Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Where is it going after Pluto, or is it getting captured by Pluto?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasure bear

alnilam posted:

to get it to pluto quickly it's just a flyby and then off out into interstellar space, it would need a vast amount of fuel to slow down and orbit

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
Unless they hit it just right...

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

alnilam posted:

pluto captured

my heart

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rock the boat
obv fake

joke_explainer

What makes you suspect it's a fake?

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

CAT BRUSH posted:

i can't think of anything special about earth
I totally have a place there, NBD

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

pic of charon and pluto together

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
alnilam

charon i know ur going to state and I'm going to tech but i know we'll be friends 4eva

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

alnilam posted:

charon i know ur going to state and I'm going to tech but i know we'll be friends 4eva

lol

----------------

pig slut lisa

irl is good

joke_explainer posted:

Pluto was relegated to dwarf planet status because it hadn't 'cleared the area' of its orbit, with huge object Charon being a significant body in close proximity that put the barycenter of the pluto-charon system outside of Pluto. But over the last year we've found other things orbiting Pluto, and these photos are clearing up to show a lot of details of both Pluto and Charon. Depending on what we see with Charon, I wouldn't doubt they end up re-classifying it. That's all just semantics though, for all practical purposes its a planet.

Yup! New Horizons, launched in 2006. It's slowly been heading out there for a long time... takes a long time to get into the vicinity of Pluto. These images are the best images we've ever gotten of Pluto... nobody has even sent something out to take a peek before. They're going to get far closer too, and some parts of pluto are going to be imaged at a resolution of 60km^2/pixel. It's really exciting, as we honestly never really knew what it looked like until now.

wow. that thing launched nine years ago and only just now started taking pictures. meanwhile i've been on facebook for ten years and have loaded almost 6,500 pictures, and tagged friends, coworkers, etc plus written funny captions for each one. so impressed, let's do the slow clap meme for this friggin probe.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Pluto has a butt

DeepQantas

No it doesn't. Only planets wear pants

google THIS

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

Pluto has a butt

Mazreal

adjusts monocle

Qwerinty posted:

NASA confirms: Pluto is the solar system's cutest planet. Top officials ask for a date, are rebuffed

our relationship is strictly plutonic

alnilam

god bless freesmileys.de

DeepQantas

:eyepop:

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Pluto is just pining for Clyde Tombaugh

pig slut lisa

irl is good

more like

FreshCutFries

alnilam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpCfB46U6H0

ulvir

CAT BRUSH posted:

Thanks for this wonderful post joke_explainer! Yes, that is my spacecraft. You can see my window right there in the pic. It takes me about 9 hours to reply to a post because of the signal lag. I can still stream rznv though.

send a stream of rznv to the ISS and letthe bored-out-of-their-minds astronauts over there do an accoustic cover of it to post on youtube

Ein cooler Typ

by FactsAreUseless
it's amazing to think that Pluto is so far away that it takes light years to reach us from there

we are actually seeing Pluto as it looked several years ago

it might have turned off the heart emoticon by now

----------------

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you

Ein cooler Typ posted:

it's amazing to think that Pluto is so far away that it takes light years to reach us from there

What

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
on pluto, the intensity of sunlight is only a thousandth of what it is on earth. this leaves pluto with a beautiful complexion, and a youthful look that belies its years

ty bacalou!

pig slut lisa

irl is good

Ein cooler Typ posted:

ron color

Ein cooler Typ posted:

lol

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

just like my ok cupid

joke_explainer

Tomorrow morning the flyby will happen. New Horizons is going extremely fast in a hyperbolic trajectory toward the Pluto-Charon system. It's going to zip by in a matter of minutes, and start taking over 150 extremely detailed photographs. During the flyby, it's going to check in once before it starts then stop talking for the duration to focus entirely on collecting data.

Once the flyby is over, just a few minutes later, it will check in.

There's about a 1/10,000 chance that it'll collide with Pluto-Charon system debris and it'll just never check in. So, let's hope that doesn't happen. The highest resolution pictures are going to take quite a while to transfer back here at their relatively low bandwidth transmission speed, but the smaller color pictures should be available pretty quickly tomorrow afternoon/evening EDT.

It takes about 4 hours for a signal to reach us from Pluto... definitely not years, so not sure where ein cooler typ got that.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

joke_explainer posted:

It takes about 4 hours for a signal to reach us from Pluto... definitely not years, so not sure where ein cooler typ got that.

It's just a joke taking the knowledge that lights from other stars take years to get to us, and for a great many in extra-galactical systems are likely burnt out by the time we see them. Obviously Pluto is not a planet, and very close to is, hence why it's funny

----------------

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

joke_explainer posted:

a hyperbolic trajectory

WOW WHAT A TRAJECTORY LIKE THAT IS THE FASTEST BEST TRAJECTORY THAT EVER WAS WOOOOOOW

alnilam

Qwerinty posted:

It's just a joke taking the knowledge that lights from other stars take years to get to us, and for a great many in extra-galactical systems are likely burnt out by the time we see them. Obviously Pluto is not a planet, and very close to is, hence why it's funny

joke_explainer

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
Actuallyt they have to transport the film back to earth for development

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

WOW WHAT A TRAJECTORY LIKE THAT IS THE FASTEST BEST TRAJECTORY THAT EVER WAS WOOOOOOW

lol

treasure bear

ppl who say "its a dwarf planet not a planet" are basically saying that dwarf people aren't people which is severely hosed up

treasure bear

what do you have against my friends, the little people?

DeepQantas

Just like Europe isn't a continent... it's incontinent

joke_explainer

If people followed the same rules everyone would be a dwarf person until they cleared the area of all other people.

DeepQantas

SA: It's where people post

smoobles

is there a chance the spacecraft will accidentally take a video, or take the photos in selfie mode? my mom does that sometimes.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas

I'm sure NASA engineers will find an ingenious way to shut down the video before the 48 hours mark when it runs out of film.

• Locked thread