Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

That seems a net loss to me.

If you liked that, just read the existing fan-translation, I'm fairly happy with an official translation taking out dumb in-jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I'm told that a variant of the phrase does appear, but only once, instead of the four(!) times it shows up in the fan translation of the first volume. I wonder if it got added in the transition from Japanese to Chinese?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's not how translation works, if you don't adopt allegory, it sounds like poo poo.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Poor Emperor JUST

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
The waiting begins yet again.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Grausherra posted:

The waiting begins yet again.

Indeed it does. 30 september isnt all that far away though, a lot less then it took for this book to come out.

Also for those who didn't notice, the fantranslation of book 10 is now done and can be found here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overlord/comments/4lrf9e/overlord_vol10_prologue/

Soon someone will probably throw all chapters into a pdf for easy reading but i havent seen sign of that yet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Books should be put into .epubs :colbert:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCkUbxnTS4

So, Overlord is getting a dub. It seems to be straight to video, though. And Ainz sounds like the guy on Team Four Star that did Android 20/Gero. Interesting.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Not sure this show deserves that voice. :suspense:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Montegoraon posted:

And Ainz sounds like the guy on Team Four Star that did Android 20/Gero. Interesting.

Yeah, that is clearly the Gero voice actor. Good for him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
This is the greatest dub voice in history.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Aniz voice is so loving perfect I can't goddam believe it. I need it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBexUG1V7ok

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 24, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo, that's good.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'll have to assume that it's good because that video is not available in my country VOV. Thank god youtube is protecting the world from the people who would want to pirate a dumb anime preview thing.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'll have to assume that it's good because that video is not available in my country VOV. Thank god youtube is protecting the world from the people who would want to pirate a dumb anime preview thing.

Funimation, putting the gently caress You into animation.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I've see the phrase "lazy" came up in the discussion rather often in the last couple of pages, but how many stories exist in this exact format of "literal genocidal dictator elder god power fantasy"?

If anything, our man Maruyama is quite diligent, being the first person to actually put such a concept to print. Show me some other stories like that. :colbert:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I stopped reading at the start of the 'Plucky Adventurers' or whatever arc because I got spoiled on its ending, which finally convinced me this guilty pleasure wasn't that pleasurable anymore. At this point if it was confirmed that players appear every hundred years, just smash-cut to a hundred years later and give us a new player viewpoint of the horrible nasty world Ainz ends up creating because of his huge character flaws and blind-spots.

Hell, give us the viewpoint of players almost-but-not-quite as good as Ainz who get transported there, and eventually have to take down this insane world-ruling Lich everyone's so terrified of. The final volume can be a raid against Nazarick that finally succeeds.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I don't really think Ainz is doomed to being a tragic villain, though. The possibilities are still wide-open.

Volume 10 was all about him making poo poo better for the common man and getting people to follow him willingly. He's not a terrible ruler, just a fairly ruthless one, and he's not even the worst in the series. Renner is more vicious than him in spades.

He's certainly a flawed character, but he's not static. There's been real character growth as he accepts and grows into his role. Volume 7 was weak because it really could have been summed up in a single chapter, it didn't need an entire volume. 8 was much more tightly-written, 9 was :tviv:, 10 was :hb: :yohoho: :hb:

Part of the reason the later volumes have been so good is that the earlier volumes were just an adaptation of My First Webnovel. Now he's moving into original content and has honed his craft a lot, things are starting to become really good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'll give the rest another shot then and skip the amazing adventures of Doomed McDiesalot and his merry band of walking dead. Does anything significant happen in volume seven I should know, going forward?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Beyond most of the Workers dying horribly, some of them in an epic fit of pique? The epilogue is pretty significant since Volume 9 picks up immediately where it ends. Volume 8 is an extended side-story that takes place much earlier chronologically.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, good for the Team Four Star people- the guy that does Cloud for their abridged stuff is doing Midoriya in the My Hero Academia dub and the guy that did Gero is doing Ainz? In terms of characters in generally well-liked series that's huge even if people tend to hate dubs.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Emalde posted:

Show me some other stories like that. :colbert:

no seriously though, somebody deliver on this

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I found a couple on novelupdates but they were terrible and I forgot what they were called.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Emalde posted:

no seriously though, somebody deliver on this

i got you fam

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393337618

Emalde
May 3, 2007

spoil the end for me, who was it that summoned the elder god hitler

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Emalde posted:

spoil the end for me, who was it that summoned the elder god hitler

Normal people like you and me.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dwarves!

(that was a clue, vol 11 translation has sarted)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Turin Turambar posted:

Dwarves!

(that was a clue, vol 11 translation has sarted)

Is this something where I can ask where it is or not? I can never tell with these novels.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'll be the canary in the coal mine for you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Overlord/Ch-018-005--Episode--018-005---Omake?id=322860

Entoma-chan.....

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The manga is really good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah so far, how does the manga compare to the ln or whatever, is it telling the story better, worse, cutting the fat or adding too much, etc? I really like intelligent lizardmen in fantasy settings rather than as mindless monsters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
For the most part better, but it is skipping some minor stuff, but it's mostly internal dialog cut for more showy imagery. And somehow it is still conveyed fine in picture form.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The art in the manga is fun. The artist takes advantage of the medium to sometimes draw Ainz in a goofy way, and sometimes in an awesome, high-quality way. The depiction of Shalltear's true form is better too. The manga, LN, and anime all contributed something to my enjoyment.

Also, the dub is actually pretty decent- they streamed the first two episodes. There are some oddities, of course. The way they pronounce Nazarick is taking some getting used to. Demiurge's voice isn't as smooth as it should be. Ainz can maybe be a little too whiny at times. But I don't recall any lines that screamed "I have no idea what the context of this line is" and that's the stuff that really gets under my skin. It may be worth buying when the whole season comes out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How do they say it? I always thought it was "nah-zur-ick"

also the manga happens to be exceptionally well drawn most of the time, which is great. I really like the way he does the lizardmen.

Now, I've been spoiled on what happens the lizardmen survive and ainz enlists them or whatever but that's about it, does he be all like "I will offer you protection and teach you vast new powers in exchange for your bodies once you have moved on from this existence" since I recall them mentioning that the lizardmen's bones were insanely tough, right?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 1, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

How do they say it? I always thought it was "nah-zur-ick"

I think of it as nah-zuh-rick. The funny thing is, they pronounce it pretty much just as it is in Japanese: nah-zah-reek. Which is perfectly reasonable, I guess, but since it's obviously not a Japanese name I would have expected them to westernize the pronunciation.

quote:

also the manga happens to be exceptionally well drawn most of the time, which is great. I really like the way he does the lizardmen.

Now, I've been spoiled on what happens the lizardmen survive and ainz enlists them or whatever but that's about it, does he be all like "I will offer you protection and teach you vast new powers in exchange for your bodies once you have moved on from this existence" since I recall them mentioning that the lizardmen's bones were insanely tough, right?

The lizardmen respect strength above all, so they basically worship Ainz when he defeats them. He needn't offer them anything except survival. That's not the most interesting part of how all that works out, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah so far, how does the manga compare to the ln or whatever, is it telling the story better, worse, cutting the fat or adding too much, etc? I really like intelligent lizardmen in fantasy settings rather than as mindless monsters.

The manga cuts the fat too much, in my opinion. The LN has a problem where it gets too long and rambling at times, but the manga goes a little too far in the other direction in my opinion because it removes basically every scrap of internal exposition, which renders some parts like the Shalltear fight very sterile. It also skips through a lot of stuff on basically fast forward while still taking absolutely loving forever to release new volumes. That said, the art is extremely good and it's the most condensed version of the series you're going to get.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Volume 11 is pretty good so far.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Fat_Cow posted:

Volume 11 is pretty good so far.

It sure is, and things are starting to ramp up as of the latest released chapter.

Again, check here to read the latest volume https://overlordvolume10.blogspot.nl/2016/09/now.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
These velociraptors are unbelievably hosed.

So-Bin is insanely on point as well:

"I WANNA TALK ABOUT RUNES, MAN! TELL ME ABOUT THE RUNES!"

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 11, 2016

• Locked thread