Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp1xT302VcY

Hey guys, remember back in 2013 when we all got bowled the gently caress over by this newcomer's first film that was instantly regarded as one of the best documentaries ever made? Turns out that against all odds, and having gone through the most honorable rite of passage an American documentarian can reach (getting screwed out of an Oscar), he's got another film coming out related to the same subject as The Act of Killing. I caught it in March and it's just as good if not an even better film.

This approach is a great deal more subtle and less stylized, but it has comparable emotional and intellectual impact. Oppenheimer co-directed the picture with the film's star, Adi (who must otherwise remain anonymous to protect his family), whose brother was killed in the 1960s massacre. In one of those perfect 'only in real life' kind of ways, Adi's job is seeing if villagers need glasses. Helping them to see is an amazing metaphor for what he otherwise attempts in the film. This movie is much more about the victim's family than the perpetrators of this massacre that the world is now only too familiar with. We spend time with Adi's family and get exposed to their most mundane moments, which resonate in their silence. The other portion of the film consists of Oppenheimer and Adi going around the village interviewing these perpetrators, who now exist as normal civilians having faced no reproach for their actions.

Getting out of both of these films, I didn't even know how to articulate the mesh of feelings I was walking around with. I wasn't just angry or sad, but this bizarre amalgamation that left me very quiet and stupefied. The range of humanity one witnesses in The Look of Silence is staggering; murderers boast of their atrocities while Adi courageously challenges their hardened way of thinking. His passion is utterly inspiring, but then I feel so bad about feeling good in anyway because the context is so devastating.

Here's Oppenheimer's artist's statement, of sorts:

Joshua Oppenheimer posted:

The Act of Killing exposed the consequences for all of us when we build our everyday reality on terror and lies. The Look of Silence explores what it is like to be a survivor in such a reality. Making any film about survivors of genocide is to walk into a minefield of clichés, most of which serve to create a heroic (if not saintly) protagonist with whom we can identify, thereby offering the false reassurance that, in the moral catastrophe of atrocity, we are nothing like perpetrators. But presenting survivors as saintly in order to reassure ourselves that we are good is to use survivors to deceive ourselves. It is an insult to survivors’ experience, and does nothing to help us understand what it means to survive atrocity, what it means to live a life shattered by mass violence, and to be silenced by terror. To navigate this minefield of clichés, we have had to explore silence itself.

The result, The Look of Silence, is, I hope, a poem about a silence borne of terror – a poem about the necessity of breaking that silence, but also about the trauma that comes when silence is broken. Maybe the film is a monument to silence – a reminder that although we want to move on, look away and think of other things, nothing will make whole what has been broken. Nothing will wake the dead. We must stop, acknowledge the lives destroyed, strain to listen to the silence that follows.

Here's what I wrote back when I saw it:

Joshua Oppenheimer’s second film after The Act of Killing is another triumph, and despite treading the same content it’s a completely different, entirely bold movie. Oppenheimer and his anonymous co-director, Adi, explore the latter’s family life as well as arrange interviews with the reprehensible gang leaders responsible for Adi’s older brother’s vicious murder in the massacre of 1965 that Act of Killing made us all to well-acquainted with. Adi makes his living determining eye prescriptions for villagers, a metaphor so vibrant and challenging it could only be real life. The craft on display is unforgettable; the film shifts seamlessly from intense encounters to contemplative sequences of normal life utterly heartbreaking in their silence. The tragedy never escapes a single moment of life here. Hearing Oppenheimer speak afterward, it was made even more clear why this dude is a rock star. His efforts have involved so much more than fashioning a great film; his methodology for shifting the discourse in Indonesia, in participation with all manner of anonymous activists in the country, has been brilliantly strategic. There is not an artist working today that makes me more confident that documentary can be an agent of social change. It is very clear, however, that it involves thinking far beyond the silver screen, a fact that a tragic majority of social documentarists never tackle because the dominance of commercial thinking in cinema makes it too hard to scrape by even without rattling cages. So yeah, it’s a masterpiece, by far the best film I saw at the festival, and probably this year.

Anyway, limited release starting July 17th. Go see it because it's unforgettable.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This looks incredible, thanks for sharing. I haven't seen The Act of Killing, but the trailer mentioned it's a companion piece. Should I see that first?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
You don't have to see it to appreciate this film, but it's absolutely worth checking out.

e: Actually, now that I think about it, Act of Killing probably does a good job explaining the historical situation in Indonesia, so yeah, watch that first. It should be on Netflix (right? I don't have it anymore).

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
The Act of Killing absolutely blew my mind so I've been looking forward to seeing this.

You should definitely watch it, Firstborn. There's nothing else like it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Blisster posted:

The Act of Killing absolutely blew my mind so I've been looking forward to seeing this.

You should definitely watch it, Firstborn. There's nothing else like it.

Agreed. Not to spoil anything, but some of the human emotion caught on film during the last part of the movie is some of the rawest I've ever seen.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
I saw this today as part of the Melbourne International Film Festival, and Joshua Oppenheimer was unexpectedly there to do a Q&A. He said he wasn't sure how to approach The Look of Silence, or at least an accompanying film dealing with the victims and survivors of atrocities depicted in the Art of Killing until he said footage that the subject of Look of Silence had shot himself (footage of his father slipping into senility) while Oppenheimer was completing Act of Killing. Other mindblowingly depressing poo poo not mentioned in the movie: Goodyear tyres taking advantage of slave labour perpetrated on political prisoners.

The dude in this movie is incredibly brave, confronting basically real life monsters (two "vampires" as well, I poo poo you not) and asking them to own up to their sins. I've never seen people so candid and so full of poo poo at the same time. It's terrifying.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This is up on Netflix as of a couple days ago if you want to check it out. Watched it for the second time tonight and it really is a cut above the rest.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

This is up on Netflix as of a couple days ago if you want to check it out. Watched it for the second time tonight and it really is a cut above the rest.

Oh hell yes, I've been waiting for that. Gonna get real depressed tonight.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
wait holy poo poo this is on netflix already? fuuuuuuuuuuck

I'm ready to have a bad time

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Frogfingers posted:

The dude in this movie is incredibly brave, confronting basically real life monsters (two "vampires" as well, I poo poo you not) and asking them to own up to their sins. I've never seen people so candid and so full of poo poo at the same time. It's terrifying.

"Some men went insane after killing so many others. I didn't because I drank the blood of people I killed."

I'm paraphrasing here, but that is what an actual human being talks about in this movie, without a hint of emotion. I considered spoiler-tagging it, it's such a baffling mindfuck of a moment.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am afraid to watch these movies, I mean really afraid. The last time I had this was with Irreversible. <- still haven't seen this.

This stuff stays with me. :(

• Locked thread