Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Ok, I'll do this one too. Hey, I played one game, now I've signed up for two at once!

At least, it seems like there is a spot still open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

And so begins my second game of "I don't know what the hell is going on."

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

jon joe posted:

Now I'm confused.

Isn't that the motto of Mafia?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Yes, but what is your alignment in the game?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

I know I've only played one game and it's still early, but I'm surprised that Taste doesn't have like 50 posts yet. Why are you being so quiet Taste?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Pinterest Mom posted:

he's busy writing angry emails to anita sarkeesian instead

And just how do you know what he's doing?

So are you going to jump to defend Taste during this game too?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

jon joe posted:

I'm officially confused, so I apologize.

Hey TMM, what did you mean by this?

I was just teasing PMom a bit based on the one (and only) game of Mafia I've played. A lot of my interaction early in that game was with PMom and Taste, so I feel more comfortable joking a bit with them.

And since PMom has confirmed it, yes in that game he would quickly defend Taste and it made me suspicious, but in the end all three of us were town.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

jon joe posted:

Why do I play mafia?

Because arguing is a spectator sport?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Everyone ITT is sorry.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Badminton?

Today when I unwrapped my sausage McMuffin I found double the sausage. Is that a good omen?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

So I have a few newbie/possibly stupid question.

First, even though this game doesn't start with a traditional scum team, I don't need to change how I look at people right? I should still be basing my cases on whether I feel a person is being sincere and trying to help the town or if they are being insincere and trying to mislead the town.

Also, am I correct in assuming that this game gets harder for town as it goes on? Even if we do lynch a cultist during the day, the leader can just get a new one at night. Or do we end up hoping the SK does the dirty work by either being recruited or directly targeting the leader?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Well I thought they might seem possibly stupid because they are kind of obvious. But since this is just my second game ever, I'd rather ask an obvious question than make an incorrect assumption.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Kleedrac posted:

Wait your vote on me is serious?! The game hadn't even started really. This sure seems like scum going for an easy lynch;

##Vote Pinterest Mom

This is a bad vote. First of all, PMom moved his vote from you a while ago. Secondly, while my gut is telling me to be suspicious of PMom, but I don't know if it's actual doubt or just residual feelings from the last game. Either way, I feel like you saying someone is scum looking for an easy lynch this early in the game raises more suspicions about you than the person you are accusing.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Somberbrero posted:

how's that?

I just think using absolutes on D1 isn't very helpful. So saying 'you're scum' is going to draw my attention more than saying 'I think you're being very suspicious.'

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

I'll post a few answers, but since I'm phone posting I'm not going to be quoting. If I miss something, it's not intentional just point it out and I'll get back to later.

The first thing that I'll say is that once again I feel a little lost being the new guy because it seems like a lot of D1 stuff is based on meta data from other games and I clearly don't have much experience there.

Kleedrac, I'm actually a bit on your side because I don't think PMom voting for you based on joke votes is a good vote either. In my first game Poison Mushroom cast a vote for me on D1 because she felt like I was trying to hard to fit in during joke phase and a lot of people jumped on her for it and she ended up lynched. However, I had an issue with the absolute tone of your post because we don't have enough information to be absolute yet. If you had just said what you did in your other post about not really finding anyone scummy yet but we need to vote for someone then I could have respected the vote. I might not agree with it, but I could understand the logic behind it. I don't think I'd say 'very', but I do think you're a little suspicious right now.

PMom - I know it's fine to be wrong. I think the absolute thing is just a D1 thing for me. Hell, I called you scum on D2 without blinking an eye. But for some reason it just feels wrong to me to use absolutes on D1. Maybe that's just something I'll adjust to after a few more games.

Somber - 'isn't very helpful' doesn't necessarily translate to being scum, but I can understand voting for someone who isn't being helpful. But if we're going to vote for someone who isn't going to be helpful during the game then I'd take aim at imgay, although that's probably based more off the last game where he was town but didn't really help at all.

As for who I find suspicious? I'm general, everyone. Specifically, at this point in time? My gut says PMom but again that may just be residual suspicion from last game. The part of me wants to be suspicious of Somber for that whole 'I'm the leader' joke thing. While I'm almost certain it's just a joke, there's also the possibility that it got thrown out in joke phase simply because nobody would believe it. And now I'm slightly suspicious of Kleedrac because of his tone and defensiveness. But if we're looking to do a policy vote then like I said I'd be looking at imgay.

So there you have it. Did I miss anything?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

So we've got a little over an hour to go? Is there any more discussion?

If we're going to take a shot in the dark, I think I'll shoot at the . It's shinier!

##vote Somberbrero

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

PMom, every time I think I get some sort of read on you, you do something that throws me for a loop. Am I destined to be suspicious of you forever?

##unvote

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

So only about 10 minutes left. Is no lynching a bad idea in this type of game?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Well then since I have no clue what's going on. I will vote for the person that confuses me most in an already confusing game.

##vote PMom

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Also, I want to say that it's kind of weird that Taste hasn't been around today.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Wow, I come home after spending the last 3 hours of the day in traffic*, make myself some dinner and sit down to see the thread has opened a bit earlier than I expected and there are 20 some odd new posts. I start reading and see that the spotlight is squarely on me.

So let me definitively state: I am not the cult leader or the SK.

The lie detector can check that claim and it will come back as true. Does that statement satisfy you JJ? I'm not sure why my posting is weird to you, maybe it's just because I'm new and don't really have a clue what I'm doing. I know that some of my posts from my last game also came off as weird because of my newbie status and I think Taste will confirm that since he was in that game.

* - technically, I spend most of my day in traffic since I'm a messenger, but the last 3 hours today were particularly brutal today.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

imgay posted:

Taste is truly a gift to the world

He's bigger than just the forums.

jon joe posted:

Somber thinks the mostly likely cult leader is Mozz. imgay, Taste, Mozz, what do you think?

TMM, your opinion as well?

I would agree that it's most likely to be one of those four. Although I'm not sure I would agree that it's Mozz. It feels too easy and I wouldn't think the cult leader wants to be the biggest lurker.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

TMMadman posted:

I would agree that it's most likely to be one of those four. Although I'm not sure I would agree that it's Mozz. It feels too easy and I wouldn't think the cult leader wants to be the biggest lurker.

Mafia edit - I read the JJ post wrong. I thought he was asking if the leader was one of Somber, TT, imgay or Mozz.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

jon joe posted:

So the only question I have now is, if TMM was the recruiter, would he have recruited Ixt?

We could debate that all day long, but I don't really think so. I'm happy enough to assume that the cult recruiter is not TMM.

By the way, who did you visit last night, Ixt?

I forgot to address this in my last post since I wrote it while waiting to pick up a package, I thought I'd come back to this for a minute. For the record, if I was the recruiter then I would have picked Taste first because I have played with him before and while I don't mind his posting style, I know that it can be abrasive and distracting to other people and I would have wanted to use that to my advantage.

Anyway, what I really wanted to post when I got home was a quick personal run down of the four people who weren't soft cleared by JJs play.

First up: Taste - I did a quick read through and nothing really jumps out at me as being outright scummy. I was a little weirded out the other day because he wasn't posting a lot and just based on the one game I've played that seems a bit strange, but I could easily put it down to just an active day in real life. He has been more active today and while he certainly does have plenty of non-content posts, he does appear to be looking for the recruiter.

Second: Somberbrero - He is the one who is giving off the most scummy vibes for me personally. He had that weird leader gag during joke phase that I've covered already. Then there was that weird jump off PMom shortly before the day ended which almost feels like he knew PMom would flip town and wanted to wash his hands of the whole deal. Plus, I'm not sure I like agreeing with imgay but the turnip avatar is disturbing although that certainly isn't a reason to vote for him.

Third: imgay - Honestly, I don't know how to read imgay because it always seems like he has a more non-content posts than content posts. However, since Ixt watched him last night it seems like he is probably town. Does the watcher see if person moves? Or does he just see who visits that person?

Finally: Mozz - There isn't much to read there because he only has like a half a dozen posts. I guess I could see him being the recruiter, but it seems like lurking that hard in a small game would cause more eyes to turn your way.

So I'm pretty much up in the air right now. I think it's likely that the recruiter is one of those four people, but I don't know if I could pick one of them as better than the others. I think if I was going take a shot in the dark, I'd probably go after Somber or Mozz, but I want to hear back from jj and see what kleedrac has to say.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Phone posting from a stoplight to say I skimmed the stuff from today and I should be at home well before the deadline.

I'm pretty open to the idea of it being either Somber or Mozz.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

jon joe posted:

Anyway please lynch somber and win the game, thanks.

I will take your advice.

##vote Somberbrero

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Sorry I've been quiet over the weekend. I've been concentrating on a setup I'm building.

It would be nice if Kleedrac, Taste and Mazz checked in.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

##vote imgay

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

:hammer:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

drat it, didn't remember the hammer smilie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

Bat 'em up!

Nice game Ghastly Gangsta!

I kind of short circuited it by getting the log lady first so I could lie when JJ called me out immediately.

• Locked thread