Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ro5s posted:

It full of problems, from wizard balance (always play elementalist) to bad mechanics (I rolled a 20 and you rolled a 19, doesn't matter, you're dead)

Basically, people got off the hype train once they actually played it, the game's not very good.

To be fair, the crit 20s are an optional rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zark the Damned posted:

I started a potential new warband :)

Thinking of picking up the not-Princess Bride minis from the same company to make up the numbers.

Where did these come from?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh poo poo! They have a not-Venger!

At least, i think so? He had a sword, not a staff, right?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty close.
I don't know why, i just have this picture in my head that he, at least once, used a sword during the show. Also, Peter Cullen needs to do more villains.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here goons, have some conversions;

This is my Small Construct!

My Witch/Druid found the husk of some native beetle that had succumbed to a parasite (the stump on his back). Imbuing his magic into it, it now acts as a mobile bag!

This is my Imp!

Summoned from the realm that exists between life and death, this creature acts on the most powerful impulse that inhabits all living things - the must to survive.

Since they're supposed to be smaller than a man and I have no idea where to find 20mm rounds, i just clipped the bases you get in the warband boxes to size. I felt better about using green stuff this time around! Using a different mixture was a big help and i realised that i need finer tools. Also, i need wire for armature next time, since the tree didn't want to stay upright =S

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Electric Hobo posted:

I like those, they're weird in a fun way :)
You can get 20mm mdf circles on ebay. A quick look says a 100 for $5-6.

Looks like they're reprinting and updating the spellcards, and getting another book ready. I don't know, I think I'm just about ready to move onto Archipelago when that comes out.

Thanks, i'll keep that in mind!

I would love a version 2 of Frostgrave with some balance changes. There only need to be a few :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had a skirmish game over vassal and it was some fun! Grenade is money, killing a bard and an apprentice on a crit, turning him into mist. His force was half strength but i still lost because, he got treasure off the board and i didn't =(

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why do pirates seem like so much fun?
Is it the poofy shirts and purple pants?

Bigassguana is so good.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 11, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross-post!

Irate Tree posted:

Thread, meet Harnold, the Wizard's Apprentice.

"Hrmm! Hrmm... Harumphmmmmmmmmm..."

No story on this guy yet, because I felt like i did such a garbage job on him. I need to learn how to handle Vallejo paints, still. =(

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I painted a thing.

It's my Imp for Frostgrave :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
According to Dakka, Northstar are releasing a set of female soldiers for Frostgrave in a couple of months. I wonder how much interchangeability there will be between the other box sets or, if they're going to be their own unique thing?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LashLightning posted:

They call them 'plastic', so I'd guess we'd be seeing a full box of 20 lady-adventurers.

This would be my assumption, as well. It'll be interesting to see what they've come up with, since there haven't been any previews shown yet.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a huge fan of their barbarians and i still need to pick up their cultists and gnolls. I was thinking of picking up their Oathmark stuff but when they were doing their pre orders, i just didn't have the dosh.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hear this is a good source of female minis that are bereft of boob plate.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross-post!

Irate Tree posted:

Thread, meet Thaddeus, the wizard!

As all wizards who desire to find and access the frozen city must do, Thaddeus underwent a ritual to learn of its location. It is now ingrained upon his soul and no matter where he is in the world, he will ever be aware of that place, of Felstad...

And he was the last mini i needed to paint for my starting warband! :)
I'll get a group shot at some point. The weather isn't really helping and I still need to varnish.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here are group shots of the warband!

You can really tell who gets outside more between them, eh?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recently got a hold of the Cultists and Gnolls!

They're both slightly more fiddly kits but for different reasons. The Cultists are fiddly, because you need to cut left hands off to attach different ones. Nothing Revell plastic glue doesn't solve, though.

The Gnolls, on the other hand; two of them are separated at the waist, so you need to line them up to not look off and the heads don't have the greatest range of motion. That said, though, they still come together quite well and hell, who else sells multi-part gnolls in plastic?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spectralent posted:

Ah nice, so there's no expansion rules or anything?

There are books for extra missions, items and new soldiers. There are no rules for factions - use what you want! The intent of the system is that you can make a force with whatever models you want. The reason i'm sticking (mostly) to the Osprey line is because, they're nice, simple minis that I can enjoy painting =)

The guy from Epic Duck Studios made a force using Reapers Mouslings. It's cute as gently caress =3

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 12, 2018

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New Snakemen going on pre-order March 1st on Nickstarter.

I love them :3:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cross-post from the minis painting thread.

Irate Tree posted:

Thread, meet the small construct.

Found amidst a long dead menagerie, this creature succumbed to a parasite, which culminated in the prodigious growth sprouting from its back. The wizard, ever the pragmatist, saw the potential in this being's state and gave it new life and purpose - as a mobile hygienic dispenser.
"It has life but does it feel? Does it dream? Is it aware of what it has become or, is it forever in a restless fugue from which it may never wake?"

If you hadn't guessed, the colour scheme was based on Hollow Knight. My little tribute to an amazing game :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The snakemen are going to be on 30mm bases, apparently? :shrug:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nash posted:

Rather odd. I liked the look of the prototype snakemen but not the final product.

I am though really looking forward to the Bronze Age soldiers to have a pack.

Yeah, not all the metals are the greatest but the plastics seem good. The big, monster snake thing with the four arms looks awesome.
Which soldiers are those?

Top of the page!?!?!??!!

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 24, 2018

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LashLightning posted:

Bronze-age civilizations have been mentioned to exist in parts of the Archipelago. The warring Drichean are named, and they've had a metal "test piece" made that they've given out with the Nickstarters for Ghost Archipelago and now the recent Snakemen plastics. Apparently they'll be getting a plastic set themselves, as will stone-aged "tribals", at some point.

That sounds all kinds of awesome.
I didn't end up picking up GA yet, since i wanted to focus on my FG dudes.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, i'd love to see an art book for both settings :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally get to spend money on Bad Squido's latest kickstarter. Going to have a bear-skinned barbarian on my force, amongst other things :D

Although, the bear-skinned ladies with punch gloves seemed to have gone missing :(

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
News from Northstar; they'll be showcasing their 3up prototypes of female soldiers for Frostgrave, as well as the human faction for Oathmark, at Salute.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm seriously gonna have to paint up some new figures for FG here before long. Been feeling the itch to venture into the frozen city again.

Yes, you should! Share your warband and creatures! :D

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice, which range is he from? I love the work you did on his base :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crossbows are great as a static gunline but if you need to start moving anywhere, it might get a bit tricky. Especially if the other wizard starts throwing up walls of fog or whatever. The thieves, while quick, don't lend themselves well to fighting and will always inflict one point less in damage. I know the intent is to not fight with them if you can help it but the opposing player will find ways to get to grips with them. Also, I believe you can only have one type of summons on the board at anytime; one Imp, one demon, one zombie, etc.

But also, basically what Vitamin P said; Frostgrave isn't a hyper competitive game like, say, WarmaHordes, it's more of a "lets go on an adventure and die horribly!" sort of a game, like Mordheim! That's how I look at it, at least :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had been collecting Warhammer 40k and Fantasy(RIP) for almost 20 years and the Frostgrave plastics are just a nice, refreshing change for me. Simple, straight forward, no gross amounts of detail while still being characterful and no fragile, sticky-out bits to break - just fun little minis :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope that's not all they brought to Salute :ohdear:

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just put an order in for a butt tonne of bases. Like, ALL of the bases. Shouldn't have need for anymore for a century or two.

jodai posted:

Has anyone tried the mecha variant that is in the second Frostgrave magazine. I just heard about it today, I'm pretty interested.

I haven't sadly, no. My experience with mech games is restricted to the PC, mostly. Seems like it would be interesting to play, though.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rankin/Bass elves are up for pre-order.
http://northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=257&cat=176&page=1

God, i wish they were still in business. Flight of Dragons and The Last Unicorn were my favourites growing up.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was trying to decide what size of base I should stick a boar on, which led to a little research on the animal. Boars can get bloody massive! They can reach up to 80cm - 120cm in height, up to the shoulder and over 5' in length, weighing anywhere from 90kg to 220kg, depending on the species.

I think a 30mm base will suit him well.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're not wrong.
I'm always left in awe, every time I see some of the larger crocs. Just that realisation that - if you met this thing out and about and it didn't like the look of you; that's it, you're done.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anyone was interested; I came across a company that seems to do 28mm dog miniatures (that aren't german shepards and pugs) that look to fit on 25mm bases.

https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/picts/products/picts-scots-warhounds
https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/picts/products/pict-scots-handler-and-warhounds

I think I'm going to order some at some point in the near future.

Edit: Also, this sword and board lady is drat fine. Love the fur-trimmed cloak about the shoulders.
https://footsoreminiatures.co.uk/collections/late-roman-romano-british-early-byzantine/products/lady-guinevere

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 6, 2018

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Putting my new bases to use!

The current state of my bestiary :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finished my boar :)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The next supplement is being released at the end of June!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_tQ_YWq9IM

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LashLightning posted:

Thanks for supplying the thread with content, IrateTree. I've been having trouble sitting down to get some work down on my warbands. :(

Anyway, preview from the author - new experience table! The issue of combat-wizards being inherently better than buffer-wizards is being tackled with that the wizard won't get XP for defeating enemy wizards, apprentices or soldiers: Author's blog.

Not gonna lie, I was getting embarrassed with my face showing up so many times down the end of the page :ohdear:

That's a good change. Make every kind of spell count, not just fireballs :)

Also, rats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, i think it only refers to the original rules and tables, rather than including them, with their news rules additions/options.