Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Thinking of putting together a Slaaneshi-themed warband - because I can use some of the Oldhammer minis I've been slowly grabbing from eBay.

What would people suggest for spells etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I've been looking at the spell list etc. and thought about starting a Summoner, using this mini.

As for spells, here's what I've thought of:

Summoner - Imp, Leap, Summon Demon
Aligned - Bone Dart, Brew Potion, Elemental Hammer
Neutral - Beauty, Heal

Does this look like a good starting point, or should I go with something else?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Not my painting - I intend to make mine a bit more obviously Slaanesh, i.e. pink :v:

Summon Demon should hopefully mean I can use my Daemonette minis, as well as the Oldhammer Keeper of Secrets I sniped off eBay today.

quote:

Looks like a good set of spells, the only thing I would change is switching brew potion to fog, but thats just personal preference. :)

Grand. I figure I can use the Apprentice to spam Bone Dart, and then the Wizard can fire off the more interesting spells, like dropping an Imp on an opponent's treasure.

Am I right in thinking I can cast Brew Potion in between matches, and if I don't use it I can then sell or hoard potions? Could I brew a Demon in a Bottle and then cast Summon Demon as well?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Quick question - can Leap be used aggressively, i.e. targeting an enemy mini? Seems like a better version of Push, as it can't be stopped by a Will check and stops the miniature from having any other action.

quote:

LEAP
Summoner / 8 / Line of Sight
The target makes an immediate 10” move in any direction, including vertically. This move is not hindered by any terrain unless that terrain is over 10” high. Target may take no other action this turn. This spell cannot be used to move a figure into combat.

If I were to move them 10" straight up, do they take falling damage?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Bah, I was going to use that as part of a control mechanism. Might have to rethink my spell choice now. Cheers though!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I'm glad of it.

Being able to no-save auto-kill guys with the magic murder trampoline is... a bit much.

Well, I figured they wouldn't take falling damage due to it not being mentioned, whereas it's mention in Push. But I did want to move enemy models 10" back, or behind difficult terrain or towards my dudes, and then negate their activation. I guess that's asking too much for a difficulty 8 spell though :v:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Played my first game last night, really enjoyed it. Am I right in thinking that if I use an Inn and a Kennel, I can field a warband of 12?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Had a really good game at my local club last night, a face off between two Summoners, mine was level 9 and my opponent's was level 7.

Things I learned:

- Enchanted weapons are KILLER, enchanted crossbows doubly so.
- Elite infantry IS worth upgrading to when you have the money. Maybe I shouldn't have spent all my previous winnings on base upgrades, because although I can field 10 minions, quantity doesn't always win.
- I don't need to bind a demon just because my opponent has summoned one miles away and he doesn't have bind demon. That wizard phase could have been used to do something more useful, like cast Beauty. The lesser demon really didn't do much and was killed before it could do any damage. That said, causing an Imp to switch sides and act as a roadblock against my opponent was a great way of tying up two elites for a turn or two.
- Getting nothing but grimoires (many that I won't use) for most of my treasure sucks when your opponent has won a lot of Magic Items, including those enchanted crossbows.
- It might be better to use level ups for lowering the casting roll of a spell instead of learning lots of new ones via grimoires, especially as I'm mostly just spamming Leap instead of using them.
- I really need to cast Beauty early on in the game if my opponent has Enchanted Bolt. My wizard was taken down to 1 health in 1 shot, and only survived because I've used a level to increase his health after every game.
- Some out of game spells can be cast by your apprentice too. Hello Brew Potion.

But! Now I have a Summoning Circle and the necessary spells to use it. Going to try and lower the casting roll for Summon sufficiently that there's a chance I can bring a Greater Demon into battle with me.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Osprey Joe has written a new blog piece, with thoughts about how Frostgrave has gone and some possible rules changes/additions.

I haven't really felt the problems with "#1 - Killing stuff" but then I've only played with my Summoner, who can spam Bone Dart if he needs to. I think I spam Leap the most though, to get as much treasure as I can, which ties into "#2 Treasure".

I quite like "#3 Spell Casting", even though it'd slow down my rise in XP for spamming Leap.

I'm intrigued by "#4 Scenario Goals" and this "subplot" table. One of the reasons I enjoyed my last game was because of the random encounter table - even if it only triggered twice, leading to my poor crossbowman being ganged up on by the local fauna.

The fact that the author wants to hear feedback from players is a real plus point to this game.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

Seems we're both HATE members... I replied to your post on Facebook about that.

Now I have to guess who you are. 50% chance!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Well, Dark Alchemy is out. I've not looked at the single-player/coop campaign yet, but the potions are interesting - Brew Potion is going to be even more powerful now.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I'm a bit gutted that Demon in a Bottle has been exorcised from the list :haw: because it means I can't pull off this trick any more (which I only used once, but I thought it could a fun tactic)

* Rush a model towards treasure
* When nearby, instead of taking a run move, pop the bottle
* Spawn Minor Demon, use that to rush further forward in Soldier Phase
* Next turn, original model grabs treasure and heads off table while Minor Daemon draws fire or attacks anybody else who was gunning for that treasure

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Bloody Hell Telekinesis is annoying. Played two games last night and for the first few turns TK spam would drag treasure far away from my side of the board.

First game ended with an equal treasure split, but I had to roll on the injury table 4 times, including for my newly-bought Captain.

Second game I tabled my opponent, with the Captain taking down the enemy Wizard - after a tense moment where he Mind Controlled the Captain before the Captain could charge. I managed to Dispel that with the Apprentice, which was the tensest roll in the game. She was down to 1H and needed to roll 16+ for casting, but thankfully rolled 18! Grabbed 4 treasures in the end. Like my previous warband I can't seem to roll for magic items/weapons and instead end up with loads of potions or grimoires. A bit annoying considering I have Brew Potion on both wizards.

As for the injuries from the second game? My opponent rolled 4 Dead, and 2 Badly Hurt - including for his Wizard. He's not got a lot of GC kicking about, so I might just have ruined a warband.

How useful are people finding Captains? The Group Activation is nice for combat, but that's about it. I think they can be used for psyching out opponents quite a lot, as they draw a lot of fire but aren't really that much of a threat. Might be worth turning them into tanks with high armour and health, and use them to Group Activate elite infantry and try to get them into multiple combat ASAP.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Managed to pick up a load of GW scenery last night for £30 - the Sanctum Imperialis, some other 40K building that looks like it came from the same set, the old craters box and some trees. Hoping to base them so I can use them for Frostgrave and Necromunda/This Is Not A Test. Not sure how I'll paint them, mind.

Our club has been updating the tables and scenery, so we now have mats that go on plain boards instead of an array of textured boards in different colours. The mats are looking pretty good.

My game last night was brutal. My opponent had an Elementalist who didn't have any ranged attacks aside from Destructive Sphere, so once I had picked off his Marksman in the first turn, I thought I'd dominate. Although I made most of my spell/ranged rolls, he pretty much slaughtered anybody he could get into combat with. At the end of the game we had two models left each - both Wizards on low health and a minion. Both Apprentices and my Captain were taken out, but thankfully all made the recovery roll.

Treasure turned up more potions and another grimoire. Really wish magic items/weapons had a better weighting, the last thing a Witch needs are more bloody potions.

Now I've got a stock of Potions of Health, I'm going to use Brew Potion to make Explosive Cocktails. It's a real surprise to your opponent when a Thief suddenly casts Grenade...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

My starter warband is pretty much:

Wizard + Apprentice
1 x Hound
1 x Thug
2 x Thief
2 x Infantry
1 x Archer
1 x Crossbowman

Leaves 30 GC to either upgrade a minion or give the wizard/apprentice a sword+dagger.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

You only get XP for killing scenario monsters if it's listed in the scenario, e.g. The Worm Hunt.

Captains get +10XP for each neutral creature they take out of the game, so it's easy to house rule that to apply to Wizards as well.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Think I'm going to dust out my old Warhammer Quest tiles and give the dungeon setting a go...

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

InK105 posted:

This is a question that arose from an rear end in a top hat in our gaming group, but what is to stop you from putting the models on 50mm bases since there is no base size restriction, or have they come out and said that there is a restriction. Right now I'm using 30mm bases since I had a few laying around.

Nothing to stop you, but it might mean cover will be more difficult, or it'll shut down areas you can go.

Personally I use standard GW size for cheap minions, and go up a size if they're supposed to be elite or I don't like the way they look on the moulded bases I make.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Started a new Sigilist warband yesterday. Thought it'd go badly, as I only have one missile attack and it's on a 12+. Went really well, partly because I took crossbows on my wizard and apprentice. Although you don't get the XP for casting, it can be pretty vicious having backup missile attacks, especially if you're low on health and don't want to risk a tricky roll. Glow really helps too, +7 on a crossbow hit (after damage).

Absorb Knowledge and Create Grimoire look like they could be hilarious. Passed one check of Create Grimoire, and with the money from the sale and looted treasure, meant I could upgrade some minions to Treasure Hunters, a Man At Arms and buy a Marksman. Pretty tasty for a level 2 warband.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Cassa posted:

Friends are moving to this and wondering if there's any good advice out there for starting?

I normally start with

Wiz + App
1 x Hound
1 x Thug
2 x Thieves
2 x Missile (1 Archer, 1 Crossbow)
2 x Infantry

This should give you 30GC spare, which you can use to upgrade one of those dudes or buy weapons for your Wiz/App. A dagger is useful if you have a hand weapon as it gives you +1 Fight - it's more useful for the defensive bonus than actually fighting with. Crossbows are great backup weapons if you don't have low casting missile attacks, or your Wiz/App is low on health.

Choose whichever school appeals to you most. Try and get a nice spread of spells, make sure you have at least one each of missile attack, out-of-game, buff/debuff, movement. It's worth including one initially high casting spell, so you can improve it as you level up.

Probably my favourite out-of-game spell is Brew Potion. Giving Explosive Cocktail to a low-level mook can be a nasty surprise for your opponent when that lowly Thief suddenly casts Grenade. Demon In A Bottle is hilarious, you can run a Thief forward towards treasure and when anybody gets close he just pops the bottle for instant cover, or a model that can activate that turn and chase off/tie up anybody gunning for the Thief/treasure.

Weirdo posted:

Does Frostgrave care if my units are on square or circular bases? I wanna use my gnolls in kings of war as well so I can rank them up alongside my orcs, who are on 25mm square bases.

Minis and base sizes are without any standards. I generally put special dudes on slightly bigger bases, but that's partly because I think the minis I use look silly on standard 25mm bases once I've put sculpted bases on top of them.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Not according to the errata:

quote:

Enchant Armour – A figure must be wearing armour for it to be enchanted. Magic armour may not be enchanted.

Same deal with Enchant Weapon and weapons.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Bears are brilliant, as they remain with the warband after a successful casting. I really want to cast Possess on one and have a daemonic bear tearing up poo poo across the board.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Bought the Arcane Locations download the other day, went through the checkout process and realise I'd bought the ePub version instead of the PDF. Fired over an email to customer support and they're refusing to change the format, while also getting sniffy because I mentioned I wanted to print it out so I could actually use it while playing games.

It's a £2.99 purchase, so nothing to get too cross over, but this is making me hesitant to buy more from Osprey just because they're being such jobsworth cunts about it.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

There are lots of ePub to PDF converters. I have often had hassles with digital books no matter who they come from, your experience is not unique. They are so terrified about piracy that they hobble the use by the legitimate owner, it's really annoying.

They also seem to be burying their heads in the sand about people printing out PDFs, and are taking the same lovely approach of penalising paying customers as putting unskippable anti-piracy ads on DVDs and Blurays.

Zark the Damned posted:

Re the PDF thing, it sucks but I'd suspect they've experienced a lot of issues with people 'accidentally' ordering the wrong format so they end up with both the epub and pdf.

Ultimately though it doesn't matter, as selling online like that has gently caress-all overheads. Watermark both, if you see a copy floating about on download sites, try to track down the original customer.

I don't want to come across as the entitled gamer stereotype, but I work for an independent music label/online distributer. We have a lot more to worry about with regards to leaks and online downloads, and yet our customer service is far less strict (and knowledgeable about international copyright law) than they are.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Some information about Forgotten Pacts has been released. As somebody with a pretty nasty Summoner warband, I'm looking forward to this book.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I've had very little clarification about Beauty. Asking about it on the FB group, the consensus seems to be Beauty only kicks in when somebody tries to attack a model with it. If a model with Beauty attacks, the other model will still defend.

Whether this defense causes damage was not made clear.

It's still a great spell though, and if you roll a high cast on it, it's often worth burning off health to take it over 20 - or 24 if you're worried about Elemental Bolt.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

That's how I've played it, but I try to bring up Beauty with my opponent before the game because it's really not explained very well. Plus I want to waltz my witch out of combat next turn if that happens...

There really ought to be rules for fleeing combat.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Still having the odd game of this thanks to a casual campaign a friend's running. Last night we had a three-way and it was brutal. Elemental Hammer on a crossbow is nasty when it lands a hit, and meant I one-shotted an apprentice. Highlight though was casting possession on my Captain - he becomes +4 Fight, and with his +2 Fight two-handed weapon and a friendly assist, it stacks to +8 Fight and +2 damage when he hits. Using his Furious Attack would give a one-off bonus of +3 Fight on top of that. He was pretty much chewing through anybody that dared come near him.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

side_burned posted:

A friend and I are going to give Frost Grave a run and I was playing around with the warband builder and made two list wanted feedback (I am pretty sure I am over thinking it). The idea is play summoner and use summons to run interference while using thieves to grab treasure and to spam crossbows to cover thieves; steal and leave with as much treasure as I can to hell. I have no idea if that is a valid tactic or not.

What are your spells? As a list is worthless without knowing what they are.

As somebody who's played Summoner quite a few times - I wouldn't rely on summoning to actually get you ahead. It takes time, XP and money to make it reliable and useful, and even then you're limited to one bound demon per spellcaster. Imps are easy to kill but can act as great speedhumps if you place them well. Minor demons are slightly better speedhumps and I've never managed to grab a major, because you have to spend a lot of XP improving the spell and still roll really well.

Or roll really badly and have it aggro straight into your wizard :haw:

I've posted my typical starting list in this thread before, as well as my experiences with running Summoner. Might help.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Supposedly there's going to be a FG expansion on KS in June, with 6 new schools of magic? Only heard this second-hand from a friend in the pub after Salute, so gently caress knows if he meant Oathmark or not.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

spectralent posted:

My immediate feeling is that it's hella swingy, which feels like it's for the campaign. poo poo died really easily and I ate a ton of crits but, had it been a campaign, most of my guys are fine and I got away with 200gp and a grimoire, whereas my opponent lost his apprentice and had about 100gc. In a standup fight, it feels like it could do with some bigger mods or more normalised dice so there's fewer times your knight charges a thug and immediately explodes.

Play without crits and it's not quite as bad... my last game did have a hero of a Warhound tank multiple attacks from group activated fighters, and very nearly eat a Wizard though.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

spectralent posted:

Oh, yeah, that was the other big surprise: ranged is just as good at killing stuff as melee in most cases, and doesn't let the other guy hit you back if you fluff. I can see big blobs of archers being VERY good.

Until you have to move to get treasure ;) If ranged attacks are dominating the game, you don’t have enough terrain - there’s even a rule for this!

It’s not a balanced game, but there are a lot of counters to things. Fog can completely screw a ranged heavy band.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

It's this season's (read: eternal winter) must-have item and we all know how fashion conscious the ladies are! :barf:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I've not read the most recent book, but it's pretty much died out at our club. There are still a few people playing the Rangers game but that's about it.

The same design problems that plagued the start still cause a bunch of issues - namely the swinginess of 1D20.

There's supposed to be a new edition in production at the moment. I'd probably wait for that.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

My local club is having a Frostgrave all-dayer, with a campaign written for us by the FG author - who should be attending too.

Can get the details if anybody is interested!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Should probably point out this is in London.