Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Madkal posted:

This thread seems pretty dead but I thought I would let everyone know that South Africa is currently having an election right now and at the moment it looks like the ANC is going to get less than 60% of the votes which is kind of unheard of. EFF is underperforming/performing just right depending who you ask, and the DA is currently coming in second place and have got a lock on the Cape.

https://www.africanews.com/2019/05/09/live-south-africa-may-8-general-elections-web-coverage//

On the one hand the ANC getting back in is horrible, after all the years of corruption. But on the other them getting 45%, and going into a coalition with the EFF, would have been even more horrifying. So its...not the worst possible result I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
French special forces freed four hostages in northern Burkina Faso. Two were French tourists kidnapped recently in Benin, the two others were south South Korea and the USA, and the special forces did not even know they were there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blut posted:

On the one hand the ANC getting back in is horrible, after all the years of corruption. But on the other them getting 45%, and going into a coalition with the EFF, would have been even more horrifying. So its...not the worst possible result I guess?

this is literally the opposite of what i came here to post

the vote totals didn't shift nearly as much as i had expected. i guess voters gave ramaphosa the benefit of the doubt; i bet EFF would have done a lot better if zuma were still leading the ANC

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Toplowtech posted:

The dead count is getting around 800 but "everything is fine!". :smithicide:
For reference the West African outbreak killed around 1200+ people in Guinea alone and around 4000+ people total if you add Liberia. Someone must be really (over)confident in its ability to prevent the spread of the disease.

One of the arbitrary differences between an international health emergency and a local outbreak/emergency is the fact that it still has not crossed a border. Also, keep in mind that just because it wasn't declared an emergency doesn't mean that international health organizations are not responding and money and aid is certainly flowing into the area. A position I am applying for said that my role might get expanded in DRC, should I get the job, to participate in the Ebola response.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTFD8NsUnl4

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Cat Mattress posted:

French special forces freed four hostages in northern Burkina Faso. Two were French tourists kidnapped recently in Benin, the two others were south South Korea and the USA, and the special forces did not even know they were there.

Is there any claim or confirmation of which group took the hostages?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mauser posted:

One of the arbitrary differences between an international health emergency and a local outbreak/emergency is the fact that it still has not crossed a border. Also, keep in mind that just because it wasn't declared an emergency doesn't mean that international health organizations are not responding and money and aid is certainly flowing into the area. A position I am applying for said that my role might get expanded in DRC, should I get the job, to participate in the Ebola response.

MSF is there actively. One of my wife's friends is in North Kivu now. It's probably not in the news as much since it's been going on so long, and also it's a lot less scary for health workers (and probably, by extension, the media circus) since there's now a vaccine that seems to work pretty well.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mauser posted:

Is there any claim or confirmation of which group took the hostages?

Apparently it was some criminal, rather than terrorist, gang. They were trying to accumulate a number of hostages to sell them to terrorist groups and were intercepted before they could do the transfer.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XzVwRaphyQ

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 16, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lmao that escalated quickly

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

all i remember was that MTN was bullshit on speed and prices and was easily the third-best service in the 3g usb dongle era

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I remember MTN being accused of bribery to win a mobile licence in Iran. So yeah, hardly a surprise.
edit: also isn't Nigeria like one third of their revenue or something like that?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

I remember MTN being accused of bribery to win a mobile licence in Iran. So yeah, hardly a surprise.
edit: also isn't Nigeria like one third of their revenue or something like that?

it's gotta be. it was the biggest provider when i was there because of more rural penetration and nigeria is just an enormous market for phone data. i used etisalat because it sounded like an anagram for satellite but someone hosed it up, also the usb stick was cooler looking

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Two cases in Uganda, more attacks on treatment providers and spiraling conspiracy theories.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2019/jun/25/most-complex-health-crisis-congo-struggles-ebola-drc

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ebola Update: first case in Goma(DR Congo), a city of 1 million.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The WHO declare an international health emergency, say they won't get fooled again

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49025298

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.cfr.org/article/democratic-candidates-africas-growing-population

:shepface:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So I'm curious, why the widespread outright distrust of medical people? To outright attack and kill makes me think there has to have surely been some past issues to spur on this much distrust right?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ChaseSP posted:

So I'm curious, why the widespread outright distrust of medical people? To outright attack and kill makes me think there has to have surely been some past issues to spur on this much distrust right?

Is this a serious post.

Edit so this post is informative: The root cause is that white people and European countries and organizations have for good reason lost basically all credibility when they show up and go "Hi we are here to help". Its literally the same reasons why generally African Americans do not like doctors in the states.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 31, 2019

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Combine that with wearing those full-body protective Ebola suits and taking away people's dead relatives so they can't be buried in the traditional manner. And rebel groups which would make it difficult to travel and work in some places in any case.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Also generally speaking doctors all have horrrrible bedside manners and cultural competencey, so you can bet that they aren't explaining poo poo. This is a huge problem in the US and the few papers I read on the ebola stuff basically said they saw improvments when they actually went around and talked to people like humans and informed them about poo poo which leads me to believe its a thing there too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's also been pretty good research (which I can't link atm, sorry) on some of the rumor and conspiracy information systems in countries affected by ebola. It's a model very similar to a slow burn, lower-information version of what happens in public information and social media systems around, say, a mass shooting or disaster event in the US. The circumstances are such that false information that appeals to people's underlying social or personal psychological needs gets shared far, hard, fast.

note: twitter is a huge medium of spread for this stuff; there's a bunch of googleable research of highly variable quality on it as a contributor to conspiracies and misinformation around ebola outbreaks in Africa. I unfortunately can't recall which articles I'd been reading/watching presentations from on this, but the best research on the subject is hamstrung by twitter giving exclusive full access to their systems to a limited subset of researchers, under murky circumstances.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 3, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ChaseSP posted:

Bunch of foreigners in space suits show up and quarantine everyone, then tons of people die

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Telsa Cola posted:

Also generally speaking doctors all have horrrrible bedside manners and cultural competencey, so you can bet that they aren't explaining poo poo. This is a huge problem in the US and the few papers I read on the ebola stuff basically said they saw improvments when they actually went around and talked to people like humans and informed them about poo poo which leads me to believe its a thing there too.

A friend of mine did CDC compliance stuff and one of her big recommendations on South Texas tuberculosis stuff was basically this :toot:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

A friend of mine did CDC compliance stuff and one of her big recommendations on South Texas tuberculosis stuff was basically this :toot:

Its basically been the recommendation for every organization, doctor, or study for like the past decade but basically no one really listens because doctors know best and science must always come first!

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Telsa Cola posted:

Is this a serious post.

Edit so this post is informative: The root cause is that white people and European countries and organizations have for good reason lost basically all credibility when they show up and go "Hi we are here to help". Its literally the same reasons why generally African Americans do not like doctors in the states.

Indeed, maybe there's a reason for them to distrust the doctors treating them, as this post would imply.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Original_Z posted:

Indeed, maybe there's a reason for them to distrust the doctors treating them, as this post would imply.

:drat: that's an impressive level of failure yet also completely unsurprising given how lovely management is everywhere

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I have people telling me that the reason why apartheid South Africa yielded the power to the black majority was due to the US sanctions. That the US sanctions was the straw that broke the camel's back and without it, it's likely that the apartheid would have remained for far far longer, if not until this day.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I have people telling me that the reason why apartheid South Africa yielded the power to the black majority was due to the US sanctions. That the US sanctions was the straw that broke the camel's back and without it, it's likely that the apartheid would have remained for far far longer, if not until this day.

Eh a bit of an exaggeration - Sanctions certainly helped crumple the Apartheid regime but the writing was arguably on the wall before they where passed in 86; the dawn of the age of mass organised stay-at-home campaigns, rent boycotts and mass movement protest organised by the UDF starting in late 84 and escalating rapidly in 85 had begun to unpick Apartheid and the foreign capital was increasingly aware that the regime was a dead man walking.

The Rand reached its lowest point in mid 85 in reaction to the imposition of the temporary emergency and Botha's Rubicon speech doubling down on Apartheid - many international observers had expected a commitment to release Mandela and reforms to pull back the widespread violence and the recommitment to crushing popular protest prompted financial support to up sticks and leave (and also forced the government to temporarily close the stock market and all foreign currency trading). How much of that was succesful political pressure and Apartheid simply becoming too expensive for people looking to make a buck can be hard to untangle.

Even before the US passed their sanctions the chariman of Anglo-American, the domestic super conglomerate, was already holding private meetings with the ANC.

Of course none of that acknowledges that the idea of retreating to a more manageable Apartheid state by simply abandoning territories to the homelands and forging non-agression treaties with neighbouring states wasn't exactly off the board for a long time and remained a viable political program into the early 90s when it was championed by Constand Viljoen until he turned his movement to support for non-racial democracy. Viljoen commanded significant support within the armed forces and was always seen as "most likely to lead a coup government" if the armed forces decided the whole new South Africa was not what they wanted - which was a real and very significant concern in the early 90s.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I see. Thank for answering my question. For reference the conversation was about Israel and Palestine, and how Palestine can't get a foothold die to the IS not implementing sanctions.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

kustomkarkommando posted:

Eh a bit of an exaggeration - Sanctions certainly helped crumple the Apartheid regime but the writing was arguably on the wall before they where passed in 86; the dawn of the age of mass organised stay-at-home campaigns, rent boycotts and mass movement protest organised by the UDF starting in late 84 and escalating rapidly in 85 had begun to unpick Apartheid and the foreign capital was increasingly aware that the regime was a dead man walking.

The Rand reached its lowest point in mid 85 in reaction to the imposition of the temporary emergency and Botha's Rubicon speech doubling down on Apartheid - many international observers had expected a commitment to release Mandela and reforms to pull back the widespread violence and the recommitment to crushing popular protest prompted financial support to up sticks and leave (and also forced the government to temporarily close the stock market and all foreign currency trading). How much of that was succesful political pressure and Apartheid simply becoming too expensive for people looking to make a buck can be hard to untangle.

Even before the US passed their sanctions the chariman of Anglo-American, the domestic super conglomerate, was already holding private meetings with the ANC.

I've read somewhere that one of De Klerk's advisers basically told him that with the ANC and its allies able to put a million people onto the streets in a single protest, and more in general strikes, he either had to start massacring people and deal with the economic/political consequences of that, or capitulate.

quote:

Of course none of that acknowledges that the idea of retreating to a more manageable Apartheid state by simply abandoning territories to the homelands and forging non-agression treaties with neighbouring states wasn't exactly off the board for a long time and remained a viable political program into the early 90s when it was championed by Constand Viljoen until he turned his movement to support for non-racial democracy. Viljoen commanded significant support within the armed forces and was always seen as "most likely to lead a coup government" if the armed forces decided the whole new South Africa was not what they wanted - which was a real and very significant concern in the early 90s.

This, absolutely. Also Buthelezi and the IFP were champing at the bit to secede and form a Zulu nationalist state. Holding the country together by bringing both Buthelezi and Viljoen to the negotiating table was one of Mandela's more superhuman feats.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rip mugabe

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I've read somewhere that one of De Klerk's advisers basically told him that with the ANC and its allies able to put a million people onto the streets in a single protest, and more in general strikes, he either had to start massacring people and deal with the economic/political consequences of that, or capitulate.

How exactly did the government/Botha and De Klerk react internally to the cases during the end of apartheid where the police DID straight up massacre people in the streets like in Langa and Bisho? They don't exactly strike me as people that cared deeply about the plight of the masses, but I can't imagine that they were too happy about the attention that the SADF firing into crowds was bringing them.

RIP to a real one

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Malleum posted:

How exactly did the government/Botha and De Klerk react internally to the cases during the end of apartheid where the police DID straight up massacre people in the streets like in Langa and Bisho? They don't exactly strike me as people that cared deeply about the plight of the masses, but I can't imagine that they were too happy about the attention that the SADF firing into crowds was bringing them.

RIP to a real one

Yeah my understanding was that he was told they'd have to double down on that and ramp up the massacres to thousands of people.

I'm sure he gave no fucks though. For ask his and PW's denial, there's no way they didn't know about and condone the death squads either (Vlakplaas, etc).

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1VV2QH

This is a yuge deal. But idk what the potential outcome is other than failure? The "Ambazonians" aren't going to just give up their ideal of separation, even if Biya offers them some actual degree of autonomy while still remaining within Cameroon. Is Biya just trying to make them look unreasonable so he can justify the crackdown?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Yikes

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1178621178002497537

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Wow, that is dark. Lots of frightening stories coming out of Nigeria at the moment.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This is literally something you'd read from an edgy comic book.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's up with Nigeria trying to fine literally everyone? $5bn for MTN, $1.4bn credit penalty for lenders, now a $62bn claim against oil majors which everyone knows has zero chance of success. Not that I have a problem with fining big banks or oil companies out of existence, but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What's up with Nigeria trying to fine literally everyone? $5bn for MTN, $1.4bn credit penalty for lenders, now a $62bn claim against oil majors which everyone knows has zero chance of success. Not that I have a problem with fining big banks or oil companies out of existence, but

the "center-left" is in power at the moment but really the two big parties are regionally and ethnically based; the APC wants revenues to be spread from the south-south (biafra) to the rest of the country and the igbo ethnic group is again up in arms over it, as well as northern (muslim) herders encroaching upon southern (christian) farmland