Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Anyone else watching this? They brought back Craig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I'm on episode 2 and there's a little bit of discussion in the tattoo thread so I'll link them.

Dave Navarro seems to have recently learned the word "legibility".

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
"Next week on an incredible Ink Master..."

*shows 45 seconds of people yelling at each other and nothing about tattoos*

The show needs to tone down the drama a bit. I wish it were more like Face Off where they encourage each other instead of 700 eye rolls an episode and so forth. Other than that, it's fun to see what people come up with.

Rooting for Craig.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, I've been waiting to see if this thread would ever pop up. I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I'll watch it sometime this weekend.

X-posting from the tattoo thread:

Katie McGowan is a former coworker of mine. I've met her "master", Matt, a couple times. Nice dude.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I'm a masochist who enjoys this lovely TV show. I pretty much ignore all the drama because it's manufactured, cut-together nonsense, but hell if my boyfriend in the same room (Totally Not Watching) gets all ranty and worked up at it. Possibly the best part.

So far this season I'm liking Katie's work. Hoping she does well. She and her "master" seem cool.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Thanks to Hulu I've seen every season in the past couple of months and so far I've never found anyone to root for because they're all assholes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

moerketid posted:

So far this season I'm liking Katie's work. Hoping she does well. She and her "master" seem cool.

They both are (from what little interaction I've had with Matt). Ink Master actually started when we worked together and we'd sit around the shop and make fun of each week's episode. Never thought I'd be watching her on there. She was a good tattooer when we worked together, but she's put in a poo poo load of work and progressed a ton since, so I'm excited to see how she does.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got my first tattoo from Dave Kruseman so I hope he does well. I've only really see him do traditional tattoos so I'm betting a new school or portrait challenge is going to do him in.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Oh sweet, I was wondering if others were watching this too and ready to commentate.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The St. Marq dude is super annoying, it's like he emulating a character from a bad Jack Black movie in place of a real personality. I'm glad he's good at tattoos though cuz I wanna see what other stupid poo poo he has to say.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Mob posted:

Thanks to Hulu I've seen every season in the past couple of months and so far I've never found anyone to root for because they're all assholes.

The first season had a couple actually likeable people. Or at least it had Tommy Helm. Or was that the second season? Either way, each season has gotten worse for the drama and rear end in a top hat contestants. The only redeeming part of last season was that Cleen lost on a technicality. Such good schadenfreude.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

savinhill posted:

The St. Marq dude is super annoying, it's like he emulating a character from a bad Jack Black movie in place of a real personality. I'm glad he's good at tattoos though cuz I wanna see what other stupid poo poo he has to say.

Yeah, someone who knows/has been tattooed by St Marq has to come in here and tell us if he's actually that over-the-top in person or just hamming it up real good for the show.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

savinhill posted:

I was pretty impressed with his stained glass tattoo.

And what the gently caress is up with the overalls? I guess no one is going to step at the giant and say something.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

They look comfy as poo poo and I'm jealous of his big overalls

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Reminds me of one of those adult baby fetishists, especially the fact they're always paired with those kindergarten primary colours.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Why do artists go on this show? Is it just the money?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The general public are idiots. This is even more true in regards to tattoos. By being on TV, win or lose, the artists can jack their rates way up because people think, "well, they were almost Ink Master, so they have to be good."

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Ink Master has a way of taking something that I already liked or could be interested in, then making sure that by the end of the hour I never want to watch/drink/hear it ever again.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Then you aren't living mas.

I kind of zoned out during the whole focus on Katie being at fault during the flash challenge; what was that about?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

cheese eats mouse posted:

Why do artists go on this show? Is it just the money?
Money, exposure, a paid-for vacation, some friendly competition.
The strangest part to me is the rivalries that blow up.If I was meeting a bunch of people with similar job/profession/interests I'd want to become friends with as many of them as possible. Because you just never know when you could use a contact or professional acquaintance in your field who lives in another city.

This year's crop seems overall more competent than previous seasons. No one is really terrible, although some still don't get that they have to work within the style guidelines of the challenge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

KilGrey posted:

I was pretty impressed with his stained glass tattoo.

And what the gently caress is up with the overalls? I guess no one is going to step at the giant and say something.

Maybe he's a big fan of Super Mario Bros.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MV's Sphinx looked like a Sphinx head on a hybrid rabbit/gorilla creature.

Not Today Satan posted:

Then you aren't living mas.

I kind of zoned out during the whole focus on Katie being at fault during the flash challenge; what was that about?

She made mandalas that were out of place and Earl did other crappy stuff. vOv

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
My favorite moment of this season so far was the guy loving up the snake tattoo so it had no teeth and looked weird and his friend getting REALLY angry whenever anyone even brought it up. "Stop piling on guys, leave him alone, mess with him you mess with me like you never made a mistake! :qq:"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I wish on the first episode they eliminated everyone with stupid facial hair.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm working my way through the rivals season and it's just so horrible. Like a train wreck you can't stop watching. It seems like people are more competent in later seasons versus the first and second season where every tattoo was horrible.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

detectivemonkey posted:

I wish on the first episode they eliminated everyone with stupid facial hair.

At each season's first episode I make a point to actively root against everyone using a fake name/nickname they obviously gave themselves + manufactured personality combo

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
That mustache is so loving annoying.

And the 'canvases' are mostly retarded. But that's to be expected from a bunch of people that want free tattoos, with no idea what they're going to get.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Crooked non color tattoo should have gotten the axe. I just got a tattoo where my artist obsessed about placement to where we did he stencil 4x

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've watched an artist spend over an hour making sure a stencil was positioned just right. Sure, that wouldn't be realistic when you had some time limit where money was on the line, but still.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
This is where you scale the project to your time limit rebuke comes into play.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Cruzman staying on was absolute bullshit and baffling. Yeah that wolf tattoo was lovely, but Cruzman straight up ignored the challenge and proudly said the tattoo idea was dumb. The judges arguments were also really REALLY weak "Well um, this wolf tattoo is bad and...Cruzman was good in the past!". It doesn't help that the tattoo he did was pretty garbage anyway.

How the gently caress was that fair in any way?

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

frankenbeans posted:

That mustache is so loving annoying.

I like Dave because he reminds me of Lieutenant Dingle from Reno 911.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Cruzman staying on was absolute bullshit and baffling. Yeah that wolf tattoo was lovely, but Cruzman straight up ignored the challenge and proudly said the tattoo idea was dumb. The judges arguments were also really REALLY weak "Well um, this wolf tattoo is bad and...Cruzman was good in the past!". It doesn't help that the tattoo he did was pretty garbage anyway.

I'm actually typically for the people who are willing to say "ok, this is what the dumb challenge is but you'll have this forever so I'm not doing that". I wish Cruzeman's tattoo was better, but I don't really fault his reasoning. Guy who got sent home is annoying so I'm good with him being gone.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

detectivemonkey posted:

I'm actually typically for the people who are willing to say "ok, this is what the dumb challenge is but you'll have this forever so I'm not doing that". I wish Cruzeman's tattoo was better, but I don't really fault his reasoning. Guy who got sent home is annoying so I'm good with him being gone.

I understand that the tattoo idea was dumb, but I feel like a skilled enough artist could make it work. And even IF he bucked the challenge he should at least had the decency to have a drat good tattoo to show for it. That tat was absolute poo poo, it was really clumsy.

I'd also give the wolf tat a break since the dude getting it was stopping him live every 10 seconds.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

OldTennisCourt posted:

Because they've they've had contestants get mad and say the judges are showing favoritism in the past so the judges could get get all HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE US sanctimonious to hide the fact that they definitely show favoritism and almost every season it's pretty easy to pick it out. How else do you explain Scott winning that 4-way Master challenge special.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I understand that the tattoo idea was dumb, but I feel like a skilled enough artist could make it work. And even IF he bucked the challenge he should at least had the decency to have a drat good tattoo to show for it. That tat was absolute poo poo, it was really clumsy.

I'd also give the wolf tat a break since the dude getting it was stopping him live every 10 seconds.

The wolf drawing was such hot garbage I'd expect to see better doodled on an 11 year old's math homework. No amount of stopping and starting was to blame for the fact that it was drawn so, so badly.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

moerketid posted:

The wolf drawing was such hot garbage I'd expect to see better doodled on an 11 year old's math homework. No amount of stopping and starting was to blame for the fact that it was drawn so, so badly.

I suppose my argument is the moment the other guy said "gently caress the challenge" and ignored what was asked of him that automatically means he has to leave. Yeah, that wolf tat was horrendous, no arguments there (I will say the constant start and stop couldn't have helped though), but the other guy not only ignored the challenge but did a tattoo that was lovely as well.

It just sort of annoys me, I like the show but there are a lot of times where the judges pull poo poo out of their rear end to justify kicking people off. One of the most egregious examples was when a dude who did really lovely tats before did a really amazing, almost technically perfect one and you can clearly see one judge scrambling to find faults and just blusters a "Uh...i...it doesn't have a lifelike feel".

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 29, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Earl's terrible snake tattoo came back to bite him in the rear end. I think if he hadn't done that one previously, which was so memorably bad and also another one where his art so badly mangled what the real life thing is supposed to look like, it would have been Cruzeman going home.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

OldTennisCourt posted:

I suppose my argument is the moment the other guy said "gently caress the challenge" and ignored what was asked of him that automatically means he has to leave. Yeah, that wolf tat was horrendous, no arguments there (I will say the constant start and stop couldn't have helped though), but the other guy not only ignored the challenge but did a tattoo that was lovely as well.

This right here. Dude just straight up said, "I'm not doing this". I don't buy the "I'd rather give her a good tattoo" excuse because the other person figured out how to complete the challenge. Her technical skills might not have been that great but she did the challenge in a smart way that made it look good. Kruseman didn't even try.

I also really really loving wanted Craig to have been down there during that conversation of "good tattoo artist" vs. "didn't do the challenge" and get his input. The last few seasons have also endeared me to Dave. He calls the other judges out when they are being retarded and ignoring the rules for their own personal opinion. He did it to Chris in the finale last season too. Dave had a good point with, "Well okay, next week we'll have a head tattoo challenge and he can just tattoo someones chest..."

I wish they'd get rid of the human jury, they are all idiots. I hope they watch the shows when they air so they can hear the judges saying the opposite of what they often say.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

KilGrey posted:

I wish they'd get rid of the human jury, they are all idiots. I hope they watch the shows when they air so they can hear the judges saying the opposite of what they often say.

I really thought I was the only one with this opinion. It boggles me how these people who obviously just want a free tattoo all of a sudden become "tattoo experts". The majority of these people already have some pretty lovely tattoos to begin with which makes me question their overall judgement. After a while each episode just becomes a bunch of dorks sitting around trying to talk themselves into liking their new tattoo while dog-piling on someone else's. An example of this is the first episode when the jury picked Duffy's squirrel. Sure it might not have been the best tattoo but it certainly wasn't the worst.

I stopped watching this show for the merits of tattooing a long time ago and replaced that interest with the voyeuristic enjoyment of the train-wreck aspect but I can't help but still get annoyed with it sometimes.

Echoing everyone's sentiment about Kruseman. Curious to see how things pan out for him post Ink Master.

• Locked thread