Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I believe in dacidbro and the competitive Catherine resurgence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Y'know, I think I WILL donate to the UltraChen patreon. I don't know what the rest of you think about them, but UltraDavid and James Chen are alright in my book.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ATTN GOONS I'll be going with a buddy who's in love with Yatagarasu and KOF and is looking for anyone he can to play with so if you wanna set that up let me know (he's bringing both of them and a setup). He's a cool dude, not smelly etc.

Also I'll be bringing rocket league so if you see the setup in the LAN feel free to say hi and play!!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Saoshyant posted:

Yay, KOF, VampSavior, Skullgirls, and even CVS2.

What's this Catherine thing? That Qix-clone with the disturbing story about some dude's sexual life? How would a tournament based on that work?

Like none of the Skullgirls community is showing up to Evo. Everybody was focused on Combo Breaker since Hadou was respectful and awesome and Wizard has been a shithead. Preregistration numbers have it as looking like a typical West Coast major* for the game (like a third of CB's signups).

Also, SG2E's on the Madcatz stage again with Markman issuing an apology for last year's debacle with the Tekken delays... by putting it after the 7 exhibition. So much for punctuality.

*plus Sage and Sonicfox lol, at least we know what Grand Finals are gonna be!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I haven't really followed the fighting game scene for a year or so, is this there any fun 2015 drama I should know about going into this one??

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Justin Wong became a top MKX streamer causing Perfect Legend to become incredibly salty in an email PL sent to his subscribers...which includes Justin Wong

Sonicfox is an unapologetic furry who is also really good. Several people in animal costumes have shown up to tournaments as a result.

Yipes continues to own.

Yung Art is still desperately trying to kill esports. Will he succeed?!

Bananaken might be the first goon Evo champion besides Infiltration and Daigo.

That's it that I can recall

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Cat Machine posted:

I haven't really followed the fighting game scene for a year or so, is this there any fun 2015 drama I should know about going into this one??

The MKX patch schedule is more hilarious than we imagined it could be, what with Boon putting out patches mere days before majors so often that it looks intentionally spiteful.

Anime is ruled by goons. Yohosie got really far in Blazblue during CEO, and of course BananaKen/apple is literally the best in the world at Persona.

The entire MKX community hates Sonicfox for constantly beating the poo poo out of them over the last 3 years. Expect him to win and then expect them to bitch endlessly about his lack of fundamentals/abusing mixups/abusing zoning/abusing high tiers.

Tekken 7 is going to be a clusterfuck. The game is only out in arcades in 2 countries, but it still was announced to get main stage billing. Additionally, they announced a gigantic pot bonus the day AFTER signups closed.

Marvel is actually dead for real; it's been declining in entrants steadily and other games are rising in popularity. It's not KI3 dead, though.

This will be the debut major for Skullgirls 2nd Encore, so all the people who said they weren't going to pick up the game until the patches were over/cast was larger/has male characters are gonna switch excuses for why the finished game doesn't meet their expectations.

Street Fighter 5 looks better and better as it goes on, thanks to player input actually mattering. Who knows? Maybe they'll increase the walk speed at some point! There's supposed to be a big announcement for SF5 at Evo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I went digging for drama and found a really interesting Reddit (I know, I know) post about Evo history http://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/3brz9n/did_you_know_evo_championship_series_edition/

Broken Loose posted:

Street Fighter 5 looks better and better as it goes on, thanks to player input actually mattering. Who knows? Maybe they'll increase the walk speed at some point! There's supposed to be a big announcement for SF5 at Evo.
I played SF5 last week and didn't like it that much, but cool anyways

Broken Loose posted:

Marvel is actually dead for real;
nice

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 15, 2015

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Rumors are saying that SFV will come out first or second quarter next year. It will probably be the main event, but SFIV will still have a big showing.

Also can we get a rule against arguing whether or not Smash is a fighting game? The only thing more boring to me than watching smash is reading that argument.

Edit: Also, I don't care who wins MvC3 as long as it isn't FChamp.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I would rather they drop Melee and keep Smash for Wii U.

Watching Melee get major support at big tournaments at this point is like if the Street Fighter community complained endlessly about SFIV being supported when Third Strike was so much better. The entire Smash community's collective bitching about One True Video Game Melee and their complete disregard of any other Smash game makes it really hard for me to even give a poo poo about Melee or supporting a community that prefers being stuck in the past instead of exploring new ventures.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Why is Predator banned from MKX? Is he that good?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Watching Melee get major support at big tournaments at this point is like if the Street Fighter community complained endlessly about SFIV being supported when Third Strike was so much better. The entire Smash community's collective bitching about One True Video Game Melee and their complete disregard of any other Smash game makes it really hard for me to even give a poo poo about Melee or supporting a community that prefers being stuck in the past instead of exploring new ventures.
Don't wanna mire the thread in Smash Chat but Melee is different from the other Smash games on a fundamental level, they just happen to share the same brand. It's honestly a much deeper gulf than any two games from the Street Fighter series.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Cat Machine posted:

Don't wanna mire the thread in Smash Chat but Melee is different from the other Smash games on a fundamental level, they just happen to share the same brand. It's honestly a much deeper gulf than any two games from the Street Fighter series.

:munch: here we go

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Harlock posted:

Too new.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Harlock posted:

He's banned because he was released after EVOs mandated cutoff date.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Cat Machine posted:

This is gonna be good.

I'll unfortunately be working for most of EVO, but if I get the time to make any avatars I will.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

This will be the debut major for Skullgirls 2nd Encore, so all the people who said they weren't going to pick up the game until the patches were over/cast was larger/has male characters are gonna switch excuses for why the finished game doesn't meet their expectations.
: it's bad

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Harlock posted:

He was released last week I think? It's pretty common for stuff released that close to Evo to be banned.

RE: Melee vs Other Smash games, people still play the older SF games ST for instance has two side tournaments this year and there are likely people travelling from out of the country to compete in just those games.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gibbo posted:

:munch: here we go

I mean I'm not a big smash guy but they're really different. Especially at the high competitive level.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Why isn't ST at least got a little bit on the main screen?

Also inb4 ChrisG takes Mahvel

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Marvel is actually dead for real; it's been declining in entrants steadily and other games are rising in popularity. It's not KI3 dead, though.

Also as Marvel is the only featured game without a sponsored pot bonus at Evo, Justin ran a gofundme campaign trying to raise $10k for the top16. It was closed at $1785. Game is dead.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah I get that much, it's just frustrating to see large swaths of the community ignoring a shiny, brand new entry in the series (one that actually functions better than Brawl did, as much as I adore Brawl) because "it's not as good as Melee." It's that kind of attitude that turns me off from a huge chunk of the Smash community as a whole.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Why should people abandon a better game just because there's a newer one

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Double Bill posted:

Also as Marvel is the only featured game without a sponsored pot bonus at Evo, Justin ran a gofundme campaign trying to raise $10k for the top16. It was closed at $1785. Game is dead.

Everybody saw it for what it was: a fundraiser to give jwong/fchamp/etc free money.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Yeah I get that much, it's just frustrating to see large swaths of the community ignoring a shiny, brand new entry in the series (one that actually functions better than Brawl did, as much as I adore Brawl) because "it's not as good as Melee." It's that kind of attitude that turns me off from a huge chunk of the Smash community as a whole.

how could you possibly adore brawl in the context of a competitive fg/versus platformer/whatever you want to call smash games

you know people aren't ignoring smash 4 either, there's a huge number of entrants for both games with very little overlap

it's just different strokes for different folks

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

dragon enthusiast posted:

Everybody saw it for what it was: a fundraiser to give jwong/fchamp/etc free money.

Man, someone should link that video where JWong and ChrisG just decide to split up the winner's prize and UltraDavid is livid. Never trust JWong with your money.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I imagine the lack of pot bonus also has to do with the lack of support from Capcom. They can't distribute the game since they lost the Marvel license so they aren't going to be putting any money into it. Even MS is willing to put money into KI because they can still sell copies of it.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Man, someone should link that video where JWong and ChrisG just decide to split up the winner's prize and UltraDavid is livid. Never trust JWong with your money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl6VJYTtRxk

Edit: I didn't watch this live, but iirc, the tournament ran super late so this was happening at midnight or some poo poo.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 15, 2015

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's missing the start, where the two chat for nearly a minute and David is completely livid when he realizes what they are doing, but yeah.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I mean I'm not a big smash guy but they're really different. Especially at the high competitive level.

I fully agree with you. Others not so much. This argument was just had in the other thread a fee days ago is all I was getting at.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey, here's a simple thing you are not considering because you are being superficial: Melee has over a thousand entrants with very low crossover population with the Smash4 entrants. If Third Strike wanted to stay relevant, maybe actually show up in numbers. It's that simple.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I like James Chen pretending like the match isn't total bullshit. Maybe we'll get the dream team of him and Skisonic this weekend, that'd be great.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
That would kill Marvel for sure

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
James Chen deserves more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9p1lKqT3mg

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Watching Melee get major support at big tournaments at this point is like if the Street Fighter community complained endlessly about SFIV being supported when Third Strike was so much better.

Replace Third Strike with ST and this does exist to some extent. At least for posters like Zand. SF4 gets a lot of hate for how popular it is.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Trollhawke posted:

Why isn't ST at least got a little bit on the main screen?

Also inb4 ChrisG takes Mahvel

Sorta rooting for ChrisG tbh. Evo's the only tournament he hasn't been able to win yet. Also he plays the fireball character so I'm already inclined to cheer for him.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Remember how SFXT was supposed to replace SFIV

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why should people play a game they don't want to just because it's new. the two games play very differently

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I do like watching super turbo a lot more than sf4 or 3s and I barely play any of those games :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Good news! You can watch all ST you want this Evo thanks to its two side tournaments.

Marvel? Hope FullSchedule wins it with Haggar's pipe and million buttons stick.

• Locked thread