Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know how some people make really nice OPs with lots of pictures? Wait, do people still do that even? I honestly don't know!

Well, pretend the official show page is the OP, because I could never make anything as nice as this:

http://www.sundance.tv/series/rectify

Rectify is the greatest television show of all time. That's what I thought after the 6 episode first season. I still think that season is perfect in every way and stands with the greatest in television OR film. It is a masterpiece.

Season 2 was 10 episodes, and at times the length seemed to hurt the narrative, as it had more weak moments than season 1 (because season 1 had zero weak moments). But it was still chilling and profoundly good.

The teasers and trailers for season 3 are focused on the crime aspect, the murder/rape. Well, by now, both of those are "alleged" because the only people who were there are dead, or were on mushrooms at the time, or are not talking, or a mix of all three. Daniel "confessed" at the end of season 2 but this is a show where nothing is that simple, and all signs pointed to the confession being a way for Daniel to end the nightmare rather than an outpouring of objective truth.

Will season 3 give us answers or just more Southern Gothic philosophy? If we're lucky, both.

Premiers tomorrow (Thursday, July 9) at 10/9 EST/CST on Sundance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know, I could absolutely see this season concluding the murder mystery, with season 4 being wide open to explore more "Daniel adjusting to normal life" thing.

I mean, season 1 was only 7 days, and season 2 was, I want to say at most a couple weeks? So Daniel has still been a free man less than a month. Still got a lot of culture shock and prison wisdom to go. :)

edit: hell they could even keep the cop stuff around by having the town go all "Trey was wrongly imprisoned! Put the real monster in jail!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

If you feel like watching the second episode, Sundance threw it online: http://www.sundance.tv/watch-now/rectify/4344646924001/thrill-ride

Oh thank God they're putting the eps online this year. I didn't want to resort to :filez: since we don't use cable TV at all, and even if we did I don't think we'd get Sundance in the Basic package.

Gonna watch both episodes as soon as I get home. Pretty psyched.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Especially in the second episode, Crawford is just killing it this year. He's on par with Aden Young now.

The Sheriff continues to be awesome as well. But I have no idea what the point of that scene with the Senator in the diner will end up being.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bown posted:

Watching the premiere now. Did Janet confuse Daniel with Teddy re: Willie D's love? :ohdear:

If this were any other show, I'd think they were setting up an Alzheimer's plotline. But I think it was more meant to show the extent to which Daniel just doesn't fit in their lives right now.

What's up with Jared's girlfriend Claire? Is he going to serial kill her to set up season 4 or something? He was barely in season 2 at all, aside from being a creeper.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sundance isn't really known for great original programming either, the only other thing I can think of is The Staircase which was good but far from great television.

If this show were on IFC it would probably be much bigger. Not sure how it would fare on AMC, I mean this show makes Mad Men look downright fast-paced.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Teddy's "bonding" with Jared was the stuff of nightmares.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got a fairly demanding new job and somehow forgot there was a new episode (probably because I'd watched the first two eps weeks ago). I just barely DON'T have enough time to watch the new one before work today. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK so, wow, yeah, this season is absolutely back to "season 1 quality". Last week Clayne Crawford loving killed it, and this week pretty much every performance was on point.

The Sheriff scene had perfect tension, and it's obvious that by now the Sheriff is actually becoming a little biased towards Daniel. He absolutely could have played things very differently. He could have had Daniel hauled in in chains, which is sadly what would probably have happened in real life. Daniel's a POI in either a murder or suicide and a possible coverup of such.

Amantha at the seminar, poo poo. It was hilarious and then suddenly it was just pathetic and awfully sad. I love how the crowd slowly but genuinely applauded her at the end. That was a perfect touch. Between this and her role on True Detective, she is killing it this year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, The Sheriff giving Trey the stink eye was amazing, his entire demeanor in that scene told you nonverbally that he could smell the bullshit on Trey and didn't like it one bit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Just be glad it's not an HBO thread full of hatewatchers bitching every week about how slow the show is.

It's a TVIV miracle that Abigail Spencer is on both shows at the same time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've had this horrible theory that the reason Melvin is around, and keeps being around, is that it will turn out he killed Hannah.

On any normal crime show, this would practically be a given (or it would somehow turn out to be the Senator that did it). On this show, I hope/think Melvin is just A Good Guy.

Still have no idea what the point of the Senator having a stroke will end up being, unless it's something for next season.

I'm increasingly convinced that George's suicide/Trey covering it up will be solved and that will somehow allow Daniel to stay in Paulie.

edit: This season has had literally zero Bobby Dean and almost literally zero Jared, weird.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Janet standing up to Ted and Teddy was fantastic.

Next season will definitely be about Trey going to trial and the things that shake out from it. Bank on it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just realized that next season we could have an episode that's just Daniel on the witness stand, like a one-act play. Who could they get to play Prosecutor? Sam Waterson would be funny since he actually is a great actor. Or maybe Ray McKinnon himself, that would be transcendent.

e: I'm not a hundred percent onboard with bringing in another shady character in Chris. I also miss things like Kerwin and Lezlie With a Z.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do think that Ray McKinnon is so happy with the current cast (and rightfully so, every actor has BECOME those characters now, and Ted is Ray McKinnon's dad!) that next season will have to take place in Paulie.

Plus I don't think the show has quite the budget to do "On the Road by Daniel Holden" though holy poo poo that would be loving good. Maybe season 5 can be that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Amantha becoming manager of a Thrifty Town is incredibly depressing, and I think is meant to mirror Daniel's imprisonment and how he just accepted it, like she is accepting it.

e: To expand: as someone who has sometimes ended up living in poo poo-hole, nowhere, nothing Southern towns, I can say with all honesty that nobody has to live in them. Relocating, even just an hour or two away, is always possible. But those towns are full of people who have created reasons to stay. Some of them are good reasons, like Ted and Janet's happy, calm life. But some of them are artificial reasons, like Tawney's, and it's interesting that she's coming into her potential just as Amantha is shrinking away from hers.

precision fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 9, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having lived in the South I can assure you that carrying yourself with the mannerisms of a person like Daniel Holden is seen, at best, as problematic. It's almost as if people you talk to can't even conceive of their own existence, which to me is horrifying. [beat] But what do I know. Maybe I'm just... grasping at shadows on a wall. Y'know?

e: new thread rule until the finale you can only type in daniel holden voice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well friends, a week has passed, and I can't say it hasn't been... eventful, in the literal sense. Full of... events. Some of them were honestly quite expected, while some came... unannounced. Not necessarily unwanted, just... sudden. But I guess that's how things work, on the outside... I'm not sure what will happen tonight, but I'm ready to see it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think maybe a hosed-up detail of the case could be that Hannah's gang-rape was actually consensual, and she knew Daniel had feelings for her so she didn't want him to know.

Also everyone involved was high as gently caress on mushrooms so any sexual act would be legally defined as "rape" even if the people involved don't remember exactly what happened or remembered consenting. Like, if it happened today, the guys involved could claim they were raped. Depending on your opinions about sex while your mind is perceiving infinite dimensions, it's reasonable to hold the view that it's impossible to (legally) consent in that state.

drat fine finale, and now I just gotta wonder where next season is going? Lawyer vs. Senator, for sure, and Sheriff "I Smell Bullshit" having more investigating to do, but will they really have Daniel be isolated in his own city and story? That seems very unlikely, so I'm assuming he'll be court ordered to return as a witness in an ongoing murder trial, like I said earlier.

Lycus posted:

That's what Chris said, but I don't think the Sheriff necessarily believed it.

What I think happened is that even back then Trey was a slimy dude and he went and told Chris that because he did know Hannah was dead (whether he killed her or not) so that later he could say "I didn't know she was dead, just ask my buddy Chris".

precision fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not counting Melvin out.

His absence in the finale was awfully suspicious :tinfoil:

I also thought they were actually writing John out of the show, what with him and Amantha breaking up, but apparently not.

Also great how the only moment Jared had in the episode was "Can I play?" "NO" I feel bad for the actor, but then again, that's an easy paycheck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If McKinnon really wants to capture the spirit of Southern Georgia he could have Amantha and Teddy hook up :v:

e: I kid but that really crossed my mind during their bonding scene

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think maybe they just couldn't get Bobby's actor back for whatever reason. Jared stalking Hannah's old room and Daniel "pardoning" Bobby definitely made me think Daniel/Bobby squaring off in a fair fight (of words, at least) was in the cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had thought the concept of Daniel and Tawny ending up together had been taken off the table, but putting it back on there in the finale was breathtaking. I love how the show gave no indication of whether it was Daniel's dream, hers, or a legitimate psychic encounter thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

First immediate thought was that it was a legit flashback and they were revealing that Tawny had visited him in prison

Same, I think that was the intent. Was a mindfuck until I realized Daniel wasn't actually wearing cuffs, he just had his hand in the position out of habit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that's probably quite likely. Murder trials take a while to get sorted, so Trey's got at least a few months to wait for any movement on that. The show seems ready to let go of "prison Daniel", as shown by his final goodbye to the literal prison. I just wonder what new habits and hobbies he'll pick up in the halfway house. I think it would be kind of boring to have him just become a better person and keep being a hard-working Philosophical Jesus, and would also be too easy to do that. One of the things season 2 did really well was show that Daniel can have a good time and is still in many ways a teenager, since those party years were stolen from him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought we were supposed to think it had been used as a gag or something, if you're talking about the thing I remember. Which, yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In season 5 of Rectify we learn that Hannah's real killer, all along, had been Kerwin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked the fact that Trey's favorite show is Squidbillies

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Clowny daggers, y'all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh no doubt, Jake Austin has got that role down. He also sounded so drat happy when he was arresting Trey.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Riled Shareef posted:

Why does this thread have 3 pages? I get that it's niche but I feel like TVIV should be all over this masterpiece.

TVIV is a clique-y kind of place, and a fair number of the frequent posters don't like me. :ms:

I want to say the Sheriff was actually already a cop when Hannah was killed. He found the body. The actor is 46, so about 8 years older than Daniel/Trey, though I think the show is presenting him as a bit younger than that. But yeah, he was a cop already.

Also, I just noticed this show has a 100% at RottenTomatoes. Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JaddaCaddra posted:

Speaking of Teddy, am I the only one who felt kinda bad for him in the pilot? I'm not saying I don't think he's an rear end in a top hat, he definitely is. But when Janet told him to stop calling her "mom" for awhile I felt kinda bad for the guy, I still kinda did even after all of his negative character traits came to light.

We are absolutely supposed to be unsure whether we hate Teddy or not. Dude has got his own problems and his own reasons for them, just like Daniel. I'm so glad they didn't decide to go full antagonist with him because Clayne Crawford just slays it.

• Locked thread