Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

darkgray posted:

The name is originally ンフィーレア・バレアレ which in straight transliteration is Nfiirea Bareare, and then it's all left up to the translator's imagination!

You can't really ask the author either, because Japanese people go nuts with names. As an example, a human character later is called ブレイン (burein), which the book has transliterated as "Brain" in the character sheet, whereas a sane person might think of something like "Blaine" instead.

So the names in this universe are level 100 in terms of difficulty too, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Reading the later volumes, I feel like an interesting idea for a fanfic would be to rewrite the story so that Herohero didn't log out at the start of the story and ended up in the new world with Momonga. Herohero not being undead means he wouldn't have the emotional suppression, so he'd freak out considerably more, but as someone Momonga considers a friend and equal, he'd be in a position to curtail some of the extremely evil poo poo that goes down. Although being in a form that is far less human than even Elder Lich Momonga would like take a toll on his sanity as well, which Momonga would have to deal with. Either that, or having Herohero or the good-aligned Touch Me in Momonga's place. Demiurge might revolt in the latter case.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Overlord, the manga. Why does it look so much better than the anime? (Latest chapter has Shalltear's true vampire form)

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
So, volume 10 is out and a Japanese->Chinese->English translation is proceeding. Let's see how long it takes Ainz to unknowingly say or do something stupid.

quote:

He picked up Mare as he approached, and placed him on his left thighbone.

“Ah, um, Ai-Ainz-sama, how, how about me?”

As Ainz wondered whether he should get them a cushion of some sort, it was Albedo’s turn to speak nervously, but it was too embarrassing to let a grown woman sit on his thigh -- his thighbone.

“No, that… I can’t.”

“But, but, the two of them…”

“...Albedo, these two are just children. You’re an adult, are you not?”

For a moment, he thought he saw something behind Albedo -- a flash of light that was the physical manifestation of the blow she had just suffered. Although he felt a little sorry for her, embarrassment was embarrassment. Besides, if he actually followed through, it would be sexual harassment.

Oh, Ainz, you almighty moron.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I don't know, I'd say volume 10 is very different from anything that came before so far. Ainz's new goal to make his new nation a utopia for all races sounds interesting to see, though I somehow doubt the author has the will to put in the research to make it at all realistic.

Still, even with the lack of challenges, the novels keep finding ways to amuse and delight me. Like in the latest translated section, the emperor goes to all this trouble to hold a secret meeting with the priesthood of his country and the Slane Theocracy in the VIP box of a coliseum, agonizes over preparations to prevent spies and magical eavesdropping, and what happens? Ainz just shows up in the arena. As a competitor. The poor emperor just about has a paranoid breakdown, as you'd expect. The whole thing is delightful.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I'm told that a variant of the phrase does appear, but only once, instead of the four(!) times it shows up in the fan translation of the first volume. I wonder if it got added in the transition from Japanese to Chinese?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCkUbxnTS4

So, Overlord is getting a dub. It seems to be straight to video, though. And Ainz sounds like the guy on Team Four Star that did Android 20/Gero. Interesting.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The art in the manga is fun. The artist takes advantage of the medium to sometimes draw Ainz in a goofy way, and sometimes in an awesome, high-quality way. The depiction of Shalltear's true form is better too. The manga, LN, and anime all contributed something to my enjoyment.

Also, the dub is actually pretty decent- they streamed the first two episodes. There are some oddities, of course. The way they pronounce Nazarick is taking some getting used to. Demiurge's voice isn't as smooth as it should be. Ainz can maybe be a little too whiny at times. But I don't recall any lines that screamed "I have no idea what the context of this line is" and that's the stuff that really gets under my skin. It may be worth buying when the whole season comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

How do they say it? I always thought it was "nah-zur-ick"

I think of it as nah-zuh-rick. The funny thing is, they pronounce it pretty much just as it is in Japanese: nah-zah-reek. Which is perfectly reasonable, I guess, but since it's obviously not a Japanese name I would have expected them to westernize the pronunciation.

quote:

also the manga happens to be exceptionally well drawn most of the time, which is great. I really like the way he does the lizardmen.

Now, I've been spoiled on what happens the lizardmen survive and ainz enlists them or whatever but that's about it, does he be all like "I will offer you protection and teach you vast new powers in exchange for your bodies once you have moved on from this existence" since I recall them mentioning that the lizardmen's bones were insanely tough, right?

The lizardmen respect strength above all, so they basically worship Ainz when he defeats them. He needn't offer them anything except survival. That's not the most interesting part of how all that works out, though.

• Locked thread