Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo. I honestly had very low expectations and that trailer shattered all of them.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And was officially endorsed by the writer/director and star of the original. I mean, it wasn't my particular cup of tea, but I get why people liked it.

The problem is it was a decent horror movie, and it doesn't deserve hate but.. at this point, Ash IS the Evil Dead, and the heroine from that movie just failed to live up to the legacy, even compared to ED1 regular guy Ash.

My other beef with the film is the deadites all became creepy in a "We will take you over and mutilate you" kind of way; where as the whole thing that makes them Deadites and not just stock monsters is the fact they primarily want to gently caress with your head more than anything; mentally torturing people before doing anything to them is one constant throughout the franchise.

So long story short.. a case of "Decent enough movie, but not right for the franchise."

thrakkorzog posted:

Well, it was decent horror remake of Evil Dead, but we also have 30 years of The Evil Dead franchise being pretty silly.

The deadite thing is really important, even in the first one. There the possessed girl sat around just driving people bat poo poo insane, and only attacked at the veryyyy end, and that was made them so memorable. The new ones are one step from mindless kill monsters.

Again, I didn't hate the new movie. If it was it's own thing, I'd probably be less harsh.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

There were definitely some fun Raimi visual flourishes throughout. Solid pilot.

Continuity wise it looks like they're fooling around with whatever makes a good story yet again- there's no indication he ever went back in time like he does at the end of EDII.

I figure they kept that out because that would have taken a lot of explaining. Way too much for a pilot. It'd been a mistake to get into it now, even if they ultimately keep it.

... it's honestly something probably better to ignore for the first season, if not forever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What do you want to bet that the "hero of legend" is the cop, and Ash is going to dick that all up?

Vastarien posted:

Loved the first episode. Yeah, some of the CGI stuff was a little iffy, but it doesn't bother me too much. Still had a lot of fun with it. I'm a little worried about the dude who did Silent Hill: Revelation (ugh, that loving movie) directing the next episode, though. But, whatever. Glad to have Ash back after all these years.

I'd be more worried if it was written by the guy who did Silent Hill: Revelation. The direction wasn't bad, but what the gently caress are you going to do when the script says "Silent Hill is a lot like Mortal Kombat since it's a game, let's have Pyramid Head boss-battle as a good guy, that'd be awesome."

It honestly wasn't incompetently shot. The look of the movie (aside from a poo poo budget) wasn't terrible. I'll give the guy a shot.

After all, I'm kind of glad people stopped blaming David Fincher for the piece of poo poo Alien 3 turned into. There was only so much polishing of a turd that could be done from behind the camera.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SeANMcBAY posted:

How is this show so loving good. This second episode was somehow better then the first. The dinner scene was amazing.

People were worried but I agree. I had even more of a blast with this episode and I liked the first episode a lot.

All these years I was disappointed we'd never see an Evil Dead 4 proper, and instead we get an awesome TV show. That's better than I could have hoped. And they even made the time gap into an advantage.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That fan edit sounds really neat. I always liked fan edits like that, it sucks studios have been cracking down on them (though kind of understandable).

Deakul posted:

This is a good television show.

I'm really peeved at how god damned short the episodes are though. :(

I'm not. I'd love more, of course, but the 30 minute format lets them tell stories with concentrated Ash in them, without burning out the character. Comedy heavy things are very, very hard to sustain for long formats and the 30 minute format (since it's a true 30 minutes and not a network 24 minutes or the like) is perfect for that.

I rather have a series that lasts several seasons with short but sweet episodes than one that burns out a few seasons in at an hour long. Like the famous quote goes, "Always leave 'em wanting more."

ED: Plus Starz has already showed a willingness to do extended episodes, as well. I'm sure if the creators came to Starz and said "This finale is going to be awesome but it needs to be an extra 20 minutes to work," they won't say no. It's nice to see so many people on the same page working on this.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 8, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I'm not sure that they really follow "rules" but totally obliterating the head seemed the way to go. Cutting off the head never seemed to work, Linda was decapitated and her headless body could still get around and the head kept talking.

Ash keeps chopping them up and burying them under crosses while it doesn't actually do anything is actually kind of hilarious. He had to cut the heads in two to shut them up before and even that didn't fully work.

Hell his clone that he chopped into cubes rebuilt himself entirely. But even knowing all this it makes perfect sense for Ash to keep doing it, because he's Ash.

BJPaskoff posted:

The Deadites seem to think it's fun to play with peoples' heads. Turning them into one of them is boring. The more people know what the Deadites are, the less they want to turn them because it's more fun to gently caress with them. At least that's my loose theory, I don't want to think too deep into it.

That was bar none my biggest problem with the remake.

Either do it for horror or do it for laughs, but to take the Deadites "gently caress with everyone" away from them is to make them no longer Deadites.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Canned Panda posted:

I noticed something in the second episode that tipped off the fact that in this series, Army of Darkness never happened: Ash has to reload the gun after two shots.

If for some reason Ash's father is still alive they should get the guy who played Herschel on Walking Dead to be his father. Unlimited ammo rampage.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

This is a few pages back but it makes me think of something

I think a lot of the 45 minute prime time TV shows nowadays could be done a LOT better if they were cut down to just 25-30ish minutes.

Stuff like Arrow, Flash, shows where they clearly want to do these big things but budget keeps getting in the way- less run time means less space to fill means better budget means better pacing out stuff.

Kind of like Classic Doctor Who compared to New Doctor Who, where some classic episodes could have twice as much happen in half the time.

The problem is prime TV has the ad issue Starz doesn't.

That means a 30 minute TV show on primetime is between 20-24 minutes, tops. An hour long show is 45 minutes-ish. 24 is too low, 45 is too high, and on a network.. you're locked into either. The runtime last episode allowed it to be lean and still hit everything we wanted it to hit; at 45 it might have had to pad, and at say, 23, it'd lost a lot.

Ideally, as is the future thanks to Netflix, there won't be a thing as mandatory run-times; just "however long you need it to be." House of Cards episodes can vary by 15-20 minutes or more. I think the same is true of Daredevil. It's the future for sure; giving writers the freedom to make their episode whatever length they feel appropriate; if this one's a little shorter or a little longer, that's cool.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 11, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Wow you chose the worst part to turn the movie off.

Seriously it pretty much all kicks off after the 40 minute mark. Everything builds up to it.

Trust me when I say, the Deadites in the first movie are fantastic and still might be my favorites as far as loving with Ash goes.

Yep.

It lacks the humor of later Evil Deads but seriously, go back, start back up, and watch the last half. It gets entertaining as hell and everything goes ape-poo poo, even if it's not quite as ape-poo poo as Evil Dead II.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I totally forgot that the 2013 movie existed. Never watched it, I assume the series is ignoring it?

They talked about crossing over with it sometime back before the series, but nothing now.

That said, I wouldn't rule anything out. Like a lot of people have pointed out, it's easier to get a crossover on a TV show than a movie. If a season or two rolls around and the actress is available, I could totally see having her on for a few episodes only vaguely recalling the movie events. Likely very vaguely.

I'd rather see Ash vs Jason or Ash vs Freddy or something though. Which again on a TV show, might actually happen; you have to remember these IPs even show up in freaking Mortal Kombat games at this point and aren't exactly blockbusters anymore. So if the show can deliver an episode or two like that down the line, I'd be totally down.

Burkion posted:

Apparently the deal is that Ash DID go back in time and Army of Darkness pretty much did happen, they just can't show it because they don't have the rights to it.

So I can't wait til they gently caress around with that a bit. Legally they can dance around it by the fact that Ash went back in time in Evil Dead 2

Is that why Ash no longer works at S-Mart? The AoD rights holders own S-Mart? That was a surprise to me.

Before I realized that I assumed there'd be something down the line explaining how S-Mart got closed down after the theatrical end of AOD.

ED: Also kind of a shame because outside of AoD, S-Mart is really a great name for a store. Even it's slogan works.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 12, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

Europe got a different ending from the US. I think I prefer the US ending because it ends on a more comedic-horror Evil Dead style punch, but the European ending is cool too.

My preference is the Director's Cut up until the ending, where I prefer the theatrical ending. The slept too long thing is amusing (and opened some interesting doors) but the S-Mart ending nails the movie and ends it on a hell yeah.

I still remember the first time I saw the Director's Cut. I happened to have AoD on in the background off the sci-fi network of all things (Before it was the hilariously stupid Syfy) and suddenly scenes were happening I'd never seen before - and I'd seen the movie at least two dozen times. So it was a pretty big holy poo poo.

WarLocke posted:

The little 2-minute behind-the-scenes segment after the episode had a shot that looked like he had a tiny banana hammock on.

I'd assume so. It'd be a little hard to explain to your actor why it's vital they have their dong flapping in the breeze the whole time.

I really dig what they did with this creature. Interesting powers, cool effects, all around bad rear end.

I think I'm firmly happy we got this show instead of another Evil Dead movie.. doubly so since a second season is already confirmed.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 19, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I was initially disappointed by the half hour run time, I have to admit, I've turned around on it. There's zero dead air in this series. Even the best hour long shows I watch, unless they have legitimate reason to be that long end up with lots of downtime in most episodes.

Downtime would not work well with this show. So a half hour let's them concentrate just the awesome parts, and breeze through the rest. For a show like this that requires energy and is also comedic, I think it lets them keep the pace up and avoid burnout.

Definitely see why they did it now, and endorse it.

bull3964 posted:

Nope. Starz doesn't have a standalone streaming service and they don't put episodes up to purchase on any service until the blurays come out.

Best bet it to buddy up with someone who has starz and share their starz play login.

The first episode is free http://www.starz.com/originals/ashvsevildead/video/0481357cab164e38a5ca162c3a340a67.

Honestly if someone can't get Starz, I'd almost be a bit questionable and suggest *cough cough* :filez: followed by buying the Blu-Rays when they come out to support the show. I loving hate when networks refuse to offer alternative methods of viewing their stuff and I think it's actually really unfortunate they haven't put these up on Amazon Prime or something. I'm lucky to still have access to Starz, myself.

Chokes McGee posted:

"Oh I hope a deadite doesn't rise from this grave to attack me HA GOTCHA FUCKER YOU AND ME ARE GONNA HAVE A LITTLE CHAT" was great. Like, the deadites hate Ash, but they are legit scared of Lawless. It's kind of refreshing.

My theory is she's related to one of the "Dark Ones" mentioned this episode. If she is I look forward to that showdown.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 19, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

robot roll call posted:

I never thought I would say it, but I think this show is better than getting Evil Dead 4. I'm really starting to like the whole "team" and there is a great potential story arc of Pablo eventually becoming a badass Jefe like Ash.

The way I look at it, that'd been about 3 episodes of the show and then likely nothing ever again, or years between. There, we've only only for a few more episodes left this season, but another season coming around too!

And I agree, the 30 minute run time is working to it's advantage. The last two episodes felt like an hour long setup episode, but they split it into two halves well, so I don't think it's going to tie their hands badly and as mentioned, we always get some good energy at that pace.

... meanwhile on the midseason finale of Walking Dead zombies can be pouring in through the door but they then have to cut to a quiet room just upstairs and have a 15 minute talking scene that goes nowhere and features a lot of slooooooow mooootiioon. Just because you have an hour doesn't mean you should have an hour. So props to this show for making that decision.

WarLocke posted:

Take a cue from Agents of SHIELD, get a shotgun-axe

For what it's worth, I could see Mac and Ash being shotgun buddies. He knows all about cutting hands off at the wrist, when they go bad.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 1, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreenNight posted:

Madison, WI.

I did forget to mention, this is Early Bird prices, so before 11am, which is the only time we go see movies.

Holy poo poo I should move to WI. I just dropped $27 a pop on 4DX tickets.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

I think 2 seasons is all this show probably needs, I'm not really sure how they can stretch it out.

Make the second season a full 24 episodes or something.

They've got lots of ways to stretch it out if they play with the formula. The most obvious being time travel. The less obvious being horror-movie crossovers, something I wouldn't have thought possible years ago but might actually happen in a setting like this (since the star power of the big icons aren't all that hot anymore).

The Dark Project posted:

Dammit, they better find some way to bring Amanda back and have her be ok. I was totally not ready for that.

I did pull a "HOLY poo poo." I was like "Maybe they'll say she survived somehow, but that wound looks pretty fatal..." then bam, antler gut.

Require More Fire posted:

As shocked as I am that Amanda is killed, I'll be even more shocked if she's not brought back in some form or another before the season is done, and I don't meant as a Deadite to get killed again.

Calling it now: Ruby offers to use the book of the dead to bring her back, and she comes back totally loving psycho.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aurora posted:

Oh, welp. I didn't see anything about it when I was glancing at the Wikipedia article...and of course it's tucked away in a single sentence under production. :v:

Yep, and I'm glad too. One season was more than I could have hoped for, the fact it's actually been a critical success and is getting a 2nd season is freaking perfect.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chris Knight posted:

Naw. 30 minutes is pretty much perfect for this show.

In a perfect (Netflix) world, episodes would run precisely "as long as they need to."

Would Episode A be better served by being 24 minutes? Would Episode B be better served by 40? Well, do that then!

Unfortunately Starz is not digital only and they still have to deal with a time slot issue. I am a "Less is more" kind of guy; as they say, brevity is the soul of wit. True of anything, doubly so for comedy. None of the episodes have felt rushed, and almost never have dragged, because they're very in sync with the time. Do I hope we get the occasional 40 minute episode again now and then? Sure. Season finals going 15 over would be great. Same with season openers or big middle episodes. But if I have to pick one or the other I'm picking the half hour format: I don't want them to burn out.

ED: Either that or go full hour with the episodes, and trim the number in half. That can work too. But the fact the show has no filler and is just balls to the wall all the time is why it works.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 29, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Overall a really enjoyable season. I like the length of each episode and can't wait for season 2.

Yep.

The fact Starz lets them go overtime on finales and openers is perfect. It means that for the big times they need the extra time, they can have it, it's just that they don't need it most of the time.

Brevity being the soul of wit and all that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, it looks like it might even be better than the first season. And I really liked the first season.

If you had told me ten years ago we'd be getting such an awesome TV Series out of Evil Dead with the original actors I'd laughed. Plus, I totally gave up on ever seeing another movie even before the reboot, then the reboot came along and I was like "That's it then," except for the stinger and talk of some universe crossover stuff that sounded impossible.

Then we got this and even Campbell's age works perfectly to the point I'm actively glad we didn't get a 4th movie years ago. It's about as perfect a way to revisit the franchise as you can get. gently caress reboots, this is the way to do it something with an IP decades later, Hollywood.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Someone mentioned re-animator watching the trailer and now I truly do not know why Jeffery Combs has never been in anything Evil Dead related before.

So yeah, my dream casting doesn't have it's sights high: I just want that guy to make a recurring appearance for a season. Villain, ally, victim.. it should happen.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress. Yes.

It's so good they sorted that out.

I really, really look forward to Bruce Campbell telling his traveling companions about his time traveling adventures, preferrably while high off his rear end so they don't believe him.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spookygonk posted:

Oh, mygod.

It's kind of hilarious such a minor thing feels like such a huge thing, but it really does. It's absence was more heavily felt than I even realized.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RandallODim posted:

I'm glad they seem to have hit the balance of horror and comedy out of the gate this season.

I thought the first season was really good, but man, they have found their groove now. I have a feeling this season is going to blow away the first one, which is a tall order.

Any other year this might be hyperbole but I would gladly vote for Bruce Campbell and would be absolutely sure he'd do a better job than Donald Trump

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 1, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love everything about this season so far, I'm really glad this is performing well for Starz. This easily could have been the cult show nobody watched, so it's nice to see it's kicking rear end in general.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

Serious question: has Campbell ever played a character who wasn't a moron, gently caress-up, loser, or a mix of all three?

I'm trying pretty hard to think of one, but I can't.

I don't think those apply to Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tetrapyloctomy posted:

... in between the time I watched this episode and now, Comcast changed it back to subscription-only. Goddamn. The morgue scene was maybe the most vile thing I've seen on television, and definitely one of the funniest. It's just not worth the cost of a Starz subscription.

poo poo, I'd been lucky to have access to Starz but I just realized on Amazon you can't buy the individual episodes.

That said.. it's $7.99 for Amazon Starz a month or something (maybe 9.99?) so that's like $2.50 an episode. That could be far worse.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So this might be old news around here, but Starz apparently already picked up a full season 3 before episode 2 even rolled out. drat nice.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

At this point, i'm almost 100% sure that Starz doesn't even have a Standards & Practices department.

Which makes the writers' jobs easier when coming up with innovative new kills.

I have to admit the fact the Starz is willing to air this earns them so many points in my book, my God.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Luchadork posted:

though it could have been a body double.

It was.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

Thanks for linking that interview. He's so goddamned funny. Love the guy.

Seriously.

I'm not a celebrity interview guy, and expected to watch a few minutes and swap off, but the whole thing was far funnier than most comedies of the same length.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So has anyone seen the trailer for Stan Against Evil?

I have never seen a clear more blatant rip-off of a tv show ever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bal will definitely be an interesting enemy for Ash. The inevitable Ash seduction scene will be amazing.

Speaking of which there's no way that Bal doesn't kill another Linda.

Grinning Goblin posted:

For a second when Baal revealed himself in the police station, he almost reminded me of Tommy Wiseau. I wouldn't quite know how to process Ash fighting Tommy Wiseau as some sort of arch demon from Hell.

You need to play The Room adventure game on newgrounds. It's hilarious and the ending is amazing if you don't shoot yourself.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 2, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RandallODim posted:

Has it already been mentioned that the guy playing Baal sounds like a near perfect Jeffrey Combs impersonator? Because he really was reminding me of Re-Animator Combs in particular this episode.

I still so, so loving want a Jeffry Combs cameo in season 3. Or a recurring part. gently caress, I don't care, just put him in. He's still as awesome as ever.

By the way, I have a somewhat ridiculous theory on how this season might end: I think Ruby is going to die terribly, followed rapidly by Pablo, Kelly and Linda to drive Ash over the edge, Baal claims total victory.. and then he is totally going to rip time a new rear end in a top hat and go back to the start of the season and stop everyone from getting ganked.

Yeah it's a terrible idea with zero evidence but gently caress if I'm not rolling with that as a possibility. If he actually succeeds at killing Pablo or Kelly then I'll think it has more merit. I am basing this off, partially, the fact they got the AOD rights and have used them very sparingly, which says Time Travel is on the menu.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 16, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So who here is concerned for the third season given it's under a new show runner?

I mean granted I looked into the guy, and he is really into Evil Dead and has been working with the team on and off for decades, so it's not like I feel it's in bad hands. But I am worried you won't see quite the same level of batshit insanity we've been getting, either.

Spermanent Record posted:

Nah it was fun and funny but, to me, it felt more like a tribute sketch show rather than a genuine continuation of the series.

I'd rather have it than not have it but season 2 has just blown it out of the water imo.

I loved season 1 but I have to admit season 2 has blown it the gently caress out of the water, too.

There was the slowdown at the shaman, the really failed characterization of Amanda, the lack of things we learned about Ruby.. it had problems. Problems that have largely been fixed and amped up in the second season.

So I'll give you this: Season 2 is definitely superior to Season 1, but I don't think you give some of the better Season 1 episodes enough credit.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Random question: Is there any reason at all to watch Stan Against Evil or is it literally the blatant rip-off it got marketed as?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

That was an awesome episode even though the ending was heart crushing. But I have hope. Pablo's connection to the Necronomicum brought the book back. So I could see the reverse happening.

Ash is dumb enough to undo their entire victory to save Pablo, so I could buy this absolutely. There wouldn't be two episodes left this season if everything was done.

That said, great episode, and the reveal Ash was playing him like a fool was loving hilarious and totally in character. Also I have to give them major props for finally giving Kelly the one thing that kept her from truly being a good emerging Ash: A massive ridiculous rear end beating by something far smaller than herself. In fact I don't think she's ever really gotten her rear end beat hardcore like Ash does until now, and it's great to see she's truly following in his footsteps now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Myron posted:

Bruce Campbell said in an interview that time travel is an option and could be used to correct mistakes, though that was in response to Lee Major's death.

I made a theory a while ago that if The principle characters bit the dust, Ash would probably rip a hole in time, and I still kind of buy it. I think if Kelly dies next episode, there's no way I won't believe it. Though I admit it would be clever if Ash is the one that dies and Kelly has to time travel instead to fix this poo poo.

Total shot in the dark and I won't be remotely disappointed if it turns out to be false, but I can't shake the feeling it'll happen.

ED: I can't help but feel the Sheriff's Daughter might have had plot importance from a few theories too - possibly relating to his father's final words - so there's a lot of poo poo time travel could fix/break here. Probably break more than fix with the way things usually go.

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Or the book could turn him into a half man deadite sidekick they carry around like a backpack.

The other possibility is like Ash's severed hand, since he's the book, Pablo regrows his legs... and his legs regrow him as Bad Pablo.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 21, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So was the car showing up in the previous episode actually the crew from the start of this episode, and that's when Ash made his move?

I just realized it now.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Remulak posted:

Was waiting for her to blow her hand off by shooting the puppet. Nope. And WHAT a missed marketing opportunity - a goddamn Ash puppet right before the holidays!

I too am wondering why the gently caress they aren't selling these immediately. It's like the perfect show tie-in thing.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

I'm pretty sure it was a flashback to an early, pre-possessed Delta time from Ash's house.

I think to Ash's delusion, it was turned into a flashback, but given everything in the place was a manipulation and not a fabrication, it was also the crew pulling up.

So basically: Ash looked out, saw his friends from the Cabin getting out of the Delta, apparently knew what was happening the whole time so figured correctly it was the real gang, who were actually getting out of the Delta. It's really pretty amusingly clever, made far better by the fact the show didn't jump up and down and make sure you noticed it. I like when cool details just happen and they let the audience notice them or not.

tithin posted:

Where's the time travel theories coming from?

Simple: They lost the rights to Time Traveling with the Necronomicon along with AOD, which sounds ridiculous but was actually part of it. They got the AOD rights back this season but have very, very carefully avoided referencing AOD other than the first episode with the chainsaw arm picture, and Ash mentioning the flying demon (which was also ED2, so not necessarily AOD).

Which means they've been sitting on having full access to everything from Army of Darkness and not using it. Which means they've got one hell of a trump card to play in their deck right now.

Sentinel Red posted:

ED2/Army of Darkness in the main - Ruby's 'sister' used the book to open a portal to banish the Evil to, only it just seems to dump both the Evil, Ash and the Oldsmobile in medieval England. Given the book is proven to be capable of it, there may be a passage on Pablo somewhere that they could use to try and undo everything.

(of course if they do, it won't work and will probably just strand them all somewhere terrible or completely gently caress up the world or something because it's Ash)

Assuming the S-Mart ending of AOD is canon, they've got a wonderful chance here to make them screw up on the time travel again and end up in a post apocalyptic future for a few episodes, too. Hell it'd be even funnier if they actually tried to bridge those two endings like they've tried to bridge ED1/ED2 (fuzzy on the details on purpose, of course) and say Ash somehow escaped that future to end up in the S-Mart ending.

OK I'm rambling but I find the way the show has this "All possible canon is canon, even if it at odds with itself" attitude hilarious in a good way. Though I've wondered sometimes if they went with the popular "skip the recreation part" concept and are basically treating the canon as: ED1 up until Ash is turned -> ED2.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

The real question is where the gently caress the Necronomicon comes from at the Cabin considering Ash brings the one from the past into the future after it was destroyed.

They should say that old wise alchemist guy in the castle actually destroyed a fake or something.

• Locked thread