Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Plenty of Cedar Point love in here but nobody's mentioned the Raptor yet. Despite being one of the first inverted coasters it's still one of the smoothest and best laid out, and its location looking out over the midway makes for a really pretty night ride.

I love Raptor but I think Banshee edges it out at Kings Island. Banshee has no mid-course brake meaning it keeps its forces all throughout the ride. However the most intense part of Banshee comes at the very end where it flips you through a barrel roll at a slow speed. Very intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Plenty of Cedar Point love in here but nobody's mentioned the Raptor yet. Despite being one of the first inverted coasters it's still one of the smoothest and best laid out, and its location looking out over the midway makes for a really pretty night ride.

Smooth? It's a good coaster but the ride gets worse every year. The only coasters rougher than Raptor at CP are the Streaks.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bob Loblaw posted:

For unique rides, definitely Astrosphere in Funtown in Maine, there is nothing like it. It is a glow-in-the-dark Scrambler inside an air supported dome. As the ride starts, ELO's 'Fire on High' starts playing loudly while smoke and lasers and strobes fill the room. They used to have creepy pictures on there when I was a kid (30 years ago, yikes) but the effects and ride is still amazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj0m6On8DQ0

For thrills though, the new Fury 325 in Carowinds, SC, is amazing. Largest gigacoaster in the world (and I think 4th largest overall) hitting 95mph. It's like Goliath here in Georgia except on steroids. Absolutely amazing and was lucky enough to ride 7 times in a row over my son's spring break.

Um. Is that the right video.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Frostwerks posted:

Um. Is that the right video.

Sigh, try this one instead - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7uST2CUQ0

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Thunder Road at Carowinds has always been one of my favorites for three reasons. One, it's a dueling coaster so you can race complete strangers. Two, both coasters are on opposite sides of the NC/SC border. Three, it hauls rear end.

It's being torn down this year. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJkiOObnMY

Horace Kinch has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Jul 25, 2015

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sitchelin posted:

Thunder Road at Carowinds has always been one of my favorites for three reasons. One, it's a dueling coaster so you can race complete strangers. Two, both coasters are on opposite sides of the NC/SC border. Three, it hauls rear end.

It's being torn down this year. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wJkiOObnMY

At least its two sister coasters, Racer at Kings Island and Rebel Yell at Kings Dominion are still going.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Quantrill posted:

Smooth? It's a good coaster but the ride gets worse every year. The only coasters rougher than Raptor at CP are the Streaks.

Did they finally remove the corkscrew and the old mine ride?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Corkscrew and Cedar Creek Mine Ride are still there.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What was everyone's very first coaster?

Mine was The Hulk coaster down at Islands of Adventure. My dad took me on that thing like 3 times that vacation :allears:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Probably Puff the Little Fire Dragon at Lagoon in Utah.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

my favorite ride has always been The Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio

this thing is twisted!

excellent speed, g-forces, inversions

the waiting area is spooky, dark and thematic.

best of all, when the coaster takes off, it accelerates the riders very quickly through a dark tunnel, so when you are waiting in line you see the people in front of you one moment, then you hear this loud thundering WOOSH and the accompanying screams of the riders whisking away creates a ghastly sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AWjhWCmF60

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yep. Kings Island and Kings Dominion have the exact same ride as that coaster but it's enclosed so it's completely dark. Makes it really spooky. They're called Flight of Fear.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

OldTennisCourt posted:

Mine was The Hulk coaster down at Islands of Adventure. My dad took me on that thing like 3 times that vacation :allears:

The Anaconda at King's Dominion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4nxSMiTojE, waaaay back when they operated coasters in the rain. :black101: It hurt like poo poo from the rain and I was like 7 and thought it went actually under water not just in a tunnel so I was holding my breath and closing my eyes for half of it.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Commie NedFlanders posted:

my favorite ride has always been The Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio

this thing is twisted!

excellent speed, g-forces, inversions

the waiting area is spooky, dark and thematic.

best of all, when the coaster takes off, it accelerates the riders very quickly through a dark tunnel, so when you are waiting in line you see the people in front of you one moment, then you hear this loud thundering WOOSH and the accompanying screams of the riders whisking away creates a ghastly sound!

Man, I rode that thing 15 years ago, it had shoulder harness restraints at the time and the whole time my head was bumping back and worth between them, it was painful but even so I still have fond memories of it. I need to go back and ride it again one of these days, it has different restraints now right?

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yep. Kings Island and Kings Dominion have the exact same ride as that coaster but it's enclosed so it's completely dark. Makes it really spooky. They're called Flight of Fear.

I knew that ride looked familiar, used to go on that all the time at Kings Dominion cause the line was always shorter than the Volcano.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Probably Big Thunder Mountain at Disney World.

At least that's the earliest I remember. Still one of my favorites too.

PS. Cedar Point's new coaster leaked: http://imgur.com/a/mvfRv

Zero One has a new favorite as of 01:48 on Aug 13, 2015

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Zero One posted:

Probably Big Thunder Mountain at Disney World.

At least that's the earliest I remember. Still one of my favorites too.

PS. Cedar Point's new coaster leaked: http://imgur.com/a/mvfRv

gently caress yeah, I love huge steel coasters and CP ain't far.

Managed to take a trip down to Dollywood earlier in the summer and besides the abundance of confederate flag t-shirts it was great! Nothing super unique but everything was enjoyable. Thunderhead was loving awesome and I'm not usually a fan of wooden coasters, Wild Eagle had the seats on the side of the track which was a nice twist, and Mystery Mine was really thrilling without using much height. I'll edit in videos when I'm not on my phone later

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Daniel Bryan posted:

Corkscrew and Cedar Creek Mine Ride are still there.

Well seeing as the corkscrew is basically a magical whiplash granting machine then this

Quantrill posted:

is bullshit.

It will kill you however if you're a dumbass and jump safety fences

Elfgames has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Aug 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Helix at Liseberg in Gothenburg, Sweden, is pretty drat good. A bit short, but super smooth. Would ride forever, if not for the 80 minute queues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTtGj8FDiQ8

• Locked thread