Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

if it's good enough for bees and plutonis, it's good enough for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Portable Staplefrog posted:

The first anime ever I can sort of relate to!

are you admitting to loving animals

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

So, how did the race of monster girls hide themselves from humans for so long? Are there monster boys?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm still scared of spider legs

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PAPISM

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Papi is Catholic. This is canon

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

It kills me to say this, but Papi has the best songs

She is best song girl

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Question for the day: Do monster girls have souls?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Deki posted:

According to the original Little Mermaid story, no.

Hans Christian Anderson is racist against mermaids

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I've been inspired by the biology posts itt, so here goes something

How Close Are Your Favorite Monster Girls to Their Mythological Counterparts? Part 1: When is a Snake Girl Not a Snake Girl

In the show, Miia is a lamia. In Greco-Roman folklore, Lamia (Λαμια, lone-shark) was the queen of Libya. She was the beautiful daughter of Poseidon and her beauty caught the eye of Zeus. Their pairing led to children. Once Hera learned about this, she took Lamia's children away from her. In her immense grief, she became savage and cruel, stealing people's children in order to eat them. This cruelty made her permanently disfigured, with a giant mouth like a shark. As a consolation gift, Zeus gave Lamia the ability to take her eyes out of the sockets and put them back in without any injury.

In later times, Lamia was conceived as a boogeyman who would steal and eat children who misbehaved. Even later, she multiplied and became the lamiai, beautiful phantoms who would seduce men and eat their flesh.

Have you noticed something here? Nowhere in ancient texts is Lamia described as being a snake-woman. This comes from the poetry of John Keats who in his poem, "Lamia" writes,

John Keats posted:

She was a gordian shape of dazzling hue,
Vermilion-spotted, golden, green, and blue;
Striped like a zebra, freckled like a pard,
Eyed like a peacock, and all crimson barr’d;
And full of silver moons, that, as she breathed,
Dissolv’d, or brighter shone, or interwreathed
Their lustres with the gloomier tapestries—
So rainbow-sided, touch’d with miseries,
She seem’d, at once, some penanced lady elf,
Some demon’s mistress, or the demon’s self.
Upon her crest she wore a wannish fire
Sprinkled with stars, like Ariadne’s tiar:
Her head was serpent, but ah, bitter-sweet!
She had a woman’s mouth with all its pearls complete:
And for her eyes: what could such eyes do there
But weep, and weep, that they were born so fair?
As Proserpine still weeps for her Sicilian air.

However, in this poem, she has the head of a serpent on a woman's body instead of a woman's torso on a snake body. The question still stands, where does our friend Miia come from?

The answer comes from across the globe. In Vedic religions (Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism), there are a class of beings called the Naga. They are beautiful half-cobra, half-human hybrids with the power to become either completely snake or completely human, although they prefer to be in a snake/human hybrid form. They are usually beneficial to humans, only attacking evil people and those destined to die premature deaths. The Nagi, female naga, are incredibly beautiful snake princesses. In antiquity, many South Asian dynasties claimed descent from the union of a mythic ancestor and a nagi.

Still doesn't explain why she has pointed ears though

How to make Miia more true to the folklore
Call her a Naga. That's it.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dzhay posted:

You'd expect her to be a better swimmer then.

This is a good idea, keep it up. (What are you going to do about Rachnee?)

jorogumo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Twiddy posted:

Where's the actual oldest description of a Lamia specifically as the snake woman we know today? If it's DnD, then I got nothing, but if it came from Eastern games than maybe it was just an attempt to localize Naga?

Any older than like 1980s and I got no clue.

It wasn't' in D&D because D&D lamias looks like this in early editions slightly NSFW

I might actually be Final Fantasy or Megami Tensei that burned the hot snake chick in our brains. In this form, they resemble Lilith or Tiamat more than Lamia, though

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Suu is pretty high tier, but Zombina is the best

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ranzear posted:

Super fun question for everyone to take a moment and try to answer. No spoilers please:

What is Darling's actual name?

:smug:

Kimihito Kurusu

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

can we talk about how bad the crunchyroll subs of monster musume are

i can hear papi refer to herself in the third person but they don't sub her like that

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pollyanna posted:

This is a question of literal vs. intentional translation. Referring to yourself by your own name is a common way of trying to appear cute in Japanese, whereas in English it has the connotation of "foreign" or "of low intelligence". They likely translated by intent rather than by literal meaning.

I think of the Rock since he refers to himself in the first person

Papi is like the Rock

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If you smeeeeelllll what the Pap is cooking

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

How Close Are Your Favorite Monster Girls to Their Mythological Counterparts? Part 2: More Like Poopi

The harpies were a race of women with the bodies of birds and the heads of women. At first, they were seen as wind spirits, but as time went on they became more and more malevolent. Both Homer and Hesiod speak of harpies as agents of Hades who would take away people who refused to go to Tartarus, torturing them in their sharp claws. However, this is not where harpies got their fame.

The most famous story of harpies is the story of King Phineas of Thrace. Phineas had the gift of prophecy. He drew the ire of Zeus by revealing too many plans of the gods, and thus cursed him two ways. First, he was blinded. Then, Zeus gave him an ironic punishment. The gods love their ironic punishments. He was stranded on an island where there was food everywhere, but when he went to eat something, the evil harpies would either take it away or poop in his food.

Phineas stayed here for a while until Jason showed up. Jason saw the starving old man and had pity on him, killing all the harpies so he could finally eat. In return, Phineas revealed how to traverse some dangerous rapids in the future.

So yeah, harpies are evil. Over time, they got a two more attributes, ugliness and uncleanliness. Harpies were linked with general disgust, mostly linked with feces. For ugliness, just take a look at a picture of a harpy from the Middle Ages.

That's what a "true" harpy should look like, a woman's head on a bird's body. There is, however, a parallel image of harpies that's more recognizable to us. NSFW Remind you of anyone?

How to Make Papi More True to the Folklore
Make her steal food from everyone and make her poop everywhere.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 13, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zombina is best girl

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zombies are dead humans infected with a virus

So yes, she is dead

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

No knock on Rachne, but I think non-consensual dominatrix would not fit in with some families

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, how many of the girls are still interested in Kirisu (or whatever his name is) at this point? Miia, Centorea, Rachnee, and maybe Meroune?

all of them, op

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I was under the impression Suu and Papi had more interest in goofing around with each other than messing with him.

And yeah, Lala's just an acquaintance.

in the world of monster musume everything wants to gently caress darling-kun

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

season 2 confirmed, right

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

what the heck she stole a drink from someone else

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Do you think it's moral for monster girls to go to the zoo? It's a bit hosed up to me

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

boom boom boom posted:

Monster girls aren't animals, goddamn dude

I don't think it's moral to view apes, chimps and monkeys, how is this different

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

boom boom boom posted:

You don't think it's moral to look at a marmoset?

Because they are close to us, evolutionarily.

Thinking about it, I would have to reserve judgement until I see how monster girls evolved

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

oh god

where are her hands

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Droyer posted:

Birds don't have hands

Then how do they use chopsticks?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

All civilized people can use chopsticks. Harpies are civilized people. Therefore, harpies can use chopsticks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

boom boom boom posted:

People with severe arthritis in their hands aren't civilized in your opinion?

Yes, that is correct.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kytrarewn posted:

コキング ???

Should be kakingu

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

that's not fair

Adbot