Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

:siren:Frostgrave ships on July 21, 2015:siren:
(This may be a little anemic until then.)

Frostgrave - Fantasy Wargames in the Frozen City

Amidst the frozen ruins of an ancient city, wizards of different creeds are locked in a ferocious struggle. Each of them must seek to discover the treasures of a fallen empire and master long-forgotten but incredibly powerful magical lore. Each player takes on the role of a wizard from one of ten schools of magic, and builds his band of followers. While the wizard's apprentice will usually accompany his master, more than a dozen other henchmen types are available for hire, from lowly thugs to heavily armored knights and stealthy assassins. Wizards can build their magical knowledge by unlocking ancient secrets, with the potential to learn up to 80 spells in total. As players gain power and wealth, they can develop their headquarters on the outskirts of the city, turning one of a dozen different basic locations into bastions of their art, equipping them with alchemical laboratories, mystical forges, astronomical telescopes and other magical resources. While individual games of Frostgrave are quick and can easily be played in an hour or two, it is by connecting these games into an ongoing campaign, that players will find the most enjoyment. The scenarios given in the book are merely the beginning of the limitless, thrilling adventures that can be found amidst the ruins of the lost city.
TL;DR You play Wizards and their hired warbands, looting an ancient frozen city. It's a wizard gang-war, and the monstrous locals don't like it.

:siren:The full game is a 96-page hardcover that costs less than :10bux::10bux: on Amazon, and you probably own more than enough models to play it already.

Frostgrave is an upcoming game written by Joseph McCullough. As far as I can tell, this is his first full published game, but not his first published work. According to the Osprey:

Osprey Publishing posted:

Joseph A. McCullough is the author of several non-fiction books including A Pocket History of Ireland and Osprey’s Zombies: A Hunter’s Guide. In addition, his fantasy short stories have appeared in various books and magazines such as Black Gate, Lords of Swords, and Adventure Mystery Tales. He also co-wrote The Grey Mountains, a supplement for the Middle-Earth Role-Playing game.
He maintains and regularly updates a blog at http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/ (which is where much of the info in this OP comes from.)

The art is done by Dmitry Burmak, and it's gorgeous. Osprey has an interview with him here, and you can check out a small gallery of his work here.

Models:

Frostgrave doesn't care what models you use! But they licenced some badass ones from North Star, and you're going to want them.

This box set of hard plastic figures allows you to build 20 different Soldiers to play in the game Frostgrave. To help you design the perfect Wizard's warband, the box set contains 100 weapon/ arm variants, 40 heads and over 30 pieces of equipment. No two Wizard's warbands should ever be the same!
Available here for £20.00.
North Star also produced a bunch of wizards and apprentices, which can be seen at the bottom of this (click for big) image:

GW's Empire Free Company

(GW Free Company_
I have a feeling that these guys will also be a popular option. (You can get these just about anywhere... for now)

SAGA

If you want something a little more historical-looking, SAGA figures might fit the bill. Many are already dressed for cold weather because they come from the land of the ice and snow.

And don't forget about Bones.

Terrain
I've been looking at stuff! And it seems like the following things might be the fastest way to go from zero-to-Frostgrave:

Pegasus Hobbies Gothic City Buildings Large Set. This is a box packed full of 3" fantasy city walls for about $30. You get quite a bit of it.

Frontline Gaming F.A.T. Mat Alpine 4'x4' mat is perfect if it fits into your budget, but linoleum tile squares are a great bargain alternative.

For scatter terrain, goon Germ produces some of the best resin walls and obstacles I've owned. ($13 a bag.)

If you're on a budget, World Works Games offers up some great looking print-and-play options. The Streets of Himmelveil set is clearly your best bet, but the Oubliette of Peril has a nice cold-pallet stone theme happening, and emphasizes walls and arches.

And finaly, If your two greatest passions are plaster casting and Lego, check out Hirst Arts right now.

Other stuff:

TALES OF THE FROZEN CITY is a short-story compilation, written by the game's designer.

Long ago, the great city of Felstad sat at the centre of a magical empire. Its towering spires, labyrinthine catacombs and immense libraries were the wonder of the age, and potions, scrolls and mystical items of all descriptions poured from its workshops. Then, one cataclysmic night, a mistake was made. In some lofty tower or dark chamber, a foolish wizard unleashed a magic too powerful to control. A storm rose up, an epic blizzard that swallowed the city whole, burying it deep and leaving the empire as nothing more than a vast, frozen wasteland. The empire shattered, and the magic of the world faded. As the centuries came and went, Felstad passed from history to legend and on into myth. Only a few wizards, clinging to the last remnants of magical knowledge, still believed that the lost city had ever actually existed. But their faith was rewarded. After a thousand years, the fell winter has passed. The snows have receded, and Felstad has been uncovered. Its buildings lie in ruins, overrun by undead creatures and magical constructs, the legacy of the empire's experiments. It is an evil, dangerous place. To the few hardy souls who inhabit the nearby villages, the city has acquired a new name, 'Frostgrave', and it is shunned by all right-thinking people. For those who seek power and riches, however, it is an unparalleled opportunity, a deadly maze concealing secrets of knowledge long forgotten...This new fiction anthology collects ten stories of wizards and adventures as they venture into the ruins of the Frozen City.
TL;DR Do you like fluff? This is the fluff.

Thaw of the Lich Lord

Thaw of the Lich Lord is a complete campaign for Frostgrave that will challenge both new and veteran players. Through a series of linked scenarios, players discover the existence of a new power in the Frozen City, one who was old when the great city was still young, and who saw both its rise and its disastrous fall. Warbands will confront the Lich Lord's minions, race against his agents to seize possession of mysterious artefacts, and brave the perils of Frostgrave in search of his lair. Eventually, they will need to muster all their courage to venture into the depths of the city and face the Lich Lord himself.
Not all wizards will seek to stop the Lich Lord, however, and full rules for giving into his corruption and following the dark road to becoming an undead lich are presented for those who crave power and immortality above all else. While the campaign presents many new threats against which wizards and their warbands must test themselves, including an expanded bestiary, it also offers additional resources, such as new henchmen that can be recruited and unique magical treasures that can spell the difference between survival and oblivion.

TL;DR Undead expansion! Liches get stitches in the frozen hood. Lich Lord! Lich... players? (Not too much is known about this now.) THIS NOVEMBER

Reception:

"... I urge those of us who remember the AD&D adventures of our youth, have ever read a fantasy novel or seen a fantasy movie, to seek out a copy of this tome and sally forth on the road to adventure!" --Wargames Illustrated

Wargames Illustrated has an optimistic blurb, and an article in (I believe) this month's issue.

"This book contains everything you need to build your warband, play a long campaign and have a great time with it. Its a fantastic looking book, the artwork is beautiful, and it is full of stunning painted models... a fine addition to any gaming shelf." --The Garage Gamers

The Garage Gamers have a pretty favorable one up.

"[Frostgrave] allows you to play a game that has the narrative feel of an adventure by J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, or George R. R. Martin, rather than play a medieval wargame with spells and monsters added on. The simplicity of the rules systems also contributes to this atmosphere of heroic fantasy. Frostgrave is one of those gameswhere the rules allow a game to be played, rather than the game being an enactment of a rules system." --Wargames: Soldiers and Strategy

"Frostgrave has a real flavour of the old school, fun tabletop adventuring that was prevalent when I first got into D&D... Recommended – especially for the money." --Miniatures Wargames Magazine

moths fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mechanics
Frostgrave is D20 based, with spells on cards and ... we'll know more when it's out.

Warbands
Your warband consists of a Wizard, his or her apprentice, and up to eight piles of hired muscle. Joseph gives some advice on his blog for how they'll be kitted out. If you want to start gluing your plastic mans together now, here are some possible options:

War Hound 10gc Animal, Cannot carry treasure or items
Thug 20gc Hand Weapon
Thief 20gc Dagger
Archer 50gc Bow, Dagger, Leather Armour
Crossbowman 50gc Crossbow, Dagger, Leather Armour
Infantryman 50gc Two-Handed Weapon, Leather Armour
Tracker 80gc Staff, Bow, Leather Armour
Man-at-Arms 80gc Hand Weapon, Shield, Leather Armour
Treasure Hunter 80gc Hand Weapon, Dagger, Leather Armour
Knight 100gc Hand Weapon, Shield, Mail Armour
Templar 100gc Two-Handed Weapon, Mail Armour
Ranger 100gc Bow, Hand Weapon, Leather Armour
Barbarian 100gc Two Handed Weapon
Apothecary 100gc Staff, starts each game carrying a healing potion
Marksman 100gc Crossbow, Hand Weapon, Mail Armour

(Wizards start with 500gc, an apprentice costs 200)

Campaign
The Campaign system strings your games together, in a model reminiscent of some beloved past skirmish games. You can capture territory and establish a base of operations, soldiers can presumably die or become mangled, your Wizard can grow in strength and learn new spells :smugwizard:
(More when it comes out.)

Shopping List!!!

5-8 Soldiers From
Wardog
Thief - just a Dagger
Thug - Hand weapon (i.e. Sword, Axe, Mace club, etc)
Archer - Bow, Light Armour (i.e. Leather)
Crossbowman - Crossbow, Light Armour
Infantryman - Two-Handed Weapon (i.e. Two handed sword, Ax, etc), Light Armour
Tracker - Staff, Bow, Light Armour
Man-at Arms - Hand weapon, Shield, Light Armour
Treasure Hunter - Hand weapon, Dagger, Light Armour
Knight - Hand weapon, Shield, Heavy Armour (i.e. Chainmail)
Templar - Two-Handed weapon, Heavy Armour
Ranger - Bow, Hand weapon, Light Armour
Barbarian - Two Handed Weapon
Apothecary - Staff, Potion
Marksman - Crossbow, Hand weapon, Heavy Armour.

5 Treasure Tokens (4 Normal and 1 Special)

Up to one each of
A Wardog (For a Kennel)
An Imp, Minor Demon and Major Demon (For Demon Summoning)
An Imp (For Imp)
A Zombie (For Raise Zombie)
A Bear, Snow Leopard or Ice Toad (For Animal Companion) or a Wolf but wolves are less effective Snow Leopards.
A Small, Medium or Large Construct (for Animate Construct)
An extra Soldier (For each of being based in an Inn and Illusionary Soldier)
A Treasure Token (For each of Reveal Secret and Fool's Gold)

For Spell Effects you might want:
A three inch radius rough ground template (for Mud)
A three inch diameter circle of protection (for Circle of Protection)
1+ one inch radius insect clouds (for Plague of Insects)
A 6" long x3" high x 1" wide Wall of Fog (for Fog)
A 6" long x3" high Wall (for Wall)
A Wizard Eye (for Wizard Eye)
3 explosive runes (For Explosive Rune)
1+ skeletal hand reaching out of the ground markers (For Bones of the Earth)
1+ Doorway sized holes (for Crumble)
Some way to represent figures under the effects of Beauty, Glow, Monstrous Form, Mind Control, Plane Walk, Strength, Shield, Elemental Hammer, Enchant Weapon, Enchant Armour, Time Store, Fast Act, Decay, Slow, Fleet Feet and various levels of Curse

For Scenarios and Random Encounters you may also want:
Buildings including 4 broken walls, two ruined buildings, a tower, a mausoleum and six huts, four 2 inch teleporter discs and a well
8 or so Skeletons
A Genie
6 Statues
2 Giant Worms
2 Armoured Skeletons
2 Ghouls
2 Zombies
A Wraith
A Vampire
A White Gorilla
A Bear
A Boar
4 Giant Rats
2 Ice spiders
2 Wild Dogs
2 Wolves
2 Ice toads
2 Trolls
A Frost Giant
A Small Construct
A Medium Construct
A Large Construct
An Imp
A Demon
A Large Demon
A Werewolf (Wolfman form)

moths fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 24, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Warband Complete Gallery:

Springfield Fatts posted:

Get out there and snap some shots of your filthy scavengers, son :justpost:

Still yet even more resources!

Something of an F.A.Q. is collected in this Google Doc!

Monopthalmus posted:

It's not listed in the OP (maybe I missed it later in the thread), but I just discovered these nice and cheap PDFs for winter ruins terrain.

http://www.heroicmaps.com/?p=819

There's also sets for more wilderness areas as well. I think I'm going to glue these onto 12 10x10 pieces of foam core. Seems like one of the cheapest ways to get some decent, well-suited, and re-configurable terrain.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Frostgrave Battlescribe Repository update 2 rolled out. Contains: every single spell in the game and ability to select them for scrolls, grimoires and your spells known for your wizard. Does not contain: magic items, magic weapons or armor (because they're a pain to do right now since every single soldier has their own selection loadout to an extent) and also because I'm back to warhammer repositories. Enjoy until I get around to finishing it!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23274182/Frostgrave/index.bsi

ParsleyTroll posted:

The mini-campaign The Hunt For The Golem is out! Three linked scenarios and some new treasure, a lot of it real neat for enchanters. I like it!

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/156445/Frostgrave-Hunt-for-the-Golem?site=wgv

moths fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 7, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah the Nickstarter thing initially put me off, too. Everything about this looks awesome, and I'm really excited for it.

IDK if it's going to be a big enough game to merit its own thread, but I'll be happy if people post pics of their warbands and wizards.

e:

S.J. posted:

Are there any examples of gameplay anywhere?

There's a short battle report here but I haven't seen any videos.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd try to ask interview questions about the design process, the story behind the game, what fluff isn't in the book, what got cut, etc.

More information about the game would be awesome, but we'll have the book in a week so much of it would be redundant.

TKIY posted:

Once this bad boy shows up, it should be a pretty kickass table.

This is a thing of beauty.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really hope this is an homage figure.

That's how you do an homage figure, not BAM IN YOUR FACE HERE'S THE CAST OF FIREFLY BUT ZOMBIES.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The "official" undead bundle is just an assortment of Mantic undead. For the price, I don't think you could do much better (bones excluded.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

As much as I dislike the D20 in game design, I recognize its power as nerd catnip.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pre-crossposing this from the Oath thread! Just finished my WSI walls tonight. This ought to be enough scatter for a 4'x4' table, but that probably won't stop me from buying / building more... The crate piles look useful in everything, and I've got a coupon? Well ok then.

I'm still trying to settle on a Wizard figure, but it looks like I'll be using my SAGA Irish and probably a pair of Warlord Games' Celtic druids. The book cannot get here fast enough.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:toot: I just got my book! This is unconventionally legible. It also straddles a nice line between attractive picture book and games manual. Can't wait to dig in, but... I have to wait to dig in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I kinda dig the idea that your mercenary hired muscle is actually this wildly unpredictable rabble. Like, the Wizards are tourists in GRIMTOWN who maybe hired professional soldiers, murderhobos, or complete posers... and that's what you're actually finding out with D20 rolls.

"Oh yeah, Old One Eye Larry? He was raised by owlbears. That's why he don't hold a sword right. But you just point him at some templars and see if he don't feast on their guts!"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It sounds like there are two separate ideas that make for a confusing read:
- jumping is part of normal movement, and
- no jumping movement can exceed 4"

I still haven't had much chance to sit down with the rules, so this may be crazy talk.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

jodai posted:

I think that the list of spell markers, models and terrain you'll need that someone posted a few pages back should go into the OP. I am going to start working on some stuff to make the game pretty and that list is a great reference.

I agree! OP updated.

I also found some really cool 4Ground fantasy buildings, but they're very expensive and not terribly suited to "ancient city under ice"... they're more European split timber deals. So instead I linked to Hirst arts, which is :perfect: for the setting.

e: and some other things that were mentioned along the way.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 24, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You could roll armor into actual plot armor if you don't mind that level of abstraction. Just count it as a swell nickname or other distinctive feature that sets him apart from the other mooks.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the Oath thread!

I decided to go with lineoleum tile for my table surface, because in my heart I am both cheap and lazy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Dregs posted:

(edit) never mind. Half the Celts are shirtless.

Warlord's Celt range actually includes a really great selection of completely dressed women fighters in badass poses. I'm eventually going to pick some up to fill out my SAGA Irish, since Dark Ages women apparently did as much fighting as men.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes. The "official" Frostgrave undead pack is just a box of repackaged Mantic undead.

I never thought anyone would ever do modular plastic cultists, and I can't wait to see the sprues.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

It's not listed in the OP (maybe I missed it later in the thread), but I just discovered these nice and cheap PDFs for winter ruins terrain.

It is now!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Frostgrave Battlescribe Repository update 2 rolled out.

And so is this!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You guys have started to finish painting warbands, and I'd like to put a forums gallery into the OP. If you want in, just post a single group photo with WARBAND COMPLETE and I'll edit it in there!

e: I'll link it to your post if you want to put up a more detailed mini-gallery, close-ups, wizard profiles, etc.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

From the blurb, it sounds like captains are something like 4e warlords. Which could be incredible or severely toned down to appease nerds.

E: I'd actually prefer to see a full-blown badass swordman who is powerful enough to use as your "wizard." But it's a game about wizards and that's a bridge too far for too many gamers.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 19, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Solo dungeon edition sounds like the Diablo simulator I've been waiting a long, long time for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I completely missed Rangers, but it looks like it. I imagine the dungeon elements will play harder in Perilous Dark - I'm hoping for something like fantasy Space Hulk, but it's way too early to tell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those dollar store bags of prank flies look surprisingly good painted up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Did you get them from a legit source? Some recasters use resin copies of entire plastic sprues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's some pretty everything!

With everyone being vaccinated and non-person gaming back on the table (:haw:) we're looking at doing Rangers of Shadow Deep with a Castlevania aesthetic.

Building up the monster library has been fun, and last night I made 20 giant flies for cheap:

It's a $1 bag of Halloween / prank flies, skewered on a hot nail (use pliers to hold it in a candle flame), then super glued to a coin. Can't wait to paint & base them! They're also weighted like weebles and won't fall over.