Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
A Blatantly Stolen OP. Fantasy Draft ROUND TWO THREE

30 goons, first come first serve. You pick your team and act as its drafting GM.

This is a fantasy draft in which we are drafting hockeymans teams from all current players who are the property of an NHL team. Each GM can draft any kind of team they'd like: from a cap team that wants to win it all this year, to a cellar dweller that's building through the draft.

Prospects playing in leagues other than the NHL ARE ELIGIBLE if they are the property of an NHL team.

The draft order will be snaking and randomly chosen, and as players are picked, the picks will be stored in a google spreadsheet. This requires research behind each pick, really. I mean it's a lot harder than it seems, especially when you reach the later rounds. You can pick ANYBODY (within the rules). It's demanding, but it's also a ton of fun. Keep this in mind - this is all just supposed to be good fun.

What makes this fun? With each pick, you will explain your pick. Why did you choose this player and what kind of team are you trying to build? And after each pick, we're all free to rag on you for picking Matt Stajan to be your second-line center, or for deciding that no goalie should make more than a million bucks and signing Chad Johnson to be your starter.

RULES

1. Again, only players that are "property" of an NHL team are allowed to be drafted. They can be playing in any league in the world, as long as a team owns their rights. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk that they go to the KHL or retire. Be warned. Prospects who have not signed ELCs will be counted as a max contract against the cap.

2. We are drafting based on the 2015/2016 NHL salary cap of $71.4 million. Both minimum and maximum salary cap rules apply. A player's contract including both salary and term is based on their 2015/2016 contract. If you draft a player who has not re-signed, you take the risk of them signing for far more than you expected.

3. You've got 2 hours to make your pick BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10AM EST and 10PM EST*. If you miss it, the next person is up. You can then come back and make your pick at your earliest convenience. There will only be autopicking if you're wayyyy behind. If you think (or know) you'll miss your 2 hours you can always send your list, usually a pick with 2 or 3 alternates, to someone to pick for you

*it carries over. If the last pick is at 9pm EST, the next pick is due at 11am EST.

4. You must, to some degree, explain your pick to keep everyone involved and encourage discussion.

5. We are picking 23 players plus 1 head coach. Abide by general roster rules, you'll need two goalies, twelve forwards, and six defensemen, at the least. There are no restrictions on what types of players you may pick.

6. Don't make white noise posts who you're going to pick later on, or who other people are going to pick, or who hasn't been picked (or if you do, do a 'I can't believe Manny Murderer is still available' post), but don't worry about naming guys who haven't been picked in the context of a discussion about guys who have been. (Don't be a dick, don't name undrafted guys just to name them. If we find that this rule doesn't work we go back to the DON'T TALK ABOUT GUYS rule.)

7. BE COMMITTED. PLEASE. If you don't think you're going to be able to do this thing (it's long-winded and daunting), be a bystander. Please.

8. Any other rules or ideas you guys have before we start, bring them up here. But now is the time to sign up!

TEAMS

EAST

Toronto Maple Leaves -- Paulocaust
Ottawa Senators -- Jordan7hm
Montreal Canadiens -- stab
Buffalo Sabres -- Tremendous Taste
Boston Bruins -- Stickarts
Florida Panthers -- Starsfan
Tampa Bay Lightning -- Ginette Reno
Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
Washington Capitals -- Habibi
New Jersey Devils -- Brodeurs Nanny
Pittsburgh Penguins -- Good Soldier Svejk
Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
New York Islanders -- Menamino
New York Rangers --
Columbus Blue Jackets -- ThinkTank
Detroit Red Wings, bitch -- VJeff

WEST

Winnipeg Jets -- Boomer The Cannon
Nashville Predators -- Technetium
Chicago Blackhawks -- Furnaceface
Saskatoon "St. Louis" Blues -- Infidel Castro
Calgary Flames -- El Gallinero Gros
Colorado Avalanche -- T-Bone
Minnesota Wild -- lazerwolf
Vancouver Canucks -- Jim "Vervictus" Benning
Edmonton Oilers -- Aye Doc
Anaheim Ducks -- RC Cola
Dallas Stars -- JoelJoel
Los Angels Kings -- Drunk Canuck
San José Sharks --
Arizona(?) Coyotes -- tofes

Here is last years spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit?usp=sharing

tofes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Draft order:

1. New York Rangers THE MACHO MAN
2. Boston Bruins Stickarts
3. Dallas Stars JoelJoel
4. Ottawa Senators Jordan7hm
5. St. Louis Blues Infidel Castro
6. Vancouver Canucks Vervictus
7. Minnesota Wild lazerwolf
8. Florida Panthers Starsfan
9. Los Angeles Kings Drunk Canuck
10. Nashville Predators Technetium
11. Tampa Bay Lightning Ginette Reno
12. Colorado Avalanche T-Bone
13. Anaheim Ducks RC Cola
14. Washington Capitals Habibi
15. San Jose Sharks
16. Edmonton Oilers Aye Doc
17. Montreal Canadiens stab
18. New York Islanders Menamino
19. Chicago Blackhawks Furnaceface
20. Philadelphia Flyers mentholmoose
21. Toronto Maple Leafs Paulocaust
22. New Jersey Devils Brodeurs Nanny
23. Detroit Red Wings VJeff
24. Pittsburgh Penguins Good Soldier Svejk
25. Arizona Coyotes tofes
26. Calgary Flames El Gallinero Gros
27. Columbus Blue Jackets ThinkTank
28. Winnipeg Jets Boomer The Cannon
29. Carolina Hurricanes eXXon
30. Buffalo Sabres Tremendous Taste

SPREADSHEET: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18GPrsdczGD_5Ltddnu9_1hi08ICYdqW-VYet7m12gdw

tofes fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 29, 2015

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Proposal: I think we should draft < 30 players this year since most people didn't make it that far last year but we should have to include a head coach in our picks

tofes fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 7, 2015

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In as Canada's team, coincidentally the greatest team on earth, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I vote for a standard 23-man roster. I'll also claim the Flyers.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

24 players + coach for a total of 25? Anything more than that and people have to spend a great deal of time digging through rosters for players, which isnt always easy to do during a work week.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tofes posted:

Proposal: I think we should draft < 30 players this year since most people didn't make it that far last year but we should have to include a head coach in our picks

I agree we flamed out last year.

Maybe 20 roster players + 5 farm guys?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mentholmoose posted:

I vote for a standard 23-man roster. I'll also claim the Flyers.

Yeah getting to 23 is hard enough. Also no McDavid? Have guys that have signed ELCs by our start date so I can bring him where he rightfully belongs; the Toronto Maple Leaves

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Picking the Seattle Icehawks Carolina Hurricanes.

I demand the ability to pick 30 players even though I have no desire to put as much effort into this as I did the last two drafts.

... but I will compromise if we get to do a 5-round entry draft.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah players signed to an ELC by the official start date (whenever that may be) are fine with me. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that any drafted player is eligible to be selected (however you don't get to sign them to a magic contract if they don't have one - if you select them they sit in juniors or college until they sign a contract in the real world).

As usual mark me down for COLUMBUS

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ah what the hell, my schedule is really light the next few weeks I should have time for this. I will lay claim to the Chicago Blackhawks.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Back in to ruin the Montreal Canadiens

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Ah what the hell, my schedule is really light the next few weeks I should have time for this. I will lay claim to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Boooo

Alright I'll take Ottawa this time.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sabres

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Let me have a clean slate with the Pens please!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

This looks weird and dumb and fun I'll take the Preds.

e: I saw in the last thread you'd talked about putting teams into EHM, any plans to do that this year?

Also we don't actually do anything with the teams after we draft em other than watch and complain that somehow Vermette isn't putting up 70 points on the Coyotes?

Technetium fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 7, 2015

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

In as the Devils

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Technetium posted:

e: I saw in the last thread you'd talked about putting teams into EHM, any plans to do that this year?

Plans? Yes. Will anyone actually do it? Probably not.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dibs on The Dallas Stars

I was on vacation for a week of the last one I did and I'm on vacation for a week of this one. Wife is going to kill me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Plans? Yes. Will anyone actually do it? Probably not.

I will this time. Consider it a toxx I guess.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

I will this time. Consider it a toxx I guess.

Should be a lot easier if you just have to do a 24 or 30 man roster instead of whatever happened last time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

Should be a lot easier if you just have to do a 24 or 30 man roster instead of whatever happened last time.

Most teams didn't have more than that anyway. The issue was more me not understanding how to make roster changes in ehm.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

We'll do a 23 man roster plus one head coach so 24 rounds. Anyone who has been drafted can be picked but if they don't have an existing ELC deal they'll be assigned a max contract (ie a McDavid Deal). Sound good?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'll return to draft a better faster younger Minnesota Wild

Edit: I am also in favor of a shorter draft plus head coach. We should draft our coaches first

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 7, 2015

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would like to be the Calgary Flames

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ill do the canucks

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can I purposely make them bad? If so the ducks. If not, the Panthers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sure. After all, stab did that last year.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Time to make a team of big grinders. Yeah I'm taking the Ducks.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So do coaches go whenever, last round, or restricted to last x rounds?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

In direct contrast to last year, I have a steady job and no gimmick so I think I have to pass. drat.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stickarts posted:

In direct contrast to last year, I have a steady job and no gimmick so I think I have to pass. drat.

Grab Arizona and only draft Arizona players. Could be a real challenge to get them all!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Jordan7hm posted:

Ahem i did draft the hart trophy winner you know

And my #1 center scored like 30 goals as like a 20 year old

And my #2 center won the cup

Thats p much all i got

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Can I draft a coach that is not in the nhl.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I select Adam Oates, with John Tortellini and Mike Keenan as assistants.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

eXXon posted:

I select Adam Oates, with John Tortellini and Mike Keenan as assistants.

I select Mike Milbury, with John Tortorella and Darryl Sutter as assistants.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

So do coaches go whenever, last round, or restricted to last x rounds?

Whenever I think

Technetium posted:

Can I draft a coach that is not in the nhl.

Sure I guess, as long as they aren't dead

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Can we draft players picked in the draft this year? I mean as long as they signed an elc. And how do we determine pick order? Is it by most handsome?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Can we draft players picked in the draft this year? I mean as long as they signed an elc. And how do we determine pick order? Is it by most handsome?

Yes, players who haven't signed ELCs will be counted as max contracts. Pick order will be randomly determined after we have 30 participants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

tofes posted:

Whenever I think

Sure I guess, as long as they aren't dead

Sweet.

edit: I also think it's garbage I can't pick Tim Connolly for when he makes his glorious NHL return just because he's not "property" of "the man" fyi

• Locked thread