Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Finally, an excuse to use a bunch of the Reaper wizard minis that I've liked the look of but haven't had anything to use them for. Assuming they're the right size; what's the scale anyway?

Edit: Book is cheap enough that I may as well preorder, if I can find anyone to play with I'll probably pick up the official minions box

Edit 2: Reaper is 25mm, official Frostgrave minis are 28mm. Is there a very noticeable difference there?

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, its not like the game uses the D20 ruleset. It just uses a twenty sided die.

I like 3D6 or even 2D10 because it creates a bell curve-like probability distribution. I'm not a game designer, but as a player I like knowing that average to decent results are much more likely than whiffing badly. The chances of hitting it big are less, too, but I don't like to bet on Hail Marys.

That's not going to turn me off this game, of course, but I am going to have to scrounge up some extra D20s from somewhere since I don't make a habit of playing games that use them.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 14, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Even if they don't handle avalanching in a campaign well, I hope that the game plays well as a one-off skirmish game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Got my Frostgrave book in the mail. I love the way the book looks and feels, especially for the price. The layout is very clean and the art is very good.

If I can get anyone on board with this I'm going to go on a shopping spree for minis. I want to use Reaper's Scribe as a Sigilist.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm not that experienced at painting people so I might just make a warband of slimes with weapons stuck in them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Get the book if only for the look, feel, and art of it. Honestly it's refreshing for a gaming product to not have hot rear end for artwork.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ineptmule posted:

Oh god, what? Why would that be the case? How horribly and needlessly complicated.

Are you serious? Dude, it's not like they're asking you to do surface integrals or cross products.

Move is halved from the model's base when you have treasure. Its second move is half of its move. Yes, if it's carrying treasure then its second move is a quarter of the base (half of half), but come on it's not hard.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 3, 2015

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

if it helps then make a chart or something idk but lol if halving a number is too much to ask of you

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Moola posted:

I prefer to do as little math as possible during games because I literally have a brain disability involving math so lol I guess?

Well I retract the "lol" because I wasn't trying to be IRL offensive but in that case I think the chart might still be good advice

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If it makes it easier, you just need to think of it in practice as "if you move a second time, you move half as much as you already moved" which isn't cumbersome or complex at all.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

That's exactly why I fell in love with Frostgrave; the fact that many aspects of it are generic and that they encourage you to use your own miniatures or customize the official ones really lets you create a wholly original warband with whatever story you want. Or forge your own narrative, if you will.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Otisburg posted:

If they ever do a scenario where you have to defend/assault a wizard's stronghold, or involving the open air market that implicitly exists around the city, that stuff is gonna be cash money.

Given everything else in the city I'd expect a market to have some pretty hosed up and dangerous produce in it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Does anyone know what plastic the official minis by North Star are made from? It doesn't feel like PS or ABS and some test peaces I cut from the runners don't seem to react to plastic model cement which would back that up; is this accurate or am I doing something wrong?

I'd rather use cement than superglue if I can but it's looking like that's not going to be a possibility with them unless I'm just a dummy or there's a type of cement that works with this plastic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nash posted:

Really? That is incredibly weird. I have always used plastic cement and it has always acted the exact same way. What set are you working with?

It's the barbarian set and I'm using Tamiya brush-on cement. The plastic just doesn't seem to soften even when left to soak in a blob of it. I can bond bits together, but it just seems to be the PS that's dissolved into it hardening rather than a proper weld.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nash posted:

I use Testors in the red squeeze tube and have never had a problem. Maybe your cement batch is defective?

It works fine on the PS/ABS ship and Gundam models I've used it on. Was it actually melting the plastic for you?

edit: The Testors website shows that most of their cements are also only for PS/ABS but a couple types are for a wider range of plastics as well

I wish these runners had the plastic type stamped on them. Box doesn't say, either :saddowns:

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I got them from Meeplemart which is reputable and I'm reasonably sure they're actually plastic and not resin; resin is pretty obvious.

I'd like to know specifically what product name and number of cements worked on the plastic so I can sus out which type of plastic it is. "Testors in a red tube" narrows it down to several different products which have different formulations for different plastic types.