgur.com/a/NW1WG
Those notes seem pretty outdated like circa 2008 when the "PG era" was in full effect/starting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/wwenoble/status/618608721615298560

And people think Austin should unretire and fight Brock :lol:

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/wwenoble/status/618608721615298560

And people think Austin should unretire and fight Brock :lol:

Jesus. I know Mercury got tossed on the car's windscreen/bonnet but what happened to Noble?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

croutonZA posted:

Jesus. I know Mercury got tossed on the car's windscreen/bonnet but what happened to Noble?

He probably landed on and/or skidded across some of the glass.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Brock is going to kill everyone.

Even you, reading this.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Atticus Finch posted:

Even you, reading this.

Seven dayyyss...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

achillesforever6 posted:

Those notes seem pretty outdated like circa 2008 when the "PG era" was in full effect/starting

Worth noting is a huge amount of this is pretty much in line with basic rules of TV interviews, at least the stuff that isn't related to wrestling or McMahon Madness. It's mostly the kind of stuff that will have an interviewer tell an interviewee on, say, a reality TV show to shut up and try again, this time getting it right. In fact, having worked with a lot of interview footage I'd almost say it's all a bit too basic, like they're just copy/pasting from a "How to interview" .txt file.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Did Big Dave say who the Fake Bray is

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

KungFu Grip posted:

I wish they had revealed who it was, like it was some random hypnotized jobber to help pump up Bray's mystique.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Pinwiz11 posted:

I wish they had revealed who it was, like it was some random hypnotized jobber to help pump up Bray's mystique.

Heath Slater in a fat suit, what the hell?

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Atticus Finch posted:

Even you, reading this.

So one day I'm going to answer the door, Heyman's gonna be there flipping through a clipboard, finds my name, gestures to Brock who proceeds to shove me into my oven?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The best note in there is "play by play announcers cannot be emasculated by their broadcast partners. If play by play loses its credibility why should the audience trust them"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My favorite was this

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Swagger Dagger posted:

Did these leaked Commentator-In-Traning notes get posted? They're kinda interesting: http://imgur.com/a/NW1WG

It's kind of Orwellian isn't it? There are things in there that make perfect sense, but there are also points that make no sense or are totally arbitrary, and points that directly contradict other points. And that's not even considering how much (or little) the actual commentary team follows some of these directives.

WWE must be a strange universe to work in.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Swagger Dagger posted:

There's so many of these and they're all so focused on having the commentary come off the exact right way. There's rules dictating all that stuff then there's other ones saying "be yourself". I'd have no idea what the hell they wanted if I read these.

All they really should do for commentary is find a guy who's good at it who connects with the audience and only correct really really bad things. It would be that simple. But I have no idea exactly what they are trying to achieve.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Some of those seem directly contradictory. Like "if you don't like the product why should the fans" vs. "no one cares what you think" and "be yourself" vs. "here's pages of notes on how to behave".

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Brock's on a bent to legit murder Noble. Three cracked ribs and now whatever that was that required stitches.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Some of those seem directly contradictory.

One page up under forbidden words:

:v:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The one I never understand is the demand that commentary and wrestlers never refer to the championship as a "belt". The logic is always presented is "We have titles, not belts. The belt is just an object that represents the title."

Uh... That's true, but why does that prevent you from referring to the title as a belt? Championship rings in NBA/NFL are just objects that represent the championship, but you'll still hear media and the athlete themselves refer to "going after a ring"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The mentality that belts hold up your pants and nobody can think of the word belt as anything but something that does that

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I like how you're not allowed to say wrestlemania is the grand daddy of them all, because Vince thinks it makes Wrestlemania feel old. Isn't the whole point of Mania supposed to be that it is one of the main traditions of wwe?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Chris James 2 posted:

The mentality that belts hold up your pants and nobody can think of the word belt as anything but something that does that

This is the real evidence that Vince McMahon is a crazy person. Who thinks this way? And given his fetish for boxing and how many times he's made his own employees and his entire business look like goofs next to boxers, another sport with Championship Belts that never shirks from referring to them as such, it's even more bizarre that he's so anal about this one term.

It's like how you always hear about how eager, even desperate, Vince is to create a star that can break out of the wrestling bubble and be a mainstream sensation again like The Rock, and yet has actively forbidden guys certain guys like Punk who had ideas on how to do that from trying things to get there. Presumably because he can't accept anyone gaining even the smallest amount of popularity outside his system, his ideas and his guidelines. Unless they're INDEPENDENTLY famous and then he'll burn the world to put them over at the expense of the guys who are trying to work within his system.

It's crazy.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Brock hates these cans! Stay away from the cans!

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The_Rob posted:

I like how you're not allowed to say wrestlemania is the grand daddy of them all, because Vince thinks it makes Wrestlemania feel old. Isn't the whole point of Mania supposed to be that it is one of the main traditions of wwe?

Last year they didn't mention once that it was the 31st wrestlemania, nor was it part of the logo. If filing off the number is good enough for Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), it's good enough for Wrestlemania (2015)

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 8, 2015

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Haven't the announcers referred to Kane choke slamming people recently, or am I imagining that? I don't know what else you'd call it (KANE WITH THE SUBMISSION SLAM)

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

rovert posted:

There's rumours about a lot of other people. Besides those two Makoto is "90%" confirmed as being at that tryout too. William Regal, Funaki and in part Nikki Storm oversaw the tryout.

Makoto and Shida should give an insight into the "type" they are looking for. They've been wanting a Joshi for a while. I've heard zero about any males trying out.

Makoto looks a little too "weird" in the face for me to ever see her getting a real shot in the WWE.

Shida's probably a lock though as she has probably everything WWE could ever want out of a female wrestler.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

He was fat with a receding hairline and tattoos on each bicep, so I don't think it was anyone in NXT that we'd know. They had him crawl away pressed against the barricade until he got behind the stage and I don't think they wanted anyone to know who it was.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Sanguinia posted:

This is the real evidence that Vince McMahon is a crazy person. Who thinks this way? And given his fetish for boxing and how many times he's made his own employees and his entire business look like goofs next to boxers, another sport with Championship Belts that never shirks from referring to them as such, it's even more bizarre that he's so anal about this one term.

It's like how you always hear about how eager, even desperate, Vince is to create a star that can break out of the wrestling bubble and be a mainstream sensation again like The Rock, and yet has actively forbidden guys certain guys like Punk who had ideas on how to do that from trying things to get there. Presumably because he can't accept anyone gaining even the smallest amount of popularity outside his system, his ideas and his guidelines. Unless they're INDEPENDENTLY famous and then he'll burn the world to put them over at the expense of the guys who are trying to work within his system.

It's crazy.

I think the whole belt thing is probably Dunn's issues with being in wrestling creeping in. Vince strikes me as someone who'd want WWE to look and feel like a legitimate sport while Dunn seems like someone who wishes he were in scripted scene-by-scene TV and tries to make WWE into what he thinks that is.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Shima Honnou posted:

I think the whole belt thing is probably Dunn's issues with being in wrestling creeping in. Vince strikes me as someone who'd want WWE to look and feel like a legitimate sport while Dunn seems like someone who wishes he were in scripted scene-by-scene TV and tries to make WWE into what he thinks that is.

I would love to know what Kevin Dunn thinks of Lucha Underground.

I would also sell my soul if they actually won that Emmy they're on the ballot for just to stick it to that guy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Who is Kasama??

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
A lot of those notes are actually pretty good advice but something like that should really be half a page max. Imagine trying to remember all that poo poo while you're commentating.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I hope we get Bray vs Sting at WM32 and we get 6 months of Fake Stings and Fake Wyatts in the buildup

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Seams posted:

A lot of those notes are actually pretty good advice but something like that should really be half a page max. Imagine trying to remember all that poo poo while you're commentating.

DON'T SOUND SCRIPTED

*several pages of specific things we want/don't want you to say*

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Geez those notes are an exhausting read. They should just hand commentators a single page that says "Go watch old tapes of JR/Monsoon/Heenan. Do that."

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

actually don't watch Monsoon tapes

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

oatgan posted:

actually don't watch Monsoon tapes

Pearl Harbor Job.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

oatgan posted:

The best note in there is "play by play announcers cannot be emasculated by their broadcast partners. If play by play loses its credibility why should the audience trust them"

:laffo:

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I saw CM Punk at the waffle house this morning, he treated the waitress so nasty it was embarassing

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He was fat with a receding hairline and tattoos on each bicep, so I don't think it was anyone in NXT that we'd know.

Baron Corbin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

"Fully understand the history and heritage of the business as it gives what we are doing today more credibility"

lmao

• Locked thread