Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Does anyone know what plastic the official minis by North Star are made from? It doesn't feel like PS or ABS and some test peaces I cut from the runners don't seem to react to plastic model cement which would back that up; is this accurate or am I doing something wrong?

I'd rather use cement than superglue if I can but it's looking like that's not going to be a possibility with them unless I'm just a dummy or there's a type of cement that works with this plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Really? That is incredibly weird. I have always used plastic cement and it has always acted the exact same way. What set are you working with?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nash posted:

Really? That is incredibly weird. I have always used plastic cement and it has always acted the exact same way. What set are you working with?

It's the barbarian set and I'm using Tamiya brush-on cement. The plastic just doesn't seem to soften even when left to soak in a blob of it. I can bond bits together, but it just seems to be the PS that's dissolved into it hardening rather than a proper weld.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

I use Testors in the red squeeze tube and have never had a problem. Maybe your cement batch is defective?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nash posted:

I use Testors in the red squeeze tube and have never had a problem. Maybe your cement batch is defective?

It works fine on the PS/ABS ship and Gundam models I've used it on. Was it actually melting the plastic for you?

edit: The Testors website shows that most of their cements are also only for PS/ABS but a couple types are for a wider range of plastics as well

I wish these runners had the plastic type stamped on them. Box doesn't say, either :saddowns:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 4, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

It works fine on the PS/ABS ship and Gundam models I've used it on. Was it actually melting the plastic for you?

edit: The Testors website shows that most of their cements are also only for PS/ABS but a couple types are for a wider range of plastics as well

I wish these runners had the plastic type stamped on them. Box doesn't say, either :saddowns:

My Frostgrave soldiers 1 and 2 sets melted just fine with plastic weld. Some of the plastic glues have a lot more filler and less solvent so maybe that is part of the issue if the underlying plastic is more resistant?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did you get them from a legit source? Some recasters use resin copies of entire plastic sprues.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Did you get them from a legit source? Some recasters use resin copies of entire plastic sprues.

I can't imagine anyone recasting Frostgrave stuff. It's cheap, easily available and not enormously popular. If recasters did make copies their own margins would be razor thin.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got them from Meeplemart which is reputable and I'm reasonably sure they're actually plastic and not resin; resin is pretty obvious.

I'd like to know specifically what product name and number of cements worked on the plastic so I can sus out which type of plastic it is. "Testors in a red tube" narrows it down to several different products which have different formulations for different plastic types.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I grabbed a sprue to check cause usually there's a code on plastic stuff that'll tell you the base material but nothing is on them.

Tamiya Extra Thin worked fine on my Soldiers 2 and Gnolls.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Testors Cement for Plastic 3512 is what I have always used for all my plastic figures.

Nash fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 5, 2019

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Thread, how is Frostgrave these days? I've been looking for a warband sized game to play ever since we (the gang) all bought models and realised playing mordheim in this day and age is basically masochism.

Would it scratch that itch? Would I easily fit more gothic minis into the frostgrave vibe? I was following the game when it first released but like a lot of these things I felt like I had to give it time to mature.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I've not read the most recent book, but it's pretty much died out at our club. There are still a few people playing the Rangers game but that's about it.

The same design problems that plagued the start still cause a bunch of issues - namely the swinginess of 1D20.

There's supposed to be a new edition in production at the moment. I'd probably wait for that.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

It’s doing well. There have been several campaign releases that have added additional loot tables and a few more spells here and there. Along with Lich Lord, Breeding Pits and Forgotten pacts came different figure sprues to the game. Each release usually adds a new soldier type or two. Gnolls, cultists, and barbarians all have sprues to make the usual assortment of soldiers, with additional types in metal for each.

In addition there have been other figure releases as well. A soldiers II kit that features all female figures and a wizard kit to make your own casters.

You also have some other additions like cards that add additional secret victory conditions and expanded rules for a captain if your forces.

Maze of Malcor updated the experience system a bit and introduced several new wizard schools. Although they aren’t full schools like the original they have some fun uses.

I believe later this year/early next we will see a solo playable dungeon crawl Frostgrave expansion along with a Frostgrave 2.0 of sorts. It sounds like the author wants to tweak some things and tweak the spells a bit to have more of them be useful.

As always, use whatever the hell figures you want.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Just a note, the 2nd edition is coming sometime next year and it shouldn't invalidate any of the expansions, just slight changes to mechanics as well as spell lists so there is less auto include spells. I would recommend getting the core book and the Frostgrave Folio, which includes all of the smaller online only expansions. That has the rules for making a Captain and also a decent starting point in the Dark Alchemy campaign that can be played solo or co op to get a feel for the game.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's going to be a nickstarter soon with their latest supplement - Perilous Dark! It's gonna be a bit like Rangers of Shadowdeep, it seems, with the focus being on solo and co-op play, which sounds neat! They're also coming out with a female wizards box!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

From what I heard there'll be a general pre-order for the supplement, with a Nickstarter for the wizards which includes the book. If the pre-order the book you get a discount on the NS (I think?).

Painted up some scatter terrain and tents to help break up LOS and provide more cover after ele bolt kind of dominated our last game...

The cart is not glued to the horse or the goods and will be used for the next Lich Lord scenario we play.

Last game we played was 'The River' and looked like this:

We decided the river was more of a canal and I did some quick arts and crafts to make the river banks out of spare card (from an Ikea box iirc). 3-player game so we used the full 4x4' mat but maybe for the next game we should treat it as being 3x3 still...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
My local club is having a Frostgrave all-dayer, with a campaign written for us by the FG author - who should be attending too.

Can get the details if anybody is interested!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Should probably point out this is in London.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They've shown some painted examples of the new female wizards on their facebook and they look really nice! I love the old lady with the outstretched hand especially. Can't wait to see the sprue!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

This appears to be everything on the sprue - and there will be two of the sprue in the box they'll sell. A really nice mix of different types of heads - you could really go Maiden, Mother and... The Other One with this set.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crones are people too, you know :v:

Those look fantastic! There's going to be so much cross pollination with both wizard kits and everything else. Can't wait!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Witch hat, Molotov, and throwing up the horns.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

LashLightning posted:

This appears to be everything on the sprue - and there will be two of the sprue in the box they'll sell. A really nice mix of different types of heads - you could really go Maiden, Mother and... The Other One with this set.

Oh. My. Glob. Magic users with options for not-a-staff?!

Say it ain't so.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

LashLightning posted:

I like that puppet.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

LashLightning posted:

I like that there is left and right hands doing goat horns, so you make one unarmed headbanger

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Has anyone had a look at Perilous Dark yet or tried it out? If so, how does it compare to Rangers of Shadow Deep for solo dungeon crawl-type play?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Do we know when the new wizards box is coming out? I need some of those Horn-Raising hands. For, uh, for science.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The latest newsletter from North Star is the pre-order (or "Kickstarter") starts later this week, and the books and plastic sets arrive at their warehouse at the end of the month.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nickstarter is up!

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 19, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anyone know where the armoured guy carrying the box is from?

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
He's a mini from Osprey's new board game, Wildlands, and sadly only available in their £60 starter.

https://mustcontainminis.com/2018/12/miniatures-showcase-the-guild-in-wildlands-by-opsrey-games.html
https://ospreypublishing.com/wildlands

Also apparently he's soft plastic, but the detail seems pretty good.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A fortnight left to go on the pre-order and they've got 7.4k. They must be quite pleased!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Thanks for the reminder. Need to get on this when I get home from work.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could only afford the wizards at the moment. It's a shame i wasn't able to get in while the cloaks were on sale =/

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also; I - LOVE - Vallejo's metals.

Edit:

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 6, 2019

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A complete view of the wizard II sprue.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
They should make an extra sprue with nothing but hands doing the horns. I'd convert so many figures for a metalhead warband.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Electric Hobo posted:

They should make an extra sprue with nothing but hands doing the horns. I'd convert so many figures for a metalhead warband.

Anvil Industries does a set of hands making various gestures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First look at the wizard from the nickstarter. She's looking great!