Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

Never heard of it. What kind of work is it? And how good on a scale from 1 to F?

Fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dunno but it has a funny name and its a bestseller

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The translator for the novels is actually decent. He gets some tenses wrong but he does a good enough job. I've read translations of other novels where trying to parse the broken english gave me a headache and, even with that, I still couldn't make sense of some sentences. His translation of Overlord volume 1 is a bit rougher than the later ones but readable.

The anime cleaned up a lot of the dialogue this episode though. There was a lot more verbal fellating of Momonga/Ainz in the novels and it came off pretty poorly.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Strong fourth ep. This is pretty much how I've always wanted NPCs to react to my broken late game RPG characters. Goddammit Nords, I'm shouting trolls off mountain passes and copping dragon claws to the face, you better be a little humbled.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Me this entire episode. Holy poo poo.

ichibanMuffin
Jun 17, 2004

Disciple of Dr. Goku S. Gohan
I think my favorite part of this anime is that the main character isn't obsessed with doing the morally right thing, but rather living up to the reputation of the guild as its Guild Master.

It's more important that the legend of The Great Tomb Of Nazarick is carried out properly; everything else is just humoring the little people or are seemingly random decisions, like honoring Touch Me by acting like the avatar of justice for a little while.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

darkgray posted:

Maybe when I've learned English properly.

Your English seems flawless to me, though a few posts on a forum are a far cry from indicating full mastery I suppose. Keep at it, the world needs more translators and I'm jealous of the multi-lingual, particularly since a major goal in my life is to visit Japan and Korea and I only know maybe 50 words in each of their languages and nothing about their written language. I really should have taken Japanese instead of Spanish in high school and college, then I'd at least have a flimsy haze of knowledge to tap back into.

Edit: Also, I'll never get tired of seeing Ainz be constantly disappointed at the weakness of his opponents.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 29, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Iretep posted:

English dub better have skeletors voice actor. :colbert:

Actually with the beady red eyes and deep voice I've been hearing Christopher Lee's leaden tones from the role of Discworld's DEATH.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually with the beady red eyes and deep voice I've been hearing Christopher Lee's leaden tones from the role of Discworld's DEATH.
Unfortunately that can't happen. :(

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Poil posted:

Unfortunately that can't happen. :(

W-we just need Ains to bring him back... :saddowns:

Just started this, and holy moly is it good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

They are making a spinoff with the fighting maids. Might be interesting,

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Cerebral Bore posted:

God forbid that somebody doesn't get what they're expecting. It's a good thing that we have y'all here with the spoilers so that certainly won't happen.

The tone of a work is not a drat spoiler, what the hell is wrong with you

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Cool series so far, really getting into this.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The tone of a work is not a drat spoiler, what the hell is wrong with you

The tone isn't a spoiler, yes.

Dick waving over having read ahead and knowing "Oh, guys, just wait, things get dark soon" isn't a spoiler either, but that doesn't mean people want to read about since it's just some dork forum boosting so he can be a Voice Of Authority Because He Knows What's Gonna Happen.

Nobody cares.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The tone isn't a spoiler, yes.

Dick waving over having read ahead and knowing "Oh, guys, just wait, things get dark soon" isn't a spoiler either, but that doesn't mean people want to read about since it's just some dork forum boosting so he can be a Voice Of Authority Because He Knows What's Gonna Happen.

Nobody cares.

Yeah all of this "Hehehe, this isn't a spoiler, but schmeris schmies!" is just dancing around. Either have an actual conversation with spoiler tags, or at least be like the Jojo thread and hide spoilers in elaborate puns.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought everyone was super against any sort of spoiler chat.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
There hasn't been any real spoilering though, all of it has been people talking about what happened during the chapter in the novel that the current episode is based on. All that people are doing is going "hey in the novel at this point in the episode this extra stuff happened" or "Hey all this extra world building happened at this point in the episode."

As for knowing that he is going to do lots of evil things, he's called the "Overlord".

Myurton fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 30, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
the man knows powerful magic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
SPOILERS: Next episode he casts a spell.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

skeletons

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Right now my guess is the world is going to start leveling up and will eventually pose a legitimate thread to skele and skele friends. He's going to have to make friends find allies that support him and not out of fear but because they love him as a king. I think he's made steady progress accomplishing that so far.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My biggest disappointment so far might be that the delivery of the most badass lines don't seem to carry the weight I expected them to. The manga makes the scenes in just the last episode seem like 13 times as badass.

As an example.

Though it is probably more in line with how it was written in the novel.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Right now my guess is the world is going to start leveling up and will eventually pose a legitimate thread to skele and skele friends. He's going to have to make friends find allies that support him and not out of fear but because they love him as a king. I think he's made steady progress accomplishing that so far.

The big threat, I would presume, is going to be other players.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

The big threat, I would presume, is going to be other players.

I hope so if they're there. I have a feeling none of his old allies will be there but maybe some of his enemies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think that this fantasy setting is actually related to the game at all. Some other transplanted player could have introduced magic from the game sometime in the past. Though on the other hand, (inconsequential spoiler) they do follow the same class system as the game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just wish there was a bit more impact to the fights. There was impact to the cool warrior dude's fights as he tried to smash in the roboangels, but there was no resistance to skeletor's magic attacks**. At least have the skin of the angels crumple a bit before they got smashed in. They should be using moderate-level spells on low-level monsters.

**On the other hand, the super spell taking out the super angel was cool, high power met overwhelming power, and one side was simply erased.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

I just wish there was a bit more impact to the fights. There was impact to the cool warrior dude's fights as he tried to smash in the roboangels, but there was no resistance to skeletor's magic attacks**. At least have the skin of the angels crumple a bit before they got smashed in. They should be using moderate-level spells on low-level monsters.

He's still learning about the world. He was kinda expecting everyone to be like player characters in Yggdrasil, where he never used spells below 8th level to deal with conflicts.

This world so far seems a whole lot weaker than he is.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
In episode 3 he's ready to run if his favourite 9th tier spell failed to damage a random mook soldier.

This episode we learned that 7th tier magic is beyond humanity.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 30, 2015

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Mordaedil posted:

He's still learning about the world. He was kinda expecting everyone to be like player characters in Yggdrasil, where he never used spells below 8th level to deal with conflicts.

This world so far seems a whole lot weaker than he is.

Don't forget his minions are all each far more powerful than everyone this world AND lack his restraint! :D

:stare:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Raenir Salazar posted:

Don't forget his minions are all each far more powerful than everyone this world AND lack his restraint! :D

:stare:

Well, at least they aren't inuman monste... :derp:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think this show has the best OP of the season. Also, Albedo is slightly more tolerable in the anime.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am glad for the person who came in and said "yeah, it's going to get darker" so now I can make a better informed choice of whether I want to watch something with that tone if I decide the current tone gets slow or begins to bore me.

It's like what a movie trailer is supposed to be for.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

What day do new episodes air?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

KillerQueen posted:

What day do new episodes air?

Tuesdays.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
What's the D in DMMORPG stand for?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Zeruel posted:

What's the D in DMMORPG stand for?

Dive, IIRC.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show is a good example of how you make a mary sue character actually interesting. His goals are wildly different from his power level and his biggest concern is exploring the new world in secret in hopes of finding other humans brought into it. He's super wary of antagonizing a super powerful enemy he can't beat so his goal is to double down on defense, slowly expand his power base, and set out into the world as a basic level adventurer to learn how this new world works.

Of course he'll eventually run into a overwhelming odds situation and go "gently caress it, I'll crush these scrubs" which makes for some awesome scenes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pentyne posted:

This show is a good example of how you make a mary sue character actually interesting. His goals are wildly different from his power level and his biggest concern is exploring the new world in secret in hopes of finding other humans brought into it. He's super wary of antagonizing a super powerful enemy he can't beat so his goal is to double down on defense, slowly expand his power base, and set out into the world as a basic level adventurer to learn how this new world works.

Of course he'll eventually run into a overwhelming odds situation and go "gently caress it, I'll crush these scrubs" which makes for some awesome scenes.

I liked that the item that made him trade places was just a cheap novelty toy. It's basically WoW's Swapblaster :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kylra posted:

I am glad for the person who came in and said "yeah, it's going to get darker" so now I can make a better informed choice of whether I want to watch something with that tone if I decide the current tone gets slow or begins to bore me.

It's like what a movie trailer is supposed to be for.

Having read a bit ahead, I'm really, really curious how some scenes will play out without heavy censorship. It's giving me nightmares.

• Locked thread