Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Eddie Bravo (not his real name) is an American BJJ legend who holds a black belt under cool fingerless person, Jean-Jaques Machado. He is most famous for losing the 2003 Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling champsionships as a brown belt.

Bravo has also created his own style of BJJ, called 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, a reference the dark planet Nibiru that definitely exists. It is due to enter our solar system in the year 2012, which will slightly offsetting the orbital axes of other planets and cause a variety of bad things. Notable students of his competition-proven system include professional grapplers Chuck Liddell, Joe Rogan, and Matt Mitrione. This system of jiu-jitsu revolves around several moves that Bravo invented, such as the rubber guard, which was invented by Nino Schembri, and the twister, which is a move from highschool wrestling.

Pictured here: A gathering of 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu athletes

Eddie Bravo advocates getting super baked before you roll, because weed is known to help with cardio, and you can watch him getting baked and partying in his Mastering The Twister DVD, available for $99.99. Allegedly, he also teaches the twister in this DVD. Without weed, and weird natural flexibility that you probably don’t have and never will achieve, he could have never invented the rubber guard.

Eddie Bravo posted:

I did smoke DMT, it's what is in the Ayahuasca brew that takes you to the spirit world. I wrote about this life changing psychedelic experience in the book "Mastering The Twister"

Pictured here: A 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu athlete prepares for competition

The rubber guard, specifically, was developed for MMA use, and you know this because there are 6 videos of people using it in MMA fights available on youtube right now. From closed guard, you lift your leg up so your ankle presses down against the back of your opponent’s head and hold it in place with your hand. There are a variety of positions and standardized movements that you can get to from rubber guard, like special ed control, the jiu claw, and New York, all of which were named something less acceptable at one time.

Eddie Bravo is not just a martial artist, he is also a musical artist, who played in unsuccessful punk/hardcore bands in the late 80s, unsuccessful rap-metal bands in the 90s, and now he can be heard kind of playing guitar while people rap about grappling, which is slightly less embarrassing than listening to “G in a Gi” by Ralek Gracie. His current music project is called Smoke Serpent, which is an unsuccessful rap-metal band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Y_m0wZxsw

Beyond his numerous accomplishments in BJJ competition and notable music career, Eddie Bravo also believes whole heartedly in many conspiracy theories. His youtube channel has an entire playlist devoted to Tower 7, he has attributed the start of World War 2 to Jewish bankers and the New World Order, and he is an expert when it comes to clouds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNsM6Jfg0dE

While this may lead you to believe he’s crazy, please consider that he may be intentionally spreading disinformation and that his inhuman flexibility is evidence that he is a lizard person.

At Metamoris 3, Eddie Bravo competed for the first time in 420 years against Royler Gracie, who he defeated unexpectedly on his way to losing the 2003 Abu Dhabi. Royler displayed considerable skill in not knowing a thing about Eddie Bravo's very well publicized system, spending most of the 20 minute match in "lockdown" half guard, not knowing the tightly held secret that standing up while in the lockdown is very painful for the person who has put you in lockdown, before getting swept multiple times. The match ended in a draw before Rener Gracie declared it a victory for Gracie Jiu Jitsu on youtube, making it official.

Pictured here: Eddie Bravo did this like 3 times in a row

After the match, there was an altercation between Royce Gracie and Eddie Bravo when Royce interrupted Eddie while Eddie was vomiting from exhaustion. While at first the reason for the altercation was unknown, Royce later embarrassed himselfclarified in an interview:

Royce Gracie, notable steroid user posted:

I can never send my kid to someone that praises alcohol and drugs. Is that what you want your kids to learn? It’s okay to smoke pot? ‘Oh, pot is not a drug.’ So walk into a police station with a pound of pot and tell the cops it’s not a drug. Come on.

Since that time, Eddie Bravo has returned to teaching at his academy in Los Angeles and recording music nobody will listen to, and Royce Gracie has returned to giving out free blue belts to anybody who attends his seminars. Eddie Bravo is not expected to compete again. You can follow him on twitter at @EddieBravo

Keg fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I saw in PSP that there were 9 people who read this thread. Then I went back to PSP and it showed 11 readers. 9...11... 9/11... Coincidence?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Keg posted:

I saw in PSP that there were 9 people who read this thread. Then I went back to PSP and it showed 11 readers. 9...11... 9/11... Coincidence?

I think not
This is a good and underappreciated post and thread and thank you for it

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
I can't believe you forgot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtyqaFc-8LQ

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Korean Zombie knows

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_j1sCfjEs

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

that was a good as heck op

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
It's Mastering the Rubber Guard that mostly consists of music videos, pranks, and Eddie getting baked, Mastering the Twister is all instruction. My favorite Eddie Bravo moment is when him and Shawn Williams were showing some moves together on This Week in BJJ and Eddie was talking about why they no longer used a position in the 10th planet system and Williams was like "Oh, why don't you just do this" and Eddie was completely dumbfounded.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdSivE9ECWk

Brent Brookhouse as Eddie Bravo posted:

"I'm gonna move my hands like this...put an Earth in there. Then I'm gonna grab the door handle...crumple it up like it's paper and use a wipe so that i'm crushing the paper in my hands. Immediately we're going to have me draw a line graph in the air with my finger. From there I'll hold a calendar with just the year on it while my other hand is under a levitating Brazil. Then some stuff will fall in my hands. Like lego pieces, but more abstract.

Next up? More levitating poo poo. Like...an atom and a light bulb. But the bulb should be off...until i turn it on with magic. Then I'll crush them together and say something about evolution while I hold a tiny point of light. Zoom on the light and into a CGI laboratory. Strip the gi off the blue man, put him in the same clothes I'm wearing because totally. Grainy footage of me grappling with...is there such a thing as a 'science font?' K, then I'm typing on one hand with the other hand and then I'll throw some CGI polaroids with words like 'offensive' and 'defensive' at the camera. Then I'll throw them again. More writing in the air. This time? Science poo poo. And stick a CGI microscope in front of me, in case people didn't pick up on that.

I'mma pull a DVD out of my back pocket and just slide it forward at the camera. So...stick an 'interface' there. Give me a media player shot of me beating Royler, but like...grainy and like something no one would want to use. Futuristic and poo poo. Need a CGI globe shot next. We're gonna list some places and point at them on it. Some of them will be countries, others will be continents. Who gives a poo poo? it's a spaceglobe. Let's use that science font again, put the word 'sync' up there for me to poke. Since I did that, let's do a different globe shot with the word 'synching,' right? gently caress it, let's walk past that sync button again a few seconds later and have it beep and poo poo. Next, i'll flex, give me a CGI super bicep. I'll hold a CGI ball while I do it. then I'll throw it at the screen and WHOA A FIREBALL. That should do it!"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
i was really disappointed that Eddie Bravo didn't morph into an animal at least once during that video

anyways I support everything this thread is about I'm just not sure what else to add.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
"My BJJ style is for MMA. That's why I don't have any guard passing or takedowns to speak of."

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Sprecherscrow posted:

"My BJJ style is for MMA. That's why I don't have any guard passing or takedowns to speak of."

lol

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Great thread op, there's not going to be a lot to be said after we've dredged all the gold from Bravo's philosophy of life but i'll always keep an eye out for threads like these if you want to make some more.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He used to be a strip club DJ and every other song was Whitesnake

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Is Eddie Bravo Johnny Bravo's drug-addled cousin?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

This is my favourite ludicrous Eddie Bravo move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7kYvHzNpLk

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Nino Schembri was cool

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

his half-guard stuff is pretty cool

his dvds are not

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
his stuff has so many names lol

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

"I'm known as one of his best Rubber Guard guys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90WSiEFeXw

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

"I'm known as one of his best Rubber Guard guys"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90WSiEFeXw

That dude was so afraid of the Rubber Guard that he took him down straight into mount.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I was always under the impression that the weird names for moves was so that during competition a competitors coach could shout the move named and the opponent wouldn't know what they were.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Gaz2k21 posted:

I was always under the impression that the weird names for moves was so that during competition a competitors coach could shout the move named and the opponent wouldn't know what they were.

you are giving eddie bravo way, way too much credit

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
great thread quick read with lots of thrills

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

holy poo poo

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Gaz2k21 posted:

He says he uses silly names so he could tell people what moves to do over the phone.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Keg posted:

He says he uses silly names so he could tell people what moves to do over the phone.

I'm going to take bong rips until this makes sense.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
we never have to learn the names, because the height of rubber guard was when Alan Belcher got a finish elbowing someone in his guard

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

we never have to learn the names, because the height of rubber guard was when Alan Belcher got a finish elbowing someone in his guard

Other way around. Belcher got elbowed from within Jason Day's Rubber Guard. I don't think it was the finish though.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Ccl5jY9do&t=452s

Eddie Bravo esplain the hubber gwuard

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

the best part is that rickson is probably in immense pain just getting down on his knees but plays along to be polite

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I liked when Ben Saunders got that omaplata it was the first time in a 100 years rubber guard worked and Eddie bravo was in his corner and looked just as surprised as any of us

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

rubber guard was really good in UFC Undisputed 3 as long as you remembered you can get to your feet instantly by breaking an omoplata attempt, so yeah.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
[in elderly voice] remember when "hold your foot" was a catchphrase around here

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVL3kPIz1k

Oh man, I think Eddie Bravo got some new editing software or something.

Edit: Oh my god, he got Florian to play Pacino in a parody of the Heat restaurant scene opposite Renato Laranja as De Niro.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 17, 2015

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Kenny Florian owns.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
eddie bravo is atleast partially responsible for bringing renato laranja to the world so you cant hate on him too much.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sprecherscrow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVL3kPIz1k

Oh man, I think Eddie Bravo got some new editing software or something.

Edit: Oh my god, he got Florian to play Pacino in a parody of the Heat restaurant scene opposite Renato Laranja as De Niro.

The Renato Laranja Show is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

The Renato Laranja Show is great

He's the main reason to watch Mastering the System.

Sprecherscrow fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 18, 2015

• Locked thread