Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The problem with adaptions like this-even JoJo-are that some parts of it can be pretty cliche by now to a modern audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pissdude posted:

It is literally a generic evil rear end in a top hat monster that eats humans viciously in a 90's shounen anime adapt

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

WickedHate posted:

The problem with adaptions like this-even JoJo-are that some parts of it can be pretty cliche by now to a modern audience.

Jojo makes it work by being completely and utterly ridiculous in every way. Also because the insane poses are more insane to a modern audience that hasn't seen stuff like that in decades.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the second episode of a shonen show, that's like complaining that random encounter enemies in an RPG don't have a personality.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rock dude is cool and I like him. I thought it was cool when he died.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

The Devil Tesla posted:

Rock dude is cool and I like him. I thought it was cool when he died.

it would have been better with some flashbacks to the anime waifu that he had that got roughed up by the yakuza and so now he's a giant rock dude

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
This show is the exact kind of 90's kickin' rad shonen that I've always loved. The obvious comparison is Yu Yu Hakusho but I'm also getting a Hajime no Ippo vibe because of the sharp turns between intensity and comedy. Tora being voiced by Rikiya Koyama, aka Takamura, also helps.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahh, third episode rules so much.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Show is rad. Feels retro without feeling old, and it's enthusiastic and funny in a way that most recent shonen stuff really isn't. That's enough nto put it over the top for me. Tora isn't at all the kind of character I expected him to be and the dynamic between him and Ushio kills me. Best thing bout the whole show.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Ushio and Tora is legit good, and seems even better since it has been a long time since there has been a decent hot-blooded shonen action show. Seven Deadly Sins and Magi are the last ones I can remember, and neither of those survived the three episode test.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sort of a relief to have a show that isn't a gritty deconstruction of its genre. Everything old is new again.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

CuLT posted:

Sort of a relief to have a show that isn't a gritty deconstruction of its genre. Everything old is new again.

I'm not even sure what a gritty deconstruction of an old fashioned demon battling shonen manga would be like. First of all, it probably couldn't be gritty, because that poo poo's already gritty.

Maybe a a not-gritty deconstruction, where the youkai are all happy go lucky Youkai Watch looking goobers, and the protagonist is the crazed lunatic who terrorizes them for some reason

So something like Azazel-san

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm not even sure what a gritty deconstruction of an old fashioned demon battling shonen manga would be like. First of all, it probably couldn't be gritty, because that poo poo's already gritty.

Maybe a a not-gritty deconstruction, where the youkai are all happy go lucky Youkai Watch looking goobers, and the protagonist is the crazed lunatic who terrorizes them for some reason

So something like Azazel-san
The later parts of the Chimara Ant arc of Hunter x Hunter where getting close to deconstruction when the ants started to regain old personalities, maybe?
The Devil is a Part Timer? That one seemed more like a comedic inversion instead of deconstruction though.

How would you deconstruct something that boils down to one character punching/shooting another character with [magic power]?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

deconstruction is just a word/concept that should be abandoned in media discussion

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

dogsicle posted:

deconstruction is just a word/concept that should be abandoned in media discussion

I disagree. Unless by media you mean anime, in which case you are completely correct.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

dogsicle posted:

Gah, outhipstered.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
It's relaxing to have a show I can watch to bring back such classic anime tropes as abusive upper classmen whom the protag bonds with via a fist fight and monsters of the week. I imagine we get introduced to an overarching plot in an episode or two though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This is still a fun show that I like to watch. I'm pleased that other folks are beginning to interact with Tora.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hamburgers > Humans

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Tora eat the burgs

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
Hyou next week :love:

He's not Wakamoto Norio anymore :butt:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This episode really cut down on the body count. I think the heads only killed one person while they were in the city.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Serious Frolicking posted:

This episode really cut down on the body count. I think the heads only killed one person while they were in the city.

No, they killed a bunch of peeps in the department store, a couple of girls, all the people in the elevator, etc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Condiv posted:

No, they killed a bunch of peeps in the department store, a couple of girls, all the people in the elevator, etc.

Nah, they exclusively destroyed shelves in the store and in the elevator no one was hurt.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Nah, they exclusively destroyed shelves in the store and in the elevator no one was hurt.

They also killed a bunch of workers when they were freed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

They also killed a bunch of workers when they were freed.

That's why I specified "in the city". In the manga, they went on a killing spree up until they were killed themselves. They ate everyone in the elevator, too. Again, the body count was greatly reduced but not eliminated, which I find kind of odd.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Still enjoying this; it's good, simple, action-y fun. I'm glad that Tora is starting to interact with the other characters.

Also,

.jpg posted:

Tora eat the burgs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can away with a certain amount of people killing in a TV show but not too much, I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

You can away with a certain amount of people killing in a TV show but not too much, I guess.

Well, the construction workers dying was integral to the plot. I guess I don't really mind the change? I mean yeah, having monsters constantly going on murder frenzies raises the stakes but it isn't absolutely necessary most of the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This way does make our heroes look a little more heroic - they managed to take out the youkai before things got too badly out of control. It also integrates the tone a little more, I guess - goofy buddy-cop hijinks would be a bit jarring if the city got totally 9/11'd.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
If Ushio and Tora are the two hotshot cops on the edge who may not play by the books but get results dammit, who's their weary captain bureaucracy embattled captain who is constantly threatening to have their badges?

It can't be Dad, he ran away crying in this week's episode

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Asako, obviously.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

This way does make our heroes look a little more heroic - they managed to take out the youkai before things got too badly out of control. It also integrates the tone a little more, I guess - goofy buddy-cop hijinks would be a bit jarring if the city got totally 9/11'd.

Yup, it's just not nearly as fun if the heroes only manage to put a stop to something after dozens and dozens of people were massacred. Sure, it can't get any worse, but still. It's hard to take it as a win when every episodes opens up a whole new subsection in the local graveyard.

There's this one manga called Chaosic Rune, and it turns civilian deaths into an artform. It's basically an over the top parody that would make Warhammer 40k tell them to take it down a notch.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

If Ushio and Tora are the two hotshot cops on the edge who may not play by the books but get results dammit, who's their weary captain bureaucracy embattled captain who is constantly threatening to have their badges?

It can't be Dad, he ran away crying in this week's episode

It actually kind of is Dad.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

nah people were on the floor of the elevator in that scene, and she wasn't in a position where they could just knock her out without people getting hurt

they found interesting ways to mask the violence, but it's still there.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
This show is pretty rad

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Condiv posted:

nah people were on the floor of the elevator in that scene, and she wasn't in a position where they could just knock her out without people getting hurt

they found interesting ways to mask the violence, but it's still there.

In the manga, the elevator was completely empty as she fell and you could see body parts hanging from their mouths. They were ducking down, and miraculously remained unharmed.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

For anyone who wonders why Tora doesn't just try to eat Ushio while he sleeps, he tries it twice in the Hyou episode.

Also, there are a few moments when Hyou chews on the scenery reeeeeal hard. It's pretty awesome, but it's not Wakamoto-awesome. :(

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'm glad that Tora ate the burgs.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I really appreciate that Hyou and Tora apparently fought in a park for a full day and a half and it's nbd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"No. Die." haha I loving love this guy! :allears: He's like if Batman was a Spirit Detective with the abilities of a Naruto ninja.

• Locked thread