Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mags

I am a congenital optimist.
did you see the newest pics? no jokes here, just super excited to see the first high-res images of pluto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
Qwerinty

by zen death robot
NASA confirms: Pluto is the solar system's cutest planet. Top officials ask for a date, are rebuffed

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

pig slut lisa

irl is good

high-res my rear end, nasa!

pig slut lisa

irl is good

nasa really hosed up by not putting the pictures in the dreamy computer first. that would have looked really cool and how would we have ever known. smooth move eggheads.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
Pluto not actually a planet, but a fractal mass of dogs and eyes. NASA disbanded.

----------------

joke_explainer

So far we're still sane. Hopefully that doesn't change s we look at more detailed pictures.

Thinking this will probably lead to Pluto being reclassified as a planet.

mags

it always will be a planet :3:

paul_soccer12 posted:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Qwerinty posted:

Pluto not actually a planet, but a fractal mass of dogs and eyes. NASA disbanded.

ron color

Qwerinty posted:

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
more like balls

saboten

Qwerinty posted:

thank u bacalou

landy.

joke_explainer posted:

So far we're still sane. Hopefully that doesn't change s we look at more detailed pictures.

why is that?

Al Borland

by XyloJW
isn't pluto already a planet again?

----------------

alnilam

how was this pic taken CAT BRUSH? was it a lil probe buddy?

ty manifisto

mags

i snapped it from my spaceship stateroom

paul_soccer12 posted:

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

pig slut lisa posted:

high-res my rear end, nsa!
already done

i am he

Al Borland posted:

isn't pluto already a planet again?

no

DeepQantas

joke_explainer posted:

Right after Eris and Discordia are renamed back to Xena and Gabrielle

smoobles

pluto sucks

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

smoobles posted:

pluto sucks

fingers crossed ;-*

mags

smoobles posted:

pluto sucks

you suck

paul_soccer12 posted:

mags

what's your favorite planet smoobles? i bet it's something lame and stupid

paul_soccer12 posted:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

i bet it's mercury hah gently caress you mercury you're the planet everyone forgets about when they try to name the planets

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

sure the obvious joke is uranus because of anus but get this uranus is cool and good

dogcrash truther
I like earth. People forget it's a planet and think it's a big flat disc spinning in space but actually it's a planet and a pretty good one at that

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

earth is held up by turtles and i think that's pretty neat

alnilam

earth has a good welcoming committee, it's will smith saying "welcome to earf" and punching you

ty manifisto

alnilam

*will smith voice* hi :)

ty manifisto

DeepQantas

Just don't wear a dress and study quantum mechanics in the middle of the night

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

Bo-Pepper posted:

earth is held up by turtles and i think that's pretty neat

It's nice to be appreciated

DeepQantas

Why a goodbye turtle? Is that what you say when someone falls off the edge?

mags

dogcrash truther posted:

I like earth. People forget it's a planet and think it's a big flat disc spinning in space but actually it's a planet and a pretty good one at that

i can't think of anything special about earth

paul_soccer12 posted:

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

DeepQantas posted:

Why a goodbye turtle? Is that what you say when someone falls off the edge?

Yes

smoobles

CAT BRUSH posted:

what's your favorite planet smoobles? i bet it's something lame and stupid

earth, bitch

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Bo-Pepper posted:

i bet it's mercury hah gently caress you mercury you're the planet everyone forgets about when they try to name the planets

i always remember mercury, it's the one closest to the sun. everyone remembers mercury. but neptune? it's before pluto and everything else before it is more interesting. its most prominent feature is a smudge. gently caress you, neptune, maybe try harder next time and get some rings

Qwerinty fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 9, 2015

----------------

DeepQantas

CAT BRUSH posted:

i can't think of anything special about earth
Plastic!

mags

smoobles posted:

earth, bitch

lame

paul_soccer12 posted:

joke_explainer

landy. posted:

why is that?

Pluto was relegated to dwarf planet status because it hadn't 'cleared the area' of its orbit, with huge object Charon being a significant body in close proximity that put the barycenter of the pluto-charon system outside of Pluto. But over the last year we've found other things orbiting Pluto, and these photos are clearing up to show a lot of details of both Pluto and Charon. Depending on what we see with Charon, I wouldn't doubt they end up re-classifying it. That's all just semantics though, for all practical purposes its a planet.

alnilam posted:

how was this pic taken CAT BRUSH? was it a lil probe buddy?

Yup! New Horizons, launched in 2006. It's slowly been heading out there for a long time... takes a long time to get into the vicinity of Pluto. These images are the best images we've ever gotten of Pluto... nobody has even sent something out to take a peek before. They're going to get far closer too, and some parts of pluto are going to be imaged at a resolution of 60km^2/pixel. It's really exciting, as we honestly never really knew what it looked like until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags

joke_explainer posted:

Pluto was relegated to dwarf planet status because it hadn't 'cleared the area' of its orbit, with huge object Charon being a significant body in close proximity that put the barycenter of the pluto-charon system outside of Pluto. But over the last year we've found other things orbiting Pluto, and these photos are clearing up to show a lot of details of both Pluto and Charon. Depending on what we see with Charon, I wouldn't doubt they end up re-classifying it. That's all just semantics though, for all practical purposes its a planet.

Yup! New Horizons, launched in 2006. It's slowly been heading out there for a long time... takes a long time to get into the vicinity of Pluto. These images are the best images we've ever gotten of Pluto... nobody has even sent something out to take a peek before. They're going to get far closer too, and some parts of pluto are going to be imaged at a resolution of 60km^2/pixel. It's really exciting, as we honestly never really knew what it looked like until now.

Thanks for this wonderful post joke_explainer! Yes, that is my spacecraft. You can see my window right there in the pic. It takes me about 9 hours to reply to a post because of the signal lag. I can still stream rznv though.

paul_soccer12 posted:

• Locked thread