Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That trailer pretty much alleviated any doubts I had about this project, I mean goddamn :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's just a shame this is premiering on Halloween instead of, you know, early October so you get the whole Halloween month/season to enjoy it.

But I guess I'm going to have Walking Dead, Fargo and (to a much lesser extent) American Horror Story to enjoy until then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

X-O posted:

I... did not really care for that. And it makes me wonder if I was seeing the original movies again for the first time right now if I'd even like them because it seemed pretty in line with the movies. It's been a couple years since I saw them and now I almost don't want to watch them again in case I find my taste has changed so much that it would ruin my memories of them. I'm not sure I'll watch anymore of this show at this point and that's really sad. Again it's nothing the show did but I just didn't find myself enjoying it at all.

I'd definitely not go so far as to say I "didn't enjoy it at all" because I did enjoy it, it just feels very Now Raimi. Drag Me To Hell was okay, but not really all that good, and this felt in-line with that more than the old movies. I have faith that it'll get a lot better though, the pilot had to reintroduce all this old baggage (the universe I mean, not Bruce) and then from there it'll probably get good and crazy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

If you were watching this and not hooting and hollering when that guy got thrown into the antlers or when Ash's shotgun flew up from that secret compartment then you are probably not in the right headspace to enjoy this show. Otherwise it was amazing.

I was laughing at the baby doll because it was a such a Sam Raimi "why the hell not?" moment. There was no reason for the Evil to possess a little doll, but it did just because. Also the parking lot shot where they did the old Ram-o-Cam from the original movies made me feel all warm and fuzzy, like I was really watching a new Evil Dead thing.

Already saw that shotgun moment in the trailer so it was kind of spoiled, still pretty awesome besides. I'm just not absolutely gushing over it, but maybe it's just me :shrug:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

I tried a quick look through the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but does anyone know why there was no S-Mart?

I look forward to the upcoming flashback episode dedicated to the story of the apparent liquidation of the S-Mart company during the recession.

It sounds like S-Mart is gone for the same reason that Army of Darkness isn't mentioned or referenced: http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3357283/doesnt-ash-work-s-mart-ash-vs-evil-dead/

Long story short, they no longer had the rights to use "S-Mart" or anything from Army of Darkness.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not sure that they really follow "rules" but totally obliterating the head seemed the way to go. Cutting off the head never seemed to work, Linda was decapitated and her headless body could still get around and the head kept talking.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Did Ash or anybody else get bitten or attacked recently, I can't remember. In the movies any attack, even with a weapon, inflicted by a Deadite spread the Evil to the victim and turned them into a Deadite. I could've sworn Ash's good hand got bitten by Roper in this latest episode.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Deadites are basically bored assholes with an eternity of time to kill.

Yeah, my new theory is that the way to beat a Deadite is just to make them bored of fighting and give up so that they leave their host. That's why literally anything could potentially beat them and why they don't always take over people who get bitten/attacked, or why they can just possess any dead body to gently caress with people or use them as bait. You might chop a Deadite's limbs off and they could keep coming or they could just give up and leave their host body, a Deadite might take over your dead grandma or it might possess your best friend in a moment of weakness. It's whatever they feel like doing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Burkion posted:

If you haven't been paying attention, she's clearly not human.

You don't Back Stab the Evil and be a regular human at any rate.

I thought that was the Brujo coming back to stop her from pursuing Ash. I assumed she was a backstabber because she was supposedly trying to stop the Evil, which was Ash's goal, but was also trying to stop the man whose side she should be on. I never took it to mean she was working with the Evil at any point.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Party Down which is worth the subscription fee all on its own as well.

Yes, all two seasons. :v:

I mean they're two seasons that are better than a lot of shows that are 5+ seasons, but still.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Because right now there's literally no filler, to tack on 25 more minutes would be adding 25 minutes of filler. Either that or decrease the episodes from 10 to 5 and then make the episodes an hour long. Sam Raimi's style is breakneck-speed constant quipping and action, if a character isn't making a joke, moving the plot along or killing something then it's wasted time. And I don't know that either Raimi or the guest writers/directors could keep that kind of pace up for ten hour-long episodes per season.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

What were you hoping for in those 12 extra minutes that you aren't getting now? Like, that actually kind of hurts your case even more.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My only complaint with the length as it is now is that it feels like they have to cut the action in weird places. I've never liked when shows end with an exciting build-up and then just do a hard cut to credits. Maybe that's what some would call a "cliffhanger" but to me it just feels like the episode is unfinished. You can do a final "sting", like an unexpected character shows up or some poo poo is about to go down after a moment of quiet, but don't do an action scene like Ash fighting Evil Ash and then just cut.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

etalian posted:

it was long boring and didn't have enough boobies. I'm more a death wish man myself

As soon as Ash said that I knew I was due for that Death Wish marathon I'd been meaning to get to.

Starting it now :getin:

Also, loving awesome finale to a great first season.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I've always thought that the reason Ash is so good at killing deadites is because he values saving his own rear end over everything else. His ego is so huge, and he thinks so highly of himself, that he just can't allow himself to be killed. If other people are spared, that's cool too, but Ash is always looking out for Number One.

He's like a coward who's so cowardly that he actually turns back around to being brave. Or at least appearing brave.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else caught the joke, but when Brock calls Ruby "Bigfoot," it was likely referencing a hugely popular Six Million Dollar Man episode where he fights Bigfoot, played by Andre the Giant. As an aside, it also come up in the Venture Bros, where the Six Million Dollar Man-like character is actually in a relationship with Bigfoot.

No, he calls her bigfoot because of Pablo's lovely drawing of her from earlier in the episode.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

This show is ridiculously incredible. Hail to the king, baby. Also great to finally see the legend, the myth Ted Raimi show up.

I'm not too proud to admit I did a fist-pump in the air when he made his appearance.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Drifter posted:

http://i.imgur.com/MdChJYC.gif

I don't know how to embed gifv or mp4

I think it was the prince albert that really did it for me, that was the cherry on top of the bowel sundae.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 31, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

OK that's what I thought. It's quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard of and I wouldn't even accuse tv execs of being that bad. There's 0 chance that's what they were going for.

Then what. Tell us why it's called Stan Against Evil, we'd all like to know.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

That was my first reaction, then when they do that first closeup on his eyes I was almost convinced it was Brad Dourif.

The guy has even more of a crazy, beady-eyed stare than Brad Dourif so I'm liking him in the role so far. As other people have said he also has that Tommy Wiseau quality of being really sleazy and creepy looking.

To me, he looks like how I remembered Brad Dourif looking in the first Child's Play movie. I remembered him being way more creepy-looking, but then when I went back and watched Child's Play he just looked like regular old Brad Dourif but with long dark hair.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

He farted and tripped over it, jeez it's like you guys are bad at watching TV or something.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

So was the car showing up in the previous episode actually the crew from the start of this episode, and that's when Ash made his move?

I just realized it now.

Yep. I had it figured out around then, but they were good enough about the pacing and direction to throw me off in the latest episode. I thought maybe Ash was actually broken and the gang just showed up too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

They maybe could've redeemed that last scene if everybody in the crowd was looking at each other like "what the gently caress is he talking about?" since if he actually did change history then none of that stuff he was rambling about ever actually happened.

• Locked thread