Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

When guns are homosexual, only homosexuals will have guns.

I have never heard of this game.

That's cool. Monument Valley is a mobile game by the distressingly indie developers at ustwo in which we guide a rather quiet Princess Ida through the ruins of her long-dead kingdom. These "ruins" are surprisingly cheerful, if a bit strange, and interacting with them rather than with Ida directly is how we'll be doing the majority of our exploration.

It's basically like being trapped in an MC Escher music box.

...Huh.

Yup.

So how's this gonna go?

In a word: low-key. Each update will be about ten minutes, maybe less, (The first two are really short but it gets better, honest) and I'll be running subtitles to intrude as little as I can. The puzzles are pretty straightforward, and there's little room for audience participation, but even with that, Monument Valley has to be seen (and heard) to be believed.

Thread stuff?

No spoilers, I guess? There's not much to really preempt here, but let's keep all discussion to current and previous levels, just because their design is a really big part of how this game is experienced and we don't want to ruin the surprise. Updates every Tuesday and Thursday.

Any other questions?

Nope, I'm good.

Then without further ado:

Let me tell you a story,

Once upon a time
There was a brave princess
From a quiet kingdom
Who wanted to set things right.
She traveled the long-forgotten Valley
With its paths of dust
And its pillars of regret.
There were many strange adventures,
And when she came to the end of her journey
She received a wonderful reward

Appendix i: On Fleeing from lava
Appendix ii: On Twisting, weirdly
Appendix iii: On Wretched thievery
Appendix iv: On Relaxing with Water Puzzles
Appendix v: On Losing something precious
Appendix vi: On Surreality
Appendix vii: On the sides of boxes
Appendix viii: Onwards

Awakening from a pleasant dream

Fanart
Warning: Contains spoilers. Sort of.

Thanks, Grimwit!

Trenchfoot fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

It may not be mind-bending yet, but episodes 2 and 3 are up. Check out our first real level and some conversations with the questionably dead!

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

In, Episode Four, Princess Ida continues in a stalwart fashion, as we visit a koi pond and meet the Crow People. Also, I retouched the OP after some solid advice from the peanut gallery. Should be a little more straightforward now.

Thanks guys!

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Grimwit posted:

This kind of reminds of me Kairo.

I'm liking the atmosphere some more.

Also, I wonder if the Princess is the only living one in the valley right now. Maybe she's a g-g-g-ghost, too! :ohdear:

Don't worry, her fate is much more bizarre. Plus, it's kind of a trope in this game that all ghosts are dicks so it's unlikely by that margin too.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Sorry about the delay, there were some minor technical glitches.

Anyway, as we slouch toward Chapter Five Princess Ida moves in mysterious ways, this becomes a stealth game, and we are well and truly bothered by the Crow People.

Godspeed.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

I started watching this and it has an interesting art style. In episode 2, the subtitles are a little hard to read.

EDIT: Watching 3 now, subtitles are a little hard to read here too.

Yeah, sorry about that. Four should have bigger font and be easier to read.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Meis posted:

I absolutely adore this game. the art and sound in it are phenominal. I think it won an award even?

It won several.

Meis posted:

Good LP.

Awww, thanks.

Meis posted:

Are you going to do the DLCs too?

:ssh:

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

berryjon posted:

Odd. The Princess looks like a color-negative crow with her hat on. Mayhap she should take it off, and the Crows won't recognize her?

I get the feeling they would squawk at us even still. I don't think two crows ever run into each other in-game, but if they did the bellyaching would probably last forever.

SSNeoman posted:

Even when you're not in their way they still turn to squawk at you. Jerks.

I know right, they're as bad as the dead guys.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

In Chapter 6, Princess Ida carries on through certain peril, as we make a new friend, say some tender goodbyes, and apparently leave a throne vacant.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Hey gang, it's Chapter 7, where we carry on despite our losses, encounter the most perturbatory architecture to date, and get some of our own back against the Crow People.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

berryjon posted:

Or will these questions be answered in upcoming videos?

Hold that thought for, like, two updates.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

And now for Chapter 8, where Princess Ida, now returned to us, continues her quest in a grand fashion as we explore The Box, apologize to the Crow People, and encounter strategically placed fish.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

Wow that was really cool. I can see why you like that level. The way it folds in and out is really nice :allears:

I'm glad you liked it, because this is really the level that inspired my LP.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Things fall apart in Chapter 9, where Princess Ida faces fate grimly, we meet an old friend, see what I'm assuming is a Queen, and learn that flowers are the most sacred of all geometry

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

berryjon posted:

Also, does anything happen when you approach the mirror?

Just mirror things.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Things fall together in Chapter 10, when we light three lights to end the world, the architecture stops even pretending to make sense, and I have surprisingly little to say.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Grimwit posted:

:allears: That was lovely.

Yeah, I thought so too. Doesn't really explain itself, but with a game like this I wasn't expecting it to.

berryjon posted:

That was the ending, right?

Mraagvpeine posted:

This is a short but sweet game.

Yup. Just about ties it all up, really. You all are invited to stay for some coffee and DLC, but that's rather more addendum. Hope you liked it!

SSNeoman posted:

Oh. So the crow people could no longer fly because Ida stole (?) the sacred geometry? Huh. But it seems to have cursed her as well...?

Liking your take, but I'm still a little confused by the subtitle for Chapter 10. There are a lot of ways to read this, and the ending itself.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

And now for something complete different with Appendix i, in which Princess Ida takes matters into her own hands as we dodge molten rock, rapidly run out of stairs, and wonder what happened to the wings, or for that matter, the ending.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

The lack of the music box strings when you move objects is really disconcerting.

I thiiiiiiiink that was just for the one level?

Grimwit posted:

Glad to see even though this is an addendum, they didn't skimp on the creativity.

It's almost like they're casting off what limitations their were from the main storyline, and just going full abstract.

berryjon posted:

Leave no Totem Behind!

Semper Fly!

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida really takes the biscuit in Chapter 12 as we go swimming where we shouldn't, stand where we can't, and find out that flowers are the safest way to travel.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

And it wasn't that hard to figure out those puzzles.

No need to be snide. :colbert: But seriously, my occasional flailing aside, these puzzles are pretty straightforward, which is kind of why I have a hard time explaining this game to my hypothetical friends. Sure the label says "Puzzle game," but it's really less about challenge and more about, "Wouldn't it be cool if there were one-eyed blocks everywhere and we all flew around in flowers?" I want to say it's more of an experience than a game, but I also don't want to get punched.

Grimwit posted:

What in holy Hell is going on?!

Oh I don't know, something Mind-Beeeeeeendiiiiing?

Hmmmm?

Hmmmmmmmmmm?

But seriously, the DLC is a bit less worried about introducing mechanics/corpse exposition as it is with just raw experience.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

The unthinkable happens in Appendix iii, as Ida gets a horrible surprise, we encounter a machine run for and by Crow People, and a truly inordinate amount of revenge is sworn.

Trenchfoot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 14, 2015

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Hope you guys are enjoying the thread!

Trenchfoot fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 14, 2015

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SystemLogoff posted:

I just watch the videos pretty passively when I'm tired though. :3:

:3: My videos are a bedtime story for the internet.

SSNeoman posted:

I liked the Princess' animation when she was trying to take her hat off. This was a really cool level in general yeah.

Definitely one of my favorites so far.

Ben Kasack posted:

That one was kind of cute. They do something you're not quite expecting and give you a reason to chase down this one, solitary Crow. NO ONE wears the magic, shape expelling cone hat except the Princess.

NO ONE.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Things simmer down in Appendix iv, as we raise and lower a perfect cube of water, reluctantly rediscover our inner necromancer, and do the electronic equivalent of bonsai trimming.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

That was nice shoutout to Escher's Waterfall. I always liked that one myself :3:

berryjon posted:

It's nice to see them pulling out classic non-euclidean architecture now and again.

There really was a sort of "back to basics" vibe about the whole thing. And say what you like about Escher, those waterfalls were the stuff.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The ghost explained the title 'Forgotten Shores'. This was a part of the Princess' earlier adventures, before she got her crown back. The princess had just forgotten about them, and this her telling her subjects about them. Makes a lot of sense.

Wow, that actually works pretty well. It also makes a few later things easier to stomach

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was wondering though, if after solving the final waterfall puzzle you could step into the stream. Looked like it should be possible...

Went back and tried; sorry, no dice.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Things take a wrong turn in Appendix v as we exploit old friendships, find something lost, and reflect on mortality

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida buckles down in Appendix vi, as Crows are interrogated fiercely, things are stood on that should not be, and a nervous breakdown is narrowly averted.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

berryjon posted:

If you could turn your screen around, some of those changes in orientation become easier to understand.

That.... would really have helped. Yeah.

GeneralYeti posted:

Well that was a hell of a thing to watch first thing in the morning. Ow.

WELCOME TO MY ADORABLE NIGHTMARE

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think the level is based on this illusion.

There are definitely paralells; a couple Crows were sitting on protruding blocks like that.

SSNeoman posted:

This game has officially stopped loving around wow

Or it's only getting started. loving around.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida messes with our heads in Appendix vii as she explores the Purple Room, tries to hit a Crow with the ocean, and bends time and space to plant a sapling.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Also, I had to switch computers, so sorry in advance about the weird drop in video quality. I'm hopefully going to record the last two updates this weekend, and I'll try to reupload six and seven after that.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida pulls off a minor miracle in Appendix viii as we get kinda chilly, light four lights to end the DLC, and pick up the pieces from there.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

:3:est oubliette ever. That sapling is adorable.

It'll look better when I reupload, grumble grumble.

NullBlack posted:

A pit into which prisoners were thrown, to be "forgotten" (oublier ‎(“to forget”)).

Thanks, hooded guy. I was wondering about that too.

berryjon posted:

Wait. You said *two* more videos? But I thought there was only 8 levels....

Technically since the video's up already I'll spill. Just beforeI started this thread, June 25th to be precise, ustwo made the Ida's Dream DLC available to all players. It's a good fifteen minutes, scandalous length for this thread I know, and that will really, truly, seriously be the end of our time together. Will you guys miss me? I'll miss you.

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

Princess Ida waves a bittersweet goodbye, as we traverse the infinite, lament the loss of spinning music, and grind madness into flour in a very odd windmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trenchfoot
Mar 1, 2015

And that's all she wrote, folks. I'm going to reupload a few of the earlier videos with bigger subtitles and HD, and then I'll close the thread for good. Thanks again to everyone who liked, watched or commented: when I started this I was rather worried it would just be me posting out into the void.

G'night!

• Locked thread