Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
It's Army of Darkness: The TV Show, which is what I expected and not at all bad. Much like AoD, some of it's good, some of it isn't, and sheer charisma holds it together, though it's looking to be provided by more than just Bruce here, which should be a nice switch-up. I'll be back for it next week, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Coming from someone who has not seen any of the Evil Dead movies I can objectively say that was awesome. Way over the top which I expected based upon what people have said of Sam Raimi's movies, and I was not disappointed. I think it's going to be a fun show, and now I have to go and watch the movies to get some more context.

Raimi is pretty crazy since similar to the movies the TV show had lots of tonal shifts but it still works somehow. You have slapstick physical comedy like the retail scene/boning in the dive bar bathroom and then it flips tone to more creepy serious horror such as when the police officers make the house call.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not even sure you could call this Army of Darkness The Series. The horror portions of it were decently creepy. I would say its more of a combination between the first Evil Dead and Army of Darkness with just a TOUCH of Evil Dead 2.

If you look at the house scene, when her partner changed to normal to gently caress with her, there was a lot more menacing undercurrent than the same scene in Evil Dead 2 which was played more for laughs/shock.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Speaking of the house scene, yeah when that girl twisted her head around and came at them backwards, that was super loving creepy.

And awesome.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

bull3964 posted:

I'm not even sure you could call this Army of Darkness The Series. The horror portions of it were decently creepy. I would say its more of a combination between the first Evil Dead and Army of Darkness with just a TOUCH of Evil Dead 2.

If you look at the house scene, when her partner changed to normal to gently caress with her, there was a lot more menacing undercurrent than the same scene in Evil Dead 2 which was played more for laughs/shock.

That's true, the house sequence was more Evil Dead than AoD. If they manage to keep a balance there, I'll be happy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Speaking of the house scene, yeah when that girl twisted her head around and came at them backwards, that was super loving creepy.

And awesome.

i loved the spinning flashlight scene

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bruce is on the latest Nerdist podcast and he has some pretty good stories.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Chokes McGee posted:

The best part were the sticky notes. Why did he have it translated? Why didn't he already have the passage to undo it written down too? Why would he keep it in an easily accessible trunk in the first place?

The answers to all these questions, and more, is "Ash."

It's seriously the thing that popped into my head. Him reading the god drat book of the dead to get laid. A half a second thought of "Why the gently caress" and then "...oh...right...Ash." It made perfect sense and is really the only way to have the deadites come back...because Ash wanted pussy.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Illinois Smith posted:

That was super rad. Kinda disappointing Raimi isn't gonna pull a Soderbergh and direct the whole season but as long as he stays involved as a writer / producer I have a lot of faith this will manage to keep up the pilot's quality.

I was thinking of this as well. The Knick is really awesome and I was hoping that Raimi would have done the same thing.

Regardless, I was raised on the Evil Dead series, and this was basically the greatest thing ever.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

David D. Davidson posted:

The one thing I thought was missing was ash's evil hand. I wanted him to have kept it in a cage like some kind of demented pet.

In one of the video games he returns to the cabin and his hand is still running around. Eventually you catch it and learn a spell to control it remotely and use it to crawl into small openings and get keys or whatever. They could potentially do something with it yet.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I tried a quick look through the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but does anyone know why there was no S-Mart?

I look forward to the upcoming flashback episode dedicated to the story of the apparent liquidation of the S-Mart company during the recession.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

BisonDollah posted:

I tried a quick look through the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but does anyone know why there was no S-Mart?

I look forward to the upcoming flashback episode dedicated to the story of the apparent liquidation of the S-Mart company during the recession.

It sounds like S-Mart is gone for the same reason that Army of Darkness isn't mentioned or referenced: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3357283/doesnt-ash-work-s-mart-ash-vs-evil-dead/

Long story short, they no longer had the rights to use "S-Mart" or anything from Army of Darkness.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
I liked this, some questionable CGI but what are you gonna do. It'll be interesting to see what other directors will do as that was definitely Raimi. Are they just going to copy his style or what?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Marf Revus posted:

I liked this, some questionable CGI but what are you gonna do. It'll be interesting to see what other directors will do as that was definitely Raimi. Are they just going to copy his style or what?

What are you really expecting from Evil Dead the TV series? Of course it's going to mimic the style of the evil dead movies.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

GreenNight posted:

Bruce is on the latest Nerdist podcast and he has some pretty good stories.

Definitely worth a listen, just for his TJ Hooker story, and Shatner impression.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bruce Campbell is really awesome off camera and is a really good, natural at storytelling

plus he still has the best strong chin in show biz

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you don't have Starz in your cable plan, and don't feel like having to resort to :filez: to see the first episode of Evil Dead, just take a gander at this Facebook Video link:

https://www.facebook.com/ashvsevildead/videos/506290926219371/

The full 1st episode in HD, totally free! (Well, discounting whatever you pay for cable internet..) Don't know how long it'll last so saddle up!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 3, 2015

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BisonDollah posted:

It's been a good 20+ years, S-Mart has probably long since closed down.

I mean anything they don't have the rights to bring up probably doesn't need to be given the large time gap. And they've already hinted they're down with shipping Ash and Co. to other time periods in later seasons, soooo

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer
I mean really I don't know what all you fuckers are talking about, Shop smart, shop SA-Mart!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

I mean really I don't know what all you fuckers are talking about, Shop smart, shop SA-Mart!

*Ash orders shotgun from SA mart, gets back a Nerf bow and arrow and is immediately killed by deadites*

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Yes you do.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

It's been a good 20+ years, S-Mart has probably long since closed down.
You can also plainly see that Ash is a complete idiot when if comes to a day job, so it's pretty likely that he would have been fired from multiple *-Marts during that time.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I haven't seen anyone comment, but one of the more amusing momentsd was right after Ash got his chainsaw, after all the buildup of him getting back into hero mode, then getting the final piece, chopping off the old lady's head, and then, after that nostalgia release, cutting to a literal blood moneyshot over his sidekick's face as he gasped.

loving loved the zany Raimi direction. loving loved Bruce and the new cast. Loved the lovely cheesy special effects, some of the cgi blood was meh but there was SOOOO MUUUUUCH BLOOOOOD and most of it was real. Loved that all the heroes got the poo poo beat out of them brutally and comically.

To echo a sentiment others have said here, that sure was an Evil Dead TV show. I wasn't expecting much and it really knocked my socks off, or as the case may be, chainsawed my feet off.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I liked the pilot. I thought that it was good and funny.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Everyone here's already said my sentiment - that poo poo ruled the schools, but drat if I didn't want more practical blood :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Pretty much Army of Evil Dead: the TV Show. That's a good thing. Also, the cop scene was legit horror, gorgeously shot, and intense.

The energy from Bruce Campbell's mugging could power a small town, so it's more than enough to run this show.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

If it was possible, I would want this to air every week day, like a soap opera. Wow, that was good. I'm glad Scotty; etc. have been brought back to continuity.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

You can also plainly see that Ash is a complete idiot when if comes to a day job, so it's pretty likely that he would have been fired from multiple *-Marts during that time.

The other thing I loved about the light bulb scene is how even his cleaning up the mess was pretty half assed.

Ash was pretty much put in this planet to kill deadites and please ladies.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

etalian posted:

The other thing I loved about the light bulb scene is how even his cleaning up the mess was pretty half assed.

Ash was pretty much put in this planet to kill deadites and please deadite ladies.

Dude has had his dick in everything.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dead Precedents posted:

It's seriously the thing that popped into my head. Him reading the god drat book of the dead to get laid. A half a second thought of "Why the gently caress" and then "...oh...right...Ash." It made perfect sense and is really the only way to have the deadites come back...because Ash wanted pussy.

The drawn out "Oh gently caress" right after he flashed back to doing this was my favorite line of the whole episode.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

It sucks this is in a half-hour format, because waiting every week for a new one is gonna be rough if they keep this up.

Everyone complaining about the CGI blood last week should be real happy this week, they didn't skimp on the practical stuff. I thought all the worry about Raimi not directing this one was overblown because it was really good.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Episode 2 awesome so far!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Holy poo poo the fork...

:boom:

And yes, the real fake blood is EVERYWHERE this week

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 8, 2015

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fantastic episode. I couldn't stop laughing at "and cut it up with my chainsaw.....arm."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I imagine Ash's way of exposing deadites consists solely of punching them in the face.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Better than Episode 1. Goddamn, they are nailing it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

young, dumb and full of conflicting emotions

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So much blood....

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Short but sweet. This has just the right energy to it and glad to see the visual style is consistent even when Raimi's not in the director's chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is a good television show.

I'm really peeved at how god damned short the episodes are though. :(

• Locked thread