Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

:siren: NEXT CARD DISCUSSION STARTS HERE :siren:
The brochure said there'd only be a FEW cards! This has been a terrible UFC Fight Week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr8r09c8ogg

that shaky recording of someone's screen playing the classic Don Knotts Family Guy skit can only mean one thing: it's UFC Fight Week and there are a busy month's worth of cards crammed into the next seven days. Holy moly!

Since I won't have the time or energy needed to do three effortposts in a week for cards that are middling at best only to have each OP reach maybe 12 pages, you're getting this :effort: GDT "mega"thread that will cover:

The Ultimate Fighter Finale, July 12

UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee, July 15 (this is the best one)

UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Leites, July 18

I'll update the first post with a link to where we start talking about the next card.

So we'll start this off with The Ultimate Fighter: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians Finale, happening TONIGHT!

Welterweight
Jake Ellenberger vs. Stephen Thompson

Ellenberger tries. When he wins, he looks pretty good. He's had a really rough run lately, but it's been due to getting matched up with much better fighters in Lawler, MacDonald and Kelvin Gastellum. He was getting wrestlefucked by Koscheck until he turned him into the Crimson King album art.

Stephen Thompson wants a good fight with the perennial gatekeeper to finally break through into the cutthroat welterweight division. Despite being called "Wonderboy," he is 32. He is a karate fighter who had a super awesome question-mark kick KO in his UFC debut that got everyone super hyped, then he got wrestlefucked by noted wrestling expert Matt Brown. That's his only loss though, and most of his fights since then have been reasonably fun. He was a champion in Chuck Norris' pajama-pants trampoline fight league. Hooray!

Welterweight
Kamaru Usman vs. Hayder Hassan

I did not watch this season and can tell you nothing about either fighter. Perhaps fatherdog or someone else can provide insight.

Welterweight[/b[
Michael Graves vs. Vicente Luque
Ditto.

Welterweight
Jorge Masvidal vs. Cezar Ferreira

Masvidal missed weight on his first attempt despite moving up from lightweight. A split decision loss most notable for making Ragin' Al Iaquinta live up to his nickname after the fact has forced him up, but really the only noteworthy thing about his UFC career has been making Michael Chiesa throw a temper tantrum.

Cezar Ferreira made weight despite moving down from middleweight. He is a Vitor Belfort protege so you should root for him to be embarrassed as that is good and just. Recent notable performances include getting kocked the gently caress out by Smile'n Sam and Launchpad McQuack.

Strawweight
Angela Magana vs. Michelle Waterson

Don't root for Angela Magana.

Michelle Waterson was the atomweight champion in Invicta (that's 105 pounds!!!!) until she was submitted by a Brazilian in a half-tee making her atomweight debut after a pretty successful run at strawweight, because Julie Kedzie is so awful at her job she was accidentally good this time. Despite being tiny even for 115 pounds, Waterson should win here, but I think every drat time I make a definitive statement in the OP it proves wrong so bet against me!

Catchweight (148.5 lbs)
Maximo Blanco vs. Mike De La Torre

A lot of you weirdos like Maximo Blanco and I do not know why. His fights aren't that fun and he missed weight in that fight. But if that will fool you into being that much more invested in this mediocre card, who am I to hold you back from achieving nirvana?

Mike De La Torre is not the best person using "El Cucuy" as his nickname. He lost to Mark Bocek, which isn't the worst. He was then submitted by Brian Ortega, but it didn't count because drugs. He then beat a tractor. Now he's fighting Maxi in what looks like a reasonably even fight based on the UFC's rather meaningless listed statistics.

The weighins already happened. Relive the glory here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVY6gNzkDqo

OFFICIAL MMA SNACK RATING: Taking last night's phenomenal filet mignon and lobster tail leftovers and microwaving them a little too long so they're gummy and dry.

DISCUSS.

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Leites, July 18

:laugh:

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
this card sucks

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bluedeanie posted:

He was getting wrestlefucked by Koscheck until he turned him into the Crimson King album art.

lol good call

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

Welterweight
Kamaru Usman vs. Hayder Hassan

I did not watch this season and can tell you nothing about either fighter. Perhaps fatherdog or someone else can provide insight.

Because of the points system for this season, ATT won the season despite winning five fights and losing seven. Of those five fights, Hayder Hassan was responsible for three of them. He's a short, gassy guy who wings bombs but is pretty competent all round at grappling, has fair defense on the feet, and is capable of continuing to try to win while very clearly at .75Coleman worth of gas-out. Mostly he's insanely durable, which is why ATT was able to have him fight once every four fights over the course of the show.

Kamaru is a Nigerian dude who emigrated to the US and because a D2 All American wrestler at the University of Nebraska. I think he was like an alternate trainee on the US Olympic squad or something for a while, then went into fighting because trying to be an Olympic athlete in this country is insanely expensive. He looked good on the show, and after he beat up Michael Graves in his first fight Hayder called him out. They never fought on the show so I guess this is kind of a grudge match? The other guy he beat up on the show was noted Bellator and WSoF veteran Steve "Dave" Carl.

Also worth noting, although ATT won $100,000 by "winning" the show (which, to their credit, they donated to Wounded Warriors) whichever gym wins this fight wins $300,000, so this is kind of the Blackzilians' chance to get their own back.

quote:

Welterweight
Michael Graves vs. Vicente Luque

Ditto.

Michael Graves was responsible for one of the two ATT victories that weren't Hayder Hassan. He lost his first fight and proceeded to drink himself stupid for half the show, then after sobering up he got chosen to fight again and almost missed weight. Then he got the living poo poo beat out of him by his opponent (including a quick shin to the balls) for about two and a half minutes before reversing into an RNC victory.

Vincente Luque was the last guy Hayder fought and honestly should have won the (split) decision in their match, but after beating the poo poo out of Hayder in the first he gassed enough to let Hayder back into the fight. He's got pretty nice standup technique and is a really big welterweight. He seems to have good takedown defense and grappling; his fight on the show that wasn't Hayder was anaconda-ing Nathan Coy, who was an All-American wrestler for Oregon.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Darrel Montague, who I mostly remember for ruining Ulysses Gomez in Tachi Palace fights, is walking out to fight Bill Gates on the Fight Pass prelims right now.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Willie "Capulet" Gates just ruined a Montague

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Willie "Capulet" Gates just ruined a Montague

I didn't watch the fight because I forgot it was on but this makes me happy because WIllie Gates looked really good against John Moraga a few months ago. Flyweight is getting a decent crop of guys.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Who is going to the San Diego card? Let's get hosed up in Hillcrest and then go to Blacks Beach

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Rewound to the fight and that was pretty cool. I remember liking Willie Gates from a previous fight but can't remember it.

e: oh yeah the Moraga fight lol

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

-Atom- posted:

Who is going to the San Diego card? Let's get hosed up in Hillcrest and then go to Blacks Beach

The time UFC comes to San Diego, and I'm in goddamn Maryland.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Whose this squirrely faced girl doing these bad interview/skit things inbetween FS1?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Dom Waters is all dried up

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I cannot wait until I can root against Magana. What a horrible person.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
George Sullivan sucks because he couldn't finish that keylock - 1st Ad, probably

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

:siren:POTENTIAL NECK DESTRUCTION ALERT:siren:

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Gmn3YDxJo

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I hope FS1 stops using their poo poo presentation design some time soon.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
gently caress man these guys just throwing bombs from the get go.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

"You gonna kiss him??" Cool crowd man.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

You get a 10-8 round!

And you get a 10-8 round!

EVERYONE GETS A 10-8 ROUND!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
what have i missed, just sat down at work to get in on this

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Where's that goon who asked if every UFC card is as good as last nights PPV? Let them bask in this card.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

SquirrelGrip posted:

what have i missed, just sat down at work to get in on this

Other than Willie WHOOP rear end Gates whooping some rear end, the other fights have been garbage

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When did Samman start looking wall-eyed

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

When did Samman start looking wall-eyed

I don't know, but he's still a tough guy to come down the pike

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Spitting blood. Only Robbie does it right. :colbert:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'd award Magalhaes the Sore Loser of the Weekend prize but I think that's probably taken by Rory's face

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Lol post fight maksies upsies.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Samman beat the gently caress out of him.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
I hated Bukkake Josh Samman on TUF, but he's growing on me now, I gotta admit.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Getting yelled at by Big John for unsportsmanlike conduct on the prelims of an Ultimate Fighter finale has got to be the low point of anyone's career.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still don't know that I can cheer for him ever because he threatened me via Facebook and he has cornrows in while fighting.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

I still don't know that I can cheer for him ever because he threatened me via Facebook and he has cornrows in while fighting.

gently caress that dude and his cornrows

please tell me why he threatened you

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Mr. Nice! posted:

Counterpoint: Urijah Faber

Not everyone is smooth enough to be a long hair don't care in the cage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've always hated his cornrows, too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Maximo Peso up

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Maximo brings the weirdness

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
missed that fight - looked like an early stop though?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Maximo cannot have a normal fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Thank god Yves didn't ref the welterweight title fight last night

• Locked thread