Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tora best tsundere of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
He was the second-best tsundere of the '90s, behind Vegeta.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, the end to this fight felt a little unearned and unsatisfying, but at least it looks like the show's going to chase up on it rather than leaving it as a random deus ex machina. I also wasn't 100% sold on our protagonists just instantly tearing the ayakashi to bits after all the trouble they'd had making a dent in it from both the outside and inside, even if I can sorta-kinda see the logic of it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, the end to this fight felt a little unearned and unsatisfying, but at least it looks like the show's going to chase up on it rather than leaving it as a random deus ex machina. I also wasn't 100% sold on our protagonists just instantly tearing the ayakashi to bits after all the trouble they'd had making a dent in it from both the outside and inside, even if I can sorta-kinda see the logic of it.

Well, the Beast Spear got powered up when some of the cloth around it got torn off, I'd assume it's a power limiter type deal and it was only by virtue of the powered up version of the Beast Spear that they were able to tear up the ayakashi. I'd assume there are reasons for the power limiter cloth and that will be explained in the future.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Pretty much every piece of information given so far in the series has been important and will come up later. It's one of the things that made me like the manga so much, actually.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

vibratingsheep posted:

Pretty much every piece of information given so far in the series has been important and will come up later. It's one of the things that made me like the manga so much, actually.

This times five. We're about to DAD ARRIVES BY PARAMILITARY HELICOPTER so, previously unanimated stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wow actual plot. This show is pretty drat great actually. I like that childhood friend girl isn't a total wet blanket like a certain other recently animated 90's manga too.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh wow actual plot. This show is pretty drat great actually. I like that childhood friend girl isn't a total wet blanket like a certain other recently animated 90's manga too.

You take that back about Bulma :colbert:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I have a feeling I'm going to miss the episodic stuff. The girls are likely either going to not appear for a while or be reduced to long-term damsels in distress, so that's unfortunate. Still, I'm looking forward to where this is going, since this has been consistently fun so far.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I have a feeling I'm going to miss the episodic stuff. The girls are likely either going to not appear for a while or be reduced to long-term damsels in distress, so that's unfortunate. Still, I'm looking forward to where this is going, since this has been consistently fun so far.

don't worry too much about it. the girls are played as damsels in distress sometimes, but more often there are new people to save/deal with. ushio to tora actually has a pretty huge cast of characters

Condiv fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
And awaaaay we go. 33 eps for the actual main plot, I'm pretty stoked.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anime dad loves his son but is inadequate, channels the power of the buddha.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That episode was so good you guys.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show is really creeping up my favourites list this season, the fight between team Ushio and the monks was a perfect example of how to do an action scene on a limited budget and still make it look good. Also everyone's voice acting is amazing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ahh why is it not Friday. Why is there not a new episode yet.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ahh why is it not Friday. Why is there not a new episode yet.

I thought this today, too.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Typically, my fave parts of this show have always been in the first fifteen minutes, but last week's was all-around rad and I hope it can keep it up. And that the seriousness to come doesn't stem the tide of Tora faces.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Pootybutt posted:

Tora faces.

We're good.

Also, Tora is still the second-best tsundere of this season/the '90s, behind VEGETA.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

vibratingsheep posted:

We're good.

Also, Tora is still the second-best tsundere of this season/the '90s, behind VEGETA.

This is true. How long is this supposed to run for, in guessing the whole story because that's so cool!

Also, that is some excellent spike placement.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Internet rumour is that it's getting 39 episodes to cover the whole manga.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's 3-cours, it's running through winter next year. I'M SO PUMPED

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

next week will be the first time the anime outright skips an arc in the manga, so I'm going to link the chapters here. however, these chapters have a slight bit of info about the beast spear and hakumen no mono so read them at your own peril

:siren:read at your own risk, some of this content may be covered in a future episode:siren:

chapters 35-38: The Houriki Heretic

edit: you can read these chapters if you don't care about being a millimeter ahead of anime watchers on some plot threads. if you want a completely spoiler free watch, put off reading these chapters for a couple more episodes at least

Condiv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 21, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This was clearly not the best episode of the show but I still liked it a lot, and the Tora plane jokes ruled. I also liked that the dad had carried a picture of his daughter with him everywhere, just so when he died tragically he could talk to it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

The Devil Tesla posted:

This was clearly not the best episode of the show but I still liked it a lot, and the Tora plane jokes ruled. I also liked that the dad had carried a picture of his daughter with him everywhere, just so when he died tragically he could talk to it.

Lots of people with kids carry pictures of them around, they often do the same thing with pictures of their wife or husband even. I dunno. maybe things are different on your planet?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Lots of people with kids carry pictures of them around, they often do the same thing with pictures of their wife or husband even. I dunno. maybe things are different on your planet?

probably because they know a yokai attack could be waiting around the corner. gotta be prepared

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

The Devil Tesla posted:

Tora plane jokes ruled

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Tora totally makes this series. Without him, this would be a competent but uninspired shounen fighting show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It wasn't like, a pic that fit into his pocket, or like something in a frame in an office. It was a big ol pic of his daughter and the only reason I can think of to carry around something like that is if you thought you were going to die. I think he was just a regular commercial pilot so maybe he got on every flight thinking it would be his last. That's what I'm going with.

I think story wise it's meant to be the same kind of thing as a pocket sized picture that you carry around everywhere, but it's drawn real big because it makes it easer to see who's in the picture. I'm not really complaining, and I like how corny the show's dramatic stuff can be!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

The Devil Tesla posted:

Is the Pilot Carries Picture Of Loved One In Cockpit trope new to you or something?

Also, the youkai's facial expressions ruled this episode, hilarious

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
This show continues to impress me. Even with an episode that is pretty generic and rote, it does it with such a sense of fun and enthusiasm that it's still a blast.

Show is great. Tora is great.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Zero_Tactility posted:

Even with an episode that is pretty generic and rote, it does it with such a sense of fun and enthusiasm that it's still a blast.

This is worth stressing. I'm really enjoying the show even when it's a not particularly thrilling youkai of the week episode because the two titular characters are so emotive and animated. This poo poo bleeds 90's in the best way possible and I'm excited for when some more recurring characters show up and the plot starts rolling in full.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

This is worth stressing. I'm really enjoying the show even when it's a not particularly thrilling youkai of the week episode because the two titular characters are so emotive and animated. This poo poo bleeds 90's in the best way possible and I'm excited for when some more recurring characters show up and the plot starts rolling in full.

Also, they iced the monster of the week by setting him up for a loving airstrike. That was neat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
hey Gate, this is how you make a supernatural beastie getting owned by modern tech cool and fun

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good news - looks like we've got some heroic kamaitachi as recurring characters. They are one of the weirder and cooler of Japan's vast collection of youkai.

Bad news - the writing seemed particularly clunky this week. It's never especially graceful, but it felt a bit more obvious a problem than usual.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Condiv posted:

next week will be the first time the anime outright skips an arc in the manga, so I'm going to link the chapters here. however, these chapters have a slight bit of info about the beast spear and hakumen no mono so read them at your own peril

:siren:read at your own risk, some of this content may be covered in a future episode:siren:

edit: you can read these chapters if you don't care about being a millimeter ahead of anime watchers on some plot threads. if you want a completely spoiler free watch, put off reading these chapters for a couple more episodes at least

They're skipping that arc? Isn't it kind of important later on with the Intendent who's really a shard of the HnM? I guess something was going to have to fall by the wayside.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Anime faces in the sky are the best.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

As of this episode, it's completely safe to read these chapters. A majority of the content of these chapters will never air, so read chapters 35-38 of ushio to tora if you want more ushio between weeks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

joeseph joestar plays a hateful father in this episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I knew I knew that voice. :v: Some good back ground music in that ep too.

• Locked thread