Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Doubtlessly other Raimi/Campbell collaborators will show up in minor "Shemp" roles (and if you don't know what a "Shemp" is, go read If Chins Could Kill), but as of now, IMDB has nothing beyond the main cast.

I really don't know what else to say at this point. Oh wait, of course I do.

Groovy.

Really? "Shop smart, shop S-Mart."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And was officially endorsed by the writer/director and star of the original. I mean, it wasn't my particular cup of tea, but I get why people liked it.

Well, it was decent horror remake of Evil Dead, but we also have 30 years of The Evil Dead franchise being pretty silly.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I wouldn't say that it picked up right where it left off, but this was always gonna be an uphill battle. Getting right back into the groove of a widely beloved property after 20 years -- especially when your continuity's been hosed by rights issues since even the second movie, and when each movie is kind of its own beast anyway -- would've been impossible, and there were definitely some spots where I thought it was trying a little too hard.

But I'll be hosed if that's not close enough. It was cool seeing Raimi evolve through the marathon from a lo-fi DIY filmmaker with a knack for creeping people out (The Evil Dead), to a balls-to-the-wall action filmmaker with a strong taste for slapstick (Army of Darkness), to a guy that put all of it together and developed a sense of patience (the pilot). I don't think AoD-era Raimi would've thought of the flashlight spin, how it illuminated the faces of the cop and her newly-minted deadite partner for brief moments, one at a time. The new characters work great, and that ending? loving RIGHTEOUS. I could probably complain about the use of CG, but I suspect it's an unfortunate necessity on a TV schedule and budget. Besides, I suspect every other person in this thread will do that for me.

Also, the Season Preview looks outstanding.

It seems kind of silly complaining about special effects on anything Evil Dead related, since it's not like this is a film series known for pushing the boundaries of special effects. Even in Army of Darkness a lot of the special effects looked like something out of the 60's. For comparison, it came out within six months of Jurassic Park. I'm not saying Army of Darkness is a bad movie, it's a movie carried by the story and the characters, and if the special effects were made by the lowest bidder, then whatever, it just adds to the charm of the movie.

I thought the CGI fight worked well enough as a sort of, OH poo poo, thing I did not expect to see today.

Edit: So during the Evil Dead marathon, Starz was putting up various hashtags for the scenes that were about to happen, like #groovy. I hate myself for laughing at #treescompany right before you know what happened.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 31, 2015

• Locked thread