Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

LeSquide posted:

We are the silent majority

We're not even that silent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME :stare:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ok I have war remastered and fate of indines. What do I need to erase or add to the finisher and switch cards to practice for tournament play? So far I’ve been playing it with a friend like BCO, with one card as finisher and another card as switch.

I should stick to one character to learn but they’re all so anime and colorful

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

hooman posted:

For some reason I could never win with Eligor against Shekhtur, I could never seem to counterpunch hard enough. So I tended to always run that as an intro game and play Eligor and get ruined by someone who had never played before using Shekhtur.

Eligor vs. Shekhtur is pretty much a perfect 5:5 matchup, though. It's great fun to play. :v:

Chill la Chill posted:

Ok I have war remastered and fate of indines. What do I need to erase or add to the finisher and switch cards to practice for tournament play? So far I’ve been playing it with a friend like BCO, with one card as finisher and another card as switch.

I should stick to one character to learn but they’re all so anime and colorful

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4795muze7mroop9/Trials%20Rules.pdf?dl=0

The most important change is that Dash no longer exists and was replaced with Dodge, which has the same effect but SoB at prio 3, instead of AA at prio 9.

Standard rules use a FG pool of 45 which also serves as the timer (spent force is removed from the game, game ends when there's no force left) and the Force Special Action card to play finishers. Fate doesn't have force tokens so you'll have to track spent force manually, but otherwise there's nothing else to change.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 6, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

Eligor vs. Shekhtur is pretty much a perfect 5:5 matchup, though. It's great fun to play. :v:

Oh don't get me wrong, it's a really fun contest that covers the importance of priority, stun guard, movement and ante, which is why I've always run it as an intro game. I don't think the matchup is uneven, I'm just terribly bad at Eligor.

EDIT: The more things change...

hooman posted:

I too suffer Eligor-blindness and despite really enjoying him have never won with him.

OTOH I click like all gently caress with Khadath and have beaten much better players when using him.

Also got a notification my millenium blades expansion is shipping. Yessss.

hooman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Oct 6, 2018

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bottom Liner posted:

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME :stare:

My regular opponent moved away and I'm having a hard time introducing 2 player games at my local store that don't involve the words "magic", "the", and/or "gathering". I'm slipping down the rabbit hole.
Or I should play more BCO, but effort.

Speaking of games, I haven't heard much on the Pixel Tactics video game front. I'm guessing that will be a push once the kickstarter & battlecon on steam campaigns are over?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon-Lime posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4795muze7mroop9/Trials%20Rules.pdf?dl=0

The most important change is that Dash no longer exists and was replaced with Dodge, which has the same effect but SoB at prio 3, instead of AA at prio 9.

Standard rules use a FG pool of 45 which also serves as the timer (spent force is removed from the game, game ends when there's no force left) and the Force Special Action card to play finishers. Fate doesn't have force tokens so you'll have to track spent force manually, but otherwise there's nothing else to change.

Thanks. I have extra cubes for this purpose. So what BCO essentially did was make the current finisher into two cards (switch, finisher) but paper bacon will only have one card?

I’m also sad this means cancels don’t exist anymore cuz I like the idea of them but the way this cancel card reads, it’s pretty much a no-clash dodge which must’ve been a pain. Hopefully they come up with another way to use cancels that only affects the user and not the opponent

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 6, 2018

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks. I have extra cubes for this purpose. So what BCO essentially did was make the current finisher into two cards (switch, finisher) but paper bacon will only have one card?

I’m also sad this means cancels don’t exist anymore cuz I like the idea of them but the way this cancel card reads, it’s pretty much a no-clash dodge which must’ve been a pain. Hopefully they come up with another way to use cancels that only affects the user and not the opponent

BCO separates the Force Special Action card (which is needed to play finishers in PaperCON because you need to place a pair face down) from the action of playing a finisher. FSA becomes just Switch (i.e. the one action on the FSA card that still works) and you play your finisher straight from hand, since BCO can display two card backs to the opponent even if you just played your finisher.

PaperCON still has a finisher card, you just don't place it while setting pairs.

This also means that BCO doesn't let you do the Special Dodge option select (where you play Special Dodge with Force > Life, then if you change your mind about actually playing your finisher, you ante for overload tokens until Force < Life instead).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ah thanks for clearing it up. My friend and I have been playing with the two sets of special actions to mimic BCO and we just use a dummy base when doing a finisher.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For those waiting with bated breath, sometime yesterday the BattleCON Unleashed Kickstarter hit $300k and we unlocked Andrus as a new character.

Good stuff; this campaign now comes with a minimum of 14 new characters! (2 new Devastation additions, 10 Wanderers, and 2 promos)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

jivjov posted:

For those waiting with bated breath, sometime yesterday the BattleCON Unleashed Kickstarter hit $300k and we unlocked Andrus as a new character.

Good stuff; this campaign now comes with a minimum of 14 new characters! (2 new Devastation additions, 10 Wanderers, and 2 promos)
Also one of the new malaphaise sisters is the next unlockable character!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Dolores is cool and I can't wait to see her kit, but I'm holding out for Ariel. Actually I really want all of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MollyMetroid posted:

Dolores is cool and I can't wait to see her kit, but I'm holding out for Ariel. Actually I really want all of them.
:same:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone have any idea what any of the Wanderers characters do? The KS doesn't have any description of their abilities and I'm not watching a Twitch VoD to figure it out.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's been all but confirmed that all the stretch goal characters have already had a non-zero amount of design work put into them, and they'll be released in some form later.

I just hope they aren't $10 a pop like the standalone promos from the Trials Kickstarter became.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Anyone have any idea what any of the Wanderers characters do? The KS doesn't have any description of their abilities and I'm not watching a Twitch VoD to figure it out.

All the ones that have been revealed so far are on Sheets.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

All the ones that have been revealed so far are on Sheets.

Just what I was looking for, thanks.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oh hey, there's social goals and I want Claus & Wyndhal updated.

So here's a guide. It's called:

Molly's Guide To Losing At BattleCON And Loving It

Basically, I'm bad at the game. Like, real bad. It took me ten matches before I won a match, and that was against people who picked up the game at the same time I did. My most frequent opponents are among the best in the world at the game, at least for like, gencon tournaments and stuff.

So I'm used to losing.

But the thing is, I only ever get briefly discouraged at it. Because every game I play, I learn. The other player is not the opponent.

I am the opponent. I am the challenge. If I do better than I did last game, and the game before last, then I am winning, whether I win or lose the match.

Read. Ask questions. Play games, with as many people as you can, with as many characters and against as many characters as you can.

Be patient. Take your time.

BattleCON is not a game of luck or chance. You don't get lucky. You get skilled. The other may be more skilled than you are--but remember, they aren't your opponent.

You're your opponent.

They're just your partner in helping you become better than your opponent.

That's the trick. That's the mindset you gotta go into this with. I've won games now against the 3-time world champ. I've lost games against my boyfriend, who I taught to play two matches before. Every one of those matches, though, I got better than I was before.

It's about self-improvement.

And that's it! That's my guide.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Update! We're up to a minimum of 16 new characters, thanks to a bunch of custom Fighters and Fanart! (2 new Devastation additions, 10 Wanderers, 2 Social Goal Promos and 2 Stretch Goal Promos)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Well, the promos aren't new, but it'll be good to have them rebalanced. I'd really like to see a slightly more tuned Lucius or Eliza.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, they existed..but I think coming out of this Kickstarter and (presumably) entering wider distribution will get them on a lot more tables. And they'll have tuckboxes.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

On this topic, they mentioned that the 3 Trials promo characters (available as addons for the KS) are not tournament-legal. Should I take that to mean they're unbalanced and/or unplayable? I'm only interested in playing casually, but the idea of having characters that *don't work* leaves me a bit miffed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
From what I understand, they weren't playtested nearly as much. If i recall correctly, Merjoram works fine, but one of the other two is pretty underpowered

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
well Raritti is randomness.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bloody Pancreas posted:

On this topic, they mentioned that the 3 Trials promo characters (available as addons for the KS) are not tournament-legal. Should I take that to mean they're unbalanced and/or unplayable? I'm only interested in playing casually, but the idea of having characters that *don't work* leaves me a bit miffed.

Merjoram is tournament-legal and balanced.

Jin and Rarriti are underpowered, and Rarriti has RNG bullshit, and they're both crossover promos which is the main reason for them not being legal (this last rule is changing for the specific promos being rebalanced with this KS). They both function fine in casual games.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I thought I had kicked my battlecon habit, but naturally I saw the kickstarter, and its back to staring sadly at dozens of fighters no-one will play with me. At least there will be tuckboxes this time.

Is the online version any good yet?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TheCog posted:

I thought I had kicked my battlecon habit, but naturally I saw the kickstarter, and its back to staring sadly at dozens of fighters no-one will play with me. At least there will be tuckboxes this time.

Is the online version any good yet?
I'm really enjoying BCO, it has a few issues but the implementation is solid for early access.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Also I saw a post about an unoffical discord, but the link is expired, if someone would be kind enough to help me out.

nabo
Oct 23, 2010
Official BCO discord: https://discord.gg/ah77Uj
Official L99 discord: https://discord.gg/DR6ZzP
Unofficial fan discord: https://discord.gg/fK3kRB

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Merjoram is tournament-legal and balanced.

Jin and Rarriti are underpowered, and Rarriti has RNG bullshit, and they're both crossover promos which is the main reason for them not being legal (this last rule is changing for the specific promos being rebalanced with this KS). They both function fine in casual games.

Ok good to know. I'm a completionist so I'm basically pissing in the wind.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I've played a few more matches of BCO. Is there a way to feature request other than messaging in one of the Discords? Here are the two things that I immediately notice:

1. I would like a way to see my opponent's hand while still being able to see what is happening for the beat. Right now it is either/or. The timer means that I don't get as much time to learn my opponent's cards as I would like, and switching back and forth between the board and the hand makes it difficult to retain information.

2. I don't think that conceding should cost me the chance to earn coins and such. There are times where I know that I am going to lose the game based on a disastrous beat, but I still have to wait it out for 5-10 more minutes. I would like to be able to concede and save both of us some time.

I posted the first in the feature request channel, but it was quickly buried.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I AM THE (WARD)LAW!

Alright ladies and gentlemen, you know what time it is! Men want to be him, ladies want to be WITH him. He's the one, the only, the amazing, cue drum roll, Wardlaw "The Law" O'Brien! Thank you, thank you, you are too kind.
Of course, no one can really reach the heights of Wardlaw, his raw power, his raw charm, his raw cunning, his raw ability to eat dozens of hot dogs in a single sitting. But with these little tips, maybe YOU can at least try to emulate a tiny fraction of his brilliance.

Part 1: Hit 'em with the clothesline

Alright so, you are middle in the fight, right, and your oppoent is just standing there. What do you? Well, the strategy is as simple as it is cunning: you wait for them to make a mistake and BAM!, you've hit 'em with a Massive Clothesline. That'll send 'em sprawling, and if there's a wall behind them (or the ringside, or whatever else), you can even hit 'em for half their health. And if their back are against the wall, and you can't clothesline 'em, then BAM!, you just Charge 'em instead. There's no escape from Wardlaw once the big man has you in his sights. Or maybe you Smack 'em Down and crash them into the corner. And once you got 'em in the corner, there's no escape from this Dangerous villain!

Part 2: No one puts Wardlaw in the corner!

But what if THEY put you in the corner? Well, just bounce off that wall to gain some speed and then smack 'em some! And maybe they are far away, and that's when you hit 'em with a crushing Overhead. So really, corners for Wardlaw are win/win/win situations, cause of course Wardlaw wins 3 times MORE effectively than anyone else.

Part 3: The Pain Train has no brakes

Maybe you let your opponent get a false sense of safety by letting him hit you a few times. But really, he was playing into your perfect plan all along. You create some distance, right? And then BAM!, you hit 'em with the Pain Train. Or maybe you flip off a wall and crush 'em with a Double Moustache Buster, a move that's sure to make all but the most hardened spectators swoon in pure delight.

Anyway, that's all you need to know about the fighting techniques of the great man himself. Just remember the ABCs: Always Be Clotheslinin'. With those words, you can't lose, and that's a guarantee! (guaranteenotactuallyreedemeablepleasereadtermsandconditions) And if you DO lose, your opponent was probably cheatin', so it doesn't count!

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want the guy who summons mercenaries in the game

and the zombie guitar man

and the puppet girl

and the girl with the pand.

you may notice a theme in my wants.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Girl with the panda is the most anime character I play and she’s cool and also part of Argent

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Tekopo posted:

I AM THE (WARD)LAW!

Alright ladies and gentlemen, you know what time it is! Men want to be him, ladies want to be WITH him. He's the one, the only, the amazing, cue drum roll, Wardlaw "The Law" O'Brien! Thank you, thank you, you are too kind.
Of course, no one can really reach the heights of Wardlaw, his raw power, his raw charm, his raw cunning, his raw ability to eat dozens of hot dogs in a single sitting. But with these little tips, maybe YOU can at least try to emulate a tiny fraction of his brilliance.

Part 1: Hit 'em with the clothesline

Alright so, you are middle in the fight, right, and your oppoent is just standing there. What do you? Well, the strategy is as simple as it is cunning: you wait for them to make a mistake and BAM!, you've hit 'em with a Massive Clothesline. That'll send 'em sprawling, and if there's a wall behind them (or the ringside, or whatever else), you can even hit 'em for half their health. And if their back are against the wall, and you can't clothesline 'em, then BAM!, you just Charge 'em instead. There's no escape from Wardlaw once the big man has you in his sights. Or maybe you Smack 'em Down and crash them into the corner. And once you got 'em in the corner, there's no escape from this Dangerous villain!

Part 2: No one puts Wardlaw in the corner!

But what if THEY put you in the corner? Well, just bounce off that wall to gain some speed and then smack 'em some! And maybe they are far away, and that's when you hit 'em with a crushing Overhead. So really, corners for Wardlaw are win/win/win situations, cause of course Wardlaw wins 3 times MORE effectively than anyone else.

Part 3: The Pain Train has no brakes

Maybe you let your opponent get a false sense of safety by letting him hit you a few times. But really, he was playing into your perfect plan all along. You create some distance, right? And then BAM!, you hit 'em with the Pain Train. Or maybe you flip off a wall and crush 'em with a Double Moustache Buster, a move that's sure to make all but the most hardened spectators swoon in pure delight.

Anyway, that's all you need to know about the fighting techniques of the great man himself. Just remember the ABCs: Always Be Clotheslinin'. With those words, you can't lose, and that's a guarantee! (guaranteenotactuallyreedemeablepleasereadtermsandconditions) And if you DO lose, your opponent was probably cheatin', so it doesn't count!

Wardlaw is insanely fun to play and I approve this post

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
e:bleh

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016
Dumb question maybe: Unleashed says it can hold 110 tuckboxes, but I can't figure out how we got to that many characters.

Devastation: 32
War: 18
Fate: 10
Trials: 10
Wanderers: 10

That's just 80. What am I missing? Are they planning to release another 30 characters in future expansions?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Unleashed is the last Kickstarter, not the last BattleCON release; so yeah, the box is future-proofed to have room for later releases

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Gaebril posted:

Dumb question maybe: Unleashed says it can hold 110 tuckboxes, but I can't figure out how we got to that many characters.

Devastation: 32
War: 18
Fate: 10
Trials: 10
Wanderers: 10

That's just 80. What am I missing? Are they planning to release another 30 characters in future expansions?

Don't forget to include Merjoram, Rheye, Andrus, Evil Hikaru, Takeshi, Borneo, and Juto, who aren't officially counted in those numbers. Probably Dolores too, at this rate. And the other four social stretch goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Had a tough close game with Karin against Rukyuk that I almost won! Managed to set up an unavoidable Lunar Cross finisher that put him at 3 health, but I was already at 2 health and he managed to land the final hit before me. If I was a little bit more familiar with the match-up, I think I could have won.