Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

Hello I am here for the tourniquet!

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm in and will be adding flavor in a bit.

Glad to have you guys back!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Sum math jokes are terrible, when they don't add up.

Not to be negative, but math puns are absolutely terrible.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Scumteam spotted.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

Hail The! I am Hasteria, daughter of Acate the Bold. I hail from the Duchy of Leoninus, and serve the Queen of Arrentia.

imgay posted:

Greetings, I am The Rhino, Son of Greph'Lohac. I hail from the Eastern Reaches.

Greetings, friends. I am from the woods.

CCKeane posted:

I can't say I am terribly interested in talking about you either?

Not that I really care, but did day one officially start yet?

What is it that you like to talk about?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

i'm home and confirming that i'm vt.

Why would a vanilla townsperson come to the 'Tournament of Heroes', anyways? Isn't there a 'League of Ordinary Gentleman' or something for non-adventurers?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

votefinder posted:

Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (17): AnonymousNarcotics, Birdstrike, CapitalistPig, CCKeane, EccoRaven, garthoneeye, imgay, King Burgundy, merk, Murmur Twin, OmegaGoo, Opopanax, Pinterest Mom, QuoProQuid, Roydrowsy, TMMadman, yuming

With 17 alive, it's 9 votes to lynch. The current deadline is July 24th, 2015 at midnight EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 9 hours.

The first challenge will begin TONIGHT at 10 PM EST

Hello Merk! Why so secretive?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I can't say I am terribly interested in talking about you either?

Not that I really care, but did day one officially start yet?

---

I don't really care.

---

How boring.

---

Still don't care!

---

I just don't give a poo poo about what is happening.

On the surface, Keane would have us think that he isn't invested in the outcome. That, of course, begs the question: why enter a tournament that he doesn't care about?

Looking carefully at his posts, I feel like he is making this up to cover up something deeper:

CCKeane posted:

I hope the first mod challenge is erotic massage, since I don't care about Exakt's strange smells.

---

Its good that someone can fill in for me.

---

I have never been entertained.

Not

I think these quotes prove that Keane is emotionally invested, and suspect that he is trying to go unnoticed so that he can sneak his way towards the finish.

CCKeane posted:

You can vote me if you want, King B. I don't really have a strong opinion on that.

I call. ##vote CCKeane

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

OmegaGoo posted:

Ugh. I appear to have misplaced my bet.

OmegaGoo posted:

Um, whoops.

On a related note, dammit Roy! You were supposed to win!

OmegaGoo posted:

Clearly I should have bet on you!

Did I miss where you placed a bet? With whom / on what / for what?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

##vote murmur

CapitalistPig posted:

##vote murmur

What do you find scummy about my posting so far?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

that is a horrible no-good reason to vote for keane.

"Horrible no-good" or scummy? Or do you consider them synonymous?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EXAKT Science posted:

Just a friendly reminder that you should have at least 25 posts by the end of the day to avoid replacement. You can do it! I have all the faith in the world that you can :justpost: :)

I would argue that making a case at this point in the game, no matter how paper-thin, is pro-town.

CapitalistPig posted:

How about the horribly thin and dumb case on keane that looks like something a scum would make.

I think sitting back silently and waiting for other people to make cases is something scum would do, and is likely doing right now as we speak.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

"Horrible no-good" or scummy? Or do you consider them synonymous?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

Not once.

While I appreciate that people thought my case on Keane was genuine, I'm curious how people took it seriously when I took the above quote and pasted it as

CCKeane posted:

Not

I'm sure people have figured this out at this point but the goal was just to put out something for people to react to and judge accordingly.

King Burgundy posted:

Doesn't mean much given my current vote but I like this.

##vote KB

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Roydrowsy posted:

I am not above posting things to seek out reactions fro. Which to make judgement, but typically I ask for people to try and clarify and summarize information.

This feels more like a "trick" which puts you in a position to label people scummy for not having seen through your trick, it leaves things too open to your interpretation.

I don't know if I find it scummy, but i don't like it.

I feel that the whole goal of Mafia is to take things that are open to interpretation and to draw correct conclusions from them. Jokephase (and the challenges) don't necessarily give anything to analyze, so recently I've been opening games with bad cases to see what happens.

King Burgundy posted:

My opinion on this is consistent. This looks like flailing to me.

My vote wasn't based on your changing your opinion of Keane, it was based on your liking a bad case that supported your opinion (which made me think it may be fabricated). While I'm not sure what you mean by "flailing", I admit the vote is as flimsy as D1 cases usually are.

Opopanax posted:

Look at how Pinmom continued to refuse to defend his case, got really flippant about it, and jumped onto something else in the same page. How the hell am I getting votes when someone that scummy is scumming up the joint?

I kind of feel like you're doing to PMom what you're accusing PMom of doing to me? He voted on me for making a bad case, but I don't think it would make sense for him to go all-in on it given that it was the only case that had been made at the time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

yuming posted:

Murmur just did the same thing as scum in the last game we played and that makes me suspicious.

For what it's worth, I've either opened with an intentionally bad case or steadfastly agreed with someone else's clear joking case in my last few games as a way to segue out of jokephase.

WIFOA (I was scum)
Gnomefia (I was town)
League II (I was town)
Open Concept Mafia (I was town)

King Burgundy posted:

My reason for voting Keane was exactly the same as yours minus some words. You didn't think it was worth a vote initially. But now you do. To me that looks like you are trying anything to get out of the pressure you were under since I hadn't actually done anything new. Aka flailing.

My case was a joke, though (see also: where I intentionally changed the context of one of his quotes to fit my case). My read is that Keane's flavor is that of an apathetic adventurer, not that he's actually trying (and failing) to make us think he's emotionless. I thought your vote was a joke too, until you said you liked my case. Also, I wouldn't call PMom/CPigs votes on me without further explanation "pressure", at least not after the first case of the game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I can't say that I care that you are ignoring me, but it is curious that you're not giving opinions on Narco.

Sorry - missed your question before.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I don't see what's wrong with MMTs casing of keane. It's not a rock solid case but we don't have much to go on day 1. I don't agree with it, but i also don't think she's scum at this point. She seems to be the only person actually scum hunting.

---

I didn't say it was a good case. I said I don't think she's scum for being the only one actually trying to scum hunt when we have literally nothing to go on.

Town reads in general make me lean scum (as they're easy to use as scum since they're not lies), but that's not enough to make me feel strong about it.

Tmm why aren't you hounding merk about his flavor?

However, this question feels out of nowhere. It was asked only ten minutes after Merk started Hulk-posting, which makes me feel like it was motivated by a need to post something (instead of genuinely wanting to know).

ANarc - what made you ask this? I don't see (m)any other instances of TMM hounding people for their flavor, why not just engage Merk directly?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

Really? Since when are votes not pressure? That seems like a dishonest interpretation to me.

I see pressure as stress caused by the fear of a negative outcome. That isn't something I've felt at any point in this game so far, mostly because I feel like I can easily and truthfully explain the thought process behind any posts people might use to cast suspicion on me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

It is still pressure even if you aren't stressed about it. :). People talk about making cases or making a vote to apply pressure all the time. I know you know this and this conversation is really weird.

Since I feel like we're getting hung up on word selection: the votes on me had nothing to do with my subsequent casing of you, and that my vote on you was based on my read that you were supporting my case without actually reading what I was saying.

Yeah that was a joke reference to Swolfia

Didn't know that at all, fair enough.

EccoRaven posted:

##vote opop sincerevote. your posting is weirding me out.

How so?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Since I feel like we're getting hung up on word selection: the votes on me had nothing to do with my subsequent casing of you, and that my vote on you was based on my read that you were supporting my case without actually reading what I was saying.

King Burgundy posted:

OK that is super interesting and not what you said before. I'm phone posting so I can't do the elaborate casework but I am voting you for the bolded. I'll revisit this later with details.

##vote mmt

To quickly revisit my point of view:

King Burgundy posted:

Doesn't mean much given my current vote but I like this.

Murmur Twin posted:

While I appreciate that people thought my case on Keane was genuine, I'm curious how people took it seriously when I took the above quote and pasted it as

I'm sure people have figured this out at this point but the goal was just to put out something for people to react to and judge accordingly.

##vote KB

You said "I like this" to a case that was based on (a) Keane lying about being apathetic (how is that even scummy?) and (b) involved me changing one of Keane's quotes to reflect the non-serious point I was making. I voted because it didn't seem like a case that anyone who actually read it would genuinely like.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I think it's a little unfair to say someone isn't reading the case based on the fact that you removed a word in a quote. When someone posts a quote, I generally expect it to be unaltered or trimmed to down the relative point. Removing one word and then saying people aren't reading because they aren't clicking through and looking at the original post feels very dishonest.

I was just using that to illustrate the point that it was a less-than-serious case to begin with. Either way, it's not like I'm actively pushing to get KB lynched (I have him at null-lean-scum at the moment), it's more me explaining the thought process that led to my vote.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Good morning all!

Birdstrike posted:

I can see situations where something like Murmur's gambit would be useful. For example if you have an investigation result to clear a scummy-looking town, you might build a case on them and see who follows with the intent of exposing a scum or two.

One situation where this absolutely doesn't work is D1 so I think the shame rests with MurmurTwin most of all.

When you say "absolutely doesn't work", what do you think my intent was in making the case in the first place?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

OmegaGoo posted:

Trying to keep 16 different people's posts straight has been rather difficult.

Opop is seeming scummy to me for the same reason as in WIFOA... which means he could be town. I know for a fact my scumdar needs work, so as of right now that's a null-leaning-town there.

MMT is doing that thing that promotes discussion. Regardless of alignment, that's a pro-town thing. Null-leaning-town there.

I want my question to Roy answered. Nothing yet there.

KingB is town.

Considering my track record on betting, this might not be saying much, but I'll bet that one of Pmom or Keane is scum. Nothing solid there yet, so no vote from me yet.

TMM, aside from the glory, why did you want to win the challenge?

This post feels scummy to me:

(a) the actual scum calls on Keane and PMom aren't explained, and are kind of tacked onto the end of
(b) saying Opop is scummy, and then calling him (and me) null-lean-town
(c) saying KB is town (which, as mentioned before, I am inherently suspicious of)
(d) reiterating/asking questions to Roy/TMM that don't really have anything to do with scumhunting (to me it's natural that people would try and go for items/victory in the challenge regardless of flavor/alignment)

Goo: Why PMom and why not Opop for scum? Take me through the evolution on your reads there.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

l

CCKeane posted:

Overall I liked the move.

Gotcha! I knew you had a heart in there.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Birdstrike posted:

I have no idea. It doesn't strike me as scummy in itself, I just think that turning around at people and saying "ha ha you fell for my fake case" without knowing whether or not that case was correct or not is absurd.
At the time you posted you couldn't have evidence that Keane isn't scum. The exercise might have had value in showing who would follow bad cases, but it doesn't support any conclusions as to alignment.

Sorry that's wordier than I hoped I'm tired and about to sleep, be back in a few hours.

Basically, I felt that we were stuck in jokephase/challenge discussion and so I threw out a case to get Mafia-ing started. That's really all my intent was when I made it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

(a) Keane lying about being apathetic is scummy because it allows him to float through the thread without putting forth any opinions on scum, making cases, etc. It was not a joke vote, but I can see why someone would think it was. Your case was a wordier version of this, thus I agreed with it. --- I should point out here that Keane has started engaging with the thread and putting forth opinions, so this is now moot.

Ignoring that last quote that I changed, you read:

MT's initial case on Keane posted:

I hope the first mod challenge is erotic massage, since I don't care about Exakt's strange smells.

---

Its good that someone can fill in for me.

and thought that constituted proof that Keane isn't actually apathetic?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

LISTEN BROTHER

A VOTE FOR THE MERKSTER IS A VOTE FOR YOUR PAIN

*stares into camera*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGwe0XCo4Sw

Dare I ask for game-related opinions?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

yuming posted:

Ecco is also giving me ~vibes~

Did anyone do anything scummy during the challenge?

I'm gonna ##vote Ecco because of the feeling her posts give me.

yuming posted:

She did clarify~

Does anyone else think Ecco is scummy? Take a look please.

yuming posted:

I have a draft on Ecco but gtg now bbl~

I'm getting a scum vibe on yuming. If she was town I'd expect more of an effort to actually confirm/explain what it is about Ecco that she finds scummy; this seems more like an attempt to visibly have an opinion for the sake of not arousing suspicion.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

nah I'm not scum, sorry yuming. you should vote for opop instead since he is actually scum for the following reasons:

- pinging my gut
- jokes around rather than takes the game seriously
- this post is pretty bad just read it in context.

I read Opop's post and don't understand what's scummy about it - can you explain further?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Opopanax posted:

Saying I'm scum for joking around is like saying I'm scum for using the letter E

The last time I said you were scum for joking around, I was correct. :colbert:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

yuming posted:

Except I am going to and just posted before you made this comment that I was going to explain further.

~priorities~

Fair enough - I was just reading over the thread and posting thoughts as they came, I'm sure my read will evolve as the game continues.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

imgay posted:

I mean you can make that case, but I mean last game I played with you, you were dead-set on me being scum as town. So its not a real consistent thing to say.

It was mostly tongue-in-cheek anyways; the last time I cased Opop for joking as scum I was 100% bussing him.

imgay posted:

I'll be very intimate with you and answer any possible questions you have of me. I'm actively engaging you

Has anyone in this game stuck out to you as potentially scummy thus far? Who and why?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

I'm around a lot because I am bored but I'm finding it hard to break into the game. I'm also trying to not be the #1 Poster like I am in every other game since it inevitably draws negative attention to me regardless of alignment and I find it really tedious. I am throwing my vote around because I think it'll motivate me to feel more of a stake in the game.

This is a silly suspicion yuming. All votes this early in the game are easy, and being worried nobody could show up at deadline on day 1 is absurd, that's when everyone is around for a deadline (barring the deadline being at like 6am EDT on a sunday or some other insane thing like that).

everyone has bad feelings about me regardless of how much I post, it is a trend I have noticed.

If you're bored town, wouldn't the solution be to engage others to help move the game forward and generate discussion? Your answer to yuming's case seems to basically be "I'm not taking decisive stances on anything because I want to avoid negative attention", which seems to be the definition of a scum game. ##vote Ecco

EccoRaven posted:

birdstrike I think we should vote for... I like keane's case on goo. Do you?

EccoRaven posted:

I agree w/pmom about opop.

##vote opop

Can you explain these cases in your own words?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hi all - this is more of a quick post to explain that I probably won't be around until tomorrow evening night-ish. Sorry I wasn't around at deadline, I ended up falling asleep super early.

I don't want to go too heavy into casing until I have more time to specifically dedicate to it, but I will say that I think the ANarc case has merit. Combination of PMom's/Keane's reads and the fact that there was such resistance to an ANarc vote and a seemingly easy push to the yuming one.

merk posted:

Yeah, pretty rough news for the Hulkster. Guess I'm dropping the PR.

The timing of this game and Hulk Hogan being fired is pretty crazy - I'll admit that I heard the news on the radio and immediately thought of you :ohdear:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Uh...yes. That's exactly what I was saying. Off the top of my head, merk and keane were the ones I was thinking of. I also was suspish of imgay and cpig for the same reasons but looking back, they seem to have actually tried to contribute recently.

This was the post in question that PMom called out. Specifically, regarding whether or not imgay had, near that point, been trying harder than before. I went back a few pages and didn't see anything game-relevant.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Please point out where imgay has tried to contribute, ty.

He made one actually decent post. Which isn't much but does refute my point of him hiding behind flavor posts.

I'm trying to put myself in ANarc's shoes here if I were asked that question. If I were town and telling the truth about my read on imgay, I feel almost certain I would have quoted his effortpost specifically and further explained why I felt the way I did.

ANarc's answer (which had me confused because after reading the exchange I still didn't know to what she was reffering) didn't have that vibe. She doesn't quote it, nor does she particularly seem to want to talk about it. The guarded feel I get from her response is that she was fabricating an opinion on imgay that she couldn't defend.

##vote ANarc

Uh wow I just saw the item thing so I'm going to react to that in another post.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ignoring intentions for a second, I'm looking at Merk's case on yuming and I feel that it was made at a point after ANarc was starting to get some momentum going towards her.

On day 2, as PMom and Keane continue building a case on ANarc, Merk changes his tune - first subtly, then directly:

merk posted:

I will probably vote Anarc.

merk posted:

##vote OmegaGoo

You seem pretty certain Anarc is town for no reason I can discern.

merk posted:

People who said the yuming case was 'pretty weak' or 'really bad' who didn't comment on the yuming case as it was gaining votes:
OmegaGoo
Pinterest Mom
CCKeane

I am lynching one of these people today. OmegaGoo feels the best right now.

Merk - what is your read on ANarc at the moment?

(geez this game moves fast, this post is coming a few behind whatever's current)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

merk posted:

You called the case really bad. If it was really bad, where were you to point out its flaws? Why did that case win the day over Narc? If it was really bad why aren't you analyzing the players that supported it?

The question isn't whether the case on yuming was good or bad - it was a good case. That doesn't necessarily mean anything - it might have been because you're town who had a good scumread that was wrong, or it might be because you're scum who knew he could persuasively case the best.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think merk and ANarc are likely scumbuds, but I'm not going after merk until anarc flips.

:agreed:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Wow I guess if I don't quote people I'm scum. Because it's really hard to go look at someone's post history.

Here are some good merk posts

I swear if because of this post someone calls me scum for "town hunting" instead of scum hunting, I'm replacing out.

Please don't take offense! It's all a game. Can you understand how it might be suspicious that (a) both Merk cases came at times when you were under pressure, (b) the one on Omegagoo caused him to flop on his previous scum-read on you, and (c) you then rewarded him with an item for seeming "most town"?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Mmt that is complete bullshit because as soon as I was asked about it, I posted the quote with my reasoning. Your case is completely made up bullshit lies

I didn't see you refer to his post! My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I still stand by my assessment that your declaring Merk towniest combined with the timing of his cases / flopping opinion of you is suspicious. Regarding imgay, I retract what I said about you not explaining your information (but still question if his single post warranted that comment) and apologize if it seems like I was trying to fabricate something.

• Locked thread