Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I hope every ghost of the week episode like this ends with someone's smiling face in the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every 70's/80's/90's anime ended with someone smiling from the sky.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Sakurazuka posted:

Every 70's/80's/90's anime ended with someone smiling from the sky.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Yesssssss, Tora liked the burgs

Get some ham barkers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Some good Tora faces in that episode

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zero_Tactility posted:

Yesssssss, Tora liked the burgs

Get some ham barkers

The episode that introduced the exorcist guy Hyou ended with Tora admitting that hamburgers are delicious, which was the most important line in the episode.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

today's episode was good, really liked how they handled the intro to hakumen no mono

it also looks like the merged the kappa plot into this arc, so i'll probably post the kappa chapters after next week or one more week

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love the Go Nagai/Devilman style that the youkai have going on it this.
From the title I somehow expected this to be the start of the obligatory shounen tournament arc though. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Neat that we got a kappa, though a shame he didn't get to show off their insane wrestling skills (seriously, that's a thing - it's why you want to trick them or bribe them with cucumbers if you come across them). Wonder if we'll be getting a tanuki? They're popular youkai, but this show seems to be hewing pretty close to the original myths, so it could get pretty :stonklol: pretty fast.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Tora Tora Tora Tora Tora

That was good Tora and I'm pumped for next week!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool episode, I wish they'd actually animated that fight though. :v:
One thing I like in this so far, compared to most shounen, is that the focus is on the titular characters and it doesn't seem to feel the need to always have the extended cast hanging around if there's nothing for them to actually do.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool episode, I wish they'd actually animated that fight though. :v:
One thing I like in this so far, compared to most shounen, is that the focus is on the titular characters and it doesn't seem to feel the need to always have the extended cast hanging around if there's nothing for them to actually do.

that's probably because the titular characters are interesting enough to stand on their own without the flavor characters propping them up

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

really good episode today

the op is different and we're now starting to get into more hakumen no mono heavy stuff

the anime really is picking up, good job mappa

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ushio adds another tsundere to his collection.

Also stop getting on buses :ughh:

I don't like the new ED at all. :(

oilatsnep
Sep 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Ushio adds another tsundere to his collection.

Also stop getting on buses :ughh:

I don't like the new ED at all. :(

Ushio has issues with buses like Joseph Jostar has issues with planes.

This show is great.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was some high quality villain voice this episode. A+

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I didn't notice this previously, but the new credits sequence has burgs.

Also, I really like this show, but I feel like there isn't much to say week-to-week besides "still fun and good; enjoyable episode"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Kinda feels like they're speeding through plot points though. "I AM ONE OF THE CHOSEN SUCCESSORS OF THE BEAST SPEAR!" followed ten minutes later by "I AM ONE OF THE CHOSEN SUCCESSORS OF THE BEAST SPEAR!" seems a little unnatural.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

While 39 episodes as a lot for an anime nowadays, it's adapting over 30 volumes of manga in that time so the pacing is still going to seem speedy. It is at least a change from everything in shounen taking for loving ever.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Does Tora ever stop being so Tsundere and just chill the gently caress out and eat the burgs?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope not

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ushio and Tora: In which our heroes fix a guy's demon problem by having three dudes enter him and then giving him an eyeful of his naked sister.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hey, if it works, it works

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

As much as I like this show I have to admit I've been a little disappointed at the lack of the crazy eyed bloodthirsty Ushio you see at the end of the OP thus far, but the end of this episode has me kinda hopeful.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Well that was a convoluted way to bring Ushio's harem the girls that Ushio helped together and have them prove their love save his life to return the favor. I guess it's better than getting thrown off to the side and never being heard from again. I did enjoy Yuu calling Asako out for being a tsundere that's too tsun.

I was also surprised that the girls were all able to get from Tokyo to Hokkaido by the end of the same day. Then again, I suppose it is possible since Ushio turned shortly after sunrise and their trip wasn't constantly interrupted by yokai attacks. It's amusing given how much time and trouble Ushio went through to do the same exact trip.

Also, Izuna continues to still be badass and awesome.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That wasn't a very good episode but whateves the show has been so good for so long that I'll let it slide.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Man, this adaptation is really cutting a bunch of arcs and recurring minor characters out. Most of those aren't really much of a loss, though it is unfortunate that they didn't include Tora's vertical bisection. I hope they do the motorcycle arc, at least.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
When Jun and Hinowa started yelling at each other in the middle of the episode, I really just expected them to burst into song and activate their Symphogears. I hope I'm not the only one.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the latest episode was absolutely amazingly well done

if you haven't watched it yet I suggest you do

they really nailed how powerless everyone/thing is in front of hakumen no mono, and how horrifying it is this episode. this is the episode the puts the truth behind all the hakumen no mono legends we've been hearing throughout the series

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was loving great. For a while the show has been suffering from too much talking about how dangerous the HnM and not enough actually meeting cool villains, but this encounter more than made up for that.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
It's always fun when a villain goes Okay, plan A is boring, I guess it's time for plan KILL EVERYONE

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like Hakumen's voice. It's much eerier and more inhuman than the standard villain baritone.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

vibratingsheep posted:

It's always fun when a villain goes Okay, plan A is boring, I guess it's time for plan KILL EVERYONE

And then they actually follow through.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, whoever was complaining about the body count...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did a pretty impressive job of establishing an appropriately mythic atmosphere here. It's something a lot of shonen try and fail at.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Rip Ushio for three months :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Rip Ushio for three months :(

HUHHHHHHHHH????

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This show started strong and it's kinda being held up only by Tora's antics currently. Parasyte had the same problem.

90s manga couldn't nail the backends of stories, I guess.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

HUHHHHHHHHH????

It's taking a break for three months and coming back in April.

And while in pretty sure that I would religiously watch even a bad U&T adaptation, I haven't felt it sliding at all. Mayuko & Tora was particularly amazing, and there hasn't been a bad episode since the iffy everyone comb Ushio thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
In U&T's case, I think it's more I feel like the plot is just spinning its wheels before the finale. Felt like things were naturally progressing towards fighting Hakumen no Mono, but they've done anything but. Not saying the episodes have been bad, but the plot has felt like it's dragging a bit.

• Locked thread