Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
How would a skeleton be able to produce an heir anyway? I dunno if these NPCs have really thought this through and it is ruining my immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kylra posted:

How would a skeleton be able to produce an heir anyway? I dunno if these NPCs have really thought this through and it is ruining my immersion.

Magic? :shrug:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

plant a bone in the ground

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

dogsicle posted:

plant a boner

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kylra posted:

How would a skeleton be able to produce an heir anyway?

Two in the dooper one in the spooper

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Kylra posted:

Create Greater Dong

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Dan7el posted:

Is the MC Lich Lord the only PC "stuck" in the now-defunct game or do we find other PCs in the same situation later on?

Well, if he's not, that would be cool because he'd possibly find some "soul mates" of a sort and possible allies or enemies. If he is the only PC-turned player, then it would be very, very lonely but quite possibly way more interesting too.

As a Revenant, does he eat? Sleep? Shower? I wonder if there are any benefits to being a skeleton. In WoW, originally, undead could stay underwater indefinitely as they don't breath. Blizzard eventually nerfed that for whatever stupid reasons though.

Based on LN info.

He is old school D&D undead, no need for food, sleep, or showers. High resonance to cold, piercing, death magic, and mind control magic. High vulnerabilities to crushing, fire, and holy magic. I don't remember if normal healing spells heal or hurt him.

He is also a level 100 min-maxing poopsocker, so prepare for all weakness to be countered by gear, build, and/or planing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure about a lot of the story and characters, but Momonga is a great mc.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Hagop posted:

Based on LN info.

He is old school D&D undead, no need for food, sleep, or showers. High resonance to cold, piercing, death magic, and mind control magic. High vulnerabilities to crushing, fire, and holy magic. I don't remember if normal healing spells heal or hurt him.

He is also a level 100 min-maxing poopsocker, so prepare for all weakness to be countered by gear, build, and/or planing.

quote:

"Nothing really compares to a truly awful cup of coffee. When you drink a good cup of coffee, you try to immerse yourself in that cup. You focus all your senses on what you’re drinking. How it smells, how it tastes, how it feels on your tongue. You savor the experience. But when you drink a cup of absolutely horrid coffee, you do everything possible NOT to immerse yourself in it. You try to shut out your senses from what you are drinking. Inevitably, you try to stave off the assault on your poor little innocent tongue by comparing it to all of the better coffee you’ve had in your life–reliving each cup in comparison to the godforsaken crap you’re pouring down your gullet now. So when you drink a good cup of coffee, you’re only drinking that one cup, but when you drink a bad cup of coffee, you remember every good cup you ever drank."
— Xykon the Sorcerer, The Order of the Stick: Start of Darkness by Rich Burlew

I partly expecting this to come up.

Turning yourself into a lich knowing what it entails can be shocking, Xykon himself hadn't considered the full ramifications of it. Being turned involuntarily into a lich with no forewarning would in a sufficiently darker story, lead to insanity.

Though it seems the MC got a little lucky in that he still has touch/taste/smell.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hagop posted:

Based on LN info.

Uh he isn't a min-maxing poopsocker, it's stated directly that he made his char for roleplaying reasons. He just is super powerful becasue everyone in the new world is sub level 10..

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
He also blew most of his paycheck on pay to win poo poo, and he's a packrat with mountains of low level consumables that are useless to him but priceless compared to what is available in this new world.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

-Troika- posted:

Uh he isn't a min-maxing poopsocker, it's stated directly that he made his char for roleplaying reasons. He just is super powerful becasue everyone in the new world is sub level 10..

He later describes himself as being in the middle of the upper tier of players individually. So very good but not super min-maxed.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

-Troika- posted:

He later goes on to describe all the crap he did to make is spells more powerful, how much time and money he spent trying to gamble up a cash shop item, and a number of other character build shenanigans. He is just so much of a poopsocker he just doesn't realize it anymore.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Kylra posted:

He's gonna cast Raise Dead on his crotch

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this show would be better without the dumb mmo stuff

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Davincie posted:

this show would be better without the dumb mmo stuff

It's basically Order of the Stick in Anime form from Team Evil's perspective. There's nothing MMO about it really.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's basically Order of the Stick in Anime form from Team Evil's perspective. There's nothing MMO about it really.

Except the main character's perspective and personality? The fact that he's a dude playing as an evil lich and not actually an evil lich is sort of important to his characterization.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Except the main character's perspective and personality? The fact that he's a dude playing as an evil lich and not actually an evil lich is sort of important to his characterization.

Do we really know this? Maybe he was an evil lich all along and merely dreamed that he was a human playing video games!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

AfroSquirrel posted:

Do we really know this? Maybe he was an evil lich all along and merely dreamed that he was a human playing video games!

Maybe the skeleton was inside him all along.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Desuwa posted:

That's super hosed up man

I'm gonna have nightmares tonight

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Desuwa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU513suJZzY

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Imho that floating helmet is a god drat buzzkill.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Doesn't he do atrociously evil acts very very soon?

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
I just started watching. He's one spooky scary skeleton.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't he do atrociously evil acts very very soon?

I'm not really sure how that changes my point with regards to his origins and characterization? I mean, "becoming the mask" is a really old thing in character development.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm not really sure how that changes my point with regards to his origins and characterization? I mean, "becoming the mask" is a really old thing in character development.

Xykon's depravity escalated almost entirely solely after becoming a lich.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Xykon's depravity escalated almost entirely solely after becoming a lich.

You are the only one talking about that webcomic. No one else cares.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Serious Frolicking posted:

You are the only one talking about that webcomic. No one else cares.

And now we can begin I'm sure the enjoyable discussion about whether discussion of an RPG themed webcomic that references RPG mechanics is an appropriate reference point for an RPG themed anime that references RPG mechanics.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think the badly drawn western webcomic is that a great point of comparison for this anime's setting/characters/etc. plus isn't the former based on p&p rpgs and not (vr)mmos?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

dogsicle posted:

i don't think the badly drawn western webcomic is that a great point of comparison for this anime's setting/characters/etc. plus isn't the former based on p&p rpgs and not (vr)mmos?

The point is that this show has nothing that makes it distinguishable from a p&prpg in its nuts & bolts (or rather, it's a red herring); its characters referencing game mechanics as a short hand to enable the view a means of internalizing what happens on screen; its rather indistinguishable from Danmachi in this sense (they live in a fantasy world where the characters reference mechanics literally as laws as to how the world works).

Since the MC here is a Lich who presumably does depraved crimes against humanity on a regular basis despite having no indication that these aren't in fact real life breathing sentient beings, because ultimately, out of boredom, I think this gives some rather startling similarities to Xykon.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Raenir Salazar posted:

Since the MC here is a Lich who presumably does depraved crimes against humanity on a regular basis despite having no indication that these aren't in fact real life breathing sentient beings, because ultimately, out of boredom, I think this gives some rather startling similarities to Xykon.

Yeah, no. He's pretty clearly not motivated by boredom. His primary motivation has already been brought up in the anime. It's figuring out what the hell is going on, and as an extension of that, to figure out if anyone else went through the same thing. Other than that he just tries to live up to the expectations of his minions.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The story seems to be less about the game itself, and more about people's ridiculous wow rp OCs bought to life.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cynic Jester posted:

Yeah, no. He's pretty clearly not motivated by boredom. His primary motivation has already been brought up in the anime. It's figuring out what the hell is going on, and as an extension of that, to figure out if anyone else went through the same thing. Other than that he just tries to live up to the expectations of his minions.

I'm referring to what I've heard others discuss, his actions after his information gathering period. Which dear god, if 'living up to the expectations of his minions' requires brutally murdering real people than yeah he isn't far removed from Xykon on a moral level. Because then he really is an evil lich tyrant regardless of how affable he is to them. Okay, maybe he's more like Tarquin; other than that I'm not understanding your argument. I'm saying "Hey he's similar to this other character" and you're saying he isn't at all similar? That doesn't follow.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Any and all fights in Overlord can be summed up as 'Daddy's trying to impress his kids and getting these stinking competitors off his newly acquired property'.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm referring to what I've heard others discuss, his actions after his information gathering period. Which dear god, if 'living up to the expectations of his minions' requires brutally murdering real people than yeah he isn't far removed from Xykon on a moral level. Because then he really is an evil lich tyrant regardless of how affable he is to them. Okay, maybe he's more like Tarquin; other than that I'm not understanding your argument. I'm saying "Hey he's similar to this other character" and you're saying he isn't at all similar? That doesn't follow.

Considering we aren't at that point in the show, maybe it would be better to hold off on any moral judgements here until you've actually seen what he does or does not do.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also could you shut up about some dumb stickman webcomic, tia

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm saying boredom is far, far from his underlying purpose for doing poo poo. At no point does he even come close to taking any significant actions because he's bored. And no one is arguing that he isn't an evil lich tyrant. It's the entire premise of the story.

Also, relevant, very general LN spoiler:
The 'information gathering period' isn't even over in the LN, as he never gets any conclusive answers, which is a large part what motivates his current direction in the story

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I mean, seriously, making some lazy-rear end comparison to some cliché villain in another story based on some dudes discussing poo poo from the LN isn't going to produce anything close to an interesting analysis. It's as superficial as you can get.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cerebral Bore posted:

• Locked thread